• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to root Ulefone Power Armor 13

Search This thread

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Hello,

Below is a guide on how to root Ulefone Power Armor 13 using Magisk, changing/restoring IMEI etc.

Before you continue, I take no responsibility for any bricked devices.

*Note: Before you begin, make sure you install the latest software update. If you already have data on the phone and apps. make sure you make a backup with Titanium backup or other similar apps. This process will reset the phone. ALL USER DATA WILL BE LOST!!!!

1. Gain access to developer options.

• Go to Settings - About phone. Press repeatedly on Build Number until the phone will show a message You are now a developer or something similar.
  • Navigate to System - Advanced - Developer options.
  • Find OEM unlocking and turn on together with USB debugging. Turn off Verify apps over USB (very useful if you use Titanium Backup to restore apps).

2. Rooting boot stock image with Magisk

*Note: when connecting the phone via USB the first time, make sure you allow (click ok and check the box) to always always allow USB debugging when connecting to your PC. You need this for later steps to use with the ADB commands.
  • Install Magisk apk
  • Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
  • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
  • If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options.
    In most cases it should already be automatically checked.
  • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
  • The Magisk app will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img.
  • Copy the patched image to your PC
*Note: Make sure you pay attention if your phone is EEA (for EU countries) or NON EEA (for the rest of the world). Attached you will find stock images for both variants (stockEEAboot.img and stockNONEEAboot.img).
If your phone is for EU (EEA) you can directly use the already patched boot image (patchedEEAboot.img) and skip this step.

3. Install drivers and ADB.
  • Download latest ADB - Fastboot version from the link below.
  • Extract the ADB files to a new folder.
  • Download Ulefone drivers from the link below and follow instructions to install them (you need ADB drivers).
https://gsmusbdriver.com/ulefone-power-armor-13 can also find the stock ROMs for this phone.

*Note: without these drivers installed you cannot use ADB properly.

4. Rooting the phone
  • Copy the patched boot image and vbmeta_null.img in the adb folder.
  • Connect phone to PC (with USB debugging activated)
  • Open CMD window (with admin privilege) and and change directory to the adb folder (instructions can be found online depending on your OS version)
  • Now type the commands below exactly as they are written:
- this initializes the ADB. Your device (specific strings of letters and numbers) should appear. If no device is detected please make sure you have followed the previous steps correctly.
adb reboot bootloader
- wait until device reboots in bootloader
When done verify the connection with the phone:

Again, your device name from previous command should appear
fastboot flashing unlock
A message on the phone should appear. In order to unlock it follow the instructions on the screen (press Volume up key - if I remember correctly).
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_null.img
This disables the safety check of the boot.img otherwise you will have a bootloop.
If you receive a positive answer we can go to next step

fastboot flash boot patchedEEAboot.img
patchedEEAboot.img - replace this with the actuale name of the patched boot image. Leave unchanged if you use the attached patched boot image (FOR EU VARIANT OF THE PHONE!!!).

Assuming everything went good you can reboot your phone:

The phone should now reboot without any issues. Open Magisk app and check if it shows as installed.

Congratulations, now you have successfully rooted your Ulefone Armor 13.

5. Additional steps if something goes wrong:

If your phone is bricked, do not despair. Simply patch the stock boot image using the same method. If that does not work, download the stock firmware and flash it with SPFlashtool following the instructions from the link below. Again make sure you install the correct firmware type (EU or NON-EU).

If you want to install Lucky Patcher and their version of Google Store (check online more info on the app) you need to install via Magisk Riru v25.4.4 and Riru EdXposed (instructions can be found online). Edxposed does not work with other Riru versions. Make sure you enable Lucky Patcher in Edxposed.

6. Missing IMEI/IMEI change

If you lost your IMEIs on your phone, you cannot connect to the GSM network. This is easily fixed using the SM Writer tool. You can download it from the link below.
Use the instructions in the link below to change the IMEI. The original IMEI can be found on the phone´s box. If you want to change the IMEI just use a random number generator to generate new IMEIs (make sure they are the same length).

The files needed for the SMWrite tool can be found in the attached rar file SNWriter files.rar.

7. Custom recovery

Currently this phone does not have a custom recovery. With Magisk one is not truly needed.

Credits for the vbmeta_null.img go to Harlock1978 in the thread below.

Attachments

• patchedEEAboot.img
    32 MB · Views: 28
  • stockEEAboot.img
    32 MB · Views: 14
  • stockNONEEAboot.img
    32 MB · Views: 22
  • vbmeta_null.img
    4 KB · Views: 29
  • SNWriter files.rar
    15.6 MB · Views: 14
May 24, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Nice write-up! 😀👍

I just finished rooting my Power Armor 13 using your instructions, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My last rooted phone was a OnePlus One (yep, the O.G. 🤣), so I assume a LOT has changed since then.

Two questions for you:
  1. Now that it's rooted, can I re-lock the bootloader to make that stupid "condition orange" bootup message go away, or do I have to keep it unlocked?
  2. I seem to recall reading something a while back about rooted phones not being able to use Google Pay, but that rooting with Magisk can circumvent that limitation. Do you know if this is true, and if so, whether any additional setup is required?

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Nice write-up! 😀👍

I just finished rooting my Power Armor 13 using your instructions, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My last rooted phone was a OnePlus One (yep, the O.G. 🤣), so I assume a LOT has changed since then.

Two questions for you:
  1. Now that it's rooted, can I re-lock the bootloader to make that stupid "condition orange" bootup message go away, or do I have to keep it unlocked?
  2. I seem to recall reading something a while back about rooted phones not being able to use Google Pay, but that rooting with Magisk can circumvent that limitation. Do you know if this is true, and if so, whether any additional setup is required?
Thanks mate! Happy I could help

1. Relocking the bootloader check the link below. Honestly I would not recommend it. Higher chances of messing up the system. It does not affect system functionality and the reboot time are just slightly longer.

2. I am unsure but I do not think it is true. I do not use Google Play since I use the patched LuckyPatcher version. Not sure about the forum rules around this app but just do a Google on that the LP version does.

May 24, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Thanks mate! Happy I could help
There were a couple of steps where I was a little confused (it seemed like there was some "assumed knowledge," which I of course didn't have, since I've been out of the root/ROM game for way too long), but otherwise, it was a nice, straightforward tutorial, which was great. I won't give unsolicited advice, but if you're interested in some constructive criticism on the bits that had me scratching my head, let me know.
1. Relocking the bootloader check the link below. Honestly I would not recommend it. Higher chances of messing up the system. It does not affect system functionality and the reboot time are just slightly longer.
Sounds like I should probably just suck it up then. Not really a big deal, since I rarely have to reboot, and the warning message is only there for a few seconds.
2. I am unsure but I do not think it is true. I do not use Google Play since I use the patched LuckyPatcher version. Not sure about the forum rules around this app but just do a Google on that the LP version does.
Sorry, I must not have been very clear. I was referring to Google PAY, not Google PLAY. Google Pay is the app which uses the NFC chip in the phone to pay for goods and services at retail establishments where contactless payments are supported. It's the Android equivalent of Apple Pay, and I believe Samsung has their own version for their phones, which also works the same way. Basically, most financial/banking apps (and some games) have built-in rooted device detection, and if you try to run them on a rooted device, they'll refuse to work.

Fortunately, with a little research of my own, I found out that Magisk has a feature called MagiskHide, which allows it to evade rooted device detection on a per-app basis. I also found a Magisk Module called MagiskHide Props Config by Didgeridoohan , which opens up more customization possibilities, though I haven't explored that much.

Anyway, after configuring MagiskHide and telling it to hide Magisk from the apps I mentioned, I have successfully tested my primary banking app, and I'll be taking Google Pay for a test run at the grocery store, hopefully this evening.

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
There were a couple of steps where I was a little confused (it seemed like there was some "assumed knowledge," which I of course didn't have, since I've been out of the root/ROM game for way too long), but otherwise, it was a nice, straightforward tutorial, which was great. I won't give unsolicited advice, but if you're interested in some constructive criticism on the bits that had me scratching my head, let me know.

Sounds like I should probably just suck it up then. Not really a big deal, since I rarely have to reboot, and the warning message is only there for a few seconds.

Sorry, I must not have been very clear. I was referring to Google PAY, not Google PLAY. Google Pay is the app which uses the NFC chip in the phone to pay for goods and services at retail establishments where contactless payments are supported. It's the Android equivalent of Apple Pay, and I believe Samsung has their own version for their phones, which also works the same way. Basically, most financial/banking apps (and some games) have built-in rooted device detection, and if you try to run them on a rooted device, they'll refuse to work.

Fortunately, with a little research of my own, I found out that Magisk has a feature called MagiskHide, which allows it to evade rooted device detection on a per-app basis. I also found a Magisk Module called MagiskHide Props Config by Didgeridoohan , which opens up more customization possibilities, though I haven't explored that much.

Anyway, after configuring MagiskHide and telling it to hide Magisk from the apps I mentioned, I have successfully tested my primary banking app, and I'll be taking Google Pay for a test run at the grocery store, hopefully this evening.
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I never used Google Pay and honestly sometimes I forget it even exists :ROFLMAO: .

Sure send me in a PM all the feedback you have in order to not clutter this thread! I´m always interested in improving myself. Also this was the first post I ever did here. Usually I am just using what other people have done.

I am happy I managed to help someone else for a change. Not that I have any real merit as I only put together info from other sites or threads.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
Good day guys..
Love the info and genuine exchange of ideas I am seeing here..
Actually my first time trying to root..got a new ulefone armor 13.
Downloaded all the neccesarry file as mentioned above. But I have a challenge, don't know exactly from where to Copy or get boot/recovery image.
Tried using Mtkdroid to back up and extract the boot image..but got unknown ROM structure as a response,so couldn't scatter files nor go ahead with other steps..Is the any other way to get around this?

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Good day guys..
Love the info and genuine exchange of ideas I am seeing here..
Actually my first time trying to root..got a new ulefone armor 13.
Downloaded all the neccesarry file as mentioned above. But I have a challenge, don't know exactly from where to Copy or get boot/recovery image.
Tried using Mtkdroid to back up and extract the boot image..but got unknown ROM structure as a response,so couldn't scatter files nor go ahead with other steps..Is the any other way to get around this?
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Boot images for both EU and non EU phone versions are attacked to my first post. Boot images have .img at the end of the file. If you have an EU phone you already have a rooted boot image there.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Boot images for both EU and non EU phone versions are attacked to my first post. Boot images have .img at the end of the file. If you have an EU phone you already have a rooted boot image there.
Thanks...But keeps getting stucked on fastbootmode.. don't know the average time it takes to reboot in bootloader..or should I go on with the next commands regardless?

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Thanks...But keeps getting stucked on fastbootmode.. don't know the average time it takes to reboot in bootloader..or should I go on with the next commands regardless?
On what step do you get stuck? After you flash the boot image, you should get an ok message in the CMD window and then it should allow you to type the next command. After you flash the boot, you need to enter the reboot command in fastboot/adb.

Also remember to flash the vbmeta image first and then the boot image. Otherwise you will get stuck in a reboot loop.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
On what step do you get stuck? After you flash the boot image, you should get an ok message in the CMD window and then it should allow you to type the next command. After you flash the boot, you need to enter the reboot command in fastboot/adb.

Also remember to flash the vbmeta image first and then the boot image. Otherwise you will get stuck in a reboot loop.
After entering the "adb reboot bootloader" command, the phone goes blank, indicating FASTBOOT mode at the down left of the screen and doesn't reboot.

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
After entering the "adb reboot bootloader" command, the phone goes blank, indicating FASTBOOT mode at the down left of the screen and doesn't reboot.
Adb reboot bootloader is supposed to bit the phone into fastboot mode. It does not reboot the phone into the OS because then you cannot flash a patch image. After it is in fastboot you continue with the next steps.

After you flash everything the OS reboot command is fastboot reboot.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
Hi.. thanks for your time.
I carried on with other steps like you said..
But noticed no change nor response after typing the command "fastboot flashing unlock"..
Only saw "waiting for other devices" as a response in the CMD..as couldn't type any command again in the CMD..
Morealso, the phone screen remain blank and stucked in the fastbootmode..
I got it snapped,don't know if it against the rules to post pictures here.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
But noticed no change nor response after typing the command "fastboot flashing unlock"..
Only saw "waiting for other devices" as a response in the CMD..as couldn't type any command again in the CMD..
IMG_20211103_234602_copy_1500x1402.jpg

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
With how your device looks, it appears it is not properly connected. Did you install all the drivers?

Under fastboot devices you should see a message as in the image below.
I will also add the direct image link.

Without this, the phone is not properly connected.

Did you unlock the fastboot in developer options as well? It is called there OEM unlock and you need debugging activated in the same place.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
Thanks..
With how your device looks, it appears it is not properly connected. Did you install all the drivers?

Under fastboot devices you should see a message as in the image below.
I will also add the direct image link.

Without this, the phone is not properly connected.

Did you unlock the fastboot in developer options as well? It is called there OEM unlock and you need debugging activated in the same place.
actually started the whole process afresh, downloaded and installed properly the driver's from the links you provided..Unlocked the OEM bootloader in the developer settings and also allowed for debugging...but couldn't still get past the Fastboot mode /waiting for a device.Once I input the "Fastboot devices" command, the command which you post its link doesn't display either.
Checked device manager..for the status of the Installed driver, says up to date..
But the general info says "this device cannot start" (code 10)

Last edited:

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Thanks..

actually started the whole process afresh, downloaded and installed properly the driver's from the links you provided..Unlocked the OEM bootloader in the developer settings and also allowed for debugging...but couldn't still get past the Fastboot mode /waiting for a device.Once I input the "Fastboot devices" command, the command which you post its link doesn't display either.
Checked device manager..for the status of the Installed driver, says up to date..
Hi, did you do a PC restart? Did you install the drivers manually? It appears there is a problem with the drivers on your PC. They did not install properly.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
Hi, did you do a PC restart? Did you install the drivers manually? It appears there is a problem with the drivers on your PC. They did not install properly.
I restarted the PC..and while in fastbootmode..I tried updating the driver manually from the device manager.. Android ADB interface..
Says "windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"
Had to uninstall and reinstall again...Same problem!

denis9rafael

Feb 14, 2020
Thanks..

I think you may need to disable the driver signature verification in Windows 10 before you can install the drivers. Not sure though if that is the case :(.

Otapiapia

Oct 31, 2021
I restarted the PC..and while in fastbootmode..I tried updating the driver manually from the device manager.. Android ADB interface..
Says "windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"
Had to uninstall and reinstall again...Same problem!
Hi...made progress
But one more thing... should I input the magisk patched file...or StockNONEEAboot.img
My phone is non EU variant..
AND FINALLY ROOTED with no issues..
Used the magisk patched file...
Thanks so much for you support, patience and guidance.
I so much appreciate!! 🤝

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you very much for the info. Well written and extremely helpful.