How to stop YouTube app opening links?

Search This thread

g-de

Oct 3, 2022
I recently updated to android 12 and accidentally updated the youtube app. Since then, opening youtube links from apps will open them in the default YouTube app which I don't want.

I looked in the settings to disable the app but the disable button is greyed out. I looked at the default links, which confusingly says it has no default links, then has links selected when you open the menu. I tried unchecking the box but that is disabled.

My phone is rooted so my next thought was to try uninstalling through titanium backup but this failed because the apk isn't available. The recovery exploit uninstall method failed for the same reason.

Any ideas on how to do this? I'm not bothered if the app is still installed, I just want control of how youtube links are handled.

Thanks in advance.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I recently updated to android 12 and accidentally updated the youtube app. Since then, opening youtube links from apps will open them in the default YouTube app which I don't want.

I looked in the settings to disable the app but the disable button is greyed out. I looked at the default links, which confusingly says it has no default links, then has links selected when you open the menu. I tried unchecking the box but that is disabled.

My phone is rooted so my next thought was to try uninstalling through titanium backup but this failed because the apk isn't available. The recovery exploit uninstall method failed for the same reason.

Any ideas on how to do this? I'm not bothered if the app is still installed, I just want control of how youtube links are handled.

Thanks in advance.
Use a root browser to remove the apk from your system/app or system/priv-app folder.

teknixstuff

Oct 2, 2022

Thanks in advance.
You might have luck by opening a root shell (use 'su' in termux), and then running 'pm disable-user --user 0 com.google.android.youtube', however this will disable the YouTube app entirely.