How to root Zenfone 3 Zoom (ZE553KL)

Search This thread

magicmanfk

Dec 23, 2010
Full credit to redditor qrtippadfhjlzcbmm for the instructions, I'm just reposting here. Link to reddit post at end.

I successfully rooted my Zenfone 3. It seemed worth posting since there weren't really any posts I could find verifying a recovery image. [for clarification that was from the post, not me magicmanfk]

1. Unlock the boot loader with the instructions / app from Asus
2. Download TWRP. Specifically twrp-3.1.0-0-Z01H-20170408.img ** [edit: also rename to twrp.img once downloaded]
3. Download SuperSU.
4. Reboot to fastboot by rebooting the phone, and pressing the down arrow during the unlock screen.
5. Flash the recovery image `fastboot flash recovery twrp.img`
6. I had to power cycle the phone completely to get TWRP running.
7. Reboot to recovery. If TWRP ever asks you something about not making the system read only don't swipe! Say not now.
8. Install SuperSU with steps 7 - 10 from the SuperSU site

** I'm generally wary about downloading recovery images from random places, but I found a link posted by shakalaca on the Asus forums (translated), so it seemed worth trying out.

Original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/zenfone/comments/6gqha5/zenfone_3_ze553kl_z01hd_root/

Last edited:

DriveEuro

Aug 31, 2010
Have you attempted to flash the newest ROM yet since being bootloader unlocked? Not sure if we can do it in TWRP or need stock recovery to do it.

magicmanfk

Dec 23, 2010
Have you attempted to flash the newest ROM yet since being bootloader unlocked? Not sure if we can do it in TWRP or need stock recovery to do it.

I have not personally done this because of exactly what you are asking. I believe you need stock recovery to do it, but this is from scouring what other people have done and I don't have a link. I'm waiting for the nougat update before doing it.

Any roms available for the zenfone 3 xoom ? I would love some stock roms lol

Not yet! I'm hoping there will be soon though. It may help if there was a forum for the device, so if you haven't yet please make a post in the Device forum request page for it!

Last edited:

DriveEuro

Aug 31, 2010
I have not personally done this because of exactly what you are asking. I believe you need stock recovery to do it, but this is from scouring what other people have done and I don't have a link. I'm waiting for the nougat update before doing it.
You should be able to extract the stock recovery out of previous ROMs and flash it.
I'm with you though, waiting for Nougat update. Not bothering with this last ROM from late May that added pretty much nothing.

qrtippadfhjlzcbmm

Jun 24, 2017
Hi. I'm the person from reddit.

I'm sure it's (some how) possible to apply an update after running this process. I realize now I should have done this, and then applied the May update, but I didn't. I will try to make it a point to post some instructions on how to do it when it comes out because I'm struggling with out Nougat.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage Asus notification bar, and get the default Android one?

Reactions: magicmanfk

bizzino

Jul 19, 2017
Hi, I can not run the root, because by using the official unlock software, something is unsuccessful ... By running the software comes out a "unlocked" message without there being any wipe or restart of the smartphone. .. Does anyone have the same problem? I also tried to make a "factory reset" from recovery but the problem remains ...

bluemountain83

Dec 1, 2017
steps how to relock bootloader in ZE553KL

Hi, i have rooted my asus zoom ZE553kl when i bought, i follow steps how to root asus ZE553KL in this thread and i succed
i delete so many rubbish preinstalled application that i dont need them, but now i want to relock bootloader again.
could you sir give me any tips how to relock ze553kl bootloader?
Thanks

robertomoreno

Jan 12, 2018
I can't see the twrp file when device is ready to recovery. Some good soul may post a detailed step-by-step with screen shots, please? Yeah, I'm a noob.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full credit to redditor qrtippadfhjlzcbmm for the instructions, I'm just reposting here. Link to reddit post at end.

I successfully rooted my Zenfone 3. It seemed worth posting since there weren't really any posts I could find verifying a recovery image. [for clarification that was from the post, not me magicmanfk]

1. Unlock the boot loader with the instructions / app from Asus
    2. Download TWRP. Specifically twrp-3.1.0-0-Z01H-20170408.img ** [edit: also rename to twrp.img once downloaded]
    3. Download SuperSU.
    4. Reboot to fastboot by rebooting the phone, and pressing the down arrow during the unlock screen.
    5. Flash the recovery image `fastboot flash recovery twrp.img`
    6. I had to power cycle the phone completely to get TWRP running.
    7. Reboot to recovery. If TWRP ever asks you something about not making the system read only don't swipe! Say not now.
    8. Install SuperSU with steps 7 - 10 from the SuperSU site

** I'm generally wary about downloading recovery images from random places, but I found a link posted by shakalaca on the Asus forums (translated), so it seemed worth trying out.

Original post:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/zenfone/comments/6gqha5/zenfone_3_ze553kl_z01hd_root/
    Hi. I'm the person from reddit.

I'm sure it's (some how) possible to apply an update after running this process. I realize now I should have done this, and then applied the May update, but I didn't. I will try to make it a point to post some instructions on how to do it when it comes out because I'm struggling with out Nougat.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage Asus notification bar, and get the default Android one?
    No. Ended up returning Bootloader unlocked phone for a new phone. Waiting until I see others successfully unlock BL and flash stock ROMs.
    You can get the stock recovery from the converting cm to ww thread. The image there contains the recovery.IMG file.
    Hi, i bought this phone.

Also you have a light halo in bottom of screen?

Thanks
    Hi, i bought this phone.

Also you have a light halo in bottom of screen?

Thanks
    Yap i have a little on the right side of the screen

Enviado do meu ASUS_Z01HD através do Tapatalk