How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Lg G8x + (also a Video Guide)

Search This thread

robnitro

Feb 21, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yes it works on sprint. I did it on 20j the latest update. I disabled zram and am using a 3G swap file with swappiness of 8... So it's only used when memory is low. Works great!

Once you're in magisk make sure to install this zip to clear safety net for Google play. https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-8
Edxposed modules would make me fail so I ended up just using magisk

There's also a turbo charging script which let's the phone charge fast even when the screen is on! I can't find the thread so here's the zip attached for that. No issues with heat... And anyway it'll automatically throttle if the phone is hot. Better than always limiting the speed to 1000ma while screen on!

Also, stay away from ktweak, it made me lose my data once due to reboots. I still use some of the mods from that script, see attached file if interested.

My swap script is in tasker , started by a boot profile
but you can see how it's done by looking at the xml... And make your own script, or you can use apps2sd, but other swap apps were problematic for me.

Does this work for the us sprint version? I just don't want to brick my phone trying

Attachments

• _FastChargingByNotZeetaa(Turbo_Version).zip
    5 KB · Views: 41
  • Ktweakforg8x.sh.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Swapmake.tsk.xml
    4 KB · Views: 27
Jan 18, 2016
Yes it works on sprint. I did it on 20j the latest update. I disabled zram and am using a 3G swap file with swappiness of 8... So it's only used when memory is low. Works great!

Once you're in magisk make sure to install this zip to clear safety net for Google play. https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-8
Edxposed modules would make me fail so I ended up just using magisk

There's also a turbo charging script which let's the phone charge fast even when the screen is on! I can't find the thread so here's the zip attached for that. No issues with heat... And anyway it'll automatically throttle if the phone is hot. Better than always limiting the speed to 1000ma while screen on!

Also, stay away from ktweak, it made me lose my data once due to reboots. I still use some of the mods from that script, see attached file if interested.

My swap script is in tasker , started by a boot profile
but you can see how it's done by looking at the xml... And make your own script, or you can use apps2sd, but other swap apps were problematic for me.
Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me

Last edited:
Reactions: Dapeplezchamp

robnitro

Feb 21, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Samsung Galaxy S21
Hello thanks for your response. I just wanna make sure before I attempt this on 20J sprint. You were able to follow this guide with all the same files? didn't need to substitute anything? Like won't we need to find the Boot.img of our specific rom (20j) and magisk patch it? then the rest of the files should work fine right? Can't find 20j firmware for the life of me
I couldnt find any KDZ for sprint.. just a generic canada 20e image.
Follow the steps to unlock bootloader. flashing their file to abl a and b.. then flash back your abl A and abl B backups. Also backup the boot a and B for later to patch for magisk.
Read the multiple guides to be sure you got the sequence right. Theres a few threads, see below for the links
Find out which partition is in use - my case _B. Back in android, install magisk manager and use that to patch the boot_B in my case. Go back to qualcomm mode and flash the boot img onto your phone. Voila!

You will lose all data which was mentioned.

Bootloader unlock threads, not including this one.

And this one for bootloader and then root

Reactions: nitrosbacksh94
Jan 18, 2016
I couldnt find any KDZ for sprint.. just a generic canada 20e image.
Follow the steps to unlock bootloader. flashing their file to abl a and b.. then flash back your abl A and abl B backups. Also backup the boot a and B for later to patch for magisk.
Read the multiple guides to be sure you got the sequence right. Theres a few threads, see below for the links
Find out which partition is in use - my case _B. Back in android, install magisk manager and use that to patch the boot_B in my case. Go back to qualcomm mode and flash the boot img onto your phone. Voila!

You will lose all data which was mentioned.

Bootloader unlock threads, not including this one.

And this one for bootloader and then root
Thanks for the reply. I'm mid process now. Can't get the phone to show up with 'fastboot devices' in command prompt. Installed the included drivers, have no idea what to try now, any ideas?

Jan 18, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I'm mid process now. Can't get the phone to show up with 'fastboot devices' in command prompt. Installed the included drivers, have no idea what to try now, any ideas?
figured it out, even though I installed ADB and fastboot drivers the phone was still showing up in device manager as 'Android" with a yellow triangle. I fixed this by right clicking to properties, update driver, click 'browse my computer for drivers' then 'let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer'. Look for 'Android Device' and select it. Now there should be a list of 'Android' and 'ADB' drivers, search for 'Android bootloader interface' and select this as your driver. Now I can proceed and my G8X appears with 'fastboot devices'

erandjazaj

May 5, 2020
I own a LG G8x Sprint fw model with SW version g850um20f build qkq1.200216.002 with April Security patch. I unlocked the bootloader with this method after I sim unlocked it today. Interestingly I have now a T-mobile splash screen perhaps because I tested the sim unlock with my t-mobile sim? Either way it provisioned all the T-mobile operator software so it got rid of all the Sprint garbage and loaded volte wifi calling etc...I have yet to test all the features but it did it all for me after the factory reset happens when the boot loader unlocks. I did not load the original abl_a abl_b backup files back to the device. Was the patched abl file a US model dump?
Hello, can you please provide the abl file

erandjazaj

May 5, 2020
You didn't back them up according to the guide? Check your comport folder in qfil.
What version were you on sprint? I'm on the 20j... So my files may not work for you
Thanks for reply. I was 20f version on Sprint. I didn't do backups, only abl_a, not abl_b and boot a/b. I messed up the all thing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All fix avilable (no network solved)

Watch it carefully
    do it step by step as showen in my video you will never brick if you follow my video :):love:

All required files are in the video description

This guide Tested on the firmware (20e ,20c,20d) (if you didn't see your firmware don't worry leave a command , I will help you ! )

How to check the frimware:
    * Go to Settings - >System -> About phone -> sofware version ( eg: V20e-IND-XX so use 20e rootboot file)

All required files are in the video description

watch it in 720p only 40 mb

subscribe for more lg g8x content !!!
    (y)

If any issue let me know i will help you with that:)
    looks like your device is not a 20e firmware (audio not work,cant make a call ,ui crash) i will help you to root just share the boot_a img (stock)

Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Didn't notice the Indian variant on Magisk in the Root guide, and ended up with an unusable phone.

You say boot_a image stock, do you mean from before the whole process? I unfortunately didn't back up this particular partition..

Boot.zip contains the boot.img file pulled from the kdz of the US G850 20b.I don't know if this is useful, but I got it...

ReadData_.ufs_Lun4_...... is the boot_a file pulled from my phone after I turned it into a buggy mess 😅 I also don't know if this helps, but I do need help getting my phone working again if you'd be so kind. This is NOT the boot_b flashed as boot_a like mentioned in the video.
    Hello,

I have the exact same issues. Didn't notice the Indian variant on Magisk in the Root guide, and ended up with an unusable phone.

You say boot_a image stock, do you mean from before the whole process? I unfortunately didn't back up this particular partition..

Boot.zip contains the boot.img file pulled from the kdz of the US G850 20b.I don't know if this is useful, but I got it...

ReadData_.ufs_Lun4_...... is the boot_a file pulled from my phone after I turned it into a buggy mess 😅 I also don't know if this helps, but I do need help getting my phone working again if you'd be so kind. This is NOT the boot_b flashed as boot_a like mentioned in the video.
    The one you provided was not help ,Give me the stock boot_a img (download the whole kdz and extract the boot_a.img)
    Thank you, here is the boot_a.img

EDIT: I have potentially good news! I was completely stuck in a boot loop, but using the files from the KDZ (modem_a, modem_b, boot_a,boot_b, abl_a, and abl_b) and pushed them each with fastboot. The device restarted (with sound!) and it is resetting to stock now. We'll see what happens!