• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[How to] ROOT without the Hack Kit

Search This thread

rrahul963

Feb 22, 2011
Vol key issue

Hey Guys,
This might be a repeated ques so please bear with me but can someone please tell me how to root my DHD if the volume keys are not working.
To get into HBOOT we need the Power + Vol Down key, but my Vol key are not working :( . Is there any other way to get into HBOOT???

bananagranola

Jul 11, 2012
tuxreview.wordpress.com
Hey Guys,
This might be a repeated ques so please bear with me but can someone please tell me how to root my DHD if the volume keys are not working.
To get into HBOOT we need the Power + Vol Down key, but my Vol key are not working :( . Is there any other way to get into HBOOT???
Yes, using ADB. But it is not advisable. If you get stuck you will need your volume buttons to navigate HBOOT and, if you flash one, a non-touch recovery.

oomwoc

Apr 21, 2013
Edit: Nevermind, I snooped around on the htcdev.com site to find it. For anyone else, it's on page three of the bootloader unlock instructions.

Hello,

The easy unlock tool says to paste the token at the bottom of the page. What page? It says "opening HTVDEV site", but nothing ever opens.

Last edited:

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Edit: Nevermind, I snooped around on the htcdev.com site to find it. For anyone else, it's on page three of the bootloader unlock instructions.

Hello,

The easy unlock tool says to paste the token at the bottom of the page. What page? It says "opening HTVDEV site", but nothing ever opens.

Do it manually....seems that your PC has its environment messed. Many users have used it and works fine.

bananagranola

Jul 11, 2012
tuxreview.wordpress.com

axlxexx

Jun 10, 2013
HTC DHD annoing problem

Hello,
I have a HTC DHD since dec 2010. recently i started to have some problems with the car dock mode....... i tried everything -- compressed air, cleaning solutions, etc etc. If i root my phone and i change the software ill get this problems with the new soft? if not - i want to beg for a step by step guide ( how to root and etc , and a version of decent soft ( fully working ) )........ i ask your help cause i'm kind a newbie in mobile phone software development... Thank you and i wait some answers!!!

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Hello,
I have a HTC DHD since dec 2010. recently i started to have some problems with the car dock mode....... i tried everything -- compressed air, cleaning solutions, etc etc. If i root my phone and i change the software ill get this problems with the new soft? if not - i want to beg for a step by step guide ( how to root and etc , and a version of decent soft ( fully working ) )........ i ask your help cause i'm kind a newbie in mobile phone software development... Thank you and i wait some answers!!!

Rooting should not change anything at all. Flashing a custom rom might solve some performance issues as long as they are software related and not hardware.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Your device might be experiencing some memory problems....try wiping it first.

axlxexx

Jun 10, 2013
Rooting should not change anything at all. Flashing a custom rom might solve some performance issues as long as they are software related and not hardware.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Your device might be experiencing some memory problems....try wiping it first.

Yep - first i tried to make a software reset by taking the battery out 30 secs.. Then i made a factory reset from menu, then i made 1 from boot loader. I read several forums and i observed that many htc users have this problem but they solved it when they cleaned the uUSB module with compressed air or with the software reset or with some apps. I made everything to get rid of this problem. i cleand the usb module with air , with special solution for circuites, with a brush.... but same thing... i want to reflash my phone but i dont want to brick my htc. i dont know how to do that, i think i must downgrade it (firmware version...etc) before i cand do that. and i need an ics or a jb version fully functional. so if you can help me - i will be gratefull --- TY

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Yep - first i tried to make a software reset by taking the battery out 30 secs.. Then i made a factory reset from menu, then i made 1 from boot loader. I read several forums and i observed that many htc users have this problem but they solved it when they cleaned the uUSB module with compressed air or with the software reset or with some apps. I made everything to get rid of this problem. i cleand the usb module with air , with special solution for circuites, with a brush.... but same thing... i want to reflash my phone but i dont want to brick my htc. i dont know how to do that, i think i must downgrade it (firmware version...etc) before i cand do that. and i need an ics or a jb version fully functional. so if you can help me - i will be gratefull --- TY

If the stock firmware is not working, I wouldn't risk to root it and flash something different. I would first try to flash stock rom again and see what happens. If you are having hardware issues and you get stuck with an unlocked device HTC won't support it.

axlxexx

Jun 10, 2013
If the stock firmware is not working, I wouldn't risk to root it and flash something different. I would first try to flash stock rom again and see what happens. If you are having hardware issues and you get stuck with an unlocked device HTC won't support it.

well i can send you some screenshots with the firmware and other things.... can you help me?

johnyjin

Jan 27, 2013
Where can i find SU or SuperSU ?

As you probably all know, the Advanced Hack Kit (a.k.a Hack Kit) has been retired for good yesterday. Does that mean that you can not achive root privilege anymore? NO

NO, YOU DON'T NEED S-OFF TO FLASH ROMS....

Getting root acces

1. Unlock your bootloader with HTCDEV or using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133336
  2. Then flash CWM or 4ext recovery in fastboot per this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30020025&postcount=7 and make a nand backup.
  3. Then reboot into recovery and flash SU or SuperSU.
  4. Reboot the device and voilá. You are done

IF YOUR BUILD VERSION IS NOT SUPPORTED TO UPDATE THEN:

1. Create a goldcard using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=970157 (you need a working phone for this)
  2. Find a RUU which main version is supported and higher than yours and flash it in the PD98IMG.zip way, that is what is the goldcard for.
  3. Re run the tool and you will be able to update the hboot and unlock it

The other way to achive root access is to flash a custom rom after unlocking the bootloader.

As you can notice root access is easy to be gained but not S-OFF. If you are skilled in android and working with terminal or cmd commands, then you can use this: http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=411

Flashing roms with an unlocked bootloader

1. Unlock your bootloader and flash a custom recovery (CWM or 4ext)
  2. Download the rom zip file you are willing to flash to your PC.
  3. Extract the the boot.img from inside the zip file (do not extract the whole rom)
  4. Put the zip file in your sdcard.
  5. Boot into recovery and do a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, format system)
  6. Flash rom (install zip from sdcard)
  7. Reboot into bootloader again and plug the phone to the PC.
  8. You need to be in fastboot usb (if you see HBOOT USB PLUG in the phone, just press power to toggle)
  9. Open a cmd/terminal and navigate to where the boot.img file is located.
  10. Type: fastboot flash boot boot.img
  11. Reboot and now you should be enjoying your custom rom

Hi, :) How i m going to find SU or SuperSU ? Besides, does the root access is built in the cwm / 4ext that u had given on the top ? That SuperSU or SU can i download from web? or ? THX :) I have just a little experience to root Sony Xperia SL.. And this is my first time to root and unlock BL of HTC. Thx :)

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Hi, :) How i m going to find SU or SuperSU ? Besides, does the root access is built in the cwm / 4ext that u had given on the top ? That SuperSU or SU can i download from web? or ? THX :) I have just a little experience to root Sony Xperia SL.. And this is my first time to root and unlock BL of HTC. Thx :)

I don't actually get your question. The SU is flashed in recovery and it depends on what you flash. The script flashes SU only. SU is never built in recovery but in system xbin folder. That is how you get administrator access.

ankitjain23

Apr 15, 2013
Hello,

I try to unlock my bootloader with HTCDEV or by using that tool but have some problems.
At step 8 (HTCDEV) Type in Command Prompt: fastboot oem get_identifier_token
After that you should see a long block of text. But I only get this:

<bootloader> [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s

what's going wrong? what can I do?

This problem is seen when you haven't installed the correct RUU on the PC. Download the correct RUU from htc DEV for your locality (area). Install it on your PC, detect your PDA as per mentioned steps on RUU window and you will be all set.

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
This problem is seen when you haven't installed the correct RUU on the PC. Download the correct RUU from htc DEV for your locality (area). Install it on your PC, detect your PDA as per mentioned steps on RUU window and you will be all set.

That is not correct. He was running the unlock code. That means that his bootloader does not allow unlocking due to older version.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you probably all know, the Advanced Hack Kit (a.k.a Hack Kit) has been retired for good yesterday. Does that mean that you can not achive root privilege anymore? NO

NO, YOU DON'T NEED S-OFF TO FLASH ROMS....

Getting root acces

1. Unlock your bootloader with HTCDEV or using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2133336
    2. Then flash CWM or 4ext recovery in fastboot per this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30020025&postcount=7 and make a nand backup.
    3. Then reboot into recovery and flash SU or SuperSU.
    4. Reboot the device and voilá. You are done

IF YOUR BUILD VERSION IS NOT SUPPORTED TO UPDATE THEN:

1. Create a goldcard using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=970157 (you need a working phone for this)
    2. Find a RUU which main version is supported and higher than yours and flash it in the PD98IMG.zip way, that is what is the goldcard for.
    3. Re run the tool and you will be able to update the hboot and unlock it

The other way to achive root access is to flash a custom rom after unlocking the bootloader.

As you can notice root access is easy to be gained but not S-OFF. If you are skilled in android and working with terminal or cmd commands, then you can use this: http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=411

Flashing roms with an unlocked bootloader

1. Unlock your bootloader and flash a custom recovery (CWM or 4ext)
    2. Download the rom zip file you are willing to flash to your PC.
    3. Extract the the boot.img from inside the zip file (do not extract the whole rom)
    4. Put the zip file in your sdcard.
    5. Boot into recovery and do a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, format system)
    6. Flash rom (install zip from sdcard)
    7. Reboot into bootloader again and plug the phone to the PC.
    8. You need to be in fastboot usb (if you see HBOOT USB PLUG in the phone, just press power to toggle)
    9. Open a cmd/terminal and navigate to where the boot.img file is located.
    10. Type: fastboot flash boot boot.img If you don´t how to do that, watch this video (it is in spanish, thou you can follow it without listening to the instructions)
    11. Reboot and now you should be enjoying your custom rom
    Hi there
    Is there a thread or some sort of a step by step manual on how to install ROM with unlocked boot loader (s on) without ace advance hacking kit or perhaps a working method where you can install CWM on a Gingerbread. (I have successfully unlocked the boot loader on htcdev)
    Thanks a million

Check the guide in my signature, you will find the information you need in there. Don't forget to flash the boot.img of the custom rom in fastboot. Enjoy...
    I tried one more time b4 bed... This time HTCdev responded quickly and gave me my token.
    I'm unlocked, but your root tool says it can't find my SD device. I've tried with both the 8GB card that comes with the phone and a 2GB SanDisk card I have. Both cards I erased with the phone prior to running the root tool.

CWM Recovery was successfully installed.

So, from Windows can I format a SD card FAT32 and put Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip on it and manually install from zip? Or do I take the android erased SD card?

My fastboot info:
    *** UNLOCKED ***
    ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT-2.00.0030
    MICROP-0438
    RADIO-26.17.14.11_M
    eMMC-boot
    Feb 20 2012,16:03:18

HBOOT USB PLUG

There's no Need To format the sdcard, just flash it
    Thanks Glevitan
    I found the manual and all went smooth and easy. I have one problem though.
    The phone does not register to any mobile network. Any idea how to bypass that? It was originally locked on Orange UK network.
    Thanks again

That is weird. What ROM did You flash?
    hello to all

can any one help me? i cant flash any ROM!!! i cant find a way.

i have follow the step from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38947050&postcount=10 at the 5th step i have no idea what to do.

also i have try this steps http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47599181&postcount=1 but nothing.

it says Installing update.... ( on the CWM) and after that
    set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
    E:Error in /sdcard/cm-11-20141008-unofficial-m11-ace.zip (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

any ideas?

fastboot getvar all
    (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.00.0029
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 26.03.02.26_M
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: 0438
    (bootloader) version-main: 1.32.405.6
    (bootloader) serialno: HT0BX
    (bootloader) imei: 3526
    (bootloader) product: ace