[HOW-TO] Root the Shield TV

Search This thread

RyanInBinary

May 30, 2015
First of all, let me say this isn't my post, and I didn't develop this method. The user, "Teletype" got this all figured out and did an amazing write-up for it. I'm posting it on their behalf so it can be in this newly added forum. The link to the recovery zip is also in his original thread, which I've linked below.

Here's the link to his original thread. If you feel the urge to press "thanks", please go to his original thread and press it for him, he deserves all the credit.

I just managed to get TWRP running on the new Shield console, and installed SuperSU successfully. Two caveats: the display is upside down, and the USB host ports don't work. I had to plugin a mouse via an OTG cable in order to interact with it. ETA: That's only an issue when booted to TWRP. Everything's working fine in the stock ROM after rooting.

Procedure:
- enable developer tools / USB debugging
- adb push supersu.zip /sdcard
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot oem unlock
- fastboot boot twrp-2.8.6.0-shieldtv-unofficial.img
- unplug USB cable, connect mouse via USB, install SuperSU

TWRP boot image is attached. Off to explore...

EDIT: by request, some more detailed instructions:

• On the Shield device, head to Settings -> About, and click "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's Developer options.
  • Go to Settings -> Developer options, and enable USB debugging.
  • Install the ADB/fastboot drivers and utilities if you don't already have them. When "adb devices" shows your Shield, you're good to go.
  • Download and extract recovery.zip from this thread.
  • Head to the SuperSU forum and download the latest version.
  • Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where you downloaded everything. (Google this for your OS if you don't know how).
  • With the Shield still booted, run "adb push supersu.zip /sdcard" (change supersu.zip to appropriate file name). This will upload the SuperSU update zip to your device, which you'll install from TWRP.
  • If that worked fine, run "adb reboot bootloader". Your device should shut down, and display the Fastboot screen after a few seconds.
  • FOLLOW THE NEXT THREE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. This WILL wipe all your user data, back it up with ADB first if you want to preserve it. DISCLAIMER #2: I have no idea if there are any DRM keys or anything that get wiped when this is done (this was the case on my Xperia Z3 Compact). I will say that Grid streaming still works fine after doing this.
  • This step will unlock your bootloader to enable booting unsigned images.
  • Run "fastboot devices" and make sure your Shield is visible.
  • Run "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the prompts on the screen. Your bootloader is now unlocked.
  • Now, boot the TWRP image with: "fastboot boot twrp-2.8.6.0-shieldtv-unofficial.img" - Note: I used this instead of "fastboot flash" so I could keep the stock recovery around, to grab an image of it after rooting.
  • You should now see a TWRP recovery menu (upside down for now).
  • Connect a keyboard or mouse via OTG cable, and select "Install", navigate to your SuperSU zip, select it, and follow the prompts.
  • Click "reboot" and you should now be rooted.

RyanInBinary

May 30, 2015
You can use the supplied micro USB cable to do the adb portion. You shouldn't ever need otg with this device since it also has 2 full sized USB ports.

Sent from my nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

NapalmDawn

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh
Instructions got updated

Hi,

I have updated the instructions to ones that more closely aligned with my experience of doing this. The initial instructions were good for me - but some were in slightly the wrong order or not quite clear enough to be immediately intuitive. I've tried to fix that Hope it helps.

On the Shield device, head to Settings -> About, and click "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's Developer options.
Exit settings, then go back in to settings -> Developer options, and enable USB debugging.
Install the ADB/fastboot drivers and utilities on to your PC if you don't already have them. When "adb devices" shows your Shield, you're good to go.
Download the latest Super user zip file from the super user thread here.
Download and extract the recovery file from here. (it needs to be a .img not a .zip)
run "adb reboot bootloader". Your device should shut down, and display the Fastboot screen after a few seconds.
FOLLOW THE NEXT THREE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. This WILL wipe all your user data, back it up with ADB first if you want to preserve it. DISCLAIMER #2: I have no idea if there are any DRM keys or anything that get wiped when this is done.
This step will unlock your bootloader to enable booting unsigned images.
Run "fastboot devices" and make sure your Shield is listed when you do so.
Run "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the prompts on the Shield's screen. You use the power button on the shield device itself to navigate the menu, and long press to select an option. Once you have confirmed, this can take along time to unlock (hour and a half for me on the Pro version). Your bootloader is now unlocked.
"Fastboot reboot" to reboot to AndroidTV.
run "adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/" (change supersu.zip to appropriate file name that you downloaded earlier). This will upload the SuperSU update zip to your device, which you'll install from TWRP.
Now, boot the TWRP image with: "fastboot boot RECOVERYFILENAME.img" - Note: I used this instead of "fastboot flash" so I could keep the stock recovery around, to grab an image of it after rooting. (change the name of the file in the instructions to the name of your recovery file that you downloaded).
After a short while you should now see a TWRP recovery menu.
Connect a keyboard or mouse via OTG cable, and select "Install", navigate to your SuperSU zip, select it, and follow the prompts.
Click "reboot" and you should now be rooted.

