[HOW TO] Root Yoga Tablet 2 [STEP-BY-STEP] [NOOB FRIENDLY]

Search This thread

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
Hi?
I'm posting this thread for all those who want to root their tablet but need a step by step guide for the same. I have condensed the information from many threads and put it into one. All the credit goes to the respective thread owners who have posted the guides. Let's begin:

NOTE: Im not responsible if you brick your device. You are solely responsible for what happens. If you follow the steps correctly it is unlikely that it will harm your device. If you face any issues you can post it here and I will try to solve them ( or someone else will). All good.

Scary stuff apart, let's begin to root your device ?

1. On your device, Go to Settings, Developer Options, and click on Enable USB Debugging. If there is no Developer Options in Settings, Click on About Phone and click 7 times on Build Number. This will give u the option.

2. Once you have enabled it, connect your device to your computer via USB cable.

3. Install the device drivers from the autoplay options.

4. Right click on My Computer and click on Manage

5. A new window will open called Computer Management, under which u have to click on Device Manager.

6. A list of devices connected to your computer will be shown on the right hand side.

If your device is listed under heading Android, as Android ADB Composite Device, then there is no need to download and install adb/fastboot drivers, and you can go ahead with the rooting process.

But its most likely your device will be listed under Other Devices. Under that it will be as MTP device or by the name of your device itself. This means you have to download and install adb/fastboot drivers on your computer before rooting it.

7. Open your browser and click on http://adbdriver.com/upload/adbdriver.zip which will download the adb installer on your computer. Run through the setup and install it. Run the program, it will automatically detect your device and install the necessary adb/fastboot drivers for it on your computer.

Alternatively, you can click on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118 through which you can install the same. I did it with the first method for my device.

Download and install it in [C drive].

8. Once the drivers are installed, go to Device Manager again (Step 4 and 5), and check on the list of devices. Your device should be listed under the heading Android, and showing as Android ADB Composite Device.

9. Open up C drive, there should be a folder named 'adb' under it. Open that folder and right click anywhere and open a command prompt.

U can also press 'Win+R' keyboard keys and type in 'cmd.exe' to open up a command prompt and use the cd command to come into the right folder. Once your into the adb folder in the command prompt (it should show as "C://adb>".
Type in command 'adb devices' and press enter (without the colons).

This should show you that your device is connected by the name of your chipset as Baytrail******. If it doesn't show this it means the adb drivers are not installed or ur device is not connected to the computer. Only once after it detects your device you have to go ahead with your rooting process.

10. After you have successfully completed all the above steps you are now ready to root your device.

11. Click on this link forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57543871&postcount=1 from where you will have to download 'Intel Fastboot Tethered Temporary Recovery Session Launcher' onto your computer and extract it to some folder.

12. Download the UPDATE SuperSU zip file to your device and store it in your internal memory so you can find it easily later.

13. Now open the folder where you have extracted the Intel Fastboot Tethred Temporary Recovery Session launcher. Double click the launcher.bat file to start and type " ACCEPT " case sensitive without quotes to continue.

check that the tool is reporting as either :
DEVICE STATUS: ADB-ONLINE
DEVICE STATUS: FASTBOOT-ONLINE*

If " DEVICE STATUS: UNKNOWN " please check your cable connection and driver installation under Windows Device Manager
If " DEVICE STATUS: UNAUTHORIZED "

Please check if your devices is displaying an authorization prompt.
Be sure to check 'Always allow from this computer' and then press ok.

It will ask for the type of recovery u would prefer to run. Options 1-4 will be TWRP recovery and 5 will be CWM. I selected the CWM recovery. So enter number '5' and press enter.

14. It will display the list of triggers to be selected for the rooting process. Select the trigger to launch the Temporary CWM Recovery Session.

The list will be as follows:

T1 oem startftm ( very few devices support this command , but its the original used so )

T2 oem backup_factory ( limited devices support this command )

T3 oem stop_partitioning ( should work on alot of kitkat builds )

T4 oem stop_partitioning ( probably works on all devices that are supported (Jellybean , KitKat , Lollipop)

15. Select trigger 'T4' if you have upgraded your tablet to Lollypop Android 5.0.1. After selecting the trigger your device should reboot into fastboot and begin to copy files to your device.

note :*If your device hangs at the waiting-for-device screen and you see droidboot CMD Waiting on your devices double check that the fastboot driver installed correctly.
note :*If you see unknown oem command the trigger isn't supported by your device.

16. The temporary cwm recovery session will start at this point on your device.

17. Select install zip from the recovery menu using vol up / vol down to navigate and power to select.

18. Select install zip from sdcard / external_sd depending on where you placed the file and select the UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.Xx.zip you downloaded earlier

19. Confirm the installation.

20. After install completes reboot your device*through the reboot device option in the recovery menu itself.

21. It's going to take a while for the device to reboot. 'Android is upgrading' window will pop up once the screen gets on. After the boot is complete open all apps to see Super SU installed in it.

Now you have successfully rooted your Yoga Tablet 2. Enjoy ☺

NOTE: Follow all steps carefully and correctly so it becomes highly unlikely that you may brick your device. Make sure there is no powercut to your computer during the rooting process if you are not using a laptop or a UPS for your system. You can post any queries or questions in the thread.

All credit goes to the original thread owners, social-design-concepts, workdowg for helping all yoga tablet users to be able to root their devices.

A lot of work has gone into making this NOOB friendly step by step guide. Hit thanks if this helps you. Much appreciated. Have fun rooting.☺

Posted from my Rooted Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (830LC).

anilkumar247

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for the tutorial.
I did all the steps as you said. I am at step 15 and selected t4 and then the command prompt showed waiting for device and then my tab rebooted itself and then came to a fastboot mode.
Now n TAB its showing error that "E: No valid installer medium found"
now when i press the volume keys, the boot option changes and then the error message changes to
"could not open /sys/devices/virtual/backlight"

Please help

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the tutorial.
I did all the steps as you said. I am at step 15 and selected t4 and then the command prompt showed waiting for device and then my tab rebooted itself and then came to a fastboot mode.
Now n TAB its showing error that "E: No valid installer medium found"
now when i press the volume keys, the boot option changes and then the error message changes to
"could not open /sys/devices/virtual/backlight"

Please help

Did u check that ADB/fastboot drivers installed correctly? Try to reinstall those drivers and check again. Did u select the UPDATE SuperSU zip file and install it?

anilkumar247

Nov 18, 2015
Did u check that ADB/fastboot drivers installed correctly? Try to reinstall those drivers and check again. Did u select the UPDATE SuperSU zip file and install it?

How can i make sure they are installed correctly ?
I have reinstalled them and tried again, but still getting the same error.
I am not getting the update Super SU option, or any options to get it installed.

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
How can i make sure they are installed correctly ?
I have reinstalled them and tried again, but still getting the same error.
I am not getting the update Super SU option, or any options to get it installed.

Step 8 and 9. Check under command prompt. It should show the name Baytrail***** when you type in the command "adb devices". Only then u can go ahead.

anilkumar247

Nov 18, 2015
Hi
yes, its showing the device ID
prntscr.com/948uzk
prntscr.com/948ybk

I have blackened the device ID

Last edited:

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
Hi
prntscr.com/948uzk
prntscr.com/948ybk

Sorry to hear your facing issues. There are already people saying they have successfully rooted their device using this guide. So there must be some step u might have missed or done incorrectly.

Send me the details of your device, model of tablet, which Android version.

Reactions: spoonymoon

sajju73

Oct 18, 2012
Good? All the best and enjoy your rooted device. Have you installed Xposed Framework on it yet?

Thanks.. cld u please link me to ver of xposed working on yt2.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Try formatting the new sd card via the tablet, even I have put a 64GB card and I had to format it before it could detect.
@AndroMAN somebody hv made a exfat binary zip to be flashed via teetherd recovery.... any idea how to go into twrp recovery.

1subw00fer1

Nov 19, 2015
Hi
prntscr.com/948uzk
prntscr.com/948ybk

Sorry to hear your facing issues. There are already people saying they have successfully rooted their device using this guide. So there must be some step u might have missed or done incorrectly.

Hey i think i have the solution for your problem because everytime i am facing the same issue ;)
That means at first adb drivers are shown as installed correctly within the window of the 'Intel Fastboot Tethered Temporary Recovery Session Launcher' tool. But after my tablet reboots into fastboot via method t4 it always says "No valid installer medium found".

Note: I have these adb drivers installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

So here is my solution that works for me: (this is my first post so i cant provide any screenshots.. :( )
1. let the tablet stay within the fastboot mode
2. in windows: navigate to the device manager --> there you should see the symbol "android phone" with a yellow triangle
3. right click on this symbol and choose the first option "update drivers" (sry i don't know if i translated it correctly xD)
4. choose the option "search on pc .."
5. there you select the second option "choose from a list.."
6. within the list you select 'android device'
7. within the next list you select 'google nexus adb device'
8. after that the drivers are installing and the recovery starts on your tablet :fingers-crossed:

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
Hey i think i have the solution for your problem because everytime i am facing the same issue ;)
That means at first adb drivers are shown as installed correctly within the window of the 'Intel Fastboot Tethered Temporary Recovery Session Launcher' tool. But after my tablet reboots into fastboot via method t4 it always says "No valid installer medium found".

Note: I have these adb drivers installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

So here is my solution that works for me: (this is my first post so i cant provide any screenshots.. :( )
2. in windows: navigate to the device manager --> there you should see the symbol "android phone" with a yellow triangle
3. right click on this symbol and choose the first option "update drivers" (sry i don't know if i translated it correctly xD)
8. after that the drivers are installing and the recovery starts on your tablet :fingers-crossed:

That might just work :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: spoonymoon

anilkumar247

Nov 18, 2015

Hello
That worked :)
But instead of google nexus adb device in the list, i got only motorola ADB device, but still it worked .

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Reactions: LouZipper360

AndroMAN

Nov 19, 2013
Thanks.. cld u please link me to ver of xposed working on yt2.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

@AndroMAN somebody hv made a exfat binary zip to be flashed via teetherd recovery.... any idea how to go into twrp recovery.

There is no working mode of Xposed on YT2 as far as I have seen. Still have to look into it.
Go to recovery the same way u did last time, through 'Intel fastboot launcher:

Reactions: sajju73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi?
    I'm posting this thread for all those who want to root their tablet but need a step by step guide for the same. I have condensed the information from many threads and put it into one. All the credit goes to the respective thread owners who have posted the guides. Let's begin:

NOTE: Im not responsible if you brick your device. You are solely responsible for what happens. If you follow the steps correctly it is unlikely that it will harm your device. If you face any issues you can post it here and I will try to solve them ( or someone else will). All good.

Scary stuff apart, let's begin to root your device ?

1. On your device, Go to Settings, Developer Options, and click on Enable USB Debugging. If there is no Developer Options in Settings, Click on About Phone and click 7 times on Build Number. This will give u the option.

2. Once you have enabled it, connect your device to your computer via USB cable.

3. Install the device drivers from the autoplay options.

4. Right click on My Computer and click on Manage

5. A new window will open called Computer Management, under which u have to click on Device Manager.

6. A list of devices connected to your computer will be shown on the right hand side.

If your device is listed under heading Android, as Android ADB Composite Device, then there is no need to download and install adb/fastboot drivers, and you can go ahead with the rooting process.

But its most likely your device will be listed under Other Devices. Under that it will be as MTP device or by the name of your device itself. This means you have to download and install adb/fastboot drivers on your computer before rooting it.

7. Open your browser and click on http://adbdriver.com/upload/adbdriver.zip which will download the adb installer on your computer. Run through the setup and install it. Run the program, it will automatically detect your device and install the necessary adb/fastboot drivers for it on your computer.

Alternatively, you can click on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118 through which you can install the same. I did it with the first method for my device.

Download and install it in [C drive].

8. Once the drivers are installed, go to Device Manager again (Step 4 and 5), and check on the list of devices. Your device should be listed under the heading Android, and showing as Android ADB Composite Device.

