How To | Unlock Booloader | HBOOT S-Off | Flash Recovery | Root | Sensation

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Oh, I thought maybe it's a different cover or model or something. It has a nicer look .:)

I tried the guide and got everything working. :victory: The most difficult part was the wire trick :mad: ( I used a paper clip instead :D). Finding a working link for a Windows version of the Juopunut/ControlBear files was unnecessarily tedious. The authors claim the Windows version is not very reliable, but I used it just fine on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition. :cool: Thanks!

Can I use clockwork mod to make a back up of the stock rom now?
yes you can
but i suggest 4ext recovery instead

Reactions: The5thSurvivor

The5thSurvivor

Feb 2, 2016
New York
yes you can
but i suggest 4ext recovery instead
Alright. But I have the clockwork mod from this guide installed, will that be an issue?. Can I have both 4ext recovery and clockwork mod installed, or is that unnecessary? I just want to make a back up of the stock rom before I attempt doing one of the guides that let's you have the data partition on the sdcard, like this guide here

Also, is it helpful in anyway to remove/uninstall any of the apps the stock rom has? Such as facebook, stocks, youtube, ect...

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Alright. But I have the clockwork mod from this guide installed, will that be an issue?. Can I have both 4ext recovery and clockwork mod installed, or is that unnecessary? I just want to make a back up of the stock rom before I attempt doing one of the guides that let's you have the data partition on the sdcard, like this guide here

Also, is it helpful in anyway to remove/uninstall any of the apps the stock rom has? Such as facebook, stocks, youtube, ect...
it won't be a problem
no you can't have both recoveries, only one
if you aren't using these apps you can remove them with titanium backup
but first make a backup before attempting to remove anything

The5thSurvivor

Feb 2, 2016
New York
it won't be a problem
no you can't have both recoveries, only one
if you aren't using these apps you can remove them with titanium backup
but first make a backup before attempting to remove anything
Alright. After I unlocked the bootloader, did s-off, and permanent rooted the phone, I went to try and download the 4ext recovery. I ran into a big problem. Now that the phone was back to stock, the Google Play Store app doesn't appear to work anymore (Mine was version 3.4.7). Basically when you first launch it it will ask to add an account, then payment info, then say Android Market has been upgraded to Google Play, then ask to accept/decline the agreement. Right after that when the app is supposed to load, it always crashes saying: Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped working." or something along those lines.

I did a search online and people suggested stopping the app, clearing the cache, removing and readding the google account, rebooting, and even wiping the cache and dalvik cache. I did all that and the Google Play Store still didn't work. I even restored the stock rom from cmw and yet still had the same problem. I fixed it by connecting my phone to the PC and manually installing APK Installer through adb command. Then I grabbed a newer version of the Google Play Store from my Nvidia Shield (version 5.5.12) and placed it on my sdcard. I then used APK Installer and installed & overwrite the old Google Play Store with the newer version. Now the play store finally works and I was able to install 4ext recovery. The app also requested that I install Busybox, which I didn't see mentioned anywhere prior.

Now I'll try to flash a new rom. Thanks yet again :D

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

So now Busybox doesn't want to work saying because I may not be properly rooted. I installed root checker to see and verify and it says I'm not not :( I redid the whole permanent root process again, but root checker still says I'm not properly rooted. How can I fix this? :confused:

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Alright. After I unlocked the bootloader, did s-off, and permanent rooted the phone, I went to try and download the 4ext recovery. I ran into a big problem. Now that the phone was back to stock, the Google Play Store app doesn't appear to work anymore (Mine was version 3.4.7). Basically when you first launch it it will ask to add an account, then payment info, then say Android Market has been upgraded to Google Play, then ask to accept/decline the agreement. Right after that when the app is supposed to load, it always crashes saying: Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped working." or something along those lines.

I did a search online and people suggested stopping the app, clearing the cache, removing and readding the google account, rebooting, and even wiping the cache and dalvik cache. I did all that and the Google Play Store still didn't work. I even restored the stock rom from cmw and yet still had the same problem. I fixed it by connecting my phone to the PC and manually installing APK Installer through adb command. Then I grabbed a newer version of the Google Play Store from my Nvidia Shield (version 5.5.12) and placed it on my sdcard. I then used APK Installer and installed & overwrite the old Google Play Store with the newer version. Now the play store finally works and I was able to install 4ext recovery. The app also requested that I install Busybox, which I didn't see mentioned anywhere prior.

Now I'll try to flash a new rom. Thanks yet again :D

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

So now Busybox doesn't want to work saying because I may not be properly rooted. I installed root checker to see and verify and it says I'm not not :( I redid the whole permanent root process again, but root checker still says I'm not properly rooted. How can I fix this? :confused:
take the latest version of 4ext from here
http://d-h.st/rG7
extract the recovery.img and flash it via fastboot
the command is fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

after that flash any custom rom you want
they are all coming pre-rooted

The5thSurvivor

Feb 2, 2016
New York
take the latest version of 4ext from here
http://d-h.st/rG7
extract the recovery.img and flash it via fastboot
the command is fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

after that flash any custom rom you want
they are all coming pre-rooted
Oh wow. I thought it was necessary to install 4EXT Recovery from the Play Store with the stock ROM in order to configure it and then be able to boot into recovery mode so that I wouldn't get the message stating "The recovery hasn't been configured!" I thought it was necessary to configure it within the stock ROM itself first, and then I would be able to flash a new ROM by booting into recovery mode. But I now see that's not the case and I flashed a ROM anyway and it worked. It was even easier that I thought. Thank you :good:

One thing bugs me though. What's the point of this guide including a method to permanent root with the stock ROM if it doesn't work properly? Doesn't that make that step unnecessary since you would end up having installing a custom ROM that has root anyway? Or it it necessary to be able to install you very first custom ROM?

After following the OP guide, I did see Superuser installed with the stock ROM even though Root Checker said the phone wasn't properly rooted.

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Oh wow. I thought it was necessary to install 4EXT Recovery from the Play Store with the stock ROM in order to configure it and then be able to boot into recovery mode so that I wouldn't get the message stating "The recovery hasn't been configured!" I thought it was necessary to configure it within the stock ROM itself first, and then I would be able to flash a new ROM by booting into recovery mode. But I now see that's not the case and I flashed a ROM anyway and it worked. It was even easier that I thought. Thank you :good:

One thing bugs me though. What's the point of this guide including a method to permanent root with the stock ROM if it doesn't work properly? Doesn't that make that step unnecessary since you would end up having installing a custom ROM that has root anyway? Or it it necessary to be able to install you very first custom ROM?

After following the OP guide, I did see Superuser installed with the stock ROM even though Root Checker said the phone wasn't properly rooted.
the root step is only if you want to keep stock rom
also don't pay attention to root checker
always try any app which requires root access to see if root works :)

The5thSurvivor

Feb 2, 2016
New York
the root step is only if you want to keep stock rom
also don't pay attention to root checker
always try any app which requires root access to see if root works :)
I see. In that case the SuperUser in this guide isn't working with the stock ROM because Titanium Backup and Busybox can't get root access.

Edit: Just tried your suggestion from this post. Now it works. Thanks again :good:

Last edited:

The5thSurvivor

Feb 2, 2016
New York
A bit of warning to anyone who wants to follow this guide. BACK UP THE CONTENTS OF YOUR MICROSD CARD FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THE OP! ;)

For my HTC Sensation, by following the guide in the OP (as well as help from members such as rzr86 :highfive:) I was able to successfully unlock the boot loader, set s-off, flash a new recovery, and get permanent root. Not to mention as well as being able to easily flash custom ROMs. :D

Since I seem to have the hang of it, yesterday I tried doing the same for my girlfriend's Sensation. Everything worked, but something went wrong. :( After doing the wire trick (which worked) I was then going to remove the temp root and that's when I saw the phone no longer recognized the 8GB microsd (unable to determine filesystem type). I didn't remove or touch the card while doing the wire trick. After removing the temp root and flashing the new recovery, I took the microsd card out of the phone and placed it in a card reader on my laptop. Windows said the card needed to be formatted :mad:. Before doing anything to the card, I followed a guide mentioned here. The card was saying it only had 128KB total capacity :eek:, when it should have been 8GB (or 7.90GB or something along those lines). My instincts told me to back up her stuff on the card before doing anything to her phone since she didn't have backups of anything on the card. Fortunately, I backed up her contacts, text messages, calendar, notes, ringtones, and documents. :) But what I didn't backup was her videos and pictures, mainly because I didn't back up anything on my Sensation when I had followed the OP guide and my microsd card was fine after the whole procedure. So I thought it would be pointless to back up the pics and vids on my girlfriend's microsd card since everything went fine for me. I thought it would be fine for her phone too, but boy was I wrong. :( Now I wish I did back up the pictures and videos. I'm pretty sure the files are still on the card though. Just now have to spend time trying to recover them.

Reactions: rzr86

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
A bit of warning to anyone who wants to follow this guide. BACK UP THE CONTENTS OF YOUR MICROSD CARD FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THE OP! ;)

For my HTC Sensation, by following the guide in the OP (as well as help from members such as rzr86 :highfive:) I was able to successfully unlock the boot loader, set s-off, flash a new recovery, and get permanent root. Not to mention as well as being able to easily flash custom ROMs. :D

Since I seem to have the hang of it, yesterday I tried doing the same for my girlfriend's Sensation. Everything worked, but something went wrong. :( After doing the wire trick (which worked) I was then going to remove the temp root and that's when I saw the phone no longer recognized the 8GB microsd (unable to determine filesystem type). I didn't remove or touch the card while doing the wire trick. After removing the temp root and flashing the new recovery, I took the microsd card out of the phone and placed it in a card reader on my laptop. Windows said the card needed to be formatted :mad:. Before doing anything to the card, I followed a guide mentioned here. The card was saying it only had 128KB total capacity :eek:, when it should have been 8GB (or 7.90GB or something along those lines). My instincts told me to back up her stuff on the card before doing anything to her phone since she didn't have backups of anything on the card. Fortunately, I backed up her contacts, text messages, calendar, notes, ringtones, and documents. :) But what I didn't backup was her videos and pictures, mainly because I didn't back up anything on my Sensation when I had followed the OP guide and my microsd card was fine after the whole procedure. So I thought it would be pointless to back up the pics and vids on my girlfriend's microsd card since everything went fine for me. I thought it would be fine for her phone too, but boy was I wrong. :( Now I wish I did back up the pictures and videos. I'm pretty sure the files are still on the card though. Just now have to spend time trying to recover them.
AFAIK it has been mentioned about sdcard since from the beggining of S-OFF guides
and many users had to backup their stuff before starting the procedure