• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to trick a phone into thinking it has a sd card

Search This thread

BucephalusFox

Jun 23, 2021
Hello everyone

This probably comes off as a odd question. But i am thinking about buying a Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G. I am able to get it for a reasonable low price if i get the 64GB version. Altough i am concerned that 64gb is not going to be enough. Especially if i want to take photos and videos more often. And the problem is, this particular model does not come with a sd card slot, so it is not impossible to expand that way.

Now when you go into the camera app settings, you can turn on "save to sd card", atleast this is if they did not remove that option for this model in MIUI, i don't know that yet. But if not, i was wondering if you could put in a type-c adapter/card reader, put in a sd card in the adapter, and that the phone recognizes it as a sd card rather than a "usb" connected device. And that you could trick the phone into thinking that you put in a sd card, and that i would be able to record videos that save directly on to a external sd card.

BucephalusFox

Jun 23, 2021
Use a Camera / Video Recording app that lets you select the USB-drive as target storage memory.
That is a smart possible solution. I have to look for one that would be able to take really good 4k video's that stores onto the drive right away. It might be hard since the camera should be able to record 4k 60fps, and i don't know if there are any apps that support that.