• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to Root Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL... Please?

Search This thread

gsep

Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for all the info posted in this thread, very useful. :D
Someone has the original recovery.img?? :angel:

atf2m4

Sep 17, 2010
Guys, Any one successfully rooted the Indian model(Z01BDB) with this TWRP. if Yes, Let me know.
When i use Magisk or SU zip file to install the TWRP gets terminated in the boot image patcher step "Flashing patched boot image". what is the reason for this abnormal termination. I am on Marshmallow OS.

Last edited:

gsep

Dec 15, 2012
Guys, Any one successfully rooted the Indian model(Z01BDB) with this TWRP. if Yes, Let me know.
When i use Magisk or SU zip file to install the TWRP gets terminated in the boot image patcher step "Flashing patched boot image". what is the reason for this abnormal termination. I am on Marshmallow OS.

Did you try to change SKU?
I had the TIM brand (Italian operator) and now I have WW.
It's a risk of changing SKU, but it worked for me.

Edit: The same thing happens to me if I boot the TWRP from fastboot without flashing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: atf2m4

atf2m4

Sep 17, 2010
Did you try to change SKU?
I had the TIM brand (Italian operator) and now I have WW.
It's a risk of changing SKU, but it worked for me.

Edit: The same thing happens to me if I boot the TWRP from fastboot without flashing it.
Thanks mate, it worked. i was booting TWRP from fastboot so i had abnormal termination and now i flashed the recovery instead of fastboot and it worked.
Another query, will this work in Nougat 7.1.1?

Oct 6, 2016
Does anyone have any experience compiling android (such as LineageOS)? I would like to give it a shot for myself, but I'm unsure where to start, and what the best ideas are. Any pointers?

Also, I'm on a mac, and don't have access to my linux computer for a few days, so is there a way of doing it on macOS?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Thanks mate, it worked. i was booting TWRP from fastboot so i had abnormal termination and now i flashed the recovery instead of fastboot and it worked.
Another query, will this work in Nougat 7.1.1?

I can also confirm, it works on 7.1.1. :)

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

No, I uninstalled "ZenUI" with titanium. Though I also uninstalled the launcher.

Though i do stand corrected, in that it somehow failed to be uninstalled. So that is why. Oops.

:p

Reactions: atf2m4
Oct 6, 2016
After having never done such a thing in my life, I have a linux vm installed, and I will give a shot at building LineageOS for the laser. I will create a new forum on xda for that if I am somewhat successful, if not I may require a bit of help from others on here. it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks, with any luck.

Reactions: Jaspinno1

ZhekaS

Nov 7, 2008
After having never done such a thing in my life, I have a linux vm installed, and I will give a shot at building LineageOS for the laser. I will create a new forum on xda for that if I am somewhat successful, if not I may require a bit of help from others on here. it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks, with any luck.
Man, I don't want to discourage you but to save your time... This part is *hard*. There is no device-specific configs/scripts in the official LineageOS, and porting it on your own without experience would be pain. But.. good luck.

Oct 6, 2016
Man, I don't want to discourage you but to save your time... This part is *hard*. There is no device-specific configs/scripts in the official LineageOS, and porting it on your own without experience would be pain. But.. good luck.
I've quickly come to realize that, do you know of any other way of doing this? Or should we just wait for someone experienced?
Thanks

xcarl1026

Jul 28, 2017
It's really nice to see all the progress. I would really like to get on Lineage OS at some point. This phone literally stops recognizing the SIM card whenever it feels like it. I'm going to try a factory reset. I've read all about getting twrp on the previous posts. So if we can get twrp and root, we should be able to build Lineage too.

That's the hard part. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to the android world. I'm just stuck with this phone. The only thing I'm seeing that it's an issue is that there aren't any configurations we can easily grab when building the OS. I've been reading about it and all seems doable up until a step where you issue the command "breakfast" along with the device codename. There won't be a device codename that "breakfast" can make use of to grab whatever it needs to. That's where I'm seeing the first roadblock when building a ROM.

Oct 6, 2016
It's really nice to see all the progress. I would really like to get on Lineage OS at some point. This phone literally stops recognizing the SIM card whenever it feels like it. I'm going to try a factory reset. I've read all about getting twrp on the previous posts. So if we can get twrp and root, we should be able to build Lineage too.

That's the hard part. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to the android world. I'm just stuck with this phone. The only thing I'm seeing that it's an issue is that there aren't any configurations we can easily grab when building the OS. I've been reading about it and all seems doable up until a step where you issue the command "breakfast" along with the device codename. There won't be a device codename that "breakfast" can make use of to grab whatever it needs to. That's where I'm seeing the first roadblock when building a ROM.

I've started a Reddit thread on /r/LineageOS about this, there seems to be an old guide about it for beginners, involving tools. And yes, we will have to port an existing lineage rom to our phone, but it shouldn't be too difficult.(hopefully.)

So I've decided to take charge for now. Which is something that I, a timid 15 year old Canadian kid, don't do much.

For porting, we need:
- the Asus kernel source code (I already downloaded it)
-another lineage rom from a phone with the same cpu
-build.prop file from our phones (I already have it)
-all the LOS source code
-a couple programs found in the Reddit thread
-courage
-patience
-room filled with pillows, for when we inevitably throw our phone at the wall.

I will host a Google drive folder, I'll put all the files we need that I have into it, and if you folks have anything else useful, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could PM me your Google email, so you can add the files to GDrive.

I'll post the link to my Reddit thread in a second.

Thanks y'all.

[EDIT]
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/6pwvhs/id_like_to_port_lineage_to_my_phone_help_needed

My Reddit thread, as previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Jaspinno1

Mar 28, 2017
Hi ! Sorry for my english, I'm trying to update my rooted M zenfone 3 laser, with downloaded UL-Z01B_1-WW-13.40.104.1-user.zip I tried every tricks, adb, (flashfire, someone said i have to delette somes lines in the updater-script inside the OTA update, but i dont know which one i have to delete, btw my phone was unlocked with the soft on the Asus site,

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys I just ported Lineage OS based Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 7.1.2

What is working at the moment

Modem
    Sound just headphones at the moment no sound from speaker yet
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    Sensors all working gyroscope need some some work
    All buttons

What is not working

Camera
    Speaker

As soon as I finish everything I will publish it from here .

Keep calm!
    idiots guide, how to root zenfone 3 laser for dummies

my zenfone 3 POS! (laser) is now rooted, here is how i did it
    I have a z01bdc with android v7, results may vary with other devices. I am a nube and this is the first phone ive rooted. I wanted to make this guide to save someone the headache I delt with while trying to figure it out. Please understand that this is an unofficial guide. Try at your own risk.
    1-in phone settings, go to security and turn on "unknown sources". then, also from settings, go to "about phone" then "software info", once there, tap build number several times until the phone gives you a message that your a developer. then go back to settings, and find "developer options" here you will see a "usb debugging" setting. turn this on.
    2-with your zenfone, go to: asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/ under utility, find and download/install the bootloader unlocking tool.
    3-run the unlocker tool, keep in mind that it will do a factory reset, and all data will be lost. (backup files/pics/etc as needed) during the process, you will get a message that says " You do not have pin password to verify device, do you still want to unlock your device" tap yes
    4-once completed, you will need to download a couple files. the twrp: https://depositfiles.com/files/ux8w5thp6 and supersu v 2.82:https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/v2-64-2-66-supersu-mode-t3286120/amp/ *the idiots guide has been revised! Use magisk instead or refer to the "evolved" revision on page 7 reply#70, all other steps are the same until further notice * move both files to the phones internal storage so they can be easily found.
    5- with a pc, go to: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2588979 just follow the steps on that thread and then after it is installed, the location where you have saved your twrp.img file you need to go to that folder and hold shift+right click on any empty space inside that folder of which you have saved twrp img and a context menu will come up with various options so select 'open command window here' then all you have to do is enable debugging on your asus zenphone 3 laser and then connect it to your pc and allow debugging on the device a menu will pop up, then inside the command window type "adb reboot bootloader" (remove quotations) then hit enter your phone will reboot to bootloader.
    Next step is to type "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1.unofficial.img" (remove quotations) hit enter
    6- now, using volume rockers on your phone to navigate and lock button as select, select recovery and wait
    7- once the twrp loads, put in you devices lock pin, and continue to main menu. once there, select install, then look for the supersu .zip file (if you dont see it, look for a button that says "zip file" at botton right
    8- done, please follow the instructions above at your own risk, im a nube.
    How to root the Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551kl ?
    It is still not possible, first you need to unlock the bootloader and for this we have to wait for the unlock app ... if they will release it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using XDA Labs
    Official ASUS Bootloader Unlock Tool Released

When it will be possible to unlock bootloader for zenfone 3 laser zc551kl..

Check it out here:
    asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/

Root and ROMs will follow...
    Alright, great to see there is demand. Thanks for the nods guys. I will be working on compiling TRWP for OmniROM during the mornings PST, until noon. Right now work means researching what it is I am actually doing, L! So far reading up on the AOSP site and OmniROM wiki and will follow the TWRP guide posted here on XDA. I will update here in a week with my progress. If I think I can do it, I will start a thread on XDA to follow and a GIT repo.

I think all I will really need is the device information to plug in to an existing tree. So thats the angle Im taking, if theres any tips please pass em on!

Thanks again!