How to unlock bootloader for HTC Desire 626S (e.g. MetroPCS)

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Couldn't find a section for the HTC Desire 626S so I decided to go ahead and post it here so if my post is the wrong section, admins please correct it for me. Thanks

1. First make sure Developer Options is enabled on your device:
a. Go to 'Settings' head to 'Security' and check "Unknown Sources."
b. Next enable USB Debugging: Go to 'Settings' and scroll down until you access "About." Go to 'Software Information', and access "More". Rapidly tap on "Build number" until it tells you that you have enabled developer options. Now go back and Developer Options now appears above "About". Go in and check "USB debugging" and "OEM unlocking" (to allow bootloader to be unlocked).
2. Unlock your bootloader: this flashing procedure will wipe all the data on your device for security reasons - there's no way around that. It’s recommended that you backup what you want manually.
a. Access HTCDev which will provide the instructions to do so. Sign in first and select your device model [HTC Desire *]. First you will need to update to the latest Java, and download and install the latest Android SDK and latest HTC USB Driver v4.16.0.001.
b. Power off phone, press and hold Volume Down and then press and hold Power; hold both buttons to start the device into Bootloader mode.
c. Connect the device to the computer via a USB cable
d. Now we must get the 'Identifier Token' for unlocking the bootloader.
* With your device still in the 'Download mode', navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools". With the folder opened in a new window, hold Shift key and right click onto a blank part of the opened window and select "Open command window here" like this:

* When command window opened, type:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
You will get the series of strings like this:

* Now copy the whole string and paste it into your favorite editor like Notepad and delete "(bootloader)," "<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>" and blank space, so that the resulted string should appear like this:
Code:
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
4F83B3A301842037241BA9B4960EFA06
DA5F5E6289DB07DF352BCD93227EC7E7
A96EFBB5B6B78F18EFF3120C3520F05D
B5F64931A881749FE6AE165033FD4412
1A483DD7B01A6BC96D827A80D14A4717
96857FE3C996D56873D231E73F2A23C5
554B6B081EC6589C0AE075D4EBE45B33
0046E3E0CCC5B700E4236EF6896B7D0B
4AE9A6F2DE7F2A4C4B70B5689C698E4A
4382F54F1DD24A5666FC5CC468B23446
0F1ADCBB79D780D52882FA2CF8F0AB6F
7B6572F38E4659250CD78615A4566E00
D3AAFA0DEF9F2DD9873B36B33ACECBDB
349110DD2F646007D442343415DC17DD
E1C4F1D29577B3E05A4BF79FBC25AC85
913512B173065739F0E2B155FB416A86
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
* Now copy it and go to the HTCDev site (assuming you’re already signed in) and scroll down to find step #7:
* Now enter the copied string in the box provided and press the "Submit" button.
e. You will be sent an email with the unlock key as a file attachment.
* Download the attachment "Unlock_code.bin" and place it in the adb folder.
* Press Shift key and right click onto a blank part of the opened window and click "Open Command Window here".
* In the command prompt type: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin. In the command prompt you will see the following message:

* You will now see the disclaimer: Use the Volume buttons to highlight your choice, and make your selection with the Power button. Selecting Yes, wil reset your phone to factory settings, and your bootloader will be unlocked and selecting No, will reboot your phone and no changes will be made.

* To re-lock your bootloader, in the command prompt, type: fastboot oem lock.
Note: This will not restore the factory default lock, but will simply re-lock the bootloader so no further changes can be made
f. Now it’s completed, your phone will be rebooted and it will start automatically with the unlocked bootloader.

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
So what is the advantage to unlocking the bootloader if there is no root solution or no custom ROMs? Is there any real reason to unlock at this point?

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using XDA Free mobile app

s3llz

Sep 20, 2012
Nacogdoches
This guide was very helpful. Now all we need is a Developer with this device to build some roms for us. I love this phone so far. It is amazing and just the right size for my hands. Thanks for this guide brother.

ByteEnable

Aug 19, 2013
Informative

It was informative. I use GNU/Linux. So the only step that was missing on the HTC site was that you need to be root to run the programs.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
So what is the advantage to unlocking the bootloader if there is no root solution or no custom ROMs? Is there any real reason to unlock at this point?

Well Idk if u are aware but when u unlock the bootloader, the device automatically resets to factory settings (all data lost). Someone such as myself who just got this phone would rather unlock the bootloader now (with nothing saved on the device) instead of waiting till a root solution becomes available down the line which would require me to backup all the things I find important on my device.

ByteEnable

Aug 19, 2013
Unlock now to avoid pain later

Well Idk if u are aware but when u unlock the bootloader, the device automatically resets to factory settings (all data lost). Someone such as myself who just got this phone would rather unlock the bootloader now (with nothing saved on the device) instead of waiting till a root solution becomes available down the line which would require me to backup all the things I find important on my device.
Sound logic. The exact logic I used. Unlock now and have a few apps blown away. However, one could always back up first but my Titanium Premium Backup wants root.

On a side note. I went to the HTC dev site to see if they had a kernel published and they don't.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yeah, I'm aware that unlocking the bootloader resets the device - I was just wondering if there was a reason to unlock at this point. I already have my device fully setup - although, honestly, that's the great thing about Google/Android, even if I have to start from scratch, I can have it automatically reload all of my apps, app data, etc, so there really isn't much manual work involved in reseting an Android device.

Anyway, nice writeup and hopefully someone will find a way to root this thing soon - it's a hell of a phone for $80 (MetroPCS)! Can't beat the monthly fees either. This is the first Android device (out of over 10) that I couldn't root - although to be perfectly honest, so far it really hasn't caused me any grief - other than not being able to remove some of the system apps that I don't use...

The DotView case is pretty cool too - screen is always protected and I can see notifications/answer calls, etc without even opening the case! Expensive for what it is, but cool nonetheless....

Last edited:

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Yeah, I'm aware that unlocking the bootloader resets the device - I was just wondering if there was a reason to unlock at this point. I already have my device fully setup - although, honestly, that's the great thing about Google/Android, even if I have to start from scratch, I can have it automatically reload all of my apps, app data, etc, so there really isn't much manual work involved in reseting an Android device.

Anyway, nice writeup and hopefully someone will find a way to root this thing soon - it's a hell of a phone for $80 (MetroPCS)! Can't beat the monthly fees either. This is the first Android device (out of over 10) that I couldn't root - although to be perfectly honest, so far it really hasn't caused me any grief - other than not being able to remove some of the system apps that I don't use...

The DotView case is pretty cool too - screen is always protected and I can see notifications/answer calls, etc without even opening the case! Expensive for what it is, but cool nonetheless....

Thanks by the way. The DotView case looks nice but that's hella expensive, especially when u can go on ebay and find some going for at least $6 (from China), but more power to u.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yeah, I saw some of those on Ebay but they were either purple (or some other ugly color) or they weren't genuine HTC cases (don't trust the chinese knock-offs). That and it would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to get here, by which time I would have most likely scratched the **** out of my phone! :)

I also didn't see a genuine HTC black 626s dotview case for anywhere near $6. Saw a few for other models, but not the 626. If you have a link to one, I'd appreciate it because for that price, it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. Now that I already have one, I don't care how long it takes to get here for the spare. I really do like the idea behind the dotview case though. Phone is always protected buy still useful at the same time.

Thanks.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town

Yeah, I saw some of those on Ebay but they were either purple (or some other ugly color) or they weren't genuine HTC cases (don't trust the chinese knock-offs). That and it would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to get here, by which time I would have most likely scratched the **** out of my phone! :)

I also didn't see a genuine HTC black 626s dotview case for anywhere near $6. Saw a few for other models, but not the 626. If you have a link to one, I'd appreciate it because for that price, it wouldn't hurt to have a spare. Now that I already have one, I don't care how long it takes to get here for the spare. I really do like the idea behind the dotview case though. Phone is always protected buy still useful at the same time.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking just like u. I went and got me a case from my local Metro PCS dealer right here (the version I have on ebay). I didn't wanna wait either and catch any scratches on it. Got mine for $15 which is a drop in the bucket in my opinion.

Houamei

Jul 9, 2013
Berlin
I rather try a root option that requires me to use my PC instead of one that is on the fly. If I don't see a root option that meets those specifications within the next month, I'll probably use the kingroot method u suggested.
Kingroot has an pc version too. if you want to root the phone via PC.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Kingroot does not work for the 626s. I believe that the difference is that the 626s runs Android 5.1 whereas the other 626 models run Android 4.4...

Last edited:

ByronFer

Jan 20, 2012
Cuenca
Kingroot does not work for the 626s. I believe that the difference is that the 626s runs Android 5.1 whereas the other 626 models run Android 4.4...

I can confirm Kingroot doesnt work for the 626x using android 4.4.4
can't even install the updated apk :( :( :( and have not tried with the pc version yet....