How to root the Amazon FireTV

Search This thread

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
I just picked up a FTV, and it was running the 51.1.0.1 firmware. I was able to install towelroot, but when I installed SuperSU, and launched it, nothing happened. I then installed BusyBox, and it did ask me for permissions from SuperSU, so does that mean SuperSU installed properly? BusyBox says it's installed too.

drumst1x

Jun 14, 2013
I just picked up a FTV, and it was running the 51.1.0.1 firmware. I was able to install towelroot, but when I installed SuperSU, and launched it, nothing happened. I then installed BusyBox, and it did ask me for permissions from SuperSU, so does that mean SuperSU installed properly? BusyBox says it's installed too.

When you opened busy box and tried to install it, did you get a prompt asking you to grant SuperUser access to BusyBox? If yes, then you are rooted. If no, then i'm not sure, but you SHOULD have gotten that prompt. Another test you can do, is connect via ADB and type adb shell then once you're in the shell, type "su" enter. Once you type that, you should get a prompt on the screen asking you to grant access to adb. As long as you see SuperSU asking you about access, and you're able to grant it, you're rooted. If you've already granted access, then instead of a prompt, you should see a toast notification stating that access has been granted.

Good luck.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com

Sounds like it if you were getting superuser permissions.

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
Yeah, I think I'm good. I love this thing. I have it in my living room, and it's connected wirelessly, and I'm streaming 30gb BluRay rips from my PC, with zero issues.

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
I'm planning/hoping to pick my fire TV up on Friday. Will this method still work?

I've been reading conflicting ideas on various other sights.

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Yeah, I think I'm good. I love this thing. I have it in my living room, and it's connected wirelessly, and I'm streaming 30gb BluRay rips from my PC, with zero issues.

How are you doing this wirelessly? What are you using to stream such large video wirelessly, without buffering issues?
if you don't mind me asking

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
How are you doing this wirelessly? What are you using to stream such large video wirelessly, without buffering issues?
if you don't mind me asking

My router is an ASUS AC1900 Dual Band Router, and the signal is very strong.The AFTV is connected to the router using 5Ghz. I also have Comcast Blast, which is 105Mbps.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I'm planning/hoping to pick my fire TV up on Friday. Will this method still work?

I've been reading conflicting ideas on various other sights.

The method will work, but all the newer AFTV's are shipped with the newest firmware, which can't be rooted.Best Buy and Staples are supposedly the best places to find one that can still be rooted. They are on sale for $84 at both places right now, until the 21st. Use this when you go to buy one, and it will tell you if it is still rootable.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-serial-number-decoder/

Last edited:

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
That's great because as much as I dislike going to best buy that's where i intended on getting mine.

Thanks for that link buddy! I actually saw that the other day and didn't bookmark it like a dummy.

I haven't had the opportunity of reading through many threads yet but is there an app similar to titanium that allows you to uninstall bloat?

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
That's great because as much as I dislike going to best buy that's where i intended on getting mine.

Thanks for that link buddy! I actually saw that the other day and didn't bookmark it like a dummy.

I haven't had the opportunity of reading through many threads yet but is there an app similar to titanium that allows you to uninstall bloat?

There really isn't any bloatware on these things.

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
There really isn't any bloatware on these things.

OK. I'm only familiar with rooting my galaxy 1 and s3.

Don't want annoy by asking many questions because I haven't read much but is it similar to rooting a phone?

CWM,kernels and things of that nature?

I'm wondering if I'll be and to uninstall apps that come with as is without root or if I can only do that by rooting?

I'm not to concerned with changing the ui and using exposed mods.
With that being said and what little info I've given you would you assume that I'd be happy with as is out of the box or is rooting this device really help with much other that the ui and such?

Most apps that I want to use can be side loaded.

Sorry for derailing this thread but your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sick and tired of my roku 3.

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
OK. I'm only familiar with rooting my galaxy 1 and s3.

Don't want annoy by asking many questions because I haven't read much but is it similar to rooting a phone?

CWM,kernels and things of that nature?

I'm wondering if I'll be and to uninstall apps that come with as is without root or if I can only do that by rooting?

I'm not to concerned with changing the ui and using exposed mods.
With that being said and what little info I've given you would you assume that I'd be happy with as is out of the box or is rooting this device really help with much other that the ui and such?

Most apps that I want to use can be side loaded.

Sorry for derailing this thread but your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sick and tired of my roku 3.

They aren't like rooting a phone. No CWM or kernels to deal with. As far as root, I don't know what they are like when they aren't rooted, because mine is rooted. I know you need to be rooted to have the AFTV go directly to Kodi when you boot it up, instead of going to the Amazon home menu. You would also need to be rooted to manually update to the latest firmware if you wanted to. I haven't felt the need to update my firmware though.

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
Sounds like I probably won't root. Thanks for the info and help though. Is the devil good with live sports and is navi-x still around?

How hard is it to add add ons?
I'd imagine you would put the .zip on a flash drive and add them they way. That sound about right. If not don't worry about supplying a link. Google is your friend after all

You mind pm'ing me your must have add ons of you don't mind?

I've dabbled with xbmc but it was on my phone and that was about 2 years ago. It was laggy and I only did it to check it out, not to really benefit from it.
Thanks again

Last edited:

lennie paz

Sep 6, 2010
Illadelphia
Sounds like I probably won't root. Thanks for the info and help though. Is the devil good with live sports and is navi-x still around?

How hard is it to add add ons?
I'd imagine you would put the .zip on a flash drive and add them they way. That sound about right. If not don't worry about supplying a link. Google is your friend after all

You mind pm'ing me your must have add ons of you don't mind?

I've dabbled with xbmc but it was on my phone and that was about 2 years ago. It was laggy and I only did it to check it out, not to really benefit from it.
Thanks again
Install the addon installer. All of the good addons are in there.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-manually-install-the-addon-installer-for-xbmc/

Reactions: hank3fan and MJD

Zacharybinx34

Mar 20, 2012
I got a new Fire TV and it has the newest firmware built on it.

Is there anyway at all to root now?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts