How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Lg G8x (Video Guide)

Search This thread

bambi007

Apr 14, 2010
Hi to all, I need help with my Thinq G8x. I unlocked bootloader, installed magisk and all was fine for 3 weeks. Now I made a reboot and i am stuck at the LG logo, which is spinning. I can press "power" + "volDwn" and it restarts but always stuck at LG.

I also can enter EDL mode sucessfully and start the partition manager.
I reflashed abl_a and abl_b and also BootA and BootB, but I still have a spinning LG " Life´s Good".
What can I do ?
Maybe it did an ota update without my knowledge? I was on 10d when I did all the unlocking.
UPdate1:
When flashing the original boot_a and boot_b phone boots again.
I then patched via magisk (20005) the both img files and reflashed them via QFIL but then I have again the boot stuck in LG Logo.
So it seems as soon as I use the magisk boot files I can not boot anymore. Maybe a bug with magisk 20005?
Update2:
Also with 22.0 apk Magisk and Patching I can not get it to boot again.
I do have to patch boot_a and boot_b, right ?
or just the one slot which is active?

Last edited:

codelad

May 2, 2014
Stuck with a very unstable phone with no network, and hoping someone could help me. This is how it went:

1. Started with a stock V20e-IND-xx and was able to successfully unlock bootloader and root with Magisk. So far so good.

2. The very next day I was stuck with the spinning LG logo. It could be that I disabled an essential system app.

3. Had no choice but to install stock firmware kdz via LGUP. This is where I made a huge mistake - I could not find the V20e-IND kdz file anywhere installed the V20b-IND-xx variant.

4. Now I'm stuck with no network, unable to fastboot, etc. Tried restoring the original V20e abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, boot_b files, but still stuck with the same problems.

One possible fix I believe would be to install the V20e stock firmware via LGUP. But I cannot find it anywhere. Would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

Magichost

Apr 12, 2021
I think I still have my 20f abl files for my sprint model. You can attempt use them if you still need them.
I have LG G8x (lm-g850um firmware 20f). Can this model be rooted and still have widevine and safetynet and have the phone completely work? If so can you give me instructions on how to do this? I'm going to try to root using Android to Android OTG usb using ADB client app to issue fastboot commands. I don't have a Windows PC. I bought my phone carrier unlocked but I'm not sure if the bootloader is unlocked.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
I have LG G8x (lm-g850um firmware 20f). Can this model be rooted and still have widevine and safetynet and have the phone completely work? If so can you give me instructions on how to do this? I'm going to try to root using Android to Android OTG usb using ADB client app to issue fastboot commands. I don't have a Windows PC. I bought my phone carrier unlocked but I'm not sure if the bootloader is unlocked.
I've only bootloader unlocked the device using the provided files everyone has used in order to do that. I never loaded my original abl files back though because when I unlocked nothing was broken plus t-mobile carrier provisioning took over and I have wifi calling, volte, rcs etc. So I left it for now. I've not applied root access or anything like that because twrp was required and last I checked it was not available publicly.

Magichost

Apr 12, 2021
I've only bootloader unlocked the device using the provided files everyone has used in order to do that. I never loaded my original abl files back though because when I unlocked nothing was broken plus t-mobile carrier provisioning took over and I have wifi calling, volte, rcs etc. So I left it for now. I've not applied root access or anything like that because twrp was required and last I checked it was not available publicly.
Yeah I think LG encrypted the bootloader. And we have to find a way to install TWRP to keep safetynet and widevine to root the phone or we cannot use any movie apps like Netflix or Google apps because of DRM built into the bootloader. I understand the root is less than perfect right now for those that try it. Have you heard any rumors when they might have a TWRP image available? Thanks for your timely reply.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
Yeah I think LG encrypted the bootloader. And we have to find a way to install TWRP to keep safetynet and widevine to root the phone or we cannot use any movie apps like Netflix or Google apps because of DRM built into the bootloader. I understand the root is less than perfect right now for those that try it. Have you heard any rumors when they might have a TWRP image available? Thanks for your timely reply.
I have not heard anything. For Netflix etc, I simply download the relevant apk install it so that I can use the service I pay for...

Stuck with a very unstable phone with no network, and hoping someone could help me. This is how it went:

1. Started with a stock V20e-IND-xx and was able to successfully unlock bootloader and root with Magisk. So far so good.

2. The very next day I was stuck with the spinning LG logo. It could be that I disabled an essential system app.

3. Had no choice but to install stock firmware kdz via LGUP. This is where I made a huge mistake - I could not find the V20e-IND kdz file anywhere installed the V20b-IND-xx variant.

4. Now I'm stuck with no network, unable to fastboot, etc. Tried restoring the original V20e abl_a, abl_b, boot_a, boot_b files, but still stuck with the same problems.

One possible fix I believe would be to install the V20e stock firmware via LGUP. But I cannot find it anywhere. Would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.
Go blindly with the above. Suits for INV as well as IND. You're from India, right?

Reactions: codelad

zdanee

Sep 27, 2012
Hi guys! I have an EU version V20g. I haven't seen this model number in any of the guides, but my understanding is if I try it with the method for the other variant's it's very likely to end up as a brick. Have anyone successfully rooted a V20g variant?

zdanee

Sep 27, 2012
@[email protected] I jumped the gun and did it on a V20g EU variant anyway. The root itself works, but sure enough the audio and FP does not. Attached boot_a, would be great if you could help!

Attachments

• boot_a_ReadData_ufs_Lun4_0x1470a_Len24576_DT_06_05_2021_17_10_48.bin
    96 MB · Views: 0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go blindly with the above. Suits for INV as well as IND. You're from India, right?
    All fix avilable (no network solved)

Watch it carefully
    do it step by step as showen in my video you will never brick if you follow my video :):love:

All required files are in the video description

This guide Tested on the firmware (20e ,20c,20d) (if you didn't see your firmware don't worry leave a command , I will help you ! )

How to check the frimware:
    * Go to Settings - >System -> About phone -> sofware version ( eg: V20e-IND-XX so use 20e rootboot file)

All required files are in the video description

watch it in 720p only 40 mb

subscribe for more lg g8x content !!!
    (y)

If any issue let me know i will help you with that:)
    Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Didn't notice the Indian variant on Magisk in the Root guide, and ended up with an unusable phone.

You say boot_a image stock, do you mean from before the whole process? I unfortunately didn't back up this particular partition..

Boot.zip contains the boot.img file pulled from the kdz of the US G850 20b.I don't know if this is useful, but I got it...

ReadData_.ufs_Lun4_...... is the boot_a file pulled from my phone after I turned it into a buggy mess 😅 I also don't know if this helps, but I do need help getting my phone working again if you'd be so kind. This is NOT the boot_b flashed as boot_a like mentioned in the video.
    The one you provided was not help ,Give me the stock boot_a img (download the whole kdz and extract the boot_a.img)
    Yes it works on sprint. I did it on 20j the latest update. I disabled zram and am using a 3G swap file with swappiness of 8... So it's only used when memory is low. Works great!

Once you're in magisk make sure to install this zip to clear safety net for Google play. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-8
    Edxposed modules would make me fail so I ended up just using magisk

There's also a turbo charging script which let's the phone charge fast even when the screen is on! I can't find the thread so here's the zip attached for that. No issues with heat... And anyway it'll automatically throttle if the phone is hot. Better than always limiting the speed to 1000ma while screen on!

Also, stay away from ktweak, it made me lose my data once due to reboots. I still use some of the mods from that script, see attached file if interested.

My swap script is in tasker , started by a boot profile
    but you can see how it's done by looking at the xml... And make your own script, or you can use apps2sd, but other swap apps were problematic for me.
    Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me
    Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me
    I couldnt find any KDZ for sprint.. just a generic canada 20e image.
    Follow the steps to unlock bootloader. flashing their file to abl a and b.. then flash back your abl A and abl B backups. Also backup the boot a and B for later to patch for magisk.
    Read the multiple guides to be sure you got the sequence right. Theres a few threads, see below for the links
    Find out which partition is in use - my case _B. Back in android, install magisk manager and use that to patch the boot_B in my case. Go back to qualcomm mode and flash the boot img onto your phone. Voila!

You will lose all data which was mentioned.

Bootloader unlock threads, not including this one.

And this one for bootloader and then root
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone