• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Lg G8x (Video Guide)

Search This thread

V0lat1leCr0$$

Oct 11, 2020
I did 20j sprint yesterday.
The hardest part was to get into EDL.
Where are you stuck?
BTW, does anyone have the twrp bin for these phones? I can't find a working link. I just want to boot into twrp temporary to do a system image.
i have a 20j but for the life of me cant get to the point where im actually able to see the contents of the partition, can you help me lol

robnitro

Feb 21, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
i have a 20j but for the life of me cant get to the point where im actually able to see the contents of the partition, can you help me lol
I remember that I had issues with the qualcomm software not seeing the device on windows 10, so I used my older PC with windows 7 x64 and the list worked there.

Perhaps you can use a VM, or mess around with the right click compatibility options of the program to get it to work.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
I've only bootloader unlocked the device using the provided files everyone has used in order to do that. I never loaded my original abl files back though because when I unlocked nothing was broken plus t-mobile carrier provisioning took over and I have wifi calling, volte, rcs etc. So I left it for now. I've not applied root access or anything like that because twrp was required and last I checked it was not available publicly.

So all you did was unlock the BL, nothing else, and the phone provisioned for T-Mobile? Did you test to make sure VoLTE works?

I have Sprint on 20p. Wondering if that will work for me. T-Mo VoLTE definitely doesn't work for me. Drops to 3G when I make a call. Anyone else try it on a Sprint phone?

EDIT: Not on 20o any more, auto-updated to 20p.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
So all you did was unlock the BL, nothing else, and the phone provisioned for T-Mobile? Did you test to make sure VoLTE works?

I have Sprint on 20o. Wondering if that will work for me. T-Mo VoLTE definitely doesn't work for me. Drops to 3G when I make a call. Anyone else try it on a Sprint phone?
Yeah all worked. Wifi calling rcs everything. I get the t-mobile splash screen and all. As the instructions state you put the abl file of old back, the old one when I did replace it back I get back my sprint settings/etc. So I have it there and since I did not have issues and used the phone as a spare whenever I switch it is fine.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com

I have Sprint on 20o. Wondering if that will work for me. T-Mo VoLTE definitely doesn't work for me. Drops to 3G when I make a call. Anyone else try it on a Sprint phone?
The one thing I will say about this phone is when I bought it was Sprint locked. And I sim unlocked it myself some how using both a sprint sim and t-mobile sim. I initially tried a t-mobile sim and it would not give any unlock method in the settings. I have an old sprint sim and when I inserted it the simunlock option was in the system settings. I did this all in a matter of minutes because I wanted to sim unlock it before BL unlocking. After I sim unlocked I removed all sims BL unlocked it and before I replaced the ABL file as it was rebooting the t-mobile splash screen appeared instead. I thought, that is weird, let me try my t-mobile sim now..and sure enough. I used it for a while to test all was good. And I tried to put the abl file back and it switched back to Sprint provisioning and lost all my network goodies. So since then have put the exploited abl file there and left it. Hope this helps..I did not want to dig and make sense of exactly what happened. I have since moved on from dissecting mobile phones to car audio....so I spend the least amount of time looking at my phone as possible.

Reactions: GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks, @nate0. I might have to give it a go, though a bit uneasy to try on 20p since that version seems to be uncharted territory.

EDIT: Not on 20o any more, auto-updated to 20p.

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
@nate0, thanks again for mentioning how your Sprint phone turned into a T-Mobile phone. Simply replaced abl_a and abl_b with the modded abl_a file and now my Sprint phone on 20p thinks it's a T-Mobile phone. VoLTE works on TMO and none of the Sprint bloatware showed up after a factory reset and all references to CDMA (like PRL, UICC Unlock, etc) are gone from the settings. Looks like the brand identity is mostly in the abl file.

Only oddity I've found so far is every time it's booted up, it'll pop up: "WARNING Current version is not available for user. Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" Touch the background and the popup goes away. It's pretty inconsequential so I can live with that.

Reactions: nate0

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
@nate0, thanks again for mentioning how your Sprint phone turned into a T-Mobile phone. Simply replaced abl_a and abl_b with the modded abl_a file and now my Sprint phone on 20p thinks it's a T-Mobile phone. VoLTE works on TMO and none of the Sprint bloatware showed up after a factory reset and all references to CDMA (like PRL, UICC Unlock, etc) are gone from the settings. Looks like the brand identity is mostly in the abl file.

Only oddity I've found so far is every time it's booted up, it'll pop up: "WARNING Current version is not available for user. Can't find matched carrier. Check NT-Code: 0" Touch the background and the popup goes away. It's pretty inconsequential so I can live with that.
Yeah. I might have had that at one point I cannot remember but simply use ADB and uninstall the service that controls that I think if you want.

adarkk

Oct 12, 2021
can someone upload abl.a abl.b from a non - locked phone ? i need the backups to try some thing....

Last edited:

adarkk

Oct 12, 2021
so my dear frend ,the reason why am i an idiot is unown, but I found out that another abl mod can just simple get your phone in brick . and so what do we do in this case just
(remove the battery and clamp the test point)

1 removing the phone cover
photo_2021-10-13_16-17-30.jpg

2 .emove all attachments
photo_2021-10-13_16-17-32.jpg

3.(connect to pc with usb )remove the battery (1)and clamp the test point(2)
photo_2021-10-13_16-17-25.jpg

then u wall be in edl mode (just load u backups bak or an normal abl for lg g8x)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The one thing I will say about this phone is when I bought it was Sprint locked. And I sim unlocked it myself some how using both a sprint sim and t-mobile sim. I initially tried a t-mobile sim and it would not give any unlock method in the settings. I have an old sprint sim and when I inserted it the simunlock option was in the system settings. I did this all in a matter of minutes because I wanted to sim unlock it before BL unlocking. After I sim unlocked I removed all sims BL unlocked it and before I replaced the ABL file as it was rebooting the t-mobile splash screen appeared instead. I thought, that is weird, let me try my t-mobile sim now..and sure enough. I used it for a while to test all was good. And I tried to put the abl file back and it switched back to Sprint provisioning and lost all my network goodies. So since then have put the exploited abl file there and left it. Hope this helps..I did not want to dig and make sense of exactly what happened. I have since moved on from dissecting mobile phones to car audio....so I spend the least amount of time looking at my phone as possible.

can someone upload abl.a abl.b from a non - locked phone ? i need the backups to try some thing....

I can upload them from an unlocked Sprint phone, but the Sprint ones are definitely more restrictive as it has less HiddenMenu features and VoLTE only works on Sprint and Verizon.
    If you want 'em, let me know.
    All fix avilable (no network solved)

Watch it carefully
    do it step by step as showen in my video you will never brick if you follow my video :):love:

All required files are in the video description

This guide Tested on the firmware (20e ,20c,20d) (if you didn't see your firmware don't worry leave a command , I will help you ! )

How to check the frimware:
    * Go to Settings - >System -> About phone -> sofware version ( eg: V20e-IND-XX so use 20e rootboot file)

All required files are in the video description

watch it in 720p only 40 mb

subscribe for more lg g8x content !!!
    (y)

If any issue let me know i will help you with that:)
    Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Didn't notice the Indian variant on Magisk in the Root guide, and ended up with an unusable phone.

You say boot_a image stock, do you mean from before the whole process? I unfortunately didn't back up this particular partition..

Boot.zip contains the boot.img file pulled from the kdz of the US G850 20b.I don't know if this is useful, but I got it...

ReadData_.ufs_Lun4_...... is the boot_a file pulled from my phone after I turned it into a buggy mess 😅 I also don't know if this helps, but I do need help getting my phone working again if you'd be so kind. This is NOT the boot_b flashed as boot_a like mentioned in the video.
    The one you provided was not help ,Give me the stock boot_a img (download the whole kdz and extract the boot_a.img)
    Yes it works on sprint. I did it on 20j the latest update. I disabled zram and am using a 3G swap file with swappiness of 8... So it's only used when memory is low. Works great!

Once you're in magisk make sure to install this zip to clear safety net for Google play. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-8
    Edxposed modules would make me fail so I ended up just using magisk

There's also a turbo charging script which let's the phone charge fast even when the screen is on! I can't find the thread so here's the zip attached for that. No issues with heat... And anyway it'll automatically throttle if the phone is hot. Better than always limiting the speed to 1000ma while screen on!

Also, stay away from ktweak, it made me lose my data once due to reboots. I still use some of the mods from that script, see attached file if interested.

My swap script is in tasker , started by a boot profile
    but you can see how it's done by looking at the xml... And make your own script, or you can use apps2sd, but other swap apps were problematic for me.
    Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me
    Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me
    I couldnt find any KDZ for sprint.. just a generic canada 20e image.
    Follow the steps to unlock bootloader. flashing their file to abl a and b.. then flash back your abl A and abl B backups. Also backup the boot a and B for later to patch for magisk.
    Read the multiple guides to be sure you got the sequence right. Theres a few threads, see below for the links
    Find out which partition is in use - my case _B. Back in android, install magisk manager and use that to patch the boot_B in my case. Go back to qualcomm mode and flash the boot img onto your phone. Voila!

You will lose all data which was mentioned.

Bootloader unlock threads, not including this one.

And this one for bootloader and then root