[How to] root

Search This thread

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Here I made a pic collage, if you still don't understand I can't help you lol. The process is way too simple.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/root.png?w=AABSeC4zKARtvN1n-dOpFNUdwULfuq5Jc9pNX1-fLbe95A

And here's the link for the ruu program.
http://www.androidruu.com/?developer=Myst

At the end after you click recovery your device will reboot just enter hboot mode again but holder the power button and volume down rocker and go back to recovery.

um...can you upload those in a .zip or something, i dont have dropbox...

abrahammmmmmm_

Oct 19, 2013
Salem
I posted a picture guide on my blog argue4android.blogpsot.com

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app

This is it right?

Screenshot_2013-12-19-20-17-15.jpg

Can't really find anything androidish on here..

gyiry

Feb 4, 2014
Is this a working guide?

I want to know if this still is a working guide. I have an HTC First 4.1.2.

Also, I wanted to know if it really factory resets the phone.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
I want to know if this still is a working guide. I have an HTC First 4.1.2.

Also, I wanted to know if it really factory resets the phone.

Once you unlock the boot loader it will format the device. So by by apps and data. And SD card. So back up all your apps and transfer to a PC.

Sent from my HTC first using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gyiry

Feb 4, 2014
Once you unlock the boot loader it will format the device. So by by apps and data. And SD card. So back up all your apps and transfer to a PC.

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do I back-up my apps and data besides transferring through the usb? Спосибо!

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do I back-up my apps and data besides transferring through the usb? Спосибо!

О так ты свой?

Um...there isn't any other way. It will format all internal memory. So...once you unlock the boot loader you can safely boot and transfer the apk's and install. I prefer android assistant for back up.

gyiry

Feb 4, 2014
О так ты свой?

Um...there isn't any other way. It will format all internal memory. So...once you unlock the boot loader you can safely boot and transfer the apk's and install. I prefer android assistant for back up.

I started the process, downloaded drivers and enabled USB debugging. Went onto fastboot on the device and everything but my computer just doesn't recognize the device. I wen at it for an hour downloading drivers uninstalling old ones, it just doesn't recognize the fastboot.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
I started the process, downloaded drivers and enabled USB debugging. Went onto fastboot on the device and everything but my computer just doesn't recognize the device. I wen at it for an hour downloading drivers uninstalling old ones, it just doesn't recognize the fastboot.

Um...do you have the fast boot .Bat?
Do you have the android SDK?
Your PC should auto install the drovers when you plug your phone in to do a USB file transfer when its booted.
Do you have USB debugging on?

Last edited:

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
I already have done that several times. Rebooted my PC too. :confused::confused:

1. Reboot PC
2. Plug in your phone (while booted) and see if you can do usb transfer AND see if in your notification drawer it says debugging on.
3. Get the android SDK
4. Get the fastboot folder from here somewhere (if you havent already)
5. Reboot into bootloader, go to fastboot mode
6. Navigate to C: Program FIles/Android/Android-SDK/Tools/ddms.bat (run it) This will open the android debug bridge finder, your device should be there...not sure...but it can help running it.
7. Run fastboot.bat
8. Did that work?

Last edited:

gyiry

Feb 4, 2014
ALSO
When in rebooting into fast boot mode...do not be connected to the pc. connect AFTER you are in fastboot mode

Очень хорошо! I was able to do it from another computer. It seems like my laptop just didn't work right! BUT, I think I bricked my phone installing an XPOSED module, GRAVITYBOX...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    did you solve your problem yet ? they have a method of rooting around these threads, ill see if i can find it for you

step 1: did you unlock your bootloader through htcdev ? htcdev has a step by step thing to show you how to unlock your bootloader, oh and when you choose which device just click the last option which should be something like "all supported" or whatever.

step 2: flash a custom recovery like TWRP , heres a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2241782 , once you're in twrp when you attempt to leave it should give in option to flash supersu (or whatever its called) *ALSO TWRP IS KINDA BUGGY JUST LEAVE THE PHONE ALONE FOR LIKE 15 SECONDS SO IT TIMES OUT, IT WILL FIX ANY GRAPHICAL GLITCHES*

step 3: at this point you should have supersu (or whatever its called) but you can't make system changes due to the phone being S-ON so you wanna get S-OFF next.... *WORK IN PROGRESS* (im not home at the moment but i started this so you atleast can get somewhere)
    the unlock bootloader thing is pretty safe its just a command you run while your phone is in bootloader just make sure you have adb and fastboot ill see if i can get you some pictues and screenshots in the meantime

by the way most htc phones go through this process haha, so yeah i guess it is time to learn

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

unlocking bootloader instructions:

1) Make sure to have adb and fastboot, oh and the htc drivers

i just realized this is alot of work to make a guide so heres a link if i lose you in my lazy guide below :good: http://technosamigos.com/unlock-bootloaders-htc-first-facebook-home-phone/

Quick Lazy Guide

do as above , then htc will send you an email to the email you registered with attached with a file called "unlock.bin" put that file into the folder that you have the adb and fastboot, at that point you can then turn your htc first off and then enter bootloader by holding down power button and volume down while the phone is off and you can keep holding both buttons intill you reach the white bootloader screen, once in bootloader plug it into the computer then press the power button on the fastboot option, it should show fastboot in red and be detected since you should have installed the htc drivers by now, then hold SHIFT while right clicking somewhere in the folder and click the option in the context menu to "open a command promt here" at that point you're gonna run the command: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin .... then after that you should see THIS: http://i.imgur.com/G5FxYSZ.png , press volume up till you highlight yes and press the power button , BOOM YOU HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WOOOOOOOOO PARTY PARTY PARTY

BOOTLOADER LOOKS LIKE THIS: http://i.imgur.com/rJ3Vn5w.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Now the recovery

now that the bootloader is unlocked you can then restart the phone and then go back into bootloader to flash a recovery, you can do either but i prefer twrp since it allows you to flash supersu before you restart your phone.

here are links to:
    TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2241782 GIVES AN OPTION TO FLASH SUPERSU BEFORE YOU RESTART PHONE
    please remember that twrp has graphical issues that can be fixed once the screen times out in however many seconds

CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2241777 THE CWM THREAD SHOWS HOW TO GET ROOT BY FLASHING SUPERSU ZIP

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Now to get S-OFF

there are two methods, Moonshine and RumRunner. both have already good guides which are the websites, try moonshine but if it doesn't work try rumrunner.

Moonshine: http://moonshine.io/

Rumrunner: http://rumrunner.us/

like i said try moonshine, but for me moonshine didnt work so i had to use rumrunner, and after i used rumrunner i had S-off but my phone kept bootlooping, MY SOLUTION (saying this because there are many and i cannot promise that it will work for you) was to RE-LOCK the bootloader (by running the command fastboot oem lock or something like that i will find out later)after obtaining S-OFF (you can verify if you have S-ON or S-OFF through the bootloader should say it somewhere near the top, so it sounds crazy but you can still do all functions after the bootloader is locked you can still flash roms and access custom recovery and everything, the stock rom just responds bad to having S-OFF and unlocked bootloaders for some including me.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

I am an extremely lazy person if you haven't noticed, you should feel honored to have me make you a half-assed personal guide with few photos here and there lol i kid i kid.
    wow...that makes alot...and i mean hell of alot more sense now! nice job with the explanation...
    i figured out the bootloader portion...and heading on to recovery...but usualy i do this one day at a time...like let it run in its "new state" for a while before doing anything...dont want to overload a brand spankn new device eh?

now questions...specificaly
    1. what is "standalone adb and fastboot" in step number one?
    2. how do you navigate in the boot loader? and etc?
    3. i still dont quite get how to do recovery - HOW do i do these...i understand i need to do all that below VVV but HOW
    3a. Boot into HBOOT then Fastboot
    3b. Erase cache from fastboot before flashing recovery. Use command "fastboot erase cache"
    3c. From fastboot. Use command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    4. what is S OFF??????
    5. and finaly...how do i flash everything that needs to be flashed, since i dont have a recovery, in fastboot or what ever?

as you noticed...i think HTC has over done the whole security ****...the phones should just come pre rooted.

1. adb and fast boot are the programs you need before you root so your computer will detect your phone. So in simpler terms before you even try to root you should have android sdk manager installed on your computer and everything up to date.

Here's are the fastboot and adb files.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqdt4mq0t1ai251/fastboot adb.rar

Once you download those, you're gonna make a folder called Android in your C: drive or whatever your main drive is and place those files in there.

The folder should look like this:
    kmt4.png

The android-sdk-windows folder is where you should put all of your SDK/sdk manager files.

Once you're done with that, you'll have to make a folder called fastboot on the C: drive also but to make your life easier I'll just upload mines, so you just have to place it on the C drive.

fastboot:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2zsnjbeitiy3du/fastboot.rar

Here's how your drive should look when done.
    d5xp.png

Now back to your questions, to enter boot loader mode, you hold down the power key with the volume down rocker until you enter the white screen with all the options.

And then to fast boot you just make sure the option is high lighted and press the power button.

The volume buttons are used to navigate and the power button is used to select btw.

And to do recovery is simple, once you are in fast boot it should say fastboot usb on the screen some where from there you open up CMD and type the command

cd c:\fastboot

and then press enter and then you enter the command

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

If you're using the files I uploaded everything should go smoothly I already put TWRP recovery in the folder.

Once the recovery is down flashing you go back to the boot loader screen jusy by pressing it and then go down to recovery and wala you're rooted, TWRP automatically installs supersu for you.

I'm to lazy to explain S-OFF but basically it allows you to change system files permanently, normal once you reset your device whatever changes you made to the /system would disappear unless you have S-OFF.
    wow...that makes alot...and i mean hell of alot more sense now! nice job with the explanation...
    i figured out the bootloader portion...and heading on to recovery...but usualy i do this one day at a time...like let it run in its "new state" for a while before doing anything...dont want to overload a brand spankn new device eh?

now questions...specificaly
    1. what is "standalone adb and fastboot" in step number one?
    2. how do you navigate in the boot loader? and etc?
    3. i still dont quite get how to do recovery - HOW do i do these...i understand i need to do all that below VVV but HOW
    3a. Boot into HBOOT then Fastboot
    3b. Erase cache from fastboot before flashing recovery. Use command "fastboot erase cache"
    3c. From fastboot. Use command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    4. what is S OFF??????
    5. and finaly...how do i flash everything that needs to be flashed, since i dont have a recovery, in fastboot or what ever?

as you noticed...i think HTC has over done the whole security ****...the phones should just come pre rooted.

1) the fast boot and adb is standalone because the full thing is the android SDK, which is a lot lot lot lot larger to download, so the standalone is basically the essentials

2) you navigate using the volume rocker and you click options by using the power button

3) hboot IS the bootloader. So like I said while the device is completely off hold Volume Down + Power Button intill it boots into bootloader/hboot , then you press the power button to select fastboot. And you would run "fastboot erase cache" through the command prompt that you open when you hold shift and right click in the folder where you have adb and fastboot. And you would place the recovery you download in the folder with adb and fastboot And run the command so for example "fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img"

4) first let's start with S-ON, basically S-ON protects the system from any changes or tampering you might do, if you try to modify system files your phone will restart and any changes would be reverted, or as soon as you restart your phone manually all changes are gone. Therefore when you turn S-off it allows you to tamper with the files and make changes.

5) and you can't flash anything without a recovery really, unless its a update from HTC directly or something

Sent from my HTC first
    Thanks for the guide in this thread.. I am trying to root my First as well but, and I have the Unlock_code.bin file. I am trying to push that back to the device, but the process seems to freeze when I do the "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" I have let it sit there for several minutes. Any ideas? I am on a fresh install of Win7.

Thanks again for this guide.