How to send/ write Canbus messages directly from HU

Search This thread

Timpuli

Mar 15, 2009
Does anybody know is it possible to send/ write Canbus messages to the car directly from the Android head unit? And if it is, how to do that?

I have HU MTCE_PX30_MX and some Canbus messages are already sent to the car, so it is possible, I know. But is there any way to sent some specific messages only..?

Last edited:

herb77

Apr 10, 2017
I think for this you should have a look at MTCCanBus.apk. At some point, a serial connection is opened which seems to be responsible for receiving / sendings CAN Messages. I don't know if the connection goes directly to the CAN-Box, if it is a virtual port that simply sends data to an other software layer or if it goes anywhere else...
This is probably a good starting point.

Timpuli

Mar 15, 2009
I think for this you should have a look at MTCCanBus.apk. At some point, a serial connection is opened which seems to be responsible for receiving / sendings CAN Messages. I don't know if the connection goes directly to the CAN-Box, if it is a virtual port that simply sends data to an other software layer or if it goes anywhere else...
This is probably a good starting point.

Thank you for the hint, I will look at it.
Actually I have already "decompiled" HCTCanBus.apk (I guess that this is right apk for MTCE units?) but I have to look it more closely. I am not so familiar with coding... :(

darkspr1te

Sep 24, 2012
While a old thread I though I would at least now provide a Answer,
See my github for example code to talk to the CANBOX via the OS and via android calls using the existing mtccanbus.apk and such , Alas i dont know java so cannot help you there , all my work is within the CANBOS unit so far.

Canbus and services
Darkspr1te

Reactions: marchnz

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    @darkspr1te thank you. This is really useful. All I need to do is catch one MTC canbus intent into my app and get it to work, like one of the TPMS tire pressure intents for example. If I can make it work for one, I can make it work for many intents. I have a project that I'm working on and your code will definitely prove helpful :)!

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    I downloaded @darkspr1te code and encountered some problems compiling that I haven't completely sorted out yet. Thing is that I've been quite busy with other priorities lately but I still want to pursue developing my app.

@darkspr1te did not provide any build/compile notes about the development environment used to develop the code. I'm using the latest version of Android Studio and just working through each issue one at a time. Wish @darkspr1te had used gradle as it would make setting up the build environment much easier :).

darkspr1te

Sep 24, 2012
    The code i mentioned is not mine(as mentioned in the post too) , if you want a gradle based then see CANBUS app which is by another author. My current code is what runs on the actual canbus device (raise etc) , I have not produced any android code myself just the MCU code.

jlbooth

• Feb 5, 2013
    OnePlus 6T
    @darkspr1te thank you for the suggestions. I guess my referring to it as "your code" was mistaken, sorry about that. I pulled the code from your git repo and just misquoted the original source for the code.

Still regardless of the original author, I just wanted to get the code to compile and work. Maybe I can find the example(s) I needed from the other suggested resources.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I downloaded @darkspr1te code and encountered some problems compiling that I haven't completely sorted out yet. Thing is that I've been quite busy with other priorities lately but I still want to pursue developing my app.

@darkspr1te did not provide any build/compile notes about the development environment used to develop the code. I'm using the latest version of Android Studio and just working through each issue one at a time. Wish @darkspr1te had used gradle as it would make setting up the build environment much easier :).
      The code i mentioned is not mine(as mentioned in the post too) , if you want a gradle based then see CANBUS app which is by another author. My current code is what runs on the actual canbus device (raise etc) , I have not produced any android code myself just the MCU code.
      Also see this thread for further info on the headunit to canbus protocol CANBUS protocol
      While a old thread I though I would at least now provide a Answer,
      See my github for example code to talk to the CANBOX via the OS and via android calls using the existing mtccanbus.apk and such , Alas i dont know java so cannot help you there , all my work is within the CANBOS unit so far.

Canbus and services
      Darkspr1te
      @darkspr1te thank you. This is really useful. All I need to do is catch one MTC canbus intent into my app and get it to work, like one of the TPMS tire pressure intents for example. If I can make it work for one, I can make it work for many intents. I have a project that I'm working on and your code will definitely prove helpful :)!

Also see this thread for further info on the headunit to canbus protocol CANBUS protocol
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone