Are we screwed now?

I am on SW Version 5.2.7.1 and get this error:

shell@sloane: /data/local/tmp $ ./mtk-su -v
Failed critical init step 1
setns failed: Permission denied
starting /system/bin/sh
UID: 2000 cap: 0000000000 selinux: enforcing
shell@sloane: /data/local/tmp $_

Is anyone still working on a fix or is the "rooting party" over?

mahanddeem

Nov 13, 2011
Excuse my ignorance what is the Benefit of root on the firestick?
I just got one, the 4k one

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
For your information, there is a new method for the FTV2 box out, since 2019.10.19. ;)

It isn't over, take a look here :p

Lmao, well thanks for being observant and fact checking my "misconception". Not sure how far along you've stayed tuned into my OP, but I bricked 2x AFTV2's in the process of experimenting for the sake of science after rooting them w/ the mtk-su exploit. Hopefully, I can be able to reverse the damage caused using this new root method you've presented me. Thanks

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
I bricked 2x AFTV2's in the process of experimenting for the sake of science after rooting them w/ the mtk-su exploit. Hopefully, I can be able to reverse the damage caused using this new root method you've presented me. Thanks

Yes, the unbrick is perfect for that. I'm sure you get this done :good:

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013

redeyedjedi

May 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Got a FireTV 2 at an estate sale and it was on 5.2.4.1

Anyone know why I have "permissive" but can't write the recovery?? See pic

Attachments

• 16617499322194179418918788853178.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 14

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013

redeyedjedi

May 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It says the filesystem is read-only and mount command isn't permitted, so you may check root access.

In case you have root access via mtk-su, you may step to this more recent guide over there:
It's way more superior, root via magisk including full bootloader unlock.
Ok, so it was a strange permission issue, but I got it figured out. I am rooted and updated to a pre rooted 5.2.6.7

As far as the bootloader unlock, the other thread is confusing. Can you verify that since I am on a rooted room < 5.2.7.3 that I can simply flash the amonet zip and have an unlocked bootloader without taking it apart? It's been too confusing for me to play catch-up on all the developments over the years and I just got this.
Simply put, go to the other thread, download the amonet 1.1 and flash away? No need to short dat0? I am on a rom less than 5.2.7.3

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Ok, so it was a strange permission issue, but I got it figured out. I am rooted and updated to a pre rooted 5.2.6.7
(y)
As far as the bootloader unlock, the other thread is confusing. Can you verify that since I am on a rooted room < 5.2.7.3 that I can simply flash the amonet zip and have an unlocked bootloader without taking it apart?
Yes.
It's been too confusing for me to play catch-up on all the developments over the years and I just got this.
Simply put, go to the other thread, download the amonet 1.1 and flash away? No need to short dat0? I am on a rom less than 5.2.7.3
Yes.
Then try to boot the new TWRP, in case that works fine, you can flash a clean stock rom, in order to get rid of the old twrp and the old supersu 'prerooted' system-install. From that point you can use stock roms and magisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that this process works on Update v5.2.6.8. Any other version beyond that your mileage may vary. "ADB debugging" and "Apps from Unknown Sources" should be enabled. I would like to thank the following members because without their resources this walkthrough wouldn't have been possible: @diplomatic for the exploit, @el7145 for leaving a cookie crumb trail of clues within his comments in this thread which I had to follow like the yellow brick road in order to repeat his success, @rbox for the custom recovery and pre-rooted image, and @AFTVnews.com because if it hadn't been for your article I probably would've never gotten my AFTV device rooted in time before the 5.2.6.9 OTA update. Oh, I almost forgot... and thanks @Chainfire for SuperSU ;). And also @teamfresno for the advice.

ACHIEVING TEMPORARY ROOT PERMISSIONS
    1. Download and install ADB on your PC.
    2. Download "mtk-su_r4.zip" and extract "arm64" folder in ADB install directory (C:\adb).
    3. Run command below:
    Code:
    adb connect 192.168.0.XX
    (IP address of your Fire TV device)
    4. Transfer mtk-su to your /data/local/tmp folder:
    Code:
    adb push C:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
    5. Open an adb shell:
    Code:
    adb shell
    6. Change to your tmp directory:
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    7. Add executable permissions to the binary:
    Code:
    chmod 755 mtk-su
    8. Run the exploit:
    Code:
    ./mtk-su
    NOTE – The following line should display:
    New UID/GID: 0/e
    9. Ensure that mtk-su succeeded in setting selinux to permissive by typing the following command:
    Code:
    getenforce

INSTALLING TWRP & SLOANE
    1. Download rbox's TWRP custom recovery and the latest pre-rooted ROM from your PC and copy it to the root of a USB stick [or microSD card].
    2. Connect the USB stick [or microSD] to your AFTV2.
    3. Change to USB Storage directory:
    Code:
    cd /storage/usbotg/
    NOTE – If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    cd /storage/sdcard1
    4. Run the zip file. This will automatically run SU:
    Code:
    sh /storage/usbotg/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    sh /storage/sdcard1/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    NOTE – It should print out a following lines:
    Extracting unzip...
    Remounting /system read-write...
    Extracting...
    Remounting /system read-only...
    5. Reboot to Recovery:
    Ctrl+C (closes out previously ran script)
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    6. Your AFTV2 should reboot to a black screen displaying the Amazon logo, followed by a prompt stating that the device will automatically restart, but if not to unplug then re-plug the power source. It will not automatically restart, but DO NOT unplug the device yet.
    KAbxGiTl.jpg

7. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a USB stick then you will need to disconnect it from the AFTV2, and connect a USB hub with at least 2 ports to the AFTV2, and connect both a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the hub at this time. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a microSD then connect a keyboard to the empty USB port at this time.
    8. Now unplug then re-plug the power source and you will be presented with the TWRP splash screen.
    9. At the boot menu, press the RIGHT arrow key on the USB keyboard to boot into TWRP recovery.
    NOTE – whatever you do DON'T let your AFTV2 idle for too long on the initial recovery boot menu screen or it will time out thus restarting, requiring you to repeat the prior steps.
    10. Use the arrow keys to select the "Install" in TWRP.
    11. "Select Storage", and choose the location where you stored the pre-rooted ROM.
    12. Select "Swipe to Confirm Flash" to start the installation.
    Xcxq6rCl.jpg

13. Select "Reboot System" once the file has finished installing in order to restart the AFTV2.
    8CADuQ2l.jpg

VfaSysnl.jpg

For those feeling a little adventurous/ambitious then feel free to follow this guide created by @g422 as he discuses where to go from here by delving into other avenues to truly tap into the power of your AFTV2 such as what's "Xposed" and the benefits it offers for rooting your device, and also how to backup your current Fire OS install using TWRP.

Also shouts out to @PhoenixMark who created a guide for Mac users based on my write-up as how to enable root here.
    Do not update FW to 5.2.7.0

Just a heads up, the new firmware that's being rolled out, 5.2.7.0, has a problem with mtk-su. If you want to keep the ability to use mtk-su on your Fire TV 2, turn off automatic updates somehow. If doing a manual update, at least keep the old boot image. There's strong reason to believe that Amazon has blocked mtk-su in this release. Spread the word...
    Interesting results. And what led you guys to believe that this is compatible with Fire TV stick or Fire TV 1?

Some posts in this thread talking about "got it working on fire TV", the fact that there is a 32 bit version of mtk-su, and someone having the same problem with a ftv 2 got me into thinking that its maybe possible.

To everybody that got fooled like me - it obviously won't ever work on FTV 1. Thanks anyway for the work, OP.
    Awesome guide! Thanks for the detailed write up.

I have an issue. After Step 8. ./mtk-su, I get this message - New UID/GID: 0/0. I think its not running the exploit for some reason. When I complete the other steps and reboot to recovery, I get the message adb: not found. I also checked getenforce and it says Permissive.

Any help here?

------

I dropped the adb part. Just enter "reboot recovery'.
    Oh wow, looks like that exploit spread like wildfire!!

Wonder if anybody will see if this works for the firestickv2 (I don't trust myself to crack the case of mine open lol)

It's worth looking into. Since I currently own one as well I'll see a/b performing these same instructions and post my findings at some point in time.