How to unbrick a Dell Venue Pro

Search This thread

MJCS

The following steps should unbrick your Dell Venue pro in most cases (this will not unbrick your phone if you updated the touch screen firmware via the EM app). You can do this at your own risk. I strongly suggest calling or e-mailing Dell Mobility Support before doing this. If your phone is out of warranty, you replaced the SD card, or did something else really silly to it then this might be your only option. You will lose all data on your phone with this method. Your contacts should be backed up on Live/Hotmail/Facebook/Twitter/Etc. and your images on SkyDrive. Everything else will be wiped. You phone will be wiped back to Version 7704 (or what we had when the phone launched back in October of 2010).
The following instructions are for Windows-based machines. There might be a similar utility for Mac’s but I have no way to find out. You are on your own if you have a Mac.
  1. Unplug your DVP, Remove the battery.
  2. If you replaced your SD card (and voided the warranty in the process) please insert your stock SD card at this time. If you never touched your SD card then you can obviously skip this step.
  3. If your phone already has the stock SD card in it, please wait 10 seconds, and put the battery back in. You may put the cover back on as well if you like.
  4. Now we are going to enter the boot loader (this is how your bricked phone can receive the FFU file) by holding the volume down (-), camera, and then power buttons. DO NOT RELEASE THESE until you see the image of a phone, USB cable, and laptop.
  5. Connect your Dell Venue Pro to your computer with the USB cable that came with the phone or one that has the same or higher specs. I have seen it take up to 10 minutes for the phone to be recognized by your computer. If after 10 minutes your phone hasn’t connected, try another USB port and/or cable.
  6. While your computer is installing the drivers/connecting to your phone download the following file and extract it.
    http://www.multiupload.com/5YT27EHLZV
    VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.zip (138.7 MB)
  7. While this is downloading, close Zune if it is not already closed as it takes a few seconds for it to really unload from memory.
  8. Once you think your phone has been connected, open up command prompt (you may need to start it in admin mode depending on your security settings) by typing “cmd” in the start menu or going start -> run and entering “cmd”.
  9. Change directory to “C:\program files\zune\” by typing “cd C:\program files\zune\” and hitting enter
  10. Then type “UpdateWp /list” and your phone should show up there. If it hasn’t be patient and read step 3 again.
  11. If your phone is listed (it should be) and your download is done and extracted, copy the VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.ffu file over to the” C:\program files\zune\” directory. You may wish to rename this file before copying it over to something shorter if you wish for the next part.
  12. Now back in the command prompt window type “updatewp /ffu VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.ffu”. If you did not rename the FFU file you can type Venue and then hit tab to auto complete the name otherwise enter the name of the FFU file you renamed.
  13. Hit enter and DO NOT unplug the phone. This process can take anywhere between 60 seconds and 10 minutes.
  14. This should work and bring you back to the stock state. If it does not you can retry this a few more times but if after 2 or 3 times it does not work then you need to contact Dell as your phone is royally screwed.
  15. You can now re-open Zune, pair your device, and update all the way back to Mango (this could take up to an hour).

Ephez

Jul 25, 2010
I have a question:
My phone told me:

So I tried many of my backup (first boot,Nodo and mango beta backup) to restore it and the ffu backup file but my phone boot in 20mins and no access to EM or any other application but I have an home screen...

Can you tell me if I try to replace my sd card and flash with the ffu i can retreive a working phone?

(Dell doesn't respond to my mails)

totoropororo

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
'Then type “UpdateWp /list” and your phone should show up there. If it hasn’t be patient and read step 3 again'

I tried entering that but it said 'updatewp /list' is not a recognized as an internal or external, operable program or batch file.' Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've tried it on two different laptops.

Please reply as soon as possible :)

Gorokhovsky

Dec 22, 2011
Tomsk
Hello!
I replaced the broken screen on DVP. But now when you turn on DVP he says "Storage card not working".
I'm trying to apply the decision of the post, but if you type updatewp / list or updatewp / ffu ...... - I get an error message following items:

C: \ Program Files \ Zune> updatewp / list
UpdateWP version 4.8.2345.0

Error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly "In
terop.WM7UpdateLib, Version = 4.8.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = null "or
din of its dependencies. Can not find the file specified.
File name: "Interop.WM7UpdateLib, Version = 4.8.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyTok
en = null "
in Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize ()
in Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance ()
in wm7update.Program.Main (String [] args)

Warning: check assembly bind off.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the parameter value
registry [HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Fusion! EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note. Registration assembly bind failure can lead to some reduction
NIJ performance.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ F
usion! EnableLog].

C: \ Program Files \ Zune>

Please help!

Reactions: davidmm81

totoropororo

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hello!
I replaced the broken screen on DVP. But now when you turn on DVP he says "Storage card not working".
I'm trying to apply the decision of the post, but if you type updatewp / list or updatewp / ffu ...... - I get an error message following items:

terop.WM7UpdateLib, Version = 4.8.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = null "or
File name: "Interop.WM7UpdateLib, Version = 4.8.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyTok
en = null "

NIJ performance.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ F
usion! EnableLog].

Please help!

