How to STOP the Sprint update notification [GUIDE & VIDEO]

Search This thread

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
You can follow this guide to stop the Sprint update notification using the latest version of ES File explorer. This instruction is for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy note II. This is known to work on other Samsung devices as well. This guide will begin from scratch so that anyone can follow it from square one. If you already have root and ES File Explorer set up you can skip to step 7

See a video demonstration here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifG5iPSFuCE

1. First be sure you have superuser access (root access). You can use a root checker like this one to be sure
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&hl=en
2. Download and install ES File explorer. You can get that here...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en
3. Open ES File explorer and grant root permission. Go into settings and set your preferences
4. Tap your device menu
5. Tap Tools
6. Tap root explorer.
7. The root explorer menu will pop up and you'll tap Mount R/W
8. Fill in all the bubbles for RW and tap OK
9. Navigate to the root of your device (At the Top you'll see the root directory is listed as "Device" or "/")
10. Tap the File named "etc"
11. Tap the File named "security"
12. Long press on the otacerts.zip until the check box appears and put a check in it.
13. Tap more
14. Tap properties
15. Place check marks in the read and write boxes and Tap ok
16. Tap rename (on the bottom action bar)
17. Rename the otacerts.zip file to otacerts.bak and tap ok
18. Tap refresh (bottom action bar)
19. Pull down the notification curtain and accept the update. *Some devices reboot here. (if the notice isn't in your notification bar just go on to the next step)
20. On your homescreen open your device menu and Tap system settings.
21. Scroll to and select System update.
22. Tap Update firmware.

Your device will say it is up to date and you won't get the notification anymore. If you do then reboot and start over because you skipped something.

If this helped you feel free to click the "thanks" button.

Last edited:

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
There's easier way just freeze updater
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

About that... I do appreciate your comment but I wanted to make a guide (and video) to help the most people. I felt like giving a free option here would be the best way to go.

I know there are apps that can freeze the updater but I didn't want to get into a comparison of the apps that may do it or provide instruction for every single one of them. Also there have been reports that freezing the updater didn't work or caused other issues. The solution I provided will work on the Sprint SGN2 (and other Samsung devices) and only requires ES File Explorer which I feel very comfortable recommending and is free.

I would like to consider all the options, though. So, going forward if we're going to recommend alternative solutions I think it would be best if a guide (or a link to a guide or video) would also be posted with it...or at least some detailed instructions. This way the most people will get the most out of it.

Last edited:

timezone12

Feb 27, 2010
just got my sprint note 2 last night its on 4.12 followed the vid and was ok for about 1 hour now i'm getting a thing for a 28.9 mb system update. how big is the 4.3? is it safe to take this little one? and I am rooted at this point thanks

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
just got my sprint note 2 last night its on 4.12 followed the vid and was ok for about 1 hour now i'm getting a thing for a 28.9 mb system update. how big is the 4.3? is it safe to take this little one? and I am rooted at this point thanks

The update notice you're seeing now is minor. It contains a security enhancement and nothing else worth mentioning. You needn't worry about it.

On a side note if you want 4.3 and don't want to wait for the OTA update you can get it here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2541395
Cheers to lorjay589 for doing the heavy lifting.

regards

Reactions: timezone12

ArtooDetoo

Apr 23, 2013
Santee, CA
You can follow this guide to stop the Sprint update notification using the latest version of ES File explorer. This instruction is for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy note II. This is known to work on other Samsung devices as well. This guide will begin from scratch so that anyone can follow it from square one. If you already have root and ES File Explorer set up you can skip to step 7

1. First be sure you have superuser access (root access). You can use a root checker like this one to be sure
3. Open ES File explorer and grant root permission. Go into settings and set your preferences
4. Tap your device menu
5. Tap Tools
6. Tap root explorer.
9. Navigate to the root of your device (At the Top you'll see the root directory is listed as "Device" or "/")
12. Long press on the otacerts.zip until the check box appears and put a check in it.
13. Tap more
14. Tap properties
19. Pull down the notification curtain and accept the update (if this isn't in your notification bar just go on to the next step)
22. Tap Update firmware.

Your device will say it is up to date and you won't get the notification anymore. If you do then reboot and start over because you skipped something.

Did exactly as described following the YouTube Video. Restarted and got the update notification. It did not work.

Reactions: oldretiredman

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
Did exactly as described following the YouTube Video. Restarted and got the update notification. It did not work.

I don't want to seem contentious but you must have missed something in the process. This process is tried and true and has worked for tens of thousands of people so you most likely missed some minor thing. At any rate, when done exactly right it works.

I would suggest that you first make sure you're rooted and if so make sure that you've granted root to ES File explorer. Next make sure the otacerts.zip file has retained the name change to otacerts.bak and if it didn't then you've got permissions problems. Next in ES make sure root explorer has RW selected on each item. Make sure the icon for the otacerts file looks like a question mark (if it looks like a zip start over).

The best thing to do is just repeat the process. Take it slow and don't get frustrated. If you'd like to make a video of you going through the process I can look at it and tell you what you're missing.

ArtooDetoo

Apr 23, 2013
Santee, CA
I don't want to seem contentious but you must have missed something in the process. This process is tried and true and has worked for tens of thousands of people so you most likely missed some minor thing. At any rate, when done exactly right it works.

I would suggest that you first make sure you're rooted and if so make sure that you've granted root to ES File explorer. Next make sure the otacerts.zip file has retained the name change to otacerts.bak and if it didn't then you've got permissions problems. Next in ES make sure root explorer has RW selected on each item. Make sure the icon for the otacerts file looks like a question mark (if it looks like a zip start over).

The best thing to do is just repeat the process. Take it slow and don't get frustrated. If you'd like to make a video of you going through the process I can look at it and tell you what you're missing.

All of the things you mentioned I did. I am running a stock rom and am rooted. That being said, I may have posted too quickly before. After performing the tasks that you outlined very clearly, the notification returned upon reboot. I slid it away and it has not returned. So, I humbly withdraw my previous post.

Last edited:
Reactions: chzeckmate

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
All of the things you mentioned I did. I am rooted running a stock rom and am rooted. That being said, I may have posted too quickly before. After performing the tasks that you outlined very clearly, the notification returned upon reboot. I slid it away and it has not returned. So, I humbly withdraw my previous post.

If you wanna test to see if it comes back you could reboot again. If it doesn't come back after a reboot then you're all set. Let us know how it goes.

best regards

chzeckmate

Dec 9, 2010
Houston
thisdidn't work on my note that 2 it's pushing the system 4. 3 the update. .. thoughts

I would suggest going through the process again. It's very easy to miss some small step in the process. Be sure you're rooted, make sure you've granted root to ES File explorer, make sure you have Root Explorer turned ON, make sure you have rw selected for all four selections under the Mount R/W menu, and make sure your name change of the otacerts.zip file sticks, make sure that the otacerts.bak file looks like a question mark and not a zip, and remember to refresh. Those are the most common things people overlook when running through this process.

Watch the video and follow precisely. Take it slow and don't let the video get ahead of you. I go really fast through it in the video so the pause button will be your friend. You'll get it don't worry.

Reactions: treo4life

treo4life

Dec 27, 2007
Atlanta, Ga.
I would suggest going through the process again. It's very easy to miss some small step in the process. Be sure you're rooted, make sure you've granted root to ES File explorer, make sure you have Root Explorer turned ON, make sure you have rw selected for all four selections under the Mount R/W menu, and make sure your name change of the otacerts.zip file sticks, make sure that the otacerts.bak file looks like a question mark and not a zip, and remember to refresh. Those are the most common things people overlook when running through this process.

Watch the video and follow precisely. Take it slow and don't let the video get ahead of you. I go really fast through it in the video so the pause button will be your friend. You'll get it don't worry.

I got it figured out, had to click on the update. .

Reactions: chzeckmate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. Tap your device menu
    5. Tap Tools
    6. Tap root explorer.
    13. Tap more
    14. Tap properties
    19. Pull down the notification curtain and accept the update. *Some devices reboot here. (if the notice isn't in your notification bar just go on to the next step)
    22. Tap Update firmware.

There's easier way just freeze updater
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

About that... I do appreciate your comment but I wanted to make a guide (and video) to help the most people. I felt like giving a free option here would be the best way to go.

I know there are apps that can freeze the updater but I didn't want to get into a comparison of the apps that may do it or provide instruction for every single one of them. Also there have been reports that freezing the updater didn't work or caused other issues. The solution I provided will work on the Sprint SGN2 (and other Samsung devices) and only requires ES File Explorer which I feel very comfortable recommending and is free.

I would like to consider all the options, though. So, going forward if we're going to recommend alternative solutions I think it would be best if a guide (or a link to a guide or video) would also be posted with it...or at least some detailed instructions. This way the most people will get the most out of it.
    Space reserved
    You say to "accept update." Is that the 4.3 update we are supposed to accept?

treo4life is correct. After you taking the update the device will reboot (but the update fails because you have to be on stock recovery to accept OTA's). In some cases you need to manually reboot as g_money did. Then you can tap Update Firmware to see the message 'Your system is up to date.' You won't see the notice again.
    Followed the instructions. Attached is proof of the renamed file. Despite this the update prompt still appears.

You say to "accept update." Is that the 4.3 update we are supposed to accept?

Also in the video you show checking for firmware updates but these are Samsung Software Updates at least I'm trying to block. Not sure if that makes any difference but am sure we're talking about the same thing.

that's correct. click on the update. it will stop after that..

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I did read through the thread, and was confused about ur file system issues? Watched ur vid, at the end, I ran the update from the notification. I didn't run it like u did. Don't think that u ran the update?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

If I'm getting what happened correctly, I ran the update. I did not get an update failed error. My cell simply restarted. Had to reboot to system (from inside twrp). Then went into system update (only as proof that my system was up to date, even though I'm on MD4)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

you should be good now, no more pop ups..
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone