[How-To] Sideload the 5.0 OTA

Search This thread

masterjeff

Feb 4, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I feel there is a lack of information on exactly how to go about doing this, so here is what worked for me:

1. Determine your build version, I started from NCE. You have to be on 4.4.4 to update to 5.0. You can find the OTA files for this in this thread. Install them in order if needed. (Steps 4-8).
2. Get the 5.0 update zip from this thread
3. Ensure you have the latest platform tools. Use the SDK Manager.
4. Reboot into recovery (Hold power, volume up, and home button).
5. Select install from adb in recovery
6. open a terminal in the directory where the OTA zip is located.
7. enter adb sideload <file name here>
8. let it complete, then reboot.

If you get an adb cannot read error, ensure you've followed step 3.

**NOTE** This is for stock devices only, and I've only tested this from STOCK recovery. I have NO idea what effect this has on root, but general intuition says you'll lose it.

ThuGzta

Jan 20, 2014
I am curretnly on NG3 (4.4.2), it seems I cannot get any OTA. Keeps saying its interrupted. Do I need to update to 4.4.4 then use this method to get lollipop on the device?

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Is there I way I can flash the update with Odin? I'd rather not lose any data. I'm on 4.4.4 Rooted.

Read this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=59994426

Notes from Note 4

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I am curretnly on NG3 (4.4.2), it seems I cannot get any OTA. Keeps saying its interrupted. Do I need to update to 4.4.4 then use this method to get lollipop on the device?

Yes you need to be on 4.4.4 before updating to 5.0

Notes from Note 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I feel there is a lack of information on exactly how to go about doing this, so here is what worked for me:

1. Determine your build version, I started from NCE. You have to be on 4.4.4 to update to 5.0. You can find the OTA files for this in this thread. Install them in order if needed. (Steps 4-8).
    2. Get the 5.0 update zip from this thread
    3. Ensure you have the latest platform tools. Use the SDK Manager.
    4. Reboot into recovery (Hold power, volume up, and home button).
    5. Select install from adb in recovery
    6. open a terminal in the directory where the OTA zip is located.
    7. enter adb sideload <file name here>
    8. let it complete, then reboot.

If you get an adb cannot read error, ensure you've followed step 3.

**NOTE** This is for stock devices only, and I've only tested this from STOCK recovery. I have NO idea what effect this has on root, but general intuition says you'll lose it.
    Is there I way I can flash the update with Odin? I'd rather not lose any data. I'm on 4.4.4 Rooted.

Read this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=59994426

Notes from Note 4

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Yes you need to be on 4.4.4 before updating to 5.0

Notes from Note 4
    Does this wipe everything?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Free mobile app

Did not wipe apps data but wipe some personal data.

Notes from Note 4