How to Root Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551KL... Please?

Search This thread
Dec 17, 2013
Yes you have to have stock recovery. You'd have to find a stock recovery.img file and flash it but depending on what version of the recovery file you get though you'd have to download a few of the updates.
If you want to update to nougat you'd have to update to latest version of marshmallow and go from there.

Any idea how I would go about getting the stock recovery.img file? Do I extract it out of the ROM? I know the process for flashing TWRP, but I've never flashed stock recovery back before.

I am currently on WW_30.42.31.1_20170629 (7.1.1) and I am trying to update to WW_31.40.13.50_20170816 (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/).

So I would need get the stock recovery from the "WW_31.40.13.50_20170816"? Would I have to ask someone on WW_31.40.13.50_20170816 to send me a copy of the .img file or.... ?

wang1chung

Aug 9, 2010
toronto
Any idea how I would go about getting the stock recovery.img file? Do I extract it out of the ROM? I know the process for flashing TWRP, but I've never flashed stock recovery back before.

I am currently on WW_30.42.31.1_20170629 (7.1.1) and I am trying to update to WW_31.40.13.50_20170816 (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/).

So I would need get the stock recovery from the "WW_31.40.13.50_20170816"? Would I have to ask someone on WW_31.40.13.50_20170816 to send me a copy of the .img file or.... ?

you can flash any firmware through TWRP, just modify the update-script.....I am speaking from personal experience. Besides, finding the stock recovery is a mission considering it is combined with the system image in the firmware and yes, you would have to ask someone for it because I don't have a clue how to extract it, lol.

Edit the update script in the firmware, see this
thread, part 1, step 2-4. Then flash as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: siberian_surfer

GrillaGaming

Apr 4, 2017
you can flash any firmware through TWRP, just modify the update-script.....I am speaking from personal experience. Besides, finding the stock recovery is a mission considering it is combined with the system image in the firmware and yes, you would have to ask someone for it because I don't have a clue how to extract it, lol.

Edit the update script in the firmware, see this
thread, part 1, step 2-4. Then flash as usual.
It is possible to use twrp but i've never had luck doing so.

queback

Oct 5, 2017
Thanks Gt5228 for the tip, Zenfone 3 laser on Android 7.1.1 rooted without any problem with the Magisk method.
Bye bye bloatwares, welcome supersuer privileges, it was about time.

vanh2

Oct 1, 2017
I downgrade 7.1 to 6.0.1 and then install twrp. Twrp error failed to mount/preload . how do fix it?

Dynarek

Nov 9, 2017
Please, I beg you guys, release a tool or a well explained tutorial on how to root this damn phone, I tried everything and failed!

Gt5228

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks Gt5228 for the tip, Zenfone 3 laser on Android 7.1.1 rooted without any problem with the Magisk method.
Bye bye bloatwares, welcome supersuer privileges, it was about time.

No problem, now to just wait for lineage os to become available so we don't have to spend $800-$1000 for a phone that doesn't freeze up constantly lol.

MoNgoLHİMİK

Sep 13, 2017
Guys I just ported Lineage OS based Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 7.1.2

What is working at the moment

Modem
Sound just headphones at the moment no sound from speaker yet
WiFi
Bluetooth
Sensors all working gyroscope need some some work
All buttons

What is not working

Camera
Speaker

As soon as I finish everything I will publish it from here .

Keep calm!
how is it going? did you finish? we are waiting for custom rom. Can you send me this rom's link?

Angeloland

Jul 20, 2016
ottawa
I did it ,unlocked boot loader ,put TWRP unofficial and rooted the asus ZenFone 3 laser ,asus site has unlock APK then followed the instructions on this thread,thank you all who made the TWRP and instructions ,used MAGISEK ,works awesome.Didn't have to downgrade running new update on N 7.1.1

Last edited:

metalmouth

Jan 9, 2008
Lucena City
rooted mine using the guide here without problem. mine was nougat 7.1 and i used the latest magisk. restarted a couple of times and it looks like everything is fine.

MoNgoLHİMİK

Sep 13, 2017
How is going custom rom works? We need . Because stock firmware has a lot of problems.
And you can port from Moto G5 . It has Sd430 cpu and 1080p screen. I think , it is better than redmi 3s.

SnakeByte

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
https://www.reddit.com/r/zenfone3/comments/6l2wen/zenfone_3_laser_twrp_and_root_unofficial/
Found this while looking around - and it works! For me, at least. I suggest backing up everything in your phones internal storage though. I'm not sure if the bootloader unlock did it, or trying to back up partitions did it, but my internal storage was wiped clean when I went through the process.
aYBOM30.jpg

The original post is deleted :( https://www.reddit.com/r/zenfone3/co...ot_unofficial/

SnakeByte

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Successfully flashed TWRP and installed Magisk v.15.3 on ZC551KL Android 6.1. Thank you guys.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

my zenfone 3 POS! (laser) is now rooted, here is how i did it
I have a z01bdc with android v7, results may vary with other devices. I am a nube and this is the first phone ive rooted. I wanted to make this guide to save someone the headache I delt with while trying to figure it out. Please understand that this is an unofficial guide. Try at your own risk.
1-in phone settings, go to security and turn on "unknown sources". then, also from settings, go to "about phone" then "software info", once there, tap build number several times until the phone gives you a message that your a developer. then go back to settings, and find "developer options" here you will see a "usb debugging" setting. turn this on.
2-with your zenfone, go to: asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/ under utility, find and download/install the bootloader unlocking tool.
3-run the unlocker tool, keep in mind that it will do a factory reset, and all data will be lost. (backup files/pics/etc as needed) during the process, you will get a message that says " You do not have pin password to verify device, do you still want to unlock your device" tap yes
4-once completed, you will need to download a couple files. the twrp: https://depositfiles.com/files/ux8w5thp6 and supersu v 2.82:https://www.google.com/amp/s/xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/v2-64-2-66-supersu-mode-t3286120/amp/ *the idiots guide has been revised! Use magisk instead or refer to the "evolved" revision on page 7 reply#70, all other steps are the same until further notice * move both files to the phones internal storage so they can be easily found.
5- with a pc, go to: https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2588979 just follow the steps on that thread and then after it is installed, the location where you have saved your twrp.img file you need to go to that folder and hold shift+right click on any empty space inside that folder of which you have saved twrp img and a context menu will come up with various options so select 'open command window here' then all you have to do is enable debugging on your asus zenphone 3 laser and then connect it to your pc and allow debugging on the device a menu will pop up, then inside the command window type "adb reboot bootloader" (remove quotations) then hit enter your phone will reboot to bootloader.
Next step is to type "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1.unofficial.img" (remove quotations) hit enter
6- now, using volume rockers on your phone to navigate and lock button as select, select recovery and wait
7- once the twrp loads, put in you devices lock pin, and continue to main menu. once there, select install, then look for the supersu .zip file (if you dont see it, look for a button that says "zip file" at botton right
8- done, please follow the instructions above at your own risk, im a nube.

BIG FAT THANK YOU. After few soft bricks and reinstalling of stock firmware, due to SU not working, i managed to flash Unofficial TWRP and install Magisk v.15.3 with one attempt, and now my brother, i have a ZC551KL (Z01BDC) Zenfone 3 Laser, running droid 6.1 ROOTED. Thank you so.

Reactions: synfuel79

Pisa1404

Feb 14, 2018
I have a z01bdc with android v7, results may vary with other devices. I am a nube and this is the first phone ive rooted. I wanted to make this guide to save someone the headache I delt with while trying to figure it out. Please understand that this is an unofficial guide. Try at your own risk.
1-in phone settings, go to security and turn on "unknown sources". then, also from settings, go to "about phone" then "software info", once there, tap build number several times until the phone gives you a message that your a developer. then go back to settings, and find "developer options" here you will see a "usb debugging" setting. turn this on.
2-with your zenfone, go to: asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/ under utility, find and download/install the bootloader unlocking tool.
3-run the unlocker tool, keep in mind that it will do a factory reset, and all data will be lost. (backup files/pics/etc as needed) during the process, you will get a message that says " You do not have pin password to verify device, do you still want to unlock your device" tap yes
4-once completed, you will need to download a couple files. the twrp: https://depositfiles.com/files/ux8w5thp6 and supersu v 2.82:https://www.google.com/amp/s/xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/v2-64-2-66-supersu-mode-t3286120/amp/ *the idiots guide has been revised! Use magisk instead or refer to the "evolved" revision on page 7 reply#70, all other steps are the same until further notice * move both files to the phones internal storage so they can be easily found.
5- with a pc, go to: https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2588979 just follow the steps on that thread and then after it is installed, the location where you have saved your twrp.img file you need to go to that folder and hold shift+right click on any empty space inside that folder of which you have saved twrp img and a context menu will come up with various options so select 'open command window here' then all you have to do is enable debugging on your asus zenphone 3 laser and then connect it to your pc and allow debugging on the device a menu will pop up, then inside the command window type "adb reboot bootloader" (remove quotations) then hit enter your phone will reboot to bootloader.
Next step is to type "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1.unofficial.img" (remove quotations) hit enter
6- now, using volume rockers on your phone to navigate and lock button as select, select recovery and wait
7- once the twrp loads, put in you devices lock pin, and continue to main menu. once there, select install, then look for the supersu .zip file (if you dont see it, look for a button that says "zip file" at botton right

Sorry man the "https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2588979" link in step 5 isn't working, can you give me an alternative one?

EDIT: sorry, stupid question, link is simply "https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979"

Last edited:

SnakeByte

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
maybe so... I was successful with v7 but am using ZO1BCD, not ZC551KL.[/QUOTE]

Z01BDC is ZC551KL ;)
ZC551KL is the world model and same model in America and Canada is called Z01BDC.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys I just ported Lineage OS based Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 7.1.2

What is working at the moment

Modem
    Sound just headphones at the moment no sound from speaker yet
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    Sensors all working gyroscope need some some work
    All buttons

What is not working

Camera
    Speaker

As soon as I finish everything I will publish it from here .

Keep calm!
    idiots guide, how to root zenfone 3 laser for dummies

How to root the Zenfone 3 Laser ZC551kl ?
    It is still not possible, first you need to unlock the bootloader and for this we have to wait for the unlock app ... if they will release it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using XDA Labs
    Official ASUS Bootloader Unlock Tool Released

When it will be possible to unlock bootloader for zenfone 3 laser zc551kl..

Check it out here:
    asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/HelpDesk_Download/

Root and ROMs will follow...
    Alright, great to see there is demand. Thanks for the nods guys. I will be working on compiling TRWP for OmniROM during the mornings PST, until noon. Right now work means researching what it is I am actually doing, L! So far reading up on the AOSP site and OmniROM wiki and will follow the TWRP guide posted here on XDA. I will update here in a week with my progress. If I think I can do it, I will start a thread on XDA to follow and a GIT repo.

I think all I will really need is the device information to plug in to an existing tree. So thats the angle Im taking, if theres any tips please pass em on!

Thanks again!