This arises from a previous installation of Windows Phone Support Tool. You have to uninstall it and then install/reinstall the file found in this link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PL7H6FKJ) and then I copied the files in this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1262471 to the Zune Directory.

Hopefully that solves your problem. ;)

Gorokhovsky

Dec 22, 2011
Tomsk
This arises from a previous installation of Windows Phone Support Tool. You have to uninstall it and then install/reinstall the file found in this link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PL7H6FKJ) and then I copied the files in this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1262471 to the Zune Directory.

Thank YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
It's WORKED!!!:)

Here I took a Zune http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KY8J8SIY

Last edited:

Gorokhovsky

Dec 22, 2011
Tomsk
Hello!
DVP restored, upgraded to the latest version. But phone does not see MicroSD HC 32Gb Class 10. Before that, everything worked fine. Now available in 32 Gb only 400 Mb: (
Put on the stock card 8Gb Class 4 - worked. But ...
Several times already rolling away in 7004, updated again - anyway, just out of 32Gb 400Mb ...
EM Test says SD Card - not installing, but the DVP should not run without the card!
Please, help me again...

totoropororo

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
Sorry guys, I can't seem to find another version of the first link I listed. I deleted mine unless someone can reupload it. The only suggestion I have is to try and check this link (http://www.multiupload.com/EQK2RPH3P6) file for the 'updatewp.exe', which should install 'Windows Phone Engineer Flashing Tool'. Why oh why did they shut down Megaupload, when it also had its legitimate reasons as well. But I can't blame them or agree with what those Pro-SOPA and PIPA are trying to do. There are always two sides to every story I suppose.

Reactions: gurbina93

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The following steps should unbrick your Dell Venue pro in most cases (this will not unbrick your phone if you updated the touch screen firmware via the EM app). You can do this at your own risk. I strongly suggest calling or e-mailing Dell Mobility Support before doing this. If your phone is out of warranty, you replaced the SD card, or did something else really silly to it then this might be your only option. You will lose all data on your phone with this method. Your contacts should be backed up on Live/Hotmail/Facebook/Twitter/Etc. and your images on SkyDrive. Everything else will be wiped. You phone will be wiped back to Version 7704 (or what we had when the phone launched back in October of 2010).
    The following instructions are for Windows-based machines. There might be a similar utility for Mac’s but I have no way to find out. You are on your own if you have a Mac.
    1. Unplug your DVP, Remove the battery.
    2. If you replaced your SD card (and voided the warranty in the process) please insert your stock SD card at this time. If you never touched your SD card then you can obviously skip this step.
    3. If your phone already has the stock SD card in it, please wait 10 seconds, and put the battery back in. You may put the cover back on as well if you like.
    4. Now we are going to enter the boot loader (this is how your bricked phone can receive the FFU file) by holding the volume down (-), camera, and then power buttons. DO NOT RELEASE THESE until you see the image of a phone, USB cable, and laptop.
    5. Connect your Dell Venue Pro to your computer with the USB cable that came with the phone or one that has the same or higher specs. I have seen it take up to 10 minutes for the phone to be recognized by your computer. If after 10 minutes your phone hasn’t connected, try another USB port and/or cable.
    6. While your computer is installing the drivers/connecting to your phone download the following file and extract it.
      http://www.multiupload.com/5YT27EHLZV
      VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.zip (138.7 MB)
    7. While this is downloading, close Zune if it is not already closed as it takes a few seconds for it to really unload from memory.
    8. Once you think your phone has been connected, open up command prompt (you may need to start it in admin mode depending on your security settings) by typing “cmd” in the start menu or going start -> run and entering “cmd”.
    9. Change directory to “C:\program files\zune\” by typing “cd C:\program files\zune\” and hitting enter
    10. Then type “UpdateWp /list” and your phone should show up there. If it hasn’t be patient and read step 3 again.
    11. If your phone is listed (it should be) and your download is done and extracted, copy the VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.ffu file over to the” C:\program files\zune\” directory. You may wish to rename this file before copying it over to something shorter if you wish for the next part.
    12. Now back in the command prompt window type “updatewp /ffu VenuePro_flash_GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIGNED_SWV0105_LP0030_RV001_RETAIL.ffu”. If you did not rename the FFU file you can type Venue and then hit tab to auto complete the name otherwise enter the name of the FFU file you renamed.
    13. Hit enter and DO NOT unplug the phone. This process can take anywhere between 60 seconds and 10 minutes.
    14. This should work and bring you back to the stock state. If it does not you can retry this a few more times but if after 2 or 3 times it does not work then you need to contact Dell as your phone is royally screwed.
    15. You can now re-open Zune, pair your device, and update all the way back to Mango (this could take up to an hour).
    I have this one. Can upload later tomorrow.

ADDED:
    Here ffu: http://files.mail.ru/DFH3ZD
    Hello!

en = null "

NIJ performance.
    usion! EnableLog].

Please help!

Now I wonder if there is a way to edit that ffu file ...

That would be nice :D
    I have the latest zune and there's nothing to update. Is the updatewp tool a seperate program?

nevermind I found it, working

hey i have the same problem you had. please could you tell me where you found it?