How to successfully install AT&T Dev rom to AT&T branded phone!

Search This thread

paulday

Aug 23, 2013
I have successfully installed the AT&T Amber Developer rom to a brand new Locked Black AT&T branded phone just delivered this morning from AT&T. I had to go with AT&T to make sure that I got model rm-820 to ensure complete compatibility with 4G/Edge. The phone is locked, but I'm waiting for an email from AT&T to unlock it.

Here's how I got it done, just took some time and a lot of patience. As a bonus, I also got internet sharing working, without calling 611 and having tethering turned on, here in the NE USA, on AT&T's network.

Please remember that this is for a BLACK phone. Adjust for different colors if possible.

Download and install the latest version of NCS.

Download Navifirm+ v2.3 here: http://www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx. No need to install, just run it when you need it to download the rom.

I only downloaded two roms:

Rom 1

The first one was the pre-portico Rogers rom. I downloaded the needed files from here: http://wp.it168.com/thread-217624-1-1.html
Download the files under this heading "059Q6W4: RM-820_Rogers_Canada_VAR240202_v2_Black" by right clicking each one and saving to C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820. Remove the check-sum numbers from the front of each file name when the downloads are complete.

Rom 2

Use Navifirm, or any of the other means, to download rom 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEVICE BLK. Copy the downloaded files to C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821.

Flashing the roms

Start NCS and open product rm-820. Select Rom code 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002. That should be the only one there. Click the start button to flash the rom to the phone. Ignore the warning about it not being the correct rom.

When flashing is complete, setup the phone just enough to get to the settings. Connect to your WIFI. In settings, go to Phone Update and click on Check for Updates. Keep tapping on the phone to keep it awake though out this procedure. The phone will take forever to find, download and install the first update. When completed and the phone is reset and on, set WIFI and check for updates again. Follow the same procedure until you are told that there are no more updates. I believe that it was 3 updates, maybe 4. Be sure that your WIFI is enabled each time to prevent failure of an update.

Go to NCS and open product rm-821. Select Rom code 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEV... Version 3047.0000.1326.20... That should be the only one there. Click the start button to flash the rom to the phone. Ignore the warning about it not being the correct rom.

Enable internet sharing

When the installation is complete, setup the basics of the phone. Enable WIFI. Go to Setting/Access Point and select AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia.
Go to Settings/Keyboard. I kept the English keyboard and removed the French keyboard. Click on add keyboards and select Spanish (Spain).
Turn off your phone. Turn on your phone and go to Settings/Phone Updates and check for updates. Once the Spanish keyboard is installed, turn off the phone and then turn it back on. No need to do a reset.
When the phone is back on and up fully, go to Settings/Internet Sharing and turn it on. You'll see a screen stating "Sharing your cellular data connection over WIFI... a Broadcast name and password lines. Already had two tablets going thru it as a test. Worked great. Also, go to Settings/Speech and select the language you want spoken to you.

Hope this helps everyone out. I didn't include how to use NCS, feel free to add that if someone wants to.

PS The AT&T rom failure mismatch platform message, which has kept everyone from installing AT&T dev rom, or even own AT&T's rom, onto AT&T branded phones is misleading. What is being checked is the first section of the VERSION NUMBER. AT&T update needs to see at least version 3047.0000... (Amber) of the Rogers_Canada rom on the phone you're flashing the rom to in order to be successful. AT&T also checks a kernal version, which is the same for AT&T and Rogers roms.
By installing 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002, which is the only rom that will flash onto an AT&T branded phone, and updating, you're bring the phone version up to 3047.0000.... and now 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEV... Version 3047.0000.1326.20... will install successfully.

The phone is now working fully, without any issues that I've been able to uncover yet.

I welcome any and all comments.

Added observations:

To avoid connectivity issues flashing, be sure to use a 2.0 USB port, directly to your computer, NOT thru a USB hub. If you plug into some 3.0 USB ports or a USB hub (powered or not), NCS will see and read the phone, but will fail at flashing.

All files for a rom need to be kept in their separate directories for clean flashing! Best practice is to download the files to a directory named after the rom you're downloading. Rename the directory of the rom you want to burn to your model (rm-820 or rm-821) before starting NCS. I believe Navifirm+ v2.3 already handles downloads this way. Failure to do this can result in a goofy acting phone, missing/not working right features and other possible issues.

Last edited:

paulday

Aug 23, 2013
Why would you want to???

But can you go back to the stock at&t retail rom ?

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z

Sure! After flashing rom 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002, do NOT perform any updates.

Download rom 059L848 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Black and flash to the phone. This will install the current AT&T stock rom, Version 1232.5692.1314.0001, loaded with AT&T branded pay-for bloatware.

Now I have to ask, WHY would you want to run the branded, outdated firmware that is loaded with AT&T's pay-for bloatware, AND removes useful utilities that can help you potentially save money on AT&T's network? (Unless you're returning the phone to AT&T and you don't want them to know that you screwed with it.).

My wife has had her AT&T branded red 920 for about a week now, with the stock Version 1232... AT&T rom. I gave her my phone (AT&T branded black 920) that I've flashed to the Amber (Version 3042...) update, using the AT&T developers rom, to compare it to her phone. She played with the phone for about 1/2 an hour.

She said that she felt that the phone seemed to responded snapper under certain conditions, music in background, facebook running, and a game paused. She also liked having access to Data Sense. We have a shared 4 Gig plan and who ever goes over will have to come up with the extra cash, so she liked being able to view her usage in real time. She also really liked the Setting/Display and touch, which lets you double tap the screen to wakeup and displays the time while off. Also, having Setting/Internet sharing enabled (With Spanish (Spain) keyboard installed.), was a big hit with her. She'll be able to connect and use her WIFI table while on the road.

Needless to say, now she wants the Developers rom on her phone.:)

Last edited:

paulday

Aug 23, 2013
Nice. Thank you but I do have another question for the At&T Dev Rom. Do you know the code for Cyan AT&T color or should I use the black Dev Rom?

Thanks

I have only seen the AT&T developers rom for Black. I believe the only difference is what default color the tiles are (matches phone color) and what color the phone reports when plugged in.

Last edited:

Spectre51

I always want the ability yo go back to stock no matter what. Just a safety net for me I guess. Have you tested that method to go back to stock successfully? Just ask because it doesn't seem anyone else had found a successful method.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z

paulday

Aug 23, 2013
I always want the ability yo go back to stock no matter what. Just a safety net for me I guess. Have you tested that method to go back to stock successfully? Just ask because it doesn't seem anyone else had found a successful method.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z

Yes, you can, using the procedure explained in my last reply. And, yes, I was able to reload the stock (UGH) rom.

randy_c

Sep 18, 2008
denver
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sure! After flashing rom 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002, do NOT perform any updates.

Download rom 059L848 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Black and flash to the phone. This will install the current AT&T stock rom, Version 1232.5692.1314.0001, loaded with AT&T branded pay-for bloatware.

I wonder why so many having problem going back to AT&T stock ROM

paulday

Aug 23, 2013

I wonder why so many having problem going back to AT&T stock ROM

After installing Rogers Version 1232, even one update will prevent reloading stock AT&T rom. If you don't flash the stock rom immediately, you risk having the phone being updated automatically.

Last edited:

haramzee

May 26, 2009
Yes the OP says its possible to go back to the ATT stock rom. They say not to let the phone update once on the Rogers preportico rom. From there, flash back to the ATT rom. It's supposed to work every time.

Last edited:

JobuJones

Aug 12, 2011
The City
Returning to Stock

Once you have flashed the AT&T Developer ROM, is it possible to flash back to the Rogers Pre-Portico ROM to return to AT&T Stock?

Has anyone tested this?

Once you have flashed the AT&T Developer ROM, is it possible to flash back to the Rogers Pre-Portico ROM to return to AT&T Stock?

Has anyone tested this?

as explained in the posts above the answer is yes. You can go back to pre-portico Rogers and without running any OTA updates on the pre-portico Rogers (any updates will prevent you to flash to stock ATT) you can go back to stock ATT rom.

Reactions: boril

n7slc

Jul 21, 2010
Salt Lake City
When attempting to use NCS, I get the error, "Data package selection failed. Access is denied. Verify credentials."

I'm using 5.0.0 (2013.1.3) and I've moved the .cfg file to the appropriate location. Any ideas?

UPDATE - My problem was resolved by following the flashing procedure in this thread

I'm now running the AT&T GDR2 & Amber update - Thanks!

Last edited:

da1stprince

Jan 14, 2007
new york
as explained in the posts above the answer is yes. You can go back to pre-portico Rogers and without running any OTA updates on the pre-portico Rogers (any updates will prevent you to flash to stock ATT) you can go back to stock ATT rom.

I don't think this is accurate info, please correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to do OTA updates while in the pre portico rom in order to flash up to amber rom? I just successfully flashed a Rogers pre portico rom onto my att L920 and flashed back to my original stock rom because for some reason I couldn't flash the att amber dev rom (ID invalid errors) and the only reason I could think of as to why it wouldn't flash for me is because of a lack of OTA updates while in the rogers pre portico rom..

I don't think this is accurate info, please correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to do OTA updates while in the pre portico rom in order to flash up to amber rom? I just successfully flashed a Rogers pre portico rom onto my att L920 and flashed back to my original stock rom because for some reason I couldn't flash the att amber dev rom (ID invalid errors) and the only reason I could think of as to why it wouldn't flash for me is because of a lack of OTA updates while in the rogers pre portico rom..
My post was referring to go back to ATT stock rom once you have been to some Amber rom. You can only go back to stock ATT if you reflash with pre-portico Rogers and not have it do OTA. Once you get an OTA you cannot go back to stock ATT. You basically confirmed this. To go to Amber you have to do OTA on the pre portico Rogers.

da1stprince

Jan 14, 2007
new york
My post was referring to go back to ATT stock rom once you have been to some Amber rom. You can only go back to stock ATT if you reflash with pre-portico Rogers and not have it do OTA. Once you get an OTA you cannot go back to stock ATT. You basically confirmed this. To go to Amber you have to do OTA on the pre portico Rogers.

thanks for the confirmation, guess if I had to send this unit in for repair/replacement, I can flash the at&t dev rom and not have to worry about voiding any warranty

pmc64

Sep 9, 2013
I tried going back to the pre portico rom and all I get is an error 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device. I can flash to a french rom I found on wpc and the att dev rom but the not the pro portico rom. Can anyone help me out?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have successfully installed the AT&T Amber Developer rom to a brand new Locked Black AT&T branded phone just delivered this morning from AT&T. I had to go with AT&T to make sure that I got model rm-820 to ensure complete compatibility with 4G/Edge. The phone is locked, but I'm waiting for an email from AT&T to unlock it.

Here's how I got it done, just took some time and a lot of patience. As a bonus, I also got internet sharing working, without calling 611 and having tethering turned on, here in the NE USA, on AT&T's network.

Please remember that this is for a BLACK phone. Adjust for different colors if possible.

Download and install the latest version of NCS.

Download Navifirm+ v2.3 here: http://www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx. No need to install, just run it when you need it to download the rom.

I only downloaded two roms:

Rom 1

The first one was the pre-portico Rogers rom. I downloaded the needed files from here: http://wp.it168.com/thread-217624-1-1.html
    Download the files under this heading "059Q6W4: RM-820_Rogers_Canada_VAR240202_v2_Black" by right clicking each one and saving to C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820. Remove the check-sum numbers from the front of each file name when the downloads are complete.

Rom 2

Use Navifirm, or any of the other means, to download rom 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEVICE BLK. Copy the downloaded files to C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821.

Flashing the roms

Start NCS and open product rm-820. Select Rom code 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002. That should be the only one there. Click the start button to flash the rom to the phone. Ignore the warning about it not being the correct rom.

When flashing is complete, setup the phone just enough to get to the settings. Connect to your WIFI. In settings, go to Phone Update and click on Check for Updates. Keep tapping on the phone to keep it awake though out this procedure. The phone will take forever to find, download and install the first update. When completed and the phone is reset and on, set WIFI and check for updates again. Follow the same procedure until you are told that there are no more updates. I believe that it was 3 updates, maybe 4. Be sure that your WIFI is enabled each time to prevent failure of an update.

Go to NCS and open product rm-821. Select Rom code 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEV... Version 3047.0000.1326.20... That should be the only one there. Click the start button to flash the rom to the phone. Ignore the warning about it not being the correct rom.

Enable internet sharing

When the installation is complete, setup the basics of the phone. Enable WIFI. Go to Setting/Access Point and select AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia.
    Go to Settings/Keyboard. I kept the English keyboard and removed the French keyboard. Click on add keyboards and select Spanish (Spain).
    Turn off your phone. Turn on your phone and go to Settings/Phone Updates and check for updates. Once the Spanish keyboard is installed, turn off the phone and then turn it back on. No need to do a reset.
    When the phone is back on and up fully, go to Settings/Internet Sharing and turn it on. You'll see a screen stating "Sharing your cellular data connection over WIFI... a Broadcast name and password lines. Already had two tablets going thru it as a test. Worked great. Also, go to Settings/Speech and select the language you want spoken to you.

Hope this helps everyone out. I didn't include how to use NCS, feel free to add that if someone wants to.

PS The AT&T rom failure mismatch platform message, which has kept everyone from installing AT&T dev rom, or even own AT&T's rom, onto AT&T branded phones is misleading. What is being checked is the first section of the VERSION NUMBER. AT&T update needs to see at least version 3047.0000... (Amber) of the Rogers_Canada rom on the phone you're flashing the rom to in order to be successful. AT&T also checks a kernal version, which is the same for AT&T and Rogers roms.
    By installing 059Q6W4 RM-820_Rogers_Cana... Version 1232.2109.1242.1002, which is the only rom that will flash onto an AT&T branded phone, and updating, you're bring the phone version up to 3047.0000.... and now 059R2L5 RM-820 AT&T DEVELOPER DEV... Version 3047.0000.1326.20... will install successfully.

The phone is now working fully, without any issues that I've been able to uncover yet.

I welcome any and all comments.

Added observations:

To avoid connectivity issues flashing, be sure to use a 2.0 USB port, directly to your computer, NOT thru a USB hub. If you plug into some 3.0 USB ports or a USB hub (powered or not), NCS will see and read the phone, but will fail at flashing.

All files for a rom need to be kept in their separate directories for clean flashing! Best practice is to download the files to a directory named after the rom you're downloading. Rename the directory of the rom you want to burn to your model (rm-820 or rm-821) before starting NCS. I believe Navifirm+ v2.3 already handles downloads this way. Failure to do this can result in a goofy acting phone, missing/not working right features and other possible issues.

Has anyone tested this?

It Works

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has upgraded to Update 3 (GDR3) through Microsoft's Developer Program and is still able to tether for free? I'd like to upgrade but I don't want to lose my free tethering.

Just to let everyone know updating to Update 3 does not effect the ability to tether if it has already been enabled.