[HOW-TO] Unbrick your Transformer Prime (or not)

Search This thread

reexon

Jul 23, 2008
Newbie in need for help - Unknown BRICKED State….and Unknown how was bricked

ASUS TF201 / 64 gb. – No access to specific blob files.
I think I have APX mode after I run the below commands in Ubuntu

lsusb...
Bus 002 Device 085: ID 0955:7330 NVidia Corp.

and when I run
dmesg |tail

[15614.715848] usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 84 using ehci-pci
[15615.539331] usb 2-1.2: device not accepting address 84, error -71
[15615.539592] hub 2-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[15616.495015] usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 85 using ehci-pci
[15616.588212] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0955, idProduct=7330
[15616.588224] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[15616.588230] usb 2-1.2: Product: APX
[15616.588236] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corp.
[16007.391552] systemd-hostnamed[7142]: Warning: nss-myhostname is not installed. Changing the local hostname might make it unresolveable. Please install nss-myhostname!
[16008.688244] perf samples too long (2501 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000

I have tried Windows before Ubuntu, I was able to identify as APX in device manager but I could not understand and get any results, and decide to move to Ubuntu.

I appreciate if I can get straight answer that I can’t seem to find:
Since it’s visible as APX in ubuntu and Windows what are % chances to be recoverable?

I’m newbie and I have tried to learn as much as I can…but after a week of frustration I’m very down on energy, and lost …in commands that don’t seem to work as specified on forum.

I appreciate any help and direction on where should I start.

das chaos

Jan 28, 2014
ASUS TF201 / 64 gb. – No access to specific blob files.

I appreciate if I can get straight answer that I can’t seem to find:
Since it’s visible as APX in ubuntu and Windows what are % chances to be recoverable?

As of now the chances are exactly 0% if you don't have backed up the nvflash blobs.

Two posibilites:
1. Buy a new logic board at ebay ($ 30 to 60)
2. Hope on outcomings in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2178110

aguennon

Feb 20, 2010
Please Help about this issue; i had jb bootloader and i unlocked with asus apk and it was saying this device is unlocked. After that i installed cwm recovery 5.8.3.4 but it didnt enter recovery but it was normally booting into android. but for installing custom rom i installed cvm 6.5.0.4 and tried to enter CWM and it entered to CWM. then i boot normally into Android. But i reset to factory settings from android menu. Then devices reboot and after that an android robot appeared on the screen with a gray background and now it is always stuck there. It does not enter cwm and also not boot into Android. I have tried vol down+power, it closes then opens but everytime with this android robot and again i try to vol down + power bbut no chance. it stucked on this screeen. please help. on this stuck screen i connected to pc but when i write adb or fastboot commands it says no devices... What can i do?

alesi80

Feb 21, 2009
is this brick??

Till yesterday I had namidario cm 11 rom, 4.1.1 bootloader last version of voyager TWRP and kokokernel. Everything worked pretty good.

Yesterday and today I tried to flash PARANOID ANDROID 4.4 and it went on Framwork_res_Stock_20140608 loop, than I tried to intal the previous PA 4.3 version (and the Framwork_res_Stock) and it went stock on asus splashscreen. Than today I tried the new namidario CM11, but the same asus splash screen is stucked there...

What sould I do?
Is it another type of brick?:confused::confused:

EDIT: I saved the day... just wiping everything I could, and flashing again the namidario's CM11, but previous version and it worked again...

Last edited:

fridrik

Jul 24, 2012
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Hi guys, I have a problem with the transformer prime.

The tablet connects normally, but always freezes at boot. When I press the volume down + power the phone vibrates, but nothing happens.
When I press the volume up + power, nothing happens.

Anyone know if have a solution for this?

Sorry for my english.

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
Hello,

I bricked my TF201...

Cannot boot into Android and cannot acces to the Bootloader.
My devices is unlocked, but i don't activate nvflash so i don't have my proper Blob file.

Is my device dead ?
Today, is there a hack in order to generate a goog blob form antoher blob's device ?

I Will pay if anyone really help me with success to unbrick my TF201, really !

Thanks a lot,

You are my last hope....

Lyvewire

Dec 9, 2008
I'm looking to update to later JB bootloader so I can try Androwookie again and or new KIT Kat Rom I just seen. Currently on older Energy Rom and its been stable but cant stream and use bluetooth audio without video being streamed stopping. I want to see if a more updated ROM would help with multitasking..

I've done this update before but don't want to risk bricking after reading this thread. I have bricked mines before and spent a whole day, (took a day of work off!), on this thread til I got it back. So good luck to anyone this happens too.

My question is there a more recent update to use NV Flash? I remember looking before and it was too complicated for me to follow. I noticed this was updated 2014 but not sure if anything really changed. I just want to have something to go back to in case I mess something up!!

Thanks

NEVERMIND!!!! ANSWERED MY OWN STUPID QUESTION RIGHT AFTER I FOUND THIS
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1774352

Last edited:

dondipietro

Oct 9, 2008
TF201 Bricked Brick 1a / 1b ?

Hello,

My Transformer prime always boot to the same screen (green robot with rotating gear) No text and nothing append:

I can connect the tf201 to the computer with adb but not with fastboot.

So I try the brick 1a solution and brick 1b but no good result I can't enter in other recovery mode like with cwm.

This problem appeared after I've done wipe user data because AndroWook always reboot my pad.

Here is the command I used :

C:\tmp\Upgrade ASUS transformer TF201 android UBTv1.3.2>adb shell
~ # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1
^C
C:\tmp\Upgrade ASUS transformer TF201 android UBTv1.3.2>

When I reboot, pushing volume down and power don't make it enter into recovery, each time it's the green robot.

Please can somebody help me ?

CanI reinstall cwm with adb, without fastboot ?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

didier74

Mar 6, 2008
Good evening every one.

Well, owner of a tf101, i am trying to help afriend who has a big problem with her tf201, but did not find any solution yet:

Her tf201 is stock rom, she only made stock rom updates and she thinks she has the latest one, but i cannot chek it since....all of a sudden, she turned her device off normaly one day, and she's got bootloops the other day, any time it comes to ASUS logo it reboots again and again.

She never did anything, no unlock bootlocker, no cwm, no twrp, no Nvflash preinstalled....just stock situation.

Of course she's got files she'd like to save like photos, etc....reason why the only thing i did not try is wiping datas. Cause yes, i am able to load stock recovery pushing volume down and power.
I downloaded the latest stock rom from Asus site, installed it on Sdcard to try to reinstall the firmware. The installation seems to begin, but after 2 or 3 minutes, bootloops are back again.

Could you please tell me what you think about all this ?

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:

CafeteriaMan

Oct 20, 2009
Still Sick

I was in the basement and ran across my paper weight. Figured I would check back into the thread to see if someone smarter than me had stumbled across a fix. I had forgotten about it, but the sick feeling has set back in right before Christmas. :(

BitModDev

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas City
Hello,

My Transformer prime always boot to the same screen (green robot with rotating gear) No text and nothing append:

I can connect the tf201 to the computer with adb but not with fastboot.

So I try the brick 1a solution and brick 1b but no good result I can't enter in other recovery mode like with cwm.

This problem appeared after I've done wipe user data because AndroWook always reboot my pad.

Here is the command I used :

C:\tmp\Upgrade ASUS transformer TF201 android UBTv1.3.2>adb shell
~ # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1
^C
C:\tmp\Upgrade ASUS transformer TF201 android UBTv1.3.2>

When I reboot, pushing volume down and power don't make it enter into recovery, each time it's the green robot.

Please can somebody help me ?

CanI reinstall cwm with adb, without fastboot ?

Thank you very much.

I am having this exact same issue, did you ever find a fix?

captsakis

Jun 23, 2009
glyfada-athens
Brick 2: When booting up your Prime hangs at the splashscreen (the screen with "EeePad" in the middle) and tells you something about an "unrecoverable bootloader error" (happened so far to at least 4 users)
-> Please go to Option 2
Option 2

Sorry, but your Prime is most likely hard bricked.
This can happen if you try to apply a stock blob file after you installed CWM. There is currently no way to recover from this
**************************************************************************************************************************
NO,NO,NO !!!!!! i gave life to my tf201 after 2,5 years, and if you need too go to xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179759&page=40

iams2b

Mar 6, 2016
I have same problem, Can anyone help me? :'(
tks everybody! :good:
Can anyone help me?
I was in the 4.1.1 but the tablet started to be amazingly slow, so I did the root and unlock with the asus software.
After I tried to update to a new rom with goomanager and the pad rebooted. Now is stucked into Asus logo with "the device is unlocked" on the left corner and "powered by tegra" in the right corner.
I cannot even turn off the device. If i press the power button it restarts again.
I'm not able to go to recovery or fastboot. Its always in asus screen.
What can I do??
Thanks

marmelo

Apr 25, 2009
Unbrick

I have same problem, Can anyone help me? :'(
tks everybody! :good:

I think you should forget about that. I did exactly like you 2 years ago. It was really slow, so i tried to get it faster and now is always in loop mode. No solution in the past years. Today i start cleaning for moving between houses and i found my old transformer and i came here to check, because it kills me knowing i need to throw this away and i have the transformer with the battery keyboard docking station.

Reactions: iams2b

iams2b

Mar 6, 2016
I think you should forget about that. I did exactly like you 2 years ago. It was really slow, so i tried to get it faster and now is always in loop mode. No solution in the past years. Today i start cleaning for moving between houses and i found my old transformer and i came here to check, because it kills me knowing i need to throw this away and i have the transformer with the battery keyboard docking station.
yah i throw it away too, it's time-consuming :p
i have just bought a new tablet :"))

Reactions: Mangala_Dharma

Rushing

Jan 13, 2012
Los Angeles
This was the most high end tablet I hope I ever have to trash.
It sucked in the beginning with stock, it sucked with root, it collapsed with cyanogenmod. and yeah I did all the somewhat tedious backup of the needed restoration files. But it wouldn't be worth it to restore the fail Asus made.
I will take it apart and look at the old gpu for fun.
Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

j0p3y

Jan 4, 2012
I'm into a bricked state where the only screen I get is the black screen, in the center it says in white "Asus® Inspiring Innovation - Persistent Perfection" and in the bottom-right there's the 'powered by Nvidia'TEGRA' logo.
I can't get the tablet to shut down.
I can get into bootloader mode with four options by pressing power+vol-down for 10 seconds.
Selectable are RCK, Android, USB and Wipe data.
I like to update to KatKiss 7.1 (https://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-t3457417)
I haven't used the tablet for some years because of the terribly slow preformance. Had it replaced for an iPad for some time. That device is gone now (!) :) )
I didn't root the Transformer Prime when I used it.
Now I like to try to revive the device, are there any instructions so I can get it working on KatKiss?
I'm a bit familiar with rooting and ROM flashing.
This device is non-essential, so I have my hands free to try whatever it needs :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    I just wanted to put some information together on how to recover your bricked Prime (if possible).

DISCLAIMER
    I am in no way responsible for what you do with your Prime, even when you are following these (my) instructions.
    There is always the risk of making it worse and this risk is completely down to you!!!

Currently we know 4 states of bricked Primes whereas 3 are more or less widespread.

• Brick 1a: You unlocked your Prime with ASUS' tool, did some stuff to it (like flashing a custom ROM) and now it always boots into recovery instead of your ROM.
      You can't select to boot to fastboot or anything else. No matter what you do it's always the recovery. (happening to many users)
      -> Please go to Option 1a

• Brick 1b: You unlocked your Prime with ASUS' tool, did some stuff to it (like flashing a custom ROM) and now once you want to boot your new ROM it shows you the bootanimation but suddenly tells you something about an "unsuccessful encryption" (it's a real android screen, with a touch button etc.)
      Once you hit the "Reset" button it restarts but you can't boot the ROM anymore, you are now caught in a CWM loop (much like Brick 1a)
      -> Please go to Option 1b

• Brick 2: When booting up your Prime hangs at the splashscreen (the screen with "EeePad" in the middle) and tells you something about an "unrecoverable bootloader error" (happened so far to at least 4 users)
      -> Please go to Option 2

• Brick 3: (After messing around with your Prime in recovery it won't boot any ROM anymore, you can however still access fastboot and the recovery)
      Update: This particular brick happens due to a bad kernel flash. If you are flashing kernels via the ASUS /staging method, make sure /staging is unmounted before flashing stuff to it, otherwise it WILL faill and brick.

Update 2: It seems we can't use the old fix for this brick anymore. Sometimes it does more bad than good. :(
      ->Please go to Option 3

Option 1a

Don't be afraid, your Prime should be recoverable. This is the good news. The bad news is, that you need quite some knowledge of ADB.

To recover your Prime (most likely) you need the following:
    • A working ADB setup (please google that if you don't have it, "tutorial setup adb" or something like that should do the trick)
    • The USB-Cable to connect the Prime to your PC
    • A few minutes time

Now do the following:
    • Make sure your Prime is in Recovery mode (CWM)

• Open a cmd line on your pc

• Type: "adb shell"

• You should see a "#" now

• Once you have that "#", please type: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1 and press [Enter]

• Now type: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1 and press [Enter]

• Exit the shell and reboot your Prime via CWM

• It should not reboot to CWM automatically now. It either boots your ROM or is stuck at the splash screen. If it is stuck, boot to recovery and install any ROM you want. :)

Option 1b

Good news, this brick should be no problem. :)
    Basically you need to first do Option 1a, but don't reboot the Prime just yet.
    • After executing the dd commands, you need to reboot your Prime to the bootloader menu and NOT the ROM itself.
    • To do this you need to reboot your device while holding down the Volume_Down key.
    • Once the white text in the top left corner appears release the buttons.
    • Now don't press anything until you can see a menu with 3 icons, an Android symbol, an USB symbol and a Wipe Data symbol.
    • Select the Wipe Data icon with pressing Volume_Down twice. Now press Volume_Up twice to reset the device to factory state.
    • WARNING: OF COURSE THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA!!!! EVEN THE INTERNAL MEMORY AKA SDCARD!!! CURRENTLY I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO RECOVER FROM THIS BRICK!!!
    • After the wipe is done, you should be able to flash a new ROM or boot the existing ROM :)

Option 2

Sorry, but your Prime is most likely hard bricked.
    This can happen if you try to apply a stock blob file after you installed CWM. There is currently no way to recover from this. :(

Option 3

If you are in this situation (Prime doesn't boot but you can access both recovery and fastboot) please go to #asus-transformer on freenode and ask for help there. We currently don't know if you can recover from this state.
    Do not, I repeat, do not try to flash a stock ASUS ROM/blob file.
    Doing this you will most likely hard brick your Prime.

We now found a way to un-brick this one too :)
    This one is a bit more risky, so make sure you follow all instructions with a bit of extra care.

Update: It seems the old method for this brick could make things even worse on some Primes.
    On some primes this can be easily fixed, however putting this in a guide could do more harm than good.

Troubleshooting
    • Problems getting ADB to work in recovery mode? Only seeing something like "Full Android on Emulator" in the device manager instead of your tablet?
      Well I have a posible fix for you: Got to this thread and download the drivers. Then override the drivers for the Emulator device manually with the new ones. ADB should work now :)

--- Read here how to prevent future bricks and other common problems ---

Bits & pieces
    You might want to have a look here for a possible solution for some bootloader errors (It's from a TF300):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44244313&postcount=12

Credits:
    thx to kmdm for his solution on Brick 1a and Brick 3 :)
    Not sure if you have the same problem that I had(stuck at eee pad screen with no access to recovery). I used fastboot to flash recovery and stock boot.blob to resolve the issue.

Holly Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!

Thank God!!! *Breaths sigh of relief*

Problem/Issue:
    - Was on AOKP Milestone 5.
    - Installed TWRP Recovery via fastboot (over CWM).
    - Made Backup.
    - Installed CM9, played with it for a day or so.
    - Wanted to go back to AOKP... Restored TWRP Backup
    - Upon Reboot, stuck at boot screen (EEE Pad Screen).
    - No recovery, only options were wipe & fastboot
    - Flashing either version of recovery yielded no results... still stuck.

Solution:
    - Download AKOP Rom zip again to computer. (or which ever particular rom you restored).
    - boot into fastboot
    - flash recovery via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img" <--- CWM Touch Version
    - Extract boot.blob from Rom .zip
    - flash boot.blob via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot boot.blob"
    - reboot via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot"

BOOTING UP & Recovery Access!!!
    stuck on Brick options 1a
    adb devices cannot see my device
    does not show up in device manager
    But I do have at other devices "Full Android on Emulator"
    Any Help
    Thanks

Try instaling these drivers here manually please

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426502

Adb should work fine afterwards :)
    Okay I added a 4th brick to the list. It's a variant of the first Brick and it is recoverable :)
    Okay we successfully un-bricked a Brick 3 just now. :)
    Updating the thread tomorrow.