Gig11gs

Sep 13, 2010
Kuwait
Hey, I have rooted my shield and I didn't backup my stock recovery, anyone have a stock recovery img, I want to update to 1.4
Thanks

bradleyw801

Jul 20, 2010
Salt Lake City
Can anyone confirm this rooting method works for new firmware 2.1?

I struggled to get root with this write up, and I am not a rookie. There were a few key steps missing, for example, you actually have to flash twrp, you can't just boot from twrp as suggested, if you are on 1.4 and up. Also, you have to let the unit reboot after you do the OEM unlock before flashing twrp. I didn't and mine just froze after flashing the recovery img. I found this write up http://nvidiashieldzone.com/index.php/shield-android-tv/root-shield-android-tv/

That one in the shield zone forum was so much more complete. And yes, it worked just fine with the 2.1 update. I did it yesterday with no problems. It will wipe out your data, and it will take a long time after you do the fastboot oem unlock, especially if you have the PRO version. But root is working with no problems.

Last edited:

guhaishusheng

Nov 16, 2015
First of all, let me say this isn't my post, and I didn't develop this method. The user, "Teletype" got this all figured out and did an amazing write-up for it. I'm posting it on their behalf so it can be in this newly added forum. The link to the recovery zip is also in his original thread, which I've linked below.

Here's the link to his original thread. If you feel the urge to press "thanks", please go to his original thread and press it for him, he deserves all the credit.

Do you want to build pre-root shiled TV firmware by nvidia open source? and have experience?

bearkilla

Sep 26, 2007
OK i have a 16gb model on 2.1, got adb hooked up but get this when trying to push supersu.zip to sdcard0:

C:\shield>adb push supersu.zip /sdcard1
failed to copy 'supersu.zip' to '/sdcard1': Read-only file system

Any ideas?

lupick

Mar 10, 2006
OK i have a 16gb model on 2.1, got adb hooked up but get this when trying to push supersu.zip to sdcard0:

C:\shield>adb push supersu.zip /sdcard1
failed to copy 'supersu.zip' to '/sdcard1': Read-only file system

Any ideas?
Try

Adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/

Inviato dal mio SHIELD Tablet utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: bearkilla

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions got updated

Hi,

I have updated the instructions to ones that more closely aligned with my experience of doing this. The initial instructions were good for me - but some were in slightly the wrong order or not quite clear enough to be immediately intuitive. I've tried to fix that Hope it helps.

On the Shield device, head to Settings -> About, and click "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's Developer options.
    Exit settings, then go back in to settings -> Developer options, and enable USB debugging.
    Install the ADB/fastboot drivers and utilities on to your PC if you don't already have them. When "adb devices" shows your Shield, you're good to go.
    Download the latest Super user zip file from the super user thread here.
    Download and extract the recovery file from here. (it needs to be a .img not a .zip)
    run "adb reboot bootloader". Your device should shut down, and display the Fastboot screen after a few seconds.
    FOLLOW THE NEXT THREE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. This WILL wipe all your user data, back it up with ADB first if you want to preserve it. DISCLAIMER #2: I have no idea if there are any DRM keys or anything that get wiped when this is done.
    This step will unlock your bootloader to enable booting unsigned images.
    Run "fastboot devices" and make sure your Shield is listed when you do so.
    Run "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the prompts on the Shield's screen. You use the power button on the shield device itself to navigate the menu, and long press to select an option. Once you have confirmed, this can take along time to unlock (hour and a half for me on the Pro version). Your bootloader is now unlocked.
    "Fastboot reboot" to reboot to AndroidTV.
    run "adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/" (change supersu.zip to appropriate file name that you downloaded earlier). This will upload the SuperSU update zip to your device, which you'll install from TWRP.
    Now, boot the TWRP image with: "fastboot boot RECOVERYFILENAME.img" - Note: I used this instead of "fastboot flash" so I could keep the stock recovery around, to grab an image of it after rooting. (change the name of the file in the instructions to the name of your recovery file that you downloaded).
    After a short while you should now see a TWRP recovery menu.
    Connect a keyboard or mouse via OTG cable, and select "Install", navigate to your SuperSU zip, select it, and follow the prompts.
    Click "reboot" and you should now be rooted.

I just managed to get TWRP running on the new Shield console, and installed SuperSU successfully. Two caveats: the display is upside down, and the USB host ports don't work. I had to plugin a mouse via an OTG cable in order to interact with it. ETA: That's only an issue when booted to TWRP. Everything's working fine in the stock ROM after rooting.

Procedure:
    - enable developer tools / USB debugging
    - adb push supersu.zip /sdcard
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot oem unlock
    - fastboot boot twrp-2.8.6.0-shieldtv-unofficial.img
    - unplug USB cable, connect mouse via USB, install SuperSU

TWRP boot image is attached. Off to explore...

EDIT: by request, some more detailed instructions:

• On the Shield device, head to Settings -> About, and click "Build number" 7 times. This will enable Android's Developer options.
    • Go to Settings -> Developer options, and enable USB debugging.
    • Install the ADB/fastboot drivers and utilities if you don't already have them. When "adb devices" shows your Shield, you're good to go.
    • Download and extract recovery.zip from this thread.
    • Head to the SuperSU forum and download the latest version.
    • Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where you downloaded everything. (Google this for your OS if you don't know how).
    • With the Shield still booted, run "adb push supersu.zip /sdcard" (change supersu.zip to appropriate file name). This will upload the SuperSU update zip to your device, which you'll install from TWRP.
    • If that worked fine, run "adb reboot bootloader". Your device should shut down, and display the Fastboot screen after a few seconds.
    • FOLLOW THE NEXT THREE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. This WILL wipe all your user data, back it up with ADB first if you want to preserve it. DISCLAIMER #2: I have no idea if there are any DRM keys or anything that get wiped when this is done (this was the case on my Xperia Z3 Compact). I will say that Grid streaming still works fine after doing this.
    • This step will unlock your bootloader to enable booting unsigned images.
    • Run "fastboot devices" and make sure your Shield is visible.
    • Run "fastboot oem unlock" and follow the prompts on the screen. Your bootloader is now unlocked.
    • Now, boot the TWRP image with: "fastboot boot twrp-2.8.6.0-shieldtv-unofficial.img" - Note: I used this instead of "fastboot flash" so I could keep the stock recovery around, to grab an image of it after rooting.
    • You should now see a TWRP recovery menu (upside down for now).
    • Connect a keyboard or mouse via OTG cable, and select "Install", navigate to your SuperSU zip, select it, and follow the prompts.
    • Click "reboot" and you should now be rooted.
    Can anyone confirm this rooting method works for new firmware 2.1?

I struggled to get root with this write up, and I am not a rookie. There were a few key steps missing, for example, you actually have to flash twrp, you can't just boot from twrp as suggested, if you are on 1.4 and up. Also, you have to let the unit reboot after you do the OEM unlock before flashing twrp. I didn't and mine just froze after flashing the recovery img. I found this write up http://nvidiashieldzone.com/index.php/shield-android-tv/root-shield-android-tv/

That one in the shield zone forum was so much more complete. And yes, it worked just fine with the 2.1 update. I did it yesterday with no problems. It will wipe out your data, and it will take a long time after you do the fastboot oem unlock, especially if you have the PRO version. But root is working with no problems.
    I have a new problem at the booting TWRP stage:

C:\shield>fastboot devices
    042201505391700001be fastboot

C:\shield>fastboot boot twrp-multirom-20151112-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 0.831s]
    booting...
    OKAY [ 0.000s]
    finished. total time: 0.847s

And the screen just stays on factory fastboot, TWRP does not appear.

With latest OTA you can not boot twrp directly

you need to flash it:

fastboot flash recovery twrp-multirom-20151112-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

then load custom kernel recovery
    Anyone tried kingroot?