[How to] UN-ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110]

Search This thread

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
This Root Remover has been tested with the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1, Model GT-P5113.

REQUIREMENT: You must have root using the procedure at [How To] ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110]

• After you download this file, move it the root of your external SD card( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the micro sdcard you insert in tablet slot. Your /mnt/sdcard folder is internal memory (not recognized in CWM recovery).
• Reboot into CWM (recovery) using Quick Boot app or
• Power OFF your tablet, disconnect from computer and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding POWER & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM v5.5.0.4 text appears ... just be patient.
• Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around andPOWER button to select an option.
Select install zip from sdcard. Choose Root_Remover file you already copied to root of sdcard.

When unrooting is finished, choose reboot system now from CWM menu.

By downloading this file you understand and agree that you bear all responsibility for the use and anything it may do to your tablet.

DOWNLOAD

Root_Remover.zip

Unrooting does NOT reset the download counter (developers are still working on that).
As soon as I or another developer figure out how to reset the counter on this device,
I will post information HERE.

Keep in mind that at least three Tab2 10.1 variations exist around the world.
BE PATIENT. As with prior Androids, a solution will come.

Enjoy,

Glenn :)

Last edited:

Zeustopher

Feb 24, 2012
Salt Lake City
copy.com
Thanks welton!

I still haven't taken the dive in rooting this tablet yet (its my mom's and I want to make sure that if/when something breaks we can return it under warranty). This gets me 1 step closer though. Once we can figure out the download counter then I'm 100% in!

Patschi_

Dec 25, 2010
pkern.at
Yes, it would be great if the counter could be resetted. On the Samsung Galaxy S2 there is only a little USB stick, which have to be putted into the power slot on the phone. Then the phone boots and the counter will be resetted... Why there is no such a trick on the Tab? :(

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Counter reset device

Yes, it would be great if the counter could be resetted. On the Samsung Galaxy S2 there is only a little USB stick, which have to be putted into the power slot on the phone. Then the phone boots and the counter will be resetted... Why there is no such a trick on the Tab? :(

Yes, would be nice if it were that easy. I have the USB jig for my SGS2 smartphone. If I can get an adapter from the SGS2 microUSB male plug to the Tab2 connnector plug, I intend to try it on my tablet.

If ANYBODY knows where i can purchase an adapter with a female microUSB port that converts it to standard USB 2.0, PLEASE post or PM me so i can try my SGS2 reset jig with my GT-P5113 to see if it will reset the download counter to zero. Thanks!

For the record, I tried using Cheatman's Triangle Away app Versions 1.1, 1.25 and 1.51 but with no success.

Last edited:

Zeustopher

Feb 24, 2012
Salt Lake City
copy.com
If ANYBODY knows where i can purchase an adapter with a female microUSB port that converts it to standard USB 2.0, PLEASE post or PM me so i can try my SGS2 reset jig with my GT-P5113 to see if it will reset the download counter to zero. Thanks!

Well I did some searching and the closest thing I can find is a Micro to Mini adapter on Ebay Here or Here. You'd then have to get a Mini to USB adapater... It would be a pain but it just doesn't look like they make a mini that converts to a full-fledged USB.

-- Zeustopher

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Making a USB jig or finding stock bootloader

Well I did some searching and the closest thing I can find is a Micro to Mini adapter on Ebay Here or Here. You'd then have to get a Mini to USB adapater... It would be a pain but it just doesn't look like they make a mini that converts to a full-fledged USB.

-- Zeustopher

Thanks. I found the same. If I can verify the pin designations for the tab2 10.1 as being similar to my SGS2 phone, I will try jumping the USB2.0 end of my tab2 cable with a resisitor to see if that works.

Plan B: If I can find a stock bootloader.bin file for GT-P5113 tablet, I can try resetting the download counter using ODIN to flash that file. I already tried installing the GT-P5110 bootloader via ODIN, and it would not connect or flash. As life has taught me many times "Quitters never win & winners never quit" so I am determined to find a solution!

jamesclinton

Sep 22, 2009
Android Jungle
Important of counter reset

Sorry for the noob question, but what will happen if we can not reset the counter to 0 i see so many people are talking abt it how important is this "counter reset" stuff?

edit: This is my first samsung device so i don´t know much abt it, am still learning.

Thanks. I found the same. If I can verify the pin designations for the tab2 10.1 as being similar to my SGS2 phone, I will try jumping the USB2.0 end of my tab2 cable with a resisitor to see if that works.

Plan B: If I can find a stock bootloader.bin file for GT-P5113 tablet, I can try resetting the download counter using ODIN to flash that file. I already tried installing the GT-P5110 bootloader via ODIN, and it would not connect or flash. As life has taught me many times "Quitters never win & winners never quit" so I am determined to find a solution!

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Counter reset

Sorry for the noob question, but what will happen if we can not reset the counter to 0 i see so many people are talking abt it how important is this "counter reset" stuff?

edit: This is my first samsung device so i don´t know much abt it, am still learning.

Unless counter says zero you may not be able to get any service if/when needed
because Samsung can refuse to honor the factory warranty. It's that simple. However, this tablet is my 4th Android tablet and I've never needed any service on ANY of them. All my former tablets have been sold or given away as gifts and ALL still work perfectly.

shakatu

May 31, 2012
If I can find a stock bootloader.bin file for GT-P5113 tablet, I can try resetting the download counter using ODIN to flash that file.

Is there a way to pull the stock bootloader without rooting/adding to the Odin counter? So if someone out there was reading this and had stock they could supply you with it?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: roberttorrence321

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Pulling bootloader

Is there a way to pull the stock bootloader without rooting/adding to the Odin counter? So if someone out there was reading this and had stock they could supply you with it?

Good question. I normally find files like this using Root Explorer which is a Catch 22 or getting it from Samsung but they have not released GT-P5113 Stock files. Maybe someone reading this (who is smarter than me) will know of a way we can get it!

shakatu

May 31, 2012
Good question. I normally find files like this using Root Explorer which is a Catch 22 or getting it from Samsung but they have not released GT-P5113 Stock files. Maybe someone reading this (who is smarter than me) will know of a way we can get it!

Okay... Cuz I haven't rooted mine yet, but I may considering pulling the stock bootloader... Though I really don't want to mess with the bootloader...

Since it was from Best Buy is there really any worry about the Odin counter just in case something DOES happen with my tablet after root? I've heard some people say Best Buy doesn't check Odin...

My Samsung phone used the recovery root method so the counter still says "NO"... :p

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Best Buy

Okay... Cuz I haven't rooted mine yet, but I may considering pulling the stock bootloader... Though I really don't want to mess with the bootloader...

Since it was from Best Buy is there really any worry about the Odin counter just in case something DOES happen with my tablet after root? I've heard some people say Best Buy doesn't check Odin...

My Samsung phone used the recovery root method so the counter still says "NO"... :p

Based on my experiences and feedback from friends, odds are 70/30 in your favor with Best Buy. I know it's just a matter of time before I get my hands on the stock bootloader.bin file or we get a version of TriangleAway for this tablet.

What's interesting to me is that only about 1 in 10 people who root their tablets seem to even care about being able to unroot it and i've yet to meet anyone who has needed service of any kind on a Tab2.

Last edited:

Norwester

Jun 20, 2009
Oregon
Thanks,un-rooted,DLed and installed the update and rooted again in 1/2 hr. Worked great! 25 minutes was download time for the update via Kies. :eek:

dukhan

Jul 11, 2009
Gents,
I have been looking for the stock recovery for the 5100.
who plz can provide?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Root Remover has been tested with the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1, Model GT-P5113.

REQUIREMENT: You must have root using the procedure at [How To] ROOT Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110]

• After you download this file, move it the root of your external SD card( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the micro sdcard you insert in tablet slot. Your /mnt/sdcard folder is internal memory (not recognized in CWM recovery).
    • Reboot into CWM (recovery) using Quick Boot app or
    • Power OFF your tablet, disconnect from computer and restart in recovery (CWM) by pushing and holding POWER & Volume DOWN/LEFT buttons at same time. When Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears, you can release power button but continue holding volume button for a few more seconds. Note: If you've done this on other Samsung devices, you will notice that it takes longer before blue CWM v5.5.0.4 text appears ... just be patient.
    • Once you are in recovery, use volume button (UP/DOWN/LEFT OR RIGHT) to move around andPOWER button to select an option.
    Select install zip from sdcard. Choose Root_Remover file you already copied to root of sdcard.

When unrooting is finished, choose reboot system now from CWM menu.

By downloading this file you understand and agree that you bear all responsibility for the use and anything it may do to your tablet.

DOWNLOAD

Root_Remover.zip

Unrooting does NOT reset the download counter (developers are still working on that).
    As soon as I or another developer figure out how to reset the counter on this device,
    I will post information HERE.

Keep in mind that at least three Tab2 10.1 variations exist around the world.
    BE PATIENT. As with prior Androids, a solution will come.

Enjoy,

If I can find a stock bootloader.bin file for GT-P5113 tablet, I can try resetting the download counter using ODIN to flash that file.

download counter as every time you flash a file by odin the counter increase by one so it begins by zero as no flashing by odin yet factory state then with every flash increase by one so become one, two etc with every odin flash so guys at samsung service know that you flashed you device and tried to modify it so they refuse to offer warrany sevice and repair if you need them for repairing or replacing your device during warrany period for any reason so we need to figure a way to reset counter to zero to benefit from warrany service so samsung service guys will not know we tried flashing and modification of the device and accept to give us warrany service and as i know no way to reset the counter in this samsung tablets yet but may come oneday so if you tried flashing and can not reset counter and needed samsung service for any reason they will refuse to repair it free under warrany period
    I haven't tried TA yet.. I thought that would only remove triangle if you had it but not fix counter, but I'm not sure..
    For the E4GT, when you plug the jig in, it instantly puts your phone in download mode, but it also resets your counter too, puts the custom binary back to 'No (Samsung Official)"

I don't have the triangle on my tablet.. just have a flash counter at 11. I know that's not very high and it really doesnt matter, but I like it to say Samsung official.. :)

sj

Sent from my PimpedOut GT-P5113 on CM10.1 - 1/25 Nightly using [email protected] Pro 2.4.9

TA does set flash counter at 0. There wasnt a flash counter on my Samsung vibrant so I never had to worry about it.
    Here is a link to TA thread/app etc http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=22462960

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD
    ok, so on my tab running CM10.1 - 1/25 build, even if I don't have a triangle, if I run TA, it should reset my counter and thats it? Will it mess anything up on my ROM/kernel?

sj

Sent from my pimped out E4GT on WftN_CM10.1 - 1/25 with [email protected] Pro 2.4.10

It let's you apply the value to the flash counter if your firmware shows unsupported, if its supported it sets to 0. AFAIK you shouldn't have any issues but I would highly recommend reading through the thread, the app info on market and if you still have questions, ask them on the thread or pm chainfire. The thread says gtab2 10.1 is supported and I can't imagine cm10.1 not being supported.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD