• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to run Whatsapp on WiFi Android tablet - No root required

Is this thread useful

• Total voters
Search This thread

osabor

Jan 15, 2009
Whatsapp is a very popular application among smartphone users. However, the owners of WiFi tablet devices are just not allowed to enjoy this application as it does not accept the installation on such devices.
Here I will give you (with the help of God) a sure and easy way to get around this ban and run Whatsapp on these devices.
This method works with all kinds of devices for all versions of Android.
This method is driven and modified from the application: “Whatsapp instalar en tablet” by Gonzalo de Cordoba.

Requirements:
  • WiFi Android tablet willing to run Whatsapp on.
  • Any Android mobile to help in the installation process.
  • A mobile number to register Whatsapp (and also can register with a landline number)

Method:

First: From the mobile

Install application "GO Contacts EX" from the play market.

Install application "App Backup & Restore" and run it then search for "GO Contact EX" and put a tick and then look for “Whatsapp” as well as put a tick, and then press “Backup” below.

Whatsapp_Backup.jpg

Then go to “Archived” tab where you will find the two applications.

Whatsapp_Archived.jpg

Long press the "GO Contact EX" until the options menu appears.

Whatsapp_send_app.jpg

Chose "Send" and then send an e-mail.

Whatsapp_Email_Eng.jpg

Then do the same for the other application "Whatsapp" and thus two E-mails are sent that you will receive later from the tablet.

Second: from the tablet

Make sure to activate the option "install from unknown sources" from the Android security settings (look around for this option because it is misplaced in different versions of Android).
Open the first E-mail sent earlier from Mobile and download the attached file which is an installation file with extension "apk". Open to install the application "GO Contacts EX" on the tablet.
After that open the other E-mail that contains whatsapp application in the attachment and open it to install Whatsapp on the tablet.

Congratulations, Whatsapp is on and ready.

Notes:

• When you open Whatsapp, a mobile number is required to activate it and it will check the number with an SMS message or a phone call. You can also use a landline number and complete the number of digits with zeros after the number and use a phone call verification.
  • Contacts management is made through "GO Contact EX". A new name can be added to Whatsapp by sending a message to a contact from the contacts manager.
  • We used "GO Contact EX" application to synchronize contacts with Whatsapp and if it was not accepted by your mobile phone, you can use any application that manages contacts such as "Xphone Free".

Osama Fathi Alborbar
Gaza Strip​

Last edited:

trancoss2

Sep 28, 2012
Whatsapp is a very popular application among smartphone users. However, the owners of WiFi tablet devices are just not allowed to enjoy this application as it does not accept the installation on such devices.
Here I will give you (with the help of God) a sure and easy way to get around this ban and run Whatsapp on these devices.
This method is driven and modified from the application: “Whatsapp instalar en tablet” by Gonzalo de Cordoba.

Requirements:
  • A mobile number to register Whatsapp (and also can register with a landline number)

Method:

Install application "App Backup & Restore" and run it then search for "GO Contact EX" and put a tick and then look for “Whatsapp” as well as put a tick, and then press “Backup” below.

Whatsapp_Backup.jpg

Whatsapp_Archived.jpg

Whatsapp_send_app.jpg

Whatsapp_Email_Eng.jpg

Then do the same for the other application "Whatsapp" and thus two E-mails are sent that you will receive later from the tablet.

Make sure to activate the option "install from unknown sources" from the Android security settings (look around for this option because it is misplaced in different versions of Android).
Open the first E-mail sent earlier from Mobile and download the attached file which is an installation file with extension "apk". Open to install the application "GO Contacts EX" on the tablet.
After that open the other E-mail that contains whatsapp application in the attachment and open it to install Whatsapp on the tablet.

Notes:

• When you open Whatsapp, a mobile number is required to activate it and it will check the number with an SMS message or a phone call. You can also use a landline number and complete the number of digits with zeros after the number and use a phone call verification.
  • Contacts management is made through "GO Contact EX". A new name can be added to Whatsapp by sending a message to a contact from the contacts manager.
  • We used "GO Contact EX" application to synchronize contacts with Whatsapp and if it was not accepted by your mobile phone, you can use any application that manages contacts such as "Xphone Free".

Osama Fathi Alborbar
Gaza Strip​

Thanks

Reactions: osabor

bnmhbnmh

Apr 5, 2009
I tried to install Whatsapp on two different tablets on the same day,
the older one succeed (without any contact manager), android 4.0.3
but the newer one with dual core and higher resolution failed, android 4.11.
Is there anything to do with the android version?

ghpk

Dec 29, 2010
India
As this thread reads perfect for the Purpose of running WhatsApp on Android Wifi Tablets which Do Not Have SIM/Calling Facility
and device is not letting them install whatsapp even from APK, I am Adding my working method.

This method requires Root Access, so the phone must be *Rooted*
Use it on your own risk, I am not expert/developer who could fix your mess if you wrongly handled system files. :p

I Own a Micromax Funbook P300 but this should work fine with most tablets which are SIM Less and uses wifi for connectivity.

1). Install build.prop editor from Playstore, better if you have skype installed too, helps in contact management.
2). Make a Backup of your existing "build.prop" file from "/system/" folder.
above app backs up, but its better to have your own copy, try using Es File Explorer with root permission to backup.
3). copy whatsApp Installation APK from a phone using Appsaver
4). Open the App. Build.prop Editor from App list and allow it root access.
5). Navigate to line which reads as "ro.product.maufacturer" it would intially be your name of Tab you are having
change this name to "samsung"
6). Scroll down where the line reads "ro.product.model" change this to "GT-I9100"
7). Scroll down where the line reads "ro.product.brand" and change this name to "samsung"
8). Follow this if above fails" Scroll down where the line reads "ro.telephony.check.sim" and change this to "0" (Zero)

Save and exit, Reboot Your Tablet.

Once boot up is completed, Make sure you have allowed installation of "Non-Market APK" from settings-->Security
and install the Whatsapp APK.
It will get installed without a error.
Once Installation is completed open Whatsapp and agree to terms and input a phone number of yours where you can either recieve a call
or the SMS, wait for SMS on the provided number else, let the application ask you to do phone verification,
If this choose SMS verification, most probably you'll get a SMS from +44 number and few moments later a screen on your Tablet to input the Verification code which is already sent by SMS
If you choose Phone call verification you have to hear and type the code for activation.

Once activated, you can ask a friend to send you a msg using Whatsapp and you are good to go.

for more advanced users, If you have skype installed, mostly you would get "Add a contact" option with ability to create the contact Using your "Gmail" account and you can save the persons name who sent you the Message on Whatsapp.

If you have skype installed(need not be running) You can also create a new contact from whatsapp main screen, options, contacts, and "Add contact Icon of the page"

Enjoy the Whatsapp on Bigger Screen of your TAB using wifi........

however playstore may not list this in "My App" tab, and you might not be able to use whatsapp widget.

Few screenshots

38QzPgF.png

Fiog1XP.png

GJFAO0U.png

pPshUfi.png

71pb9N2.png

IYpt6IR.png

oDYeAQ1.png

I38jea5.png

Last edited:

seb7o

Feb 18, 2012
what about using whatsapp with the same phonenumber on android mobile phone and android tablet on the same time, or like this: one is disabled when the other works. is it possible or do we have to get another number to register with?

is it even possible to merge several whatsapp contacts to one, so when a message will be sent, it's send it to all of the devices of that contact?
could someone explain how it works, like server-client-requests etc would be nice if someone could give some info.

thanks for the thread and the tutorial(s)

Reactions: SBQE2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements:

Method:

Whatsapp_Backup.jpg

Whatsapp_Archived.jpg

Whatsapp_send_app.jpg

Whatsapp_Email_Eng.jpg

Notes:

Osama Fathi Alborbar
    Gaza Strip​
    As this thread reads perfect for the Purpose of running WhatsApp on Android Wifi Tablets which Do Not Have SIM/Calling Facility
    and device is not letting them install whatsapp even from APK, I am Adding my working method.

This method requires Root Access, so the phone must be *Rooted*
    Use it on your own risk, I am not expert/developer who could fix your mess if you wrongly handled system files. :p

I Own a Micromax Funbook P300 but this should work fine with most tablets which are SIM Less and uses wifi for connectivity.

1). Install build.prop editor from Playstore, better if you have skype installed too, helps in contact management.
    2). Make a Backup of your existing "build.prop" file from "/system/" folder.
    above app backs up, but its better to have your own copy, try using Es File Explorer with root permission to backup.
    3). copy whatsApp Installation APK from a phone using Appsaver
    4). Open the App. Build.prop Editor from App list and allow it root access.
    5). Navigate to line which reads as "ro.product.maufacturer" it would intially be your name of Tab you are having
    change this name to "samsung"
    6). Scroll down where the line reads "ro.product.model" change this to "GT-I9100"
    7). Scroll down where the line reads "ro.product.brand" and change this name to "samsung"
    8). Follow this if above fails" Scroll down where the line reads "ro.telephony.check.sim" and change this to "0" (Zero)

Save and exit, Reboot Your Tablet.

Once boot up is completed, Make sure you have allowed installation of "Non-Market APK" from settings-->Security
    and install the Whatsapp APK.
    It will get installed without a error.
    Once Installation is completed open Whatsapp and agree to terms and input a phone number of yours where you can either recieve a call
    or the SMS, wait for SMS on the provided number else, let the application ask you to do phone verification,
    If this choose SMS verification, most probably you'll get a SMS from +44 number and few moments later a screen on your Tablet to input the Verification code which is already sent by SMS
    If you choose Phone call verification you have to hear and type the code for activation.

Once activated, you can ask a friend to send you a msg using Whatsapp and you are good to go.

for more advanced users, If you have skype installed, mostly you would get "Add a contact" option with ability to create the contact Using your "Gmail" account and you can save the persons name who sent you the Message on Whatsapp.

If you have skype installed(need not be running) You can also create a new contact from whatsapp main screen, options, contacts, and "Add contact Icon of the page"

Enjoy the Whatsapp on Bigger Screen of your TAB using wifi........

however playstore may not list this in "My App" tab, and you might not be able to use whatsapp widget.

Few screenshots

38QzPgF.png

Fiog1XP.png

GJFAO0U.png

pPshUfi.png

71pb9N2.png

IYpt6IR.png

oDYeAQ1.png

I38jea5.png
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I try it, and it doesn't work!! When I use AppGuard and I open whatsapp, It asks me the code, but the verification give me an error: "your version may be modified"

It didn't work for me either. Appgaurd was unable to re install Whatsapp after uninstall.

Apparently, this method is working for some people.

No harm from trying it.
    i read in other blog this: "this metod doesn't work on Nexus 7"

whatsapp has the inteligent to identify the Nexus 7 (and some others) as tablet... :(