How to unlock bootloader and root the LG Stylo 6 and K51 K61 and other K model LG devices

Search This thread

kingrise

Feb 4, 2014
maybe the problem is that this phone will not connect in preloader mode. No matter what I do it will not connect if I don't press any buttons. At all. With or without SP flash. I have to use SP and hold down both volume buttons and I'm guessing it connects in Brom mode. That's how I unlocked the bootloader. Maybe that's why I can't root, maybe we can only root in preloader mode. Just a thought. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions????

kingrise

Feb 4, 2014
Just wandering could u make a backup with root files for others to restore it using the backup to root? Or is that not possible?
I'm not sure but I would think it impossible because of your Imei and other personal identifiers. I wouldn't try it. More than likely you would brick it or it wouldn't even let you. They would have been doing that for a long time now.

I'm not sure but I would think it impossible because of your Imei and other personal identifiers. I wouldn't try it. More than likely you would brick it or it wouldn't even let you. They would have been doing that for a long time now.
I tested that months ago and no, the seccfg.img is where the unlock takes place and it has to have the correct hash to be flashed successfully to the phone, and in this process it makes a cascade of changes to a dozen other partitions upon the first successful boot of the device, I've got 100's of GB of backups from before and after bootloader unlocks and even after the unlock before the factory reset is forced, it took me a while to pinpoint what exactly happens.

Nov 25, 2021
I tested that months ago and no, the seccfg.img is where the unlock takes place and it has to have the correct hash to be flashed successfully to the phone, and in this process it makes a cascade of changes to a dozen other partitions upon the first successful boot of the device, I've got 100's of GB of backups from before and after bootloader unlocks and even after the unlock before the factory reset is forced, it took me a while to pinpoint what exactly happens.
Damn i just want root my stylo 6 😪

Keithfers

Nov 26, 2021
If you want you need to download TeamViewer and I'll set it all up for you and teach you how to use it on your own computer
i'm desperate at this point lol i'm downloading it now on the device, what next?? ended up getting busy and not tryna "waste" all my time & energy just to wind up bricking my phone (it's a spare, so not too worried about it at all) but could you show & tutor me through it.

kingrise

Feb 4, 2014
Is the command "python mtk w boot_a patched_a.img" then "python mtk w boot_b patched_b.img"? To do it 1 by 1 like you suggested?

RAMBO=NOOB

Oct 29, 2021
MAN Alive i have been following your tutorial since the day you posted it and i have made it ALL The way the to command " python mtk xflash seccfg unlock" the process seem to run something and my phone reboots but NO Unlock on bootloader. in the powershell window the printout ends with "error, buffer must be 12 bytes" something like that. CAN you help me with this Warlockguitarman?, what does it mean and how to fix. Phone is Stylo 6 T Mobile. right here in kentucky 859 913 4623

MAN Alive i have been following your tutorial since the day you posted it and i have made it ALL The way the to command " python mtk xflash seccfg unlock" the process seem to run something and my phone reboots but NO Unlock on bootloader. in the powershell window the printout ends with "error, buffer must be 12 bytes" something like that. CAN you help me with this Warlockguitarman?, what does it mean and how to fix. Phone is Stylo 6 T Mobile. right here in kentucky 859 913 4623
That's cool I'm in Owensboro

kingrise

Feb 4, 2014
Man God bless you Warlock. I successfully rooted an unlockable, unrootable phone.
I finally figured out the problem. Maybe you should fix up your OP again 😛
So in the instructions it says to change the names to patched_a.img. patched_b.img. I did but I actually named it that. I decided to try and take the img ending since the file is img and all went through.
Million thanks bro.
And what is GSI? You said you put android 11 and 12 on yours????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-231712.png
    Screenshot_20211127-231712.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 56

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STYLO 6 MTKCLIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLASHING, BACKING UP, UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, AND ROOTING ON WINDOWS 10/11:

!!!WARNING!!! ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, READ THE FULL TUTORIAL BEFORE YOU START!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED DEVICES! THIS PROCESS IS NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED PLEASE HAVE ADB COMMANDS KNOWLEDGE BEFORE TRYING TO ATTEMPT!!

THIS PROCESS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA SO BE PREPARED FOR THE FACTORY RESET TO BE FORCED BEFORE YOU CAN BOOT THE PHONE!!!

DOWNLOADS:
    1. Download Python from here "https://www.python.org/downloads/"
    2. Download USBDK here "https://github.com/daynix/UsbDk/releases/download/v1.00-22/UsbDk_1.0.22_x64.msi"
    3. Download mtkclient here "https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient"
    4. Download SP Flash Tool here "https://www.mediafire.com/file/kyoksq6kncpg8sg/SP_Flash_Tool_v5.2124_Win.zip/file"
    5. Download Magisk APK here "https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases"

INSTALLATION:
    1. Install Python (select "Add Python X.X to PATH")
    2. Install USBDK
    3. Install Mtkclient- While in the mtkclient folder hold shift and right click and select "Open PowerShell window here" Run this command in that window "python setup.py install" and then run command "pip3 install -r requirements.txt" Mtkclient is now installed correctly.
    4. Install SP Flash Tool and use the Scatter file I provided and the preloader file I provided.
    5. MTK VCOM Drivers need to be installed.

NEED TO KNOW:
    ***For the Stylo 6 to connect you must remove some of the loaders from the mtkclient-main\mtkclient\Loader file leaving MTK_AllInOne_DA_5.2136.bin as the only loader needed. Just highlight the unneeded ones and cut and paste them into the parent folder so you will have them for other devices.

***To run a command you will need to hold shift and right click to open a PowerShell window to use the tool.

***With Mtkclient waiting for the phone to be connected by hitting enter with your command entered, you will also need to click "Download" in SP Flash Tool to cause it to be waiting for the phones connection.

Now that both tools are awaiting the phones connection make sure the phone is completely shut off and plug it in WITHOUT ANY BUTTONS PUSHED! You should now be connected to Mtkclient and the tool will be running the command you entered. If you do not get connected with a couple attempts close out mtkclient powershell window and reopen it.

!!!!!DO NOT UNLOCK OR ROOT THE PHONE BEFORE A PROPER BACK UP OF THE DEVICE IS TAKEN!!!!!

!!!!!DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!!!

I recommend taking a full flash back up of the phone right off the bat, this will take a couple hours, but for more experienced users there is a backup of each partition separated into each file separately that will work too.

"python mtk rf flash.bin" Is the command to make 1 single full flash file to restore the phone. To restore the phone with that file the command is "python mtk wf flash.bin"
    "python mtk rl out" Is the command that separates each partition into its each individual file and places the files in the out folder, to restore the whole out folder the command is "python mtk wl out" I recommend this backup after unlocking your bootloader so you will have your boot images to use for rooting.

UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER:
    To unlock your bootloader you will first need a full backup to ensure you can recover a bricked device, you will then run these two commands in this order...
    "python mtk e metadata,userdata,md_udc"
    "python mtk da seccfg unlock"

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED!!!

ROOTING YOUR PHONE:
    Now to root your phone you will need that single partition back up, or at least your boot_a.img or boot_b.img or both. "python mtk r boot_a,boot_b boot_a.img,boot_b.img" this will pull both your boot.img files only 1 is necessary, but both can be used.

!!ATTENTION!! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT MIX UP YOUR BOOT_A AND BOOT_B FILES YOU WILL LOOSE WIFI OR BLUETOOTH IF YOU FLASH THEM TO THE WRONG SLOT!!!

You install the Magisk APK to your phone and you patch your boot.img with the app, change their names to patched_a.img and patched_b.img if you do both of them, you then copy them to your computer in the same folder that the mtkclient tool is located. If you have fastboot access you can flash patched_a.img to your phone with these commands... "adb reboot fastboot" then "fastboot flash boot_a patched_a.img" and you can ensure your phone boots to that slot with this command... "fastboot --set-active=a"
    On models without fastboot access, you will need to flash both your patched_a and patched_b.img with mtkclient.
    AGAIN DO NOT MIX THEM UP!!!

"python mtk w boot_a,boot_b patched_a.img,patched_b.img"

CONGRATULATIONS YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED!!!

NOW MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP!!!
    Many who are not experienced with root can easily brick or send their device into a bootloop. So once you get it successfully rooted I recommend you do another backup, run this command to do that
    "python mtk rf rootedflash.bin"
    that will give your new backup a different name so you can keep them organized. You will be able to restore it right back to where you have a freshly rooted phone.

Tips and Tricks:
    If you have the 2021 December update you may need to flash an older firmware because LG made a patch to mess up the connection with mtkclient!
    To reboot the phone from Brom hold power and volume down buttons until it reboots.
    To boot the phone into recovery hold power and volume down until the phone says booting recovery, from recovery you can shut the phone down to try to connect to mtkclient on failed attempts and to boot into fastboot.

On other devices the SP Flash Tool is not needed, like for instance the K51 doesn't need that step.

Special thanks to Bjoern Kerler for his work on his mtkclient tool that makes this all possible.
    And to the team at Hovatek for working with me.

I am hoping that a twrp is created for this device soon so that all of this will be a safer easier process, but for now you just have to tread lightly with modifications to the phone as many things aren't tested and may cause a bootloop or a bricked device.
    You will lose all data. It forces a factory reset, my tutorial tells it all, the hard part is setting it up, once it's set up correctly it's just running all the commands, sometimes it takes a few attempts to get the phone to connect properly but other than that it's pretty straightforward, you don't gotta worry about bricking it if you make a proper backup first and follow the steps exactly as I've laid them out
    Here is the scatter and preloader file for SP Flash Tool for the Stylo 6
    Too hard to do, lots of errors happen, driver mtk, python....
    I'll help you out if you want to help me with a few files, I'm sure you got a usb redirect and TeamViewer I'll get your stylo 6 up and running
    https://discord.gg/9AnNHzBtZv

I HAVE GOT TO GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO MY DUDE "WARLOCKGUITARMAN" FOR HIS WORK ON THIS TUTORIAL, AND FOR THE DISCORD LINK ABOVE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND KNOWLEGE. I strongly suggest any one with any issues to visit previous mentioned link for support on stylo 6 and just unlocking bootloader or rooting in general.