How to root without unlocking bootloader (via efrant)

Search This thread

njatb

Feb 17, 2011
Paris
Hi Everybody,

So today I tried on my Nexus7 this tutorial from efrant on how to root the Galaxy Nexus phone without unlocking the bootloader (and thus without wiping data), after a successful report on a French blog.

Even though I had a little bit of trouble (I should have rebooted my computer after installing ADB drivers), everything went flawlessly. I now have a rooted N7, with a 720p camera and automatic rotation of the home screen, and I didn't even have to spend hours backing-up and restoring my apps and data!

This present post is just a heads up to confirm it works like a charm on the Nexus7. And if you have any question related to the trick, please use the thread on the GN page, as this is where the author efrant posted it initially.

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
Hi Everybody,

So today I tried on my Nexus7 this tutorial from efrant on how to root the Galaxy Nexus phone without unlocking the bootloader (and thus without wiping data), after a successful report on a French blog.

Even though I had a little bit of trouble (I should have rebooted my computer after installing ADB drivers), everything went flawlessly. I now have a rooted N7, with a 720p camera and automatic rotation of the home screen, and I didn't even have to spend hours backing-up and restoring my apps and data!

This present post is just a heads up to confirm it works like a charm on the Nexus7. And if you have any question related to the trick, please use the thread on the GN page, as this is where the author efrant posted it initially.

Cheers bud, was looking for something like this yesterday ! Can't be bothered to re-configure my N7 etc after rooting, and didn't want to lose data.
Thanks for the heads up and will be doing this later.

So this was easy and painless, and worked on the N7?
Fully rooted? without unlocked bootloader?

Scaine

Jun 4, 2007
Cheers bud, was looking for something like this yesterday ! Can't be bothered to re-configure my N7 etc after rooting, and didn't want to lose data.

Just completed this using Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and a fully updated UK Nexus 7. No issues - my experience was exactly as described in the howto/guide, step by step. I guess on Windows you'll need ADB drives for the Nexus? Anyway, it was a copy/paste exercise on Ubuntu and "painless" describes it perfectly.

Titanium Backup Root is running a full back up right now. In fact, it's just finished and now it's uploading to Google Drive.

Thanks for the link - superb.

njatb

Feb 17, 2011
Paris

Yup, painless, no wipe needed. Just install the proper adb drivers if you're on Windows. Also, I had to set my usb connection to ptp instead of mtp in the N7 settings. As I was saying, I am now fully rooted (checked with the Root Checker app) and was able to perform various mods needing root (tablet UI, homescreen rotation etc)

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
Yup, painless, no wipe needed. Just install the proper adb drivers if you're on Windows. Also, I had to set my usb connection to ptp instead of mtp in the N7 settings. As I was saying, I am now fully rooted (checked with the Root Checker app) and was able to perform various mods needing root (tablet UI, homescreen rotation etc)

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk

Great, only reason I really want root is StickMount.
Perhaps Tablet UI and rotation also :).

But yeah, will be doing this tonight (hopefully), CHEERS !

auda

Nov 16, 2010
I tried it yesterday and it went flawlessly
Just read the whole post first then follow the instructions precisely and boom you are rooted

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

E_Goldstein

Nov 23, 2011
Not trying to be a smart ass but does nobody read up on devices anymore, i read if would be wiped so i rooted before i set it up first time, instead of installing everything, it amazes me....
Cool link though maybe you should do a full copy and paste of the post and just mention them to give them credit and get it in the dev sections. This will come in handy for a few people. Good find

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everybody,

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone