[HOW TO] Tether Blocking Fix

Search This thread
Ok here is an easy Step-By-Step. You will need to buy and download SQLite Editor from the play store ($2.99). I have tried a few different free editors and could not get any of them to work. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor&hl=en

I did not come up with this fix, I'm just detailing how to do it, with images. If anyone knows who is responsible for finding this fix, please let me know and I will add they're name here for credit.

Same always, I am not responsible for boot loops, bricking, overheating, tornados, flash floods, alien attacks, or angry girlfriends. Use at your own risk.

Step 1: Open the SQLite Editor app (approve root privileges) and navigate to "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/" and then click on the "settings.db" file

2013_11_26_13.11.10.jpg

Step 2: Click on "Global"

2013_11_26_13.11.30.jpg

Step 3: Click on the + icon in the upper left corner

2013_11_26_13.11.39.jpg

Step 4: Leave the _id field on (auto). In the Name field type "tether_dun_required". In the Value field type "0" (the number zero). Click SAVE.

2013_11_26_13.12.12.jpg

Now just back out of the SQLite Editor app and then reboot your phone!

Perhaps someone could sticky this for easy finding?

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Nice, but you don't identify what the problem is and how this fixes that problem. What is tether blocking? Is this something that the carrier imposes to restrict tethering?

On the nexus 5 alot of people on T-Mobile (sprint too I'm told) have trouble with the Wifi Tethering, either it doesn't work at all or it redirects you to the Up Sell Website to buy a tethering plan. From what I've read, Android flags all tethering data so that carriers can know you are trying to tether. This bypasses that issue and allows tethering to work. As I said though I did not come up with this fix myself, so maybe the person who did can enlighten us all a little better as to exactly what this fix does. All I know is that I could not get Wifi Tethering to work before I did this fix.

I do not know for sure that it masks tethering data, but I would assume it does since people were getting the upsell website before applying this fix, and then after this fix tethering works fine...

edit: I'm on the T-Mobile $30 a month plan (100 anytime minutes, unlimited Texting and unlimited Data)

Last edited:
After searching around on Google I found this information regarding the TETHER_DUN_REQUIRED string. http://www.androidjavadoc.com/2.3/android/provider/Settings.Secure.html

static String TETHER_DUN_REQUIRED
Used to require DUN APN on the device or not - defaults to a build config value which defaults to false

So it would appear that there is a special APN that your get routed through when trying to tether. Setting Tether_Dun_Required to 0 bypasses that APN and uses the normal data APN for your carrier just as if you were surfing the web (or whatever) from your phone.

Reactions: liamwli

jackpollard

Aug 17, 2013
On the nexus 5 alot of people on T-Mobile (sprint too I'm told) have trouble with the Wifi Tethering, either it doesn't work at all or it redirects you to the Up Sell Website to buy a tethering plan. From what I've read, Android flags all tethering data so that carriers can know you are trying to tether. This bypasses that issue and allows tethering to work. As I said though I did not come up with this fix myself, so maybe the person who did can enlighten us all a little better as to exactly what this fix does. All I know is that I could not get Wifi Tethering to work before I did this fix.

I do not know for sure that it masks tethering data, but I would assume it does since people were getting the upsell website before applying this fix, and then after this fix tethering works fine...

edit: I'm on the T-Mobile $30 a month plan (100 anytime minutes, unlimited Texting and unlimited Data)

Add AT&T to the carriers it works on, so I'm told by a "friend".

Nicknoxx

Jan 19, 2012
Well, I just tried this and it didn't work for me. I'm using a Nexus 4 with 4.4.2 and I still get 'Error' when I try to turn on wifi hotspot. It's not a problem with my carrier as I have used it on earlier version of Android on the same phone and same network.

Edit. I've just realised this is Nexus 5 forum not Nexus 4 but it's still interesting.

ben503

Apr 23, 2009
Credit goes to yakman66.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47203243
Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Well, I just tried this and it didn't work for me. I'm using a Nexus 4 with 4.4.2 and I still get 'Error' when I try to turn on wifi hotspot. It's not a problem with my carrier as I have used it on earlier version of Android on the same phone and same network.

Edit. I've just realised this is Nexus 5 forum not Nexus 4 but it's still interesting.

It will work. You need to edit APN. check out the link above

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

@bluegizmo83 Someone being a D*** for you posting this in 3 2 1....

Last edited:

Nicknoxx

Jan 19, 2012
You were right! Thanks.

I re-edited settings.db, re-edited my APN to IPv4 (I had to do it twice to get the value to 'stick') and re-booted and WiFi hotspot now works on my Nexus 4

Cheers

UPDATE: It didn't work the first time because I hadn't changed the ownership of settings.db back to system after editing it.

Last edited:

dave__

Feb 1, 2013
Chicago
I've tried installing SQLite Editor a few times now and it FC's every time I open it. Are others having success with the app on the N5/4.4.2?

liamwli

Jan 31, 2011
Ilford, London
You could do this via command line without an app, as long as you have the sqlite3 binary:

Code:
su
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
UPDATE settings.global SET tether_dun_required=0;

Note: will only work if column already exists...

Last edited:

Cytomat

Jun 3, 2013
Thank You

This was very clear and easy to follow. I can now tether on T-Mobile with my Nexus 5, thanks!

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I currently own an AT&T Galaxy S4 Active and planning to buy a Nexus 5.

I've always thought that the Nexus 5, IF purchased directly from Google, will NOT have any carrier specific restriction apps, including tethering. But it seems that this applies to even Nexus 5 bought from Google?

FYI, my AT&T Galaxy S4 Active is using stock ROM but I have no restriction on tethering, even though I did not sign-up for data tethering.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I currently own an AT&T Galaxy S4 Active and planning to buy a Nexus 5.

I've always thought that the Nexus 5, IF purchased directly from Google, will NOT have any carrier specific restriction apps, including tethering. But it seems that this applies to even Nexus 5 bought from Google?

FYI, my AT&T Galaxy S4 Active is using stock ROM but I have no restriction on tethering, even though I did not sign-up for data tethering.

Tethering is a carrier issue. It doesn't depend on the phone.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I just got a Nexus 5 (4.4.2) from Google (not T-Mobile) and coupled this with my T-Mobile SIM (I have Simple Plan - NOT $30 plan), I did a tethering test. Started tethering on my N5, connect my MacBook Air and...voila... it works.

I don't have to do the SQL editing per OP. Is this because I have a Simple Plan? Thought I have no issue with tethering, just wondering...

ben503

Apr 23, 2009
I just got a Nexus 5 (4.4.2) from Google (not T-Mobile) and coupled this with my T-Mobile SIM (I have Simple Plan - NOT $30 plan), I did a tethering test. Started tethering on my N5, connect my MacBook Air and...voila... it works.

I don't have to do the SQL editing per OP. Is this because I have a Simple Plan? Thought I have no issue with tethering, just wondering...

That's because T-Mobile gives out 2.5gb for free

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok here is an easy Step-By-Step. You will need to buy and download SQLite Editor from the play store ($2.99). I have tried a few different free editors and could not get any of them to work. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor&hl=en

I did not come up with this fix, I'm just detailing how to do it, with images. If anyone knows who is responsible for finding this fix, please let me know and I will add they're name here for credit.

Same always, I am not responsible for boot loops, bricking, overheating, tornados, flash floods, alien attacks, or angry girlfriends. Use at your own risk.

Step 1: Open the SQLite Editor app (approve root privileges) and navigate to "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/" and then click on the "settings.db" file

2013_11_26_13.11.10.jpg

Step 2: Click on "Global"

2013_11_26_13.11.30.jpg

Step 3: Click on the + icon in the upper left corner

2013_11_26_13.11.39.jpg

Step 4: Leave the _id field on (auto). In the Name field type "tether_dun_required". In the Value field type "0" (the number zero). Click SAVE.

2013_11_26_13.12.12.jpg

Now just back out of the SQLite Editor app and then reboot your phone!

Perhaps someone could sticky this for easy finding?
    You could do this via command line without an app, as long as you have the sqlite3 binary:

Code:
    su
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    UPDATE settings.global SET tether_dun_required=0;

Note: will only work if column already exists...
    After searching around on Google I found this information regarding the TETHER_DUN_REQUIRED string. http://www.androidjavadoc.com/2.3/android/provider/Settings.Secure.html

static String TETHER_DUN_REQUIRED
    Used to require DUN APN on the device or not - defaults to a build config value which defaults to false

So it would appear that there is a special APN that your get routed through when trying to tether. Setting Tether_Dun_Required to 0 bypasses that APN and uses the normal data APN for your carrier just as if you were surfing the web (or whatever) from your phone.
    Yeah, I unfortunately have exactly the same issue with my galaxy s5 (boost mobile) the count jumps to 1 after 15 second!! Please any help

you could try editing your APN, Under APN Type and ",dun" to the list. Example mine says default,supl,mms,dun

The only thing I am still wondering is after these edits if they can still tell your tethering. I have T-Mobile unlimited and want to tether at work without having the 5gb plan.