• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[How-to] Unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel/XL

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
May 8, 2010
Columbus, OH
I have a regular retail sailfish Google Pixel (i.e. NOT a Verizon one - from EE in the UK, code _pixel_phone_black_32gb_p), and have tried all the methods in this thread to unlock the boot-loader without success :( . I was under the impression that the non-Verizon pixels were "less" locked and easier to unlock, but is this no longer the case?

I can't answer all your questions, but some. As far as I know, it's more the reverse - the ONLY edition of any Google Pixel that can absolutely be counted on to be able to unlock the bootloader is a Google Edition, so that would mean not buying one through any carrier.

Finally, is there any way to sideload a newer Android, or does that only work with the archives on the site: https://developers.google.com/android/ota#sailfish ?

Until or unless you can unlock the bootloader, you can only use official releases that are aleady available for your phone. The last official update was "10.0.0 (QP1A.191005.007.A3, Dec 2019)". In order to do anything else like flash someone else's ROM that might be based on a newer version of Android, you have to unlock the bootloader first. If you can't do that, then there's nothing you can do.

Fig wright

Dec 26, 2018
The reason for it not working is that Google or Verizon updated their servers. The method hasn't been working for months. It also might not work on a non-Verizon phone. You were right that factory unlocked phones are easy to bootloader unlock but that doesn't apply to all carrier phones. EE probably just copied Verizon. There might be an unlock method for that specific carrier if you search Google or the XDA forums but I don't know. There is no way to flash a ROM that wasn't signed by Google if you don't have an unlocked bootloader.

You're right, this thread suggests I need to trigger an operator unlock with EE, which also does a bootloader unlock:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/how-to/ee-unlock-bootloader-t3592238

This might be tricky, because the EE operator unlock is supposed to be automatic after 2 years (but evidently doesn't do the bootloader automatically), so I wonder if they can do it if it has already been done? I've requested it, so we'll see.

If I were to buy this device new model being G-2PW2100 would I have to use this unlock method? Or would it not work? I do not want to purchase this phone if I can't unlock the bootloader. Please reply back if you know any details. The device I plan on buying is this Model and the box is still sealed so it shouldn't be on Android 10. Meaning that this should still work? Trying to ask for clarification before I spend $150 on this device

I recently purchased a "new" Google Pixel model #G-2PW2100-021-B (Verizon model) from a ebay seller and was able to successfully unlock the bootloader using an AIO tool. I only spent $114 after taxes with free shipping. If you're wondering where I purchased it from here is the seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Un...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Mr.Conkel

Oct 10, 2020
London
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 5T
I recently purchased a "new" Google Pixel model #G-2PW2100-021-B (Verizon model) from a ebay seller and was able to successfully unlock the bootloader using an AIO tool. I only spent $114 after taxes with free shipping. If you're wondering where I purchased it from here is the seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Un...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I appreciate your help but I am now a proud owner of a OnePlus 5T I got it from Swappa a week ago and I'm absolutely loving it. Likely going to stay within OnePlus Devices because I don't have to worry about which model I get. I appreciate all you guys though. Such a good community thanks for the help:highfive:

I appreciate your help but I am now a proud owner of a OnePlus 5T I got it from Swappa a week ago and I'm absolutely loving it. Likely going to stay within OnePlus Devices because I don't have to worry about which model I get. I appreciate all you guys though. Such a good community thanks for the help:highfive:

Nice! Enjoy your new phone!

Nikita54567841

Dec 5, 2020
Добрый вечер всем!

При попытке разблокировать загрузчик по инструкции выдает ошибку ..., ниже на фото

Как решить эту проблему?

Все, что я пытался сделать, не работает.
Я уже всю голову сломал, чтобы решить эту проблему.
Я ввел команды в CMD и залез в браузер, в результате ползунок все еще серый.

И обновление не устанавливается, пишет ошибку что на фото. Пробовал на двух ПК, на одном Windows 7, на другом 10.
Ошибка такая же.
Гугл пишет на сайте (на экране)

Пожалуйста, помогите мне разобраться с этой проблемой. :(((

Attachments

• 1607180168954.png
    1607180168954.png
    308.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Good evening everyone!

When trying to unlock the bootloader according to the instructions, it gives an error ..., below in the photo

How to solve this problem?

Anything I tried to do, does not work.
I already broke my whole head to solve this problem.
I entered commands in CMD and climbed in the browser, as a result, the slider is still gray.

And the update is not installed, it writes an error that is in the photo. Tried it on two PCs, on one Windows 7, on the other 10.
Ошибка такая же.
Google writes on the website (on the screen)

Please help me figure out this problem. :(((

Pro tip: You should never publicly reveal your IMEI number. Your IMEI number can get hacked if it falls into the wrong hands.

Nikita54567841

Dec 5, 2020
[QUOTE = "infamous, post: 84059577, member: 2802424"]
Совет: никогда не раскрывайте свой номер IMEI публично. Ваш номер IMEI может быть взломан, если попадет в чужие руки.
[/ QUOTE]
oh, idk.
i was delete this photo

wb04431

Dec 14, 2020
Hi guys. So I finally found a way to unlock a bootloader on a Verizon Pixel. Without further ado, let's get started. This method works on Pixel and Pixel XL.

1. Remove Google account and any kind of screen lock (fingerprint, PIN, pattern, etc.) from your device.
2. Eject sim card from your device.
3. Reset your device. In setup wizard, skip everything, don't connect to WiFi, don't add fingerprint or any kind of screen lock.
4. Go to Developer Options and enable USB debugging.
5. Connect your phone to PC.
6. Open CMD in adb directory and type
Code:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
7. Restart your device.
8. Connect to WiFi, open Chrome and go to google.com (or any website really).
9. Go to Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking.
10. Reboot into bootloader and via CMD run
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
or
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
11. Profit

Be aware that unlocking bootloader removes everything from your device.

UPDATE: Confirmed that this method works on Android Oreo as well as Android P Developer Preview.
This is not working for me. The OEM Unlocking remains greyed out (and the fastboot flashing or oem unlock both do not work. What else can I try?

ayanepi

Jan 12, 2021
Hello! Has there been anyone who was able to access OEM Unlock on an Android device (Google Pixel 3XL) since the last post on this thread...? I was stuck at the Android Reboot screen which eventually forced me to factory reset, and would really like to recover photo/video data that didn't make it to the cloud on time :( I tried using software which requires you to root your phone, but because I have a Verizon device the OEM Unlock option is grayed out... HELP!!

entelecheia

Mar 13, 2020
You know, I notice that my phone app is still accessible even after I uninstalled it via ADB.
Code:
$ adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
ADB returns the code:
Code:
Failure [not installed for 0]
so I know it's gone. Yet still it opens. Could that be having an effect on the inefficacy of the exploit?

Also, has anyone tried flashing the October OTA (sailfish-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a1-2c90d97b.zip) instead of the December release before running through the process? Could it be worth it to give it a shot, or will we hit the "THOU SHALL NOT DOWNGRADE!" firewall?

Such a bummer I can't just use this phone as I would like. Just by sheer force of will, you'd think I'd have gotten there by now.

Reactions: anon_lastname

Fig wright

Dec 26, 2018
You're right, this thread suggests I need to trigger an operator unlock with EE, which also does a bootloader unlock:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/how-to/ee-unlock-bootloader-t3592238

This might be tricky, because the EE operator unlock is supposed to be automatic after 2 years (but evidently doesn't do the bootloader automatically), so I wonder if they can do it if it has already been done? I've requested it, so we'll see.
After several weeks of messing around, EE finally triggered the unlock. Painful journey.

HighlandKid

Jan 26, 2021
I have a Verizon Google Pixel XL 2 Taimen:11/RP1A.201005.004.A1/6934943 that has Android 11 security update Oct 5 2020 I have tried everything I could find on XDA and I find myself the victim of every dead end possible all leading back to the OEM unlocking refusing to stay enabled. I combed through the 66 pages of this thread from 2018. It drives me insane when these posts cannot be updated whether the original subject was resolved and if so, how it was accomplished.

It would serve to include more detail than what comes across as arbitrary clues to some puzzle synonymous when the teacher would tell the class if anyone has any questions to come up to their desk and ask but every time you do you're given a question to your question not sure what the hell they meant left more confused than before.

To be clear, Is there anyone on XDA that can walk through how to not only keep oem unlocked beyond
Code:
but ultimately root the dang device or are we supposed to go round and round with nonsense about
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
and
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
as if those two lines of magical wizardry is supposed to actually work?

My favorite by far has to be wasting hours reading gibberish from other users who exercise ridiculous vague suggestions with the utmost confidence their random brilliance will work yet has zero to do with the original issue but were too lazy to read what the OP said.

I hope somewhere in this barren, never ending wasteland labeled, "Google Pixel XL Guides, News, & Discussion" I eventually come across a legitimately proven solution. Until that faithful day, I shall continue my journey of posts with mysterious cliffhanger resolutions left to wither away in the desert sun without any updates. The few posts I do encounter appear to be riddled with dead end cul-de-sacs of outdated, useless and often irrelevant dirt piles of wondering replies completely straying away from what was originally asked (e.g. unlocking the bootloader on Verizon Pixel/XL) resulting in nothing more than a wasted afternoon.

In the spirit of that very tl:dr waste of time I'll cut to the chase and make a passionate plea to the OP of this post, burduli , to bestow the rest of us commoners as to what, if any, solution you may have achieved whether in this thread or elsewhere. For I, a kindred spirit, like yourself is seeking the wisdom to unlock the bootloader of the Google Pixel (2 in my case) XL.

Last edited:

HighlandKid

Jan 26, 2021
You know, I notice that my phone app is still accessible even after I uninstalled it via ADB.
Code:
$ adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone
ADB returns the code:
Code:
Failure [not installed for 0]
so I know it's gone. Yet still it opens. Could that be having an effect on the inefficacy of the exploit?

Also, has anyone tried flashing the October OTA (sailfish-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a1-2c90d97b.zip) instead of the December release before running through the process? Could it be worth it to give it a shot, or will we hit the "THOU SHALL NOT DOWNGRADE!" firewall?

Such a bummer I can't just use this phone as I would like. Just by sheer force of will, you'd think I'd have gotten there by now.
You and I are in the same boat and per my last reply to this thread, I too, hope but am skeptical for any wisdom the elders of this community may bestow on to us.. aka just cut to the f'ing chase and read the dang post to understand the 5,683 times the same solution is stated will not make it magically work. Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys. So I finally found a way to unlock a bootloader on a Verizon Pixel. Without further ado, let's get started. This method works on Pixel and Pixel XL.

1. Remove Google account and any kind of screen lock (fingerprint, PIN, pattern, etc.) from your device.
    2. Eject sim card from your device.
    3. Reset your device. In setup wizard, skip everything, don't connect to WiFi, don't add fingerprint or any kind of screen lock.
    4. Go to Developer Options and enable USB debugging.
    5. Connect your phone to PC.
    6. Open CMD in adb directory and type
    Code:
    7. Restart your device.
    8. Connect to WiFi, open Chrome and go to google.com (or any website really).
    9. Go to Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking.
    10. Reboot into bootloader and via CMD run
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    or
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    11. Profit

Be aware that unlocking bootloader removes everything from your device.

Credit to members LeoTheRomRasta and Qu3ntin0 for making this method available to the community on the Bounty thread yesterday. https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...rizon-pixel-bootloader-unlock-t3740911/page14 There is an ongoing discussion there about variations on this method.

UPDATE: Confirmed that this method works on Android Oreo as well as Android P Developer Preview.
    Please can