how to stop the media scanning

Search This thread

riggnix

Jul 29, 2010
Graz
doesn't scan on JPH (froyo).
GUI opens, says "Scanning" but nothing happens. It doesn't ask for root permissions either.

Sushil_jha

Sep 20, 2010
Hi Aditya,

can you share your source code with me? I need to stop the media scanner service from my application (java application). Or can you tell me the code that i sould write to make it happen..

mizius

Jan 24, 2011
So when I run Rescan Media Root it asks for SU, gets it, starts scanning but never ends :confused:. Any suggestions?

mizius

Jan 24, 2011
So when I run Rescan Media Root, it asks for SU, gets it, starts media scan but never ends :confused:. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Wonder why this media scan toggle app is disabling my ability to view pictures in gallery as well as the music player not showing any songs at all, even my mp3 ringtone in the music player is no longer playing and no longer an option under settings>sounds>ringtones ?

In other words, I thought that this app only stopped scanning/rescanning of media which would be GREAT but it not only stops the scanning, it also disables me from viewing any pictures in gallery and disables me from playing songs in Music Player and to top it off it also disables my mp3 ringtones when the phone is sopposed to ring.

(so with this app enabled my phone does not ring unless I select a built-in ringtone)

Perhaps I am doing something wrong or I just don't understand what this app is really intended for?

HELP! (I do want the media scanner not to scan unless I turn it on)
BUT I do want to be able to use mp3 song ringtones and want music player to play my mp3 songs and I do want to view all my pictures in the Gallery.

If I NEVER restart the phone this "rescan Media" media scanner app works as advertised

but after rebooting the phone it not only disables the media scanner but it also prevents me from viewing any pictures or videos in the gallery plus in Music Player no songs show up at all........

My phone is a Samsung Captivate using Froyo 2.2 firmware.
Thanks!

mizius

Jan 24, 2011
@Misterjunky - The reason for this as far as I understand is that when you reset the phone then Android wipes out something called media library and that is where all that info is held. That library does not get recreated until media scan is run.

Jumba

Nov 16, 2008
Johannesburg
Wonder why this media scan toggle app is disabling my ability to view pictures in gallery as well as the music player not showing any songs at all, even my mp3 ringtone in the music player is no longer playing and no longer an option under settings>sounds>ringtones ?

In other words, I thought that this app only stopped scanning/rescanning of media which would be GREAT but it not only stops the scanning, it also disables me from viewing any pictures in gallery and disables me from playing songs in Music Player and to top it off it also disables my mp3 ringtones when the phone is sopposed to ring.

(so with this app enabled my phone does not ring unless I select a built-in ringtone)

Perhaps I am doing something wrong or I just don't understand what this app is really intended for?

HELP! (I do want the media scanner not to scan unless I turn it on)
BUT I do want to be able to use mp3 song ringtones and want music player to play my mp3 songs and I do want to view all my pictures in the Gallery.

If I NEVER restart the phone this "rescan Media" media scanner app works as advertised

but after rebooting the phone it not only disables the media scanner but it also prevents me from viewing any pictures or videos in the gallery plus in Music Player no songs show up at all........

My phone is a Samsung Captivate using Froyo 2.2 firmware.
Thanks!

Just run it once after booting. That's normal behaviour.

Mjuksel

Jan 2, 2011
www.mjxl.net
yes i just tried something, connect your phone as USB Storage

place a new file on there called .nomedia

reboot, it should now not scan for media :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

1st post. Keep it easy on me ya?

Below are the requirements needed before you can disable Media Scanning for good.

1) Rooted Galaxy S
    2) Startup Manager (free in Marketplace)

Steps:

1) Startup Startup Manager
    2) Goto System tab
    3) Uncheck Media Storage
    4) Reboot
    5) And it will never bother you again :D

This method works too when you plug and unplug the USB cable + the annoying scan on bootup.

For the bad news :(

Default Music Player will NOT be able to recognise additional new files (MP3 etc) after adding it.

Workaround for this is to reboot the phone and it will recognise it again. I presume software that depend on the Media Storage for creating paylists are prone to this issue.

For the good news :)

Get another music player in the Marketplace which allows you to manually scan create playlists should be fine.
    YES I HAVE DONE IT.

I CAME, I SAW, I HIT HIM RIGHT THERE IN THE JAW!!!! *WOOT WOOT*

Uninstall the older Rescan Media
    Search for Aditya in the market.
    Then Rescan Media ROOT.

I require ROOT privileges to restart services and processes.:confused:

Open the app and allow root privileges(I promise there is nothing bad going on).***Read more on what goes on behind the scenes.

To kill the service after you are done click on kill service.
    To restart the service click restart service.
    To quit click exit.

***Read what goes on behind the scenes
    I execute
    Code:
    "pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver"

and 

"pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver"

If you are afraid, drop to a shell and type
    Code:
    su

pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

It has the same effect of starting and stopping the service.
    If you want a media scanner, search the market for Aditya

I have made a media refresh app.

It's called Rescan Media

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-addz-mediascanner-jtDAw.aspx