How to root the Amazon FireTV

Search This thread

Chinomedic

Feb 16, 2015
HD firestick

Not sure if this is the proper way to start this thread , I am trying to find out in order to use showbox I need a remote with a pad on it so it has a cursor on the screen. I have purchased several remotes with no success. Helpppppppp. Thank you !

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
How about we send emails to amazon asking why usb isn't available for storage and showing disappointment?

I have already sent mine.

the easy answer is: marketing/greed - easy enough to speculate that spamazon wants you to either:
- subscribe/pay for Prime.
and/or
- have all your videos/music/etc. in their cloud, i.e. also pay for it all.

allowing usb storage would mess up that business model. this is my guess, anyway.

you can still always set up a NAS and mount it with ES file explorer or directly within XBMC/Kodi, at least.

what I wonder is, what benefit they get out of screwing up bluetooth devices. it's not like they want to limit you to their own controller hardware, since they do allow psx controllers, ouya controllers, some certain keyboards/mice. and why have such poor support for BT audio?

I already have an Echo arriving in 04/2015, will be interesting to see how much (or none) interaction is provided with KFTV -- bluetooth or otherwise.

I can understand the overall fact they are trying so hard to keep FTV/FTVS unrooted - they are selling these powerful devices (quite cheaply, quite possibly at a loss) and their real way of making way more money is the UI they are forcing you to watch, and the various content they are selling. I don't like that model, but I'd say it's halfway smart, and it's not exactly evil or anything.

just remember: "if you are getting something for free, you are not the consumer; you are the product being sold."

alwaysbless

Nov 24, 2012
San Diego
I picked up 2 FTVS on saturday and rooted both without issue. Method is to use open dns to block the update sites and plug the FTV in with an ethernet cable before booting, itll fail and ask you if youde like to skip updating and just login in with your amazon account. From there you will be able to root and install recovery.

navigates

Jun 28, 2014
I picked up 2 FTVS on saturday and rooted both without issue. Method is to use open dns to block the update sites and plug the FTV in with an ethernet cable before booting, itll fail and ask you if youde like to skip updating and just login in with your amazon account. From there you will be able to root and install recovery.

What Series did you pick up. Was it 3? With series 2 I couldn't get passed the forced update. By Series 3 I mean 70900305 - 305 or 303. etc.

btw where did you pick them up from. The bestbuy and staples all have new stocks now. :( I'm looking for one more.

piscean008

Feb 20, 2015
I am planning on buying a new fire tv I will use this mainly for XMBC/Kodi. Is this still rootable ? I heard amazon will blow up the efuse with their new firmware update. Or Should I go with google nexus player ?

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
I just bought one yesterday at best buy. I checked the serial numbers on 15 of them and none of them could be rooted

navigates

Jun 28, 2014
It's getting harder to find the rootable ones. I just got one on eBay which is rootable. I too couldn't find it in bestbuy and staples. They all have the new serials

xaudiblex

Apr 20, 2008
Same here in Dallas. They were all nicely lined up and all of them were the new revisions...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SPiKeGoD

Jul 17, 2008
Is it possible to root the new 4k devices?

Software version: Fire OS 6.2.6.5 (NS6265/2157)
Init fire tv version: 6.1.7.0-713

Top Liked Posts