9. Open up C drive, there should be a folder named 'adb' under it. Open that folder and right click anywhere and open a command prompt.

U can also press 'Win+R' keyboard keys and type in 'cmd.exe' to open up a command prompt and use the cd command to come into the right folder. Once your into the adb folder in the command prompt (it should show as "C://adb>".
    Type in command 'adb devices' and press enter (without the colons).

This should show you that your device is connected by the name of your chipset as Baytrail******. If it doesn't show this it means the adb drivers are not installed or ur device is not connected to the computer. Only once after it detects your device you have to go ahead with your rooting process.

10. After you have successfully completed all the above steps you are now ready to root your device.

11. Click on this link forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57543871&postcount=1 from where you will have to download 'Intel Fastboot Tethered Temporary Recovery Session Launcher' onto your computer and extract it to some folder.

12. Download the UPDATE SuperSU zip file to your device and store it in your internal memory so you can find it easily later.

13. Now open the folder where you have extracted the Intel Fastboot Tethred Temporary Recovery Session launcher. Double click the launcher.bat file to start and type " ACCEPT " case sensitive without quotes to continue.

check that the tool is reporting as either :
    DEVICE STATUS: ADB-ONLINE
    DEVICE STATUS: FASTBOOT-ONLINE*

If " DEVICE STATUS: UNKNOWN " please check your cable connection and driver installation under Windows Device Manager
    If " DEVICE STATUS: UNAUTHORIZED "

Please check if your devices is displaying an authorization prompt.
    Be sure to check 'Always allow from this computer' and then press ok.

It will ask for the type of recovery u would prefer to run. Options 1-4 will be TWRP recovery and 5 will be CWM. I selected the CWM recovery. So enter number '5' and press enter.

14. It will display the list of triggers to be selected for the rooting process. Select the trigger to launch the Temporary CWM Recovery Session.

The list will be as follows:

T1 oem startftm ( very few devices support this command , but its the original used so )

T2 oem backup_factory ( limited devices support this command )

T3 oem stop_partitioning ( should work on alot of kitkat builds )

T4 oem stop_partitioning ( probably works on all devices that are supported (Jellybean , KitKat , Lollipop)

15. Select trigger 'T4' if you have upgraded your tablet to Lollypop Android 5.0.1. After selecting the trigger your device should reboot into fastboot and begin to copy files to your device.

note :*If your device hangs at the waiting-for-device screen and you see droidboot CMD Waiting on your devices double check that the fastboot driver installed correctly.
    note :*If you see unknown oem command the trigger isn't supported by your device.

16. The temporary cwm recovery session will start at this point on your device.

17. Select install zip from the recovery menu using vol up / vol down to navigate and power to select.

18. Select install zip from sdcard / external_sd depending on where you placed the file and select the UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.Xx.zip you downloaded earlier

19. Confirm the installation.

20. After install completes reboot your device*through the reboot device option in the recovery menu itself.

21. It's going to take a while for the device to reboot. 'Android is upgrading' window will pop up once the screen gets on. After the boot is complete open all apps to see Super SU installed in it.

Now you have successfully rooted your Yoga Tablet 2. Enjoy ☺

NOTE: Follow all steps carefully and correctly so it becomes highly unlikely that you may brick your device. Make sure there is no powercut to your computer during the rooting process if you are not using a laptop or a UPS for your system. You can post any queries or questions in the thread.

All credit goes to the original thread owners, social-design-concepts, workdowg for helping all yoga tablet users to be able to root their devices.

A lot of work has gone into making this NOOB friendly step by step guide. Hit thanks if this helps you. Much appreciated. Have fun rooting.☺

Posted from my Rooted Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (830LC).
    Hi
    prntscr.com/948uzk
    prntscr.com/948ybk

Hi
    prntscr.com/948uzk
    prntscr.com/948ybk

That might just work :fingers-crossed:

Hello
    That worked :)
    But instead of google nexus adb device in the list, i got only motorola ADB device, but still it worked .

Thanks to both of you for the help.