[How to] Root, TWRP, Flash A300FU / A300Y Noob friendly guide

Search This thread

Jonny_Hood

Nov 17, 2014
Mülheim / Ruhr
Bevor you do something with your Device do a Backup of all your Data (Contacts, Pic´s ect.) outside of your Device (in a Cloud or on your PC)
I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD Cards, broken phone chargers etc.​
You do all at your own Risk!​

If you are new, just work the first 3 steps from top to bottom.​

Flash Root & Odin3:
At the https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ site you can Download the the Root File for your Device (Link to A300FU). When you Downloaded the "CF-Auto-Root-xxx.zip" File unzip it. In this zip you will find the Odin3xxx.exe and the Root .tar.md5 File
You need this Odin3 tool also for TWRP and going Back to Stock Rom
For Root: Make sure your device is in ODIN download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the included Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the Root .tar.md5 file, and click Start, never interrupt this action! You can find more detailed instructions and assistance at [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root Thread

Flash TWRP:
You can Download the TWRP File at the [RECOVERY][ROOT][TWRP 3.0.2-1]Samsung Galaxy A3(2015) SM-A300F/FU/G/H/M Thread. I recommend the Build from Post 80 it has working MTP & OTG for the FU Device!
To Install Start download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the TWRPxxx.tar file, and click Start, never interrupt this action! After Reboot you can get there by holding VolUp+Home+Power when the device is turned off.
There are also a TWRP 2.8.7.0 and a TWRP 3.0.0-0 but both have small bugs so i recommend TWRP 3.0.2-1 only if you have Problems try to downgrade
TWRP Bugs:
TWRP 2.8.7.0 Can only Install CM12.1 ROMs, it has no MTP & no OTG
TWRP 3.0.0-0 Can only Install CM13 ROM & it has no MTP but OTG is Working
TWRP 3.0.2-1 Can not install @cbolumar ROMs and the Build from Opening Post has no OTG
TWRP 3.1.0 Only tested with LineageOS, it still has no MTP!!!

Flash a Custom ROM:
You can Install a ROM now with TWRP you can enter TWRP by holding VolUp+Home+Power when the device is turned off.
In TWRP IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO DO FIRST A BACKUP! (I Recommend to placed at the SD Card)
Backup -> Storage : Micro SDcard -> Ok -> [x] Boot, [x] System, [x] Data, [x] Cache, [x] Recovery, [x] EFS, [x] MODEM, [x] APNHLOS -> Swipe to Backup
If anything goes wrong you can easy Restore your Device in TWRP without losing anything, so it's also recommended to Backup your Custom ROM
Now you need your Custom Rom, Google Apps like Opengapps for ARM and i recommend latest Magisk[/URL, OR (if you prefer) [URL="http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu"]SuperSU to Manage Root Access.
Place this zip Files at your Device (I Recommend to placed at the SD Card)
Now you enter TWRP and go to:
Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> [x] Dalvik / ART Cache, [x] System, [x] Data, [x] Cache -> Swipe to Wipe
Now go back to main menu and select:
Install -> Storage : Micro SDcard -> Ok -> now choose your ROM zip first, you can "Add More Zips" and choose Gapps zip and if you want you can Add direct Magsik OR SuperSU zip as well -> Swipe to Confirm Flash
After placing files the Device need a Reboot, at the First Start it will Install your Rom, so be patiently at first start!

Flash Xposed:
Magisk user on Android M (6.x) or better follow this Thread [2018.5.6][Magisk] Systemless Xposed v89.3/v90.2-beta3 (SDK 21-27) by topjohnwu

SuperSU user on Android M (6.x) or better follow this Thread [OFFICIAL] Xposed for Lollipop/Marshmallow/Nougat/Oreo [v90-beta3, 2018/01/29]

info:
SDK 21: Android 5.0 | SDK 22: Android 5.1 | SDK 23: Android 6.0 | SDK 24: Android 7.0 | SDK 25: Android 7.1 | SDK 26: Android 8.0 | SDK 27: Android 8.1

at CM12.1 ROM's Offical Xposed works fine.
Download the "sdk22-arm" zip, and Install it with TWRP first start need a long time! be patient!
After the Framework is installed you install the "XposedInstaller" apk, done.
For stock rom you should visit [UNOFFICIAL] Xposed for Samsung Lollipop by arter97 but it´s for deodex'ed ROMs for this you should visit [Deodex][SM-A300] Deodex Thread for Samsung Galaxy A3
Working only on MM touchwiz (tested by me on A300FU with TWRP 3.0.2-1)
How to install:
- Install this Xposed Installer App version http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440
- Make a nandroid backup
- Copy the Xposed file and the uninstaller to your sdcard
- Flash "xposed-vxx.x-sdkxx-tw-armxx-custom-build-by-wanam-xxxxxxxx.zip" through a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM...)
- Reboot and Waiiiiiiiiit, it may take several minutes to boot up depending on your Rom size.

xposed.zip download (ARM SDK23)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424962808

Official thread link:
http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3180960

Flash Stock ROM:
Download your Firmware at Sammobile than i recommend you to Wipe all (Advanced Wipe) in TWRP except the SDcard!
Boot your Device in ODIN download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the .tar.md5 file, and click Start, never interrupt this action!
After doing this you lose TWRP and Root so if you need it you have to install it new.
You should not try to Flash 4.x ROMs it could Brick your Device!
With a Stock Marshmallow ROM it is recommended to use a Custom Kernel

A300FU / A300Y Custom Kernel:
Kraken Kernel R1 from @bulgar
Will only work with at Stock Marshmallow (6.x) ROM
-soon- LineageOS Support

hadesKernel from @corsicanu

A300FU / A300Y Modification:
[MOD][Stock Rom] Enable More Quick Tiles on Touchwiz from @astrit1
Will only work with at Stock Lollipop (5.x) ROM
There are still the following Bugs:
No Bugs

[ROM][A300FU][6.0.1] [GS]Mod from @[GS]
Private Mode Not Work

WHASISTROM We have a simple stock rom [A300FU/OL3/OJ5] from @nowheel Discontinued
Bad news i abbandoned project.. after my hdd is broken with project and all whasistrom file, work document and other.

A300FU / A300Y Custom ROMs:
Check also in All Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015)'s ROMs Thread from @Falaysia

-Recommended-
LineageOS 15.1 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015) from @vl_w
* FM works only on headphones
* Unable to capture video in 1080p (only 720р works)
* Incorrectly work with secondary sim (incall sound issues)
* On FU and H doesn't adjusting flahlight brightness
* On H incorrectly detecting battery temperature
* Hardware keystore doesn't work (only software)
* NFC sometimes doesn't work

LineageOS 14.1 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 from @vl_w
no Bugs

CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy A3 from @evilracer123 Discontinued
OP is no longer working on a300fu :(
In the Opening Post is not the latest Build!
This is the post with the last Build from 19th January 2016 ;)

-SoD´s (can be Fixed for the most users by using CPU Awake - Wake Lock with Unlimited time & Activate on Reboot (Clean Master turns it off btw) or Wake Lock - PowerManager with "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK")
-Preview in stock camera (can be Fixed by change Resolution to 16:9 in Settings)
-FM Radio not Working (can be Fiexed by using Spirit2)
-Folders are not displayed correctly with LCD density 260 DPI (can be Fixed by changing it to 240 DPI)
-When screen is off touch buttons still working, at touch the phone vibrates.
-USB Conection adb only working MTP, PTP, OTG or UMS not Working (you can use MTP and OTG in TWRP 3.0.2-1 Recovery)
-for some users "com.qualcomm.timeservice" fc time to time (can be Fixed by disable the automatic services in Time settings)
-for some users gps are not Working
at my device:
-Cast screen is not Working

CyanogenMod 12.1 Resurrection Remix from @cbolumar Discontinued
he switched to a5 and abandoned a3 for good, i know from first hand sorry.
-SoD´s (can be Fixed for the most users by open integrated Kernel Adiutor and allow Root access)
-Preview in stock camera (can be Fixed by change Resolution to 16:9 in Settings)
-USB Conection adb only working MTP, PTP, OTG or UMS not Working (you can use MTP and OTG in TWRP 3.0.2-1 Recovery)
at my device:
Note: can only installed with TWRP 2.8.7.0 after installing you can upgrade your Recovery to TWRP 3.0.2-1

CyanogenMod 12.1 from @cbolumar Discontinued
-SoD´s (can be Fixed for the most users by using CPU Awake - Wake Lock with Unlimited time & Activate on Reboot (Clean Master turns it off btw) or Wake Lock - PowerManager with "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK")
-for some users "com.qualcomm.timeservice" fc time to time (can be Fixed by disable the automatic services in Time settings)
at my device:
Note: can only installed with TWRP 2.8.7.0 after installing you can upgrade your Recovery to TWRP 3.0.2-1

Hope this will Help to answering the most Questions :D
By the way i'm not a Dev, i'm only a regular user that wants to help!
You will also get Information and Help at the Everything Samsung a3 Thread :good:

Last edited:

King-V

Apr 16, 2013
Nice guide. Which one would you recommend between the CM12.1 and CM12.1 RR?
Also, for downgrading TWRP, you just need to flash the older version, right?

Reactions: Jonny_Hood

Jonny_Hood

Nov 17, 2014
Mülheim / Ruhr

Definitely CM12.1 RR!
Right just flash first TWRP 2.8.7.0 via Odin3 install the ROM and than Flash TWRP 3.0.2-1 via Odin3, btw. the Build from post 80 has a working MTP and OTG in TWRP (only in TWRP not at the ROM!)
And you can anytime time flash TWRP 2.8.7.0 again if you have to Install new :D

Reactions: jotter24 and King-V

emtepe35

Oct 4, 2016
Krakow
This could need some time, i recommend to try CyanogenMod 12.1 Resurrection Remix, or a Stock MM with aresKernel :good:

It's lot to do with RR to make it stable without SOD etc. (I really need normal usb connection for daily usage)

What's twrp should I use with stock mm to flash ares kernel and can I go back to lollipop via odin? (Mygalaxya's cm13 needs LP bootloader and modem)

emtepe35

Oct 4, 2016
Krakow
Best is TWRP 3.0.2-1 and yes you can go back anytime via odin

Thanks I tried this but I flashed wrong firmware and wifi was broken but I know how to repair it.
Tomorrow I'll try flash compatible firmware and try again.

After flash MM and reflash LP it was a bootloop in first boot. I went to download mode and flash twrp then restore backup and it boots up.

Thanks

Jonny_Hood

Nov 17, 2014
Mülheim / Ruhr
Thanks I tried this but I flashed wrong firmware and wifi was broken but I know how to repair it.
Tomorrow I'll try flash compatible firmware and try again.
After flash MM and reflash LP it was a bootloop in first boot. I went to download mode and flash twrp then restore backup and it boots up.
Thanks

This Bootloop thing happened at my Device sometimes too, if i flashed a stock ROM via Odin, thats why i started to Wipe all Partitions via TWRP before flashing, that works for me flawless ;)
Than happy flashing tomorrow :D

Reactions: emtepe35

emtepe35

Oct 4, 2016
Krakow
This Bootloop thing happened at my Device sometimes too, if i flashed a stock ROM via Odin, thats why i started to Wipe all Partitions via TWRP before flashing, that works for me flawless ;)
Than happy flashing tomorrow :D

OK I've got one last question the wipe in twrp means it deleting it to zero and if I accidentally go to system and not to download I'll get hard brick? Or wipe means it restoring it to factory files? Wipe modem too?

Sorry for noob questoms but I want to be sure before do anything :)

Jonny_Hood

Nov 17, 2014
Mülheim / Ruhr
Wipe in twrp means it deleting it to zero?
Yes
If I accidentally go to system and not to download I'll get hard brick?
No it will not brick, if you accidentally go to system it will stuck at A3 logo, than you can go to Download Mode with pressing "VolDown+Home+Power" for 30 Sec
Or wipe means it restoring it to factory files? Wipe modem too?
Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> [x] Dalvik / ART Cache, [x] System, [x] Data, [x] Internal Storage, [x] Cache -> Swipe to Wipe -> go back -> go back -> Format Data -> yes

Last edited:
Reactions: emtepe35

emtepe35

Oct 4, 2016
Krakow
As far i know, it will not working with Stock MM.
Known issues:
- Bootloops on Samsung stock ROMs. That's due to Samsung's changes to ART. There are unofficial builds that work around this by deodexing and adjusting the ROM.

I had a LP stock Samsung touch wiz and it was working. Some people tells they have MM xposed. I'll try to ask them

Reactions: Jonny_Hood

emtepe35

Oct 4, 2016
Krakow
I'm happy with this.

How to install:
- Install this Xposed Installer App version http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440
- Make a nandroid backup
- Flash "xposed-vxx.x-sdkxx-tw-armxx-custom-build-by-wanam-xxxxxxxx.zip" through a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM...)
- Reboot and Waiiiiiiiiit, it may take several minutes to boot up depending on your Rom size.

Official thread link:

Last edited:

Jonny_Hood

Nov 17, 2014
Mülheim / Ruhr
Hi, what I have to do to downgrade my A300FU to lollipop (Brand Italy Vodafone)?

Stock ROM:
Download your Firmware at Sammobile than i recommend you to Wipe all (Advanced Wipe) in TWRP except the SDcard!
Boot your Device in ODIN download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the .tar.md5 file, and click Start, never interrupt this action!
After doing this you lose TWRP and Root so if you need it you have to install it new.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bevor you do something with your Device do a Backup of all your Data (Contacts, Pic´s ect.) outside of your Device (in a Cloud or on your PC)
    I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD Cards, broken phone chargers etc.​
    You do all at your own Risk!​

If you are new, just work the first 3 steps from top to bottom.​

Flash Root & Odin3:
    At the https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ site you can Download the the Root File for your Device (Link to A300FU). When you Downloaded the "CF-Auto-Root-xxx.zip" File unzip it. In this zip you will find the Odin3xxx.exe and the Root .tar.md5 File
    You need this Odin3 tool also for TWRP and going Back to Stock Rom
    For Root: Make sure your device is in ODIN download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the included Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the Root .tar.md5 file, and click Start, never interrupt this action! You can find more detailed instructions and assistance at [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root Thread

Flash TWRP:
    You can Download the TWRP File at the [RECOVERY][ROOT][TWRP 3.0.2-1]Samsung Galaxy A3(2015) SM-A300F/FU/G/H/M Thread. I recommend the Build from Post 80 it has working MTP & OTG for the FU Device!
    To Install Start download mode (you can get there by holding VolDown+Home+Power when the device is turned off), then start the Odin3xxx.exe file, press the PDA/AP button, select the TWRPxxx.tar file, and click Start, never interrupt this action! After Reboot you can get there by holding VolUp+Home+Power when the device is turned off.
    There are also a TWRP 2.8.7.0 and a TWRP 3.0.0-0 but both have small bugs so i recommend TWRP 3.0.2-1 only if you have Problems try to downgrade
    TWRP Bugs:
    TWRP 2.8.7.0 Can only Install CM12.1 ROMs, it has no MTP & no OTG
    TWRP 3.0.0-0 Can only Install CM13 ROM & it has no MTP but OTG is Working
    TWRP 3.0.2-1 Can not install @cbolumar ROMs and the Build from Opening Post has no OTG
    TWRP 3.1.0 Only tested with LineageOS, it still has no MTP!!!

Flash a Custom ROM:
    You can Install a ROM now with TWRP you can enter TWRP by holding VolUp+Home+Power when the device is turned off.
    In TWRP IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO DO FIRST A BACKUP! (I Recommend to placed at the SD Card)
    Backup -> Storage : Micro SDcard -> Ok -> [x] Boot, [x] System, [x] Data, [x] Cache, [x] Recovery, [x] EFS, [x] MODEM, [x] APNHLOS -> Swipe to Backup
    If anything goes wrong you can easy Restore your Device in TWRP without losing anything, so it's also recommended to Backup your Custom ROM
    Now you need your Custom Rom, Google Apps like Opengapps for ARM and i recommend latest Magisk[/URL, OR (if you prefer) [URL="http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu"]SuperSU to Manage Root Access.
    Place this zip Files at your Device (I Recommend to placed at the SD Card)
    Now you enter TWRP and go to:
    Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> [x] Dalvik / ART Cache, [x] System, [x] Data, [x] Cache -> Swipe to Wipe
    Now go back to main menu and select:
    Install -> Storage : Micro SDcard -> Ok -> now choose your ROM zip first, you can "Add More Zips" and choose Gapps zip and if you want you can Add direct Magsik OR SuperSU zip as well -> Swipe to Confirm Flash
    After placing files the Device need a Reboot, at the First Start it will Install your Rom, so be patiently at first start!

Flash Xposed:
    Magisk user on Android M (6.x) or better follow this Thread [2018.5.6][Magisk] Systemless Xposed v89.3/v90.2-beta3 (SDK 21-27) by topjohnwu

SuperSU user on Android M (6.x) or better follow this Thread [OFFICIAL] Xposed for Lollipop/Marshmallow/Nougat/Oreo [v90-beta3, 2018/01/29]

info:
    SDK 21: Android 5.0 | SDK 22: Android 5.1 | SDK 23: Android 6.0 | SDK 24: Android 7.0 | SDK 25: Android 7.1 | SDK 26: Android 8.0 | SDK 27: Android 8.1

at CM12.1 ROM's Offical Xposed works fine.
    Download the "sdk22-arm" zip, and Install it with TWRP first start need a long time! be patient!
    After the Framework is installed you install the "XposedInstaller" apk, done.
    For stock rom you should visit [UNOFFICIAL] Xposed for Samsung Lollipop by arter97 but it´s for deodex'ed ROMs for this you should visit [Deodex][SM-A300] Deodex Thread for Samsung Galaxy A3
    How to install:
    - Make a nandroid backup

Official thread link:

Flash Stock ROM:
    You should not try to Flash 4.x ROMs it could Brick your Device!
    With a Stock Marshmallow ROM it is recommended to use a Custom Kernel

A300FU / A300Y Custom Kernel:
    Kraken Kernel R1 from @bulgar
    -soon- LineageOS Support

hadesKernel from @corsicanu

A300FU / A300Y Modification:
    [MOD][Stock Rom] Enable More Quick Tiles on Touchwiz from @astrit1
    Will only work with at Stock Lollipop (5.x) ROM
    No Bugs

[ROM][A300FU][6.0.1] [GS]Mod from @[GS]
    Private Mode Not Work

WHASISTROM We have a simple stock rom [A300FU/OL3/OJ5] from @nowheel Discontinued
    Bad news i abbandoned project.. after my hdd is broken with project and all whasistrom file, work document and other.

A300FU / A300Y Custom ROMs:
    Check also in All Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015)'s ROMs Thread from @Falaysia

-Recommended-
    LineageOS 15.1 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2015) from @vl_w
    * FM works only on headphones
    * Unable to capture video in 1080p (only 720р works)
    * Incorrectly work with secondary sim (incall sound issues)
    * On FU and H doesn't adjusting flahlight brightness
    * On H incorrectly detecting battery temperature
    * Hardware keystore doesn't work (only software)
    * NFC sometimes doesn't work

LineageOS 14.1 Unofficial for Samsung Galaxy A3 from @vl_w
    no Bugs

CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy A3 from @evilracer123 Discontinued
    OP is no longer working on a300fu :(
    In the Opening Post is not the latest Build!
    This is the post with the last Build from 19th January 2016 ;)

-Folders are not displayed correctly with LCD density 260 DPI (can be Fixed by changing it to 240 DPI)
    -for some users gps are not Working
    at my device:

CyanogenMod 12.1 Resurrection Remix from @cbolumar Discontinued
    -SoD´s (can be Fixed for the most users by open integrated Kernel Adiutor and allow Root access)
    at my device:

CyanogenMod 12.1 from @cbolumar Discontinued
    at my device:

Hope this will Help to answering the most Questions :D
    By the way i'm not a Dev, i'm only a regular user that wants to help!
    You will also get Information and Help at the Everything Samsung a3 Thread :good:

Definitely CM12.1 RR!
    Right just flash first TWRP 2.8.7.0 via Odin3 install the ROM and than Flash TWRP 3.0.2-1 via Odin3, btw. the Build from post 80 has a working MTP and OTG in TWRP (only in TWRP not at the ROM!)
    And you can anytime time flash TWRP 2.8.7.0 again if you have to Install new :D
    I'm happy with this.

How to install:
    - Make a nandroid backup

Official thread link: