how to stop System out of date update pop-up

Search This thread

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Hey guys, I've disabled update notifications through play store and I've disabled auto update system under developer settings as well but this keeps popping up every now and then and I can't figure out to block it. I'm rooted on August 2019 pie build. I've searched the services for play services and play store and can't find anything related to what this update might be from.

I've searched around Google and XDA and haven't found anything regarding this specific pop-up. Anyone have any info?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223-174403.png
    Screenshot_20191223-174403.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 298

CruelSun

Dec 8, 2014
Lawn-Gisland
Following..

I have same issue, but mine is more out-of-date than yours! [emoji16]

Hopefully we'll get some answer here, I have not been able to prioritize this issue in normal life, and this holiday season is not giving me any more time for sure...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: KUSOsan

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
@CruelSun

The annoying part is it doesn't pop up as a notification or an app that would show up in overview mode otherwise I could just long press on it and figure out what process it's coming from. I gotta figure it's from one of the play services but there's so many different ones and nothing I've seen really stands out like updater or anything like that.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Just letting you know, if it pops up & you accidentally hit the update button, turn off wifi & data, then clear the cache/storage on Google Play Services to stop the update.

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Hey guys, I've disabled update notifications through play store and I've disabled auto update system under developer settings as well but this keeps popping up every now and then and I can't figure out to block it. I'm rooted on August 2019 pie build. I've searched the services for play services and play store and can't find anything related to what this update might be from.

I've searched around Google and XDA and haven't found anything regarding this specific pop-up. Anyone have any info?

I think the process is android system, notification section, it should be listed as download or update or very similar, just turn it off.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
I think the process is android system, notification section, it should be listed as download or update or very similar, just turn it off.
Looks like your right. ? Appreciate it. Any idea how to make it changeable? It's greyed out so I cant uncheck it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191230-103037.png
    Screenshot_20191230-103037.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 195

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Just found this command to try in another system update blocking thread. Trying it out now. Not sure how often the pop-up appears but I usually see it about twice a week

pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.phone.PopupDialog

I haven't seen any negative side effects to using this yet but if someone thinks so please let me know.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
If your rooted you can always delete updater apk in system app or priv app
There is nothing with update or updater listed that I can delete when I use titanium. I think Google combined it with play services.
Any idea where it would be located for manual deletion? I've searched through both system and priv apps folders and found nothing that would indicate it is the system updater?

Vdex42

Apr 2, 2021
Does the "pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.phone.PopupDialog" need to be run on a rooted device?
I tried on my unrooted pixel 5, but get the following error. Unfortunately I can't root because of my banking apps.

Code:
adb shell pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.phone.PopupDialog

Exception occurred while executing 'disable':
java.lang.SecurityException: Shell cannot change component state for com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.phone.PopupDialog to 2
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:21042)

I found the answer myself. YES it needs root :cry:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Following..

I have same issue, but mine is more out-of-date than yours! [emoji16]

Hopefully we'll get some answer here, I have not been able to prioritize this issue in normal life, and this holiday season is not giving me any more time for sure...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Just letting you know, if it pops up & you accidentally hit the update button, turn off wifi & data, then clear the cache/storage on Google Play Services to stop the update.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone