[HOW TO] Rooting Flashing Custom Recovery & Kernal

Search This thread

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
Hello Mates!

Since there is hardly any detailed guide as to how to Root, Flashing custom kernel & Recovery I decided to make a detailed guide that might help you.
Disclaimer:
Following this will void your warranty
This method will trip Knox and Samsung pay may not work (Until some Dev might come up with better method)
The steps mentioned here are was tested but in case if it didn't work I or the developers take no responsibility so use it on your own risk
Prerequisites

1. Odin v3.10.7
  2. USB Drivers
  3. Phil Recovery & Arter97 Kernal or TWRP Recovery
  4. Super SU
Supported Devices:

• g920fi
  • g920skl
  • g920tw8
  • g925fi
  • g925skl
  • g925tw8
  • g928fci (You can flash this on Indian firmware as well)
  • g928skl
  • g928tw8

So let's start

1. Backup your device before following this guide
  2. First download and install the USB driver from the above link
  3. Download Odin and unpack to a folder
  4. Download Phil Recovery from Arter97 Kernel thread (recommended)
  5. Download Arter97 Kernel & SuperSU and copy them to your device
  6. Enable Developers option in your phone
    1. Go to Settings -> Above device ->Software Info and tap on Build number 10 times to enable Developers Mode
    2. Then Go to Settings & Developers option and Make sure "USB Debugging" is enabled & "OEM Unlock" is enabled
Flashing Recovery:

1. Now let's reboot the device into Download Mode
    1. Power off the device.
    2. Press Volume Down + Home + Power button at the same time and hold them.
  2. Now open Odin and connect your device to your PC (Sometimes it might take some time for the Odin to detect the device)
  3. Once Odin detects your device choose AP button and select the recovery file you downloaded (File name with extension .tar.md5)
  4. Now go to the options tab and make sure everything else is unchecked expect F. Reset Time
  5. Now click on Start to Flash the custom recovery
  6. Once it's completed your see "PASS" in a green box on top left corner of Odin
  7. Congratulations! You have successfully flashed your Custom Recovery

Flashing Kernel & Rooting

• Now let's reboot the device in Recovery mode
  • Holding Power +Volume Up+ Home key for a couple of seconds.
  • Once you are in Recovery it's recommend to take a backup
  • Now Flash the Kernel (It will remove Knox)
  • Once you Flashed the Kernel, Flash SuperSU

Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your device.

You are facing any issues? Please post your question so I or one of our community members will help you out.

Update
:
For Android Marshmallow you could use Chainfire's CF Root. For SM-G928C visit https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ or download it from here
Also you could check Dr. Ketan's Root and Deep sleep fix guide: here

Update 27th March 2016:
Seems like the some of the root methods out there is hit and miss like CF Auto Root etc. But seems like lot of people reported rooting with SkyHigh Kernel seems to working.
SkyHigh Kernel

Last edited:

tatoo069sv

Mar 23, 2013
@ShyamSasi

That's brilliant...it will help a lot of people out and stop a lot of silly questions lol. Now only for some Roms or deodexed stock lol for xposed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: sheebee

swift2fly

Aug 9, 2011
nice write up. you might want to note that after the recovery is flashed. do not reboot the device system. i did it twice on accident and both times, because after the flash, it stays in download mode. the system re-installed the stock recovery. so what i did was hold: vol down, home and power to reboot back into download mode then from there i hit vol up to cancel. then as soon as the phone is about to reboot, i did the: vol up + home + power button combo to boot into the new recovery. *my phone didn't let me boot into recovery from download mode.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
@ShyamSasi

That's brilliant...it will help a lot of people out and stop a lot of silly questions lol. Now only for some Roms or deodexed stock lol for xposed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thank you

nice write up. you might want to note that after the recovery is flashed. do not reboot the device system. i did it twice on accident and both times, because after the flash, it stays in download mode. the system re-installed the stock recovery. so what i did was hold: vol down, home and power to reboot back into download mode then from there i hit vol up to cancel. then as soon as the phone is about to reboot, i did the: vol up + home + power button combo to boot into the new recovery. *my phone didn't let me boot into recovery from download mode.

Yes I understand. That's why I asked you uncheck everything from Odin i.e. Auto reboot option. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure this will help out.

swift2fly

Aug 9, 2011
Thank you

Yes I understand. That's why I asked you uncheck everything from Odin i.e. Auto reboot option. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure this will help out.

i had Auto Reboot un-checked. so after the flash it just stays on download mode. therefore i did the steps that i had previously mentioned.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
i have this model they are not root yet ??

Edge+ Model SM-G928G

I have G928G model and I used g928fci to root.

Does it work with the Canadian g928w8. Thanks much.

I'm not sure mate, seems like it's not listed. Browse around the kernel thread to see if anyone has reported flashing a compatible kernel.

i had Auto Reboot un-checked. so after the flash it just stays on download mode. therefore i did the steps that i had previously mentioned.

Ah alright. Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: x.Orville.x

swift2fly

Aug 9, 2011
Is possible used The same method to root s6 edge+ that s6 edge normal?

i can confirm that the steps are the same for the s6 edge, the kernel and required files are different. Just search and you will find it. I know this because i previously had the s6 edge (international) on 5.1.1

xLychee

Jun 14, 2012
So this question sounds kinda dumb for me...

With this method I can root my SM-G928F right?

Does it wipe my phone?

Sorry for those questions but it's my first Samsung Phone.

-Lychee

xLychee

Jun 14, 2012
Thank you very much, then I will proceed and enjoy my adblocker again.

Another quite dumb question: Is F928fci the right kernel version / recovery for my device?

-Lychee

EDIT: Yes it is, reading helps alot.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Mates!

Since there is hardly any detailed guide as to how to Root, Flashing custom kernel & Recovery I decided to make a detailed guide that might help you.
    Disclaimer:
    Following this will void your warranty
    This method will trip Knox and Samsung pay may not work (Until some Dev might come up with better method)
    The steps mentioned here are was tested but in case if it didn't work I or the developers take no responsibility so use it on your own risk
    Prerequisites

1. Odin v3.10.7
    2. USB Drivers
    3. Phil Recovery & Arter97 Kernal or TWRP Recovery
    4. Super SU
    Supported Devices:

• g920fi
    • g920skl
    • g920tw8
    • g925fi
    • g925skl
    • g925tw8
    • g928fci (You can flash this on Indian firmware as well)
    • g928skl
    • g928tw8

So let's start

1. Backup your device before following this guide
    2. First download and install the USB driver from the above link
    3. Download Odin and unpack to a folder
    4. Download Phil Recovery from Arter97 Kernel thread (recommended)
    5. Download Arter97 Kernel & SuperSU and copy them to your device
    6. Enable Developers option in your phone
      1. Go to Settings -> Above device ->Software Info and tap on Build number 10 times to enable Developers Mode
      2. Then Go to Settings & Developers option and Make sure "USB Debugging" is enabled & "OEM Unlock" is enabled
    Flashing Recovery:

1. Now let's reboot the device into Download Mode
      1. Power off the device.
      2. Press Volume Down + Home + Power button at the same time and hold them.
    2. Now open Odin and connect your device to your PC (Sometimes it might take some time for the Odin to detect the device)
    3. Once Odin detects your device choose AP button and select the recovery file you downloaded (File name with extension .tar.md5)
    4. Now go to the options tab and make sure everything else is unchecked expect F. Reset Time
    5. Now click on Start to Flash the custom recovery
    6. Once it's completed your see "PASS" in a green box on top left corner of Odin
    7. Congratulations! You have successfully flashed your Custom Recovery

Flashing Kernel & Rooting

• Now let's reboot the device in Recovery mode
    • Holding Power +Volume Up+ Home key for a couple of seconds.
    • Once you are in Recovery it's recommend to take a backup
    • Now Flash the Kernel (It will remove Knox)
    • Once you Flashed the Kernel, Flash SuperSU

Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your device.

You are facing any issues? Please post your question so I or one of our community members will help you out.

Update
    :
    For Android Marshmallow you could use Chainfire's CF Root. For SM-G928C visit https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ or download it from here
    Also you could check Dr. Ketan's Root and Deep sleep fix guide: here

Update 27th March 2016:
    Seems like the some of the root methods out there is hit and miss like CF Auto Root etc. But seems like lot of people reported rooting with SkyHigh Kernel seems to working.
    SkyHigh Kernel
    OK I HAVE A FREAKING G928G S6 EDGE PLUS AND HOW DO I ROOT IT? I SAW SOMEONE SAYING G928 I,C,F WILL WORK BUT WHEN I GO THERE TO DOWNLOAD THOSE STUFF THERE IS A LOT OF STUFF I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DOWNLOAD....any help would be appreciated

Firs of all it would be very kind to stop shouting. It's not nice to write all in upper case.
    ODIN
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2711451
    USB drivers for your PC
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...NG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe
    Kernel and Philz recovery for 928F / C / I / G
    http://arter97.com/browse/exynos7420/kernel/9.4/g928fcig/
    Super SU
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip?retrieve_file=1
    You have to install all the stock firmware again with wipe sistem and then front the scratch..... twrp ando flash supersu.

Just got root.

I didn't install stock firmware again, I just went back into odin and installed TWRP recovery instead of the Philz recovery.

Went into TWRP recovery did same steps, installed kernel, then installed SuperSU but this version:
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    So this question sounds kinda dumb for me...

With this method I can root my SM-G928F right?

Does it wipe my phone?

Sorry for those questions but it's my first Samsung Phone.

-Lychee

Yes! It will root G928F.

No, it will not wipe the phone.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone