how to switch from super su to magisk?

Search This thread

sakumaxp

Aug 7, 2009
Hello, I am currently rooted on stock oos 4.0.3, with latest TWRP and super su free v2.79, can anyone help me out and tell me how to switch to magisk please, thank you!

Can I just use super su full unroot option then flash magisk?

Reactions: EsperanzaHz

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
This method did not work for me.
I am on KETAN n10 and initially, viper did not work. I installed magisk but that didn't fix it. nor the meefik busy box. So i decided to uninstall magisk and go back to superSU and it magically worked...

SourPower

Nov 21, 2014
East
I unrooted from SuperSU itself like shown on the app's forum I believe. It rebooted my phone, I went into recovery first and then just flashed the latest magisk and made the switch :laugh:

Reactions: thomasnsr

JG420

May 24, 2017
I unrooted from SuperSU itself like shown on the app's forum I believe. It rebooted my phone, I went into recovery first and then just flashed the latest magisk and made the switch :laugh:

So you just went into the SuperSU app and used the built in Unroot option, and when the phone rebooted, you went back into recovery and flashed the latest Magisk and did NOT flash a boot.img and everything worked fine? you have root with Magisk now instead of SU and you didnt get a bootloop at all??? (i really want to swap out SU for magisk in my sons LG G2, so he can play PoGo again lol) (His G2 is running CRdroid custom rom, I wonder if that effects the steps I'll need to take)
Can anyone offer me some guidance or assistance please and thank you?

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
So you just went into the SuperSU app and used the built in Unroot option, and when the phone rebooted, you went back into recovery and flashed the latest Magisk and did NOT flash a boot.img and everything worked fine? you have root with Magisk now instead of SU and you didnt get a bootloop at all??? (i really want to swap out SU for magisk in my sons LG G2, so he can play PoGo again lol) (His G2 is running CRdroid custom rom, I wonder if that effects the steps I'll need to take)

If there's a proper backup of the boot image for the SuperSU app's full unroot option to restore, then that process should work perfectly (I've done it on a few devices myself). It's when it can't properly restore the boot image you might have issues and you'll have to do it yourself.

Take a look in the Magisk Troubleshooting guide, under "Moving from another systemless root solution to MagiskSU".

Reactions: JG420

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
The nuclear method might be, to just flash the full stock OOS zip (can flash in TWRP) which will unroot and restore the boot.img (and everything else!). Then immediately flash Magisk before rebooting (so have the Magisk zip on the phone before updating). This should fully remove SuperSU, install Magisk, and keep TWRP on the phone.

Seeing as the original poster is still on OOS 4.0.3, you may want to update, anyway!

SourPower

Nov 21, 2014
East
I've done this on my 3t but I do have a G3 coincidentally lol, but yes I unrooted from su, it restarted my phone, before booting back into the system I went in twrp right away and then flashed magisk.

Reactions: JG420

hypothrax

May 8, 2006
Karachi
There are two options given in the SuperSU app, one is clean up to switch to a different SU app and the other is to permanently unroot. Which option is better?

Aneejian

Aug 26, 2017
www.aneejian.com
Use the full unroot option. Catch here is that you might get dm-verity warning. It won't affect the phone in anyway but Android Pay might not work and you will see the warning for 5 seconds, everytime you restart the phone.

chris8189

Jan 17, 2016
TCL 10 5G
Thanks so much for ths thread. I am on Resurrection Remix OS and inititally installed SuperSU over Magisk (which came with the ROM). I decided that I wanted to use Magisk instead and followed the instructions in this thread and it worked a treat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so flash unsu, then flash magisk. simple?

If you use the unSU script the process is:
    1. unSU
    2. stock boot image
    3. Magisk
    The nuclear method might be, to just flash the full stock OOS zip (can flash in TWRP) which will unroot and restore the boot.img (and everything else!). Then immediately flash Magisk before rebooting (so have the Magisk zip on the phone before updating). This should fully remove SuperSU, install Magisk, and keep TWRP on the phone.

Seeing as the original poster is still on OOS 4.0.3, you may want to update, anyway!
    Hello, I am currently rooted on stock oos 4.0.3, with latest TWRP and super su free v2.79, can anyone help me out and tell me how to switch to magisk please, thank you!

Can I just use super su full unroot option then flash magisk?
    Either reflash the original boot.img or download the unsu script from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63615067, then flash magisk again.