• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to unlock bootloader and root the LG Stylo 6 and K51 K61 and other K model LG devices

Search This thread

cryptojoe37

Nov 2, 2021
KC, MO
how do I fit a 58.2 gb. full backup of my phone onto my stylo 6 phone to patch it with magisk when the hard drive is not that big?? I need an sd card?

kingrise

Feb 4, 2014
how do I fit a 58.2 gb. full backup of my phone onto my stylo 6 phone to patch it with magisk when the hard drive is not that big?? I need an sd card?
The file says boot_a and stores in the MTK folder {where you opened the powershell} it's only 40mb in size. Transfer that to your downloads folder in your phone then open Magisk and look for it when you install and use the app {it will ask you for a file} then it will name it "patched file 12345" that file you then move it back to the MTK file and change its name to patched_a or patched_b DON'T MIX THEM UP. And all should be done. Unless you use adb then you would have to move it to the adb folder. But if you don't have, and have never used ADB then stick with MTK for less confusion.

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
i successfully unlocked the bootloader- which is great- but having a litlle trouble with rootiing. i think did what the tutorial says but there is not much info to follow. could you reply a more detailed process for me to follow on installing Magisk and flashing boot.img, please.

Hey guys sorry, need a busy day, but thank you kingrise for that response he describes how to use magisk. This tutorial is not for the newbies, it requires a lil knowledge of adb commands at the least, and if you figured it out without any experience I give you props, my tutorial has alot of steps, mainly because mtkclient is a newer developer tool that is confusing for a user that isn't familiar with it, I can get back on TeamViewer tonight if I need to help anyone out again, but I prefer that you figure it out for your self as this is a feat to be proud of doing on your own and a good learning experience as this process unlocks many many recently unlockable devices, which means we are starting the development of these devices before the actual big time developers can, I hoping some of them jump in and help out with twrp and custom roms

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
YES! Custom Recovery and ROMS and Kernels and all that stuff is needed for stylo 6 , I finally accomplished ROOT access which makes me happy after several attemps. Thank you for process WARLOCk

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
HELP HELP BOOTLOOP
Son ofa *****!!!!!!!!!! Magisk wasnt passsing the safety test thingy so i watched a vid and followed their process of downloading and installing "magisk prods??, and busybox" from within magisk itself...anyway after install i hit REBOOT and im stck in BOOTLOOP!!!!

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
HELP HELP BOOTLOOP
Son ofa *****!!!!!!!!!! Magisk wasnt passsing the safety test thingy so i watched a vid and followed their process of downloading and installing "magisk prods??, and busybox" from within magisk itself...anyway after install i hit REBOOT and im stck in BOOTLOOP!!!!
I cant do anythingbut factory reset...which takes me back to BOOTLOOP

Your gonna have to restore a backup or reflash your system.img that's why I warned to be very careful with mods. I wish I was allowed to post my discord link so that all of my groups research could be easily available for anyone with issues. Because I'm pretty sure one of the members had solved this issue

I made another edit to my tutorial to suggest a full backup directly after rooting so this process doesn't need to be repeated, hopefully holding power and volume down until recovery boots works and you can power down your device to get back into brom, if not then the back will most likely need to be removed and the battery disconnected unless you can get the timing down to force reboot with power and volume down and plugging the device in right when it reboots

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
I made another edit to my tutorial to suggest a full backup directly after rooting so this process doesn't need to be repeated, hopefully holding power and volume down until recovery boots works and you can power down your device to get back into brom, if not then the back will most likely need to be removed and the battery disconnected unless you can get the timing down to force reboot with power and volume down and plugging the device in right when it reboots
volume down and power take me to the factory reset option...it seems to run and then goes back to the boot loop

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
i can remove the back because i have done it a few times ..if i do that what should i do once i put the battery back??

i can remove the back because i have done it a few times ..if i do that what should i do once i put the battery back??
I'm glad my tricks worked to get your phone into firmware download mode or recovery and then powered off to end the bootloop and allow you to get connected to Mtkclient to restore your backup, for others in a never ending bootloop you hold power and volume down for about 8 seconds until the phone says booting recovery, from there you can power it off, if that doesn't work because your bootloop is going too fast you gotta have good timing and when the phone reboots you gotta plug it in to the computer while holding volume up and that goes to firmware download mode where you can flash a kdz firmware file or unplug the phone and tap power and volume down atbthe same time to power off the device and then you can bring up Mtkclient and run the backup install commands in my tutorial. Bootloop fixed, this can also work for bricked devices, if someone completely hard bricks their device or even formats it I will write up another tutorial with the files to flash in sp flash tool to bring your phone back to working condition.

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
Has anyone unlocked their bootloader and rooted with my instructions yet?
I have COMPLETED the entire tutorial for the second time, However tonight i will be making the "rootedflash.bin" backup. This process worked 100% for my TMobile Stylo 6 but if i could give any advice to noobs like me it would be,
1. The SP Flash Tool will FAIL and it is supposed to, it is only used to make the connection to MTKclient.
2. The MTK client PowerShell window usually doesnt have to be messed with at all after you have entered a command and pressed enter, but the SP Flash Tool has to have "DownLoad" clicked on ever failed attempt.
3. Get used to clicking "Download" on SP Tool, then clicking over to powershell and then plugging in USB cord. it takes a few and sometimes several tries
4. you can leave the usb plugged in for a couple seconds but try to get good at unplugging just in time BEFORE your phone boots back up...this will save you time.
5. It helped me to periodically go into my file explorer and right click on the "DKusb driver" that you download and install at the beginning of the process and clicking to install it or repair it again in between failed attempts to connect to MTK
6. It will also help to restart computer occasionallly and even start over and install everything again.
7. MOST important--DO NOT GET IMPATIENT--and decide to unlock bootloader and root with out making those Back ups, take the time to make all back ups thruoghout the process....you will be glad you did.
FINALLY-- WARLOCKGUITARMAN -- has done an excellent job at making his first tutorial and ALL the steps are there and in correct order, if you follow his guide precisely you will be enjoying a fully rooted and unlocked Bootloader and any version Stylo 6 and other mediatech devices.

I have COMPLETED the entire tutorial for the second time, However tonight i will be making the "rootedflash.bin" backup. This process worked 100% for my TMobile Stylo 6 but if i could give any advice to noobs like me it would be,
1. The SP Flash Tool will FAIL and it is supposed to, it is only used to make the connection to MTKclient.
2. The MTK client PowerShell window usually doesnt have to be messed with at all after you have entered a command and pressed enter, but the SP Flash Tool has to have "DownLoad" clicked on ever failed attempt.
3. Get used to clicking "Download" on SP Tool, then clicking over to powershell and then plugging in USB cord. it takes a few and sometimes several tries
4. you can leave the usb plugged in for a couple seconds but try to get good at unplugging just in time BEFORE your phone boots back up...this will save you time.
5. It helped me to periodically go into my file explorer and right click on the "DKusb driver" that you download and install at the beginning of the process and clicking to install it or repair it again in between failed attempts to connect to MTK
6. It will also help to restart computer occasionallly and even start over and install everything again.
7. MOST important--DO NOT GET IMPATIENT--and decide to unlock bootloader and root with out making those Back ups, take the time to make all back ups thruoghout the process....you will be glad you did.
FINALLY-- WARLOCKGUITARMAN -- has done an excellent job at making his first tutorial and ALL the steps are there and in correct order, if you follow his guide precisely you will be enjoying a fully rooted and unlocked Bootloader and any version Stylo 6 and other mediatech devices.
Thanx for the advice above, I may add a few of your comments to my tutorial, I just hate to keep making it longer and longer, but yea I waited about an extra month to release this tutorial so that I could help people in my group unlock their devices to get all the bugs worked out and to make sure I covered all steps fully and addressed any problems that could arise.

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
Thanx for the advice above, I may add a few of your comments to my tutorial, I just hate to keep making it longer and longer, but yea I waited about an extra month to release this tutorial so that I could help people in my group unlock their devices to get all the bugs worked out and to make sure I covered all steps fully and addressed any problems that could arise.
oh its most likely not even nesseccary to add any steps to your tutorial...i was mainly posting it just for folks like me who are reading and trying to figure it out. hopefully they are scrolling through the thread like i did and if so then that might help someone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to give a quick thanks! Not gonna lie tryin to connect to mtk was a b***ch, definitely pissed me off but as long as you stick with it it's 100% possible to achieve root with an unlocked bootloader. Couldn't of done it without you. Thanks again man!!!
    Too hard to do, lots of errors happen, driver mtk, python....
    I'll help you out if you want to help me with a few files, I'm sure you got a usb redirect and TeamViewer I'll get your stylo 6 up and running
    STYLO 6 MTKCLIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLASHING, BACKING UP, UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, AND ROOTING ON WINDOWS 10/11:

!!!WARNING!!! ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, READ THE FULL TUTORIAL BEFORE YOU START!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED DEVICES! THIS PROCESS IS NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED PLEASE HAVE ADB COMMANDS KNOWLEDGE BEFORE TRYING TO ATTEMPT!!

THIS PROCESS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA SO BE PREPARED FOR THE FACTORY RESET TO BE FORCED BEFORE YOU CAN BOOT THE PHONE!!!

DOWNLOADS:
    1. Download Python from here "https://www.python.org/downloads/"
    2. Download USBDK here "https://github.com/daynix/UsbDk/releases/download/v1.00-22/UsbDk_1.0.22_x64.msi"
    3. Download mtkclient here "https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient"
    4. Download SP Flash Tool here "https://www.mediafire.com/file/kyoksq6kncpg8sg/SP_Flash_Tool_v5.2124_Win.zip/file"
    5. Download Magisk APK here "https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases"

INSTALLATION:
    1. Install Python (select "Add Python X.X to PATH")
    2. Install USBDK
    3. Install Mtkclient- While in the mtkclient folder hold shift and right click and select "Open PowerShell window here" Run this command in that window "python setup.py install" and then run command "pip3 install -r requirements.txt" Mtkclient is now installed correctly.
    4. Install SP Flash Tool and use the Scatter file I provided and the preloader file I provided.
    5. MTK VCOM Drivers need to be installed.

NEED TO KNOW:
    ***For the Stylo 6 to connect you must remove some of the loaders from the mtkclient-main\mtkclient\Loader file leaving MTK_AllInOne_DA_5.2136.bin as the only loader needed. Just highlight the unneeded ones and cut and paste them into the parent folder so you will have them for other devices.

***To run a command you will need to hold shift and right click to open a PowerShell window to use the tool.

***With Mtkclient waiting for the phone to be connected by hitting enter with your command entered, you will also need to click "Download" in SP Flash Tool to cause it to be waiting for the phones connection.

Now that both tools are awaiting the phones connection make sure the phone is completely shut off and plug it in WITHOUT ANY BUTTONS PUSHED! You should now be connected to Mtkclient and the tool will be running the command you entered. If you do not get connected with a couple attempts close out mtkclient powershell window and reopen it.

!!!!!DO NOT UNLOCK OR ROOT THE PHONE BEFORE A PROPER BACK UP OF THE DEVICE IS TAKEN!!!!!

!!!!!DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!!!

I recommend taking a full flash back up of the phone right off the bat, this will take a couple hours, but for more experienced users there is a backup of each partition separated into each file separately that will work too.

"python mtk rf flash.bin" Is the command to make 1 single full flash file to restore the phone. To restore the phone with that file the command is "python mtk wf flash.bin"
    "python mtk rl out" Is the command that separates each partition into its each individual file and places the files in the out folder, to restore the whole out folder the command is "python mtk wl out" I recommend this backup after unlocking your bootloader so you will have your boot images to use for rooting.

UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER:
    To unlock your bootloader you will first need a full backup to ensure you can recover a bricked device, you will then run these two commands in this order...
    "python mtk e metadata,userdata,md_udc"
    "python mtk da seccfg unlock"

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED!!!

ROOTING YOUR PHONE:
    Now to root your phone you will need that single partition back up, or at least your boot_a.img or boot_b.img or both. "python mtk r boot_a,boot_b boot_a.img,boot_b.img" this will pull both your boot.img files only 1 is necessary, but both can be used.

!!ATTENTION!! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT MIX UP YOUR BOOT_A AND BOOT_B FILES YOU WILL LOOSE WIFI OR BLUETOOTH IF YOU FLASH THEM TO THE WRONG SLOT!!!

You install the Magisk APK to your phone and you patch your boot.img with the app, change their names to patched_a.img and patched_b.img if you do both of them, you then copy them to your computer in the same folder that the mtkclient tool is located. If you have fastboot access you can flash patched_a.img to your phone with these commands... "adb reboot fastboot" then "fastboot flash boot_a patched_a.img" and you can ensure your phone boots to that slot with this command... "fastboot --set-active=a"
    On models without fastboot access, you will need to flash both your patched_a and patched_b.img with mtkclient.
    AGAIN DO NOT MIX THEM UP!!!

"python mtk w boot_a,boot_b patched_a.img,patched_b.img"

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED!!!

NOW MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP!!!
    Many who are not experienced with root can easily brick or send their device into a bootloop. So once you get it successfully rooted I recommend you do another backup, run this command to do that
    "python mtk rf rootedflash.bin"
    that will give your new backup a different name so you can keep them organized. You will be able to restore it right back to where you have a freshly rooted phone.

Tips and Tricks:
    To reboot the phone from Brom hold power and volume down buttons until it reboots.
    To boot the phone into recovery hold power and volume down until the phone says booting recovery, from recovery you can shut the phone down to try to connect to mtkclient on failed attempts and to boot into fastboot.

On other devices the SP Flash Tool is not needed, like for instance the K51 doesn't need that step.

Special thanks to Bjoern Kerler for his work on his mtkclient tool that makes this all possible.
    And to the team at Hovatek for working with me.

I am hoping that a twrp is created for this device soon so that all of this will be a safer easier process, but for now you just have to tread lightly with modifications to the phone as many things aren't tested and may cause a bootloop or a bricked device.
    You will lose all data. It forces a factory reset, my tutorial tells it all, the hard part is setting it up, once it's set up correctly it's just running all the commands, sometimes it takes a few attempts to get the phone to connect properly but other than that it's pretty straightforward, you don't gotta worry about bricking it if you make a proper backup first and follow the steps exactly as I've laid them out
    Here is the scatter and preloader file for SP Flash Tool for the Stylo 6
    I don't know about using a chrome book, but once unlocked you can install a gsi through fastboot, I've had 11 and 12 installed on the stylo 6 and k51
    Too hard to do, lots of errors happen, driver mtk, python....
    I'll help you out if you want to help me with a few files, I'm sure you got a usb redirect and TeamViewer I'll get your stylo 6 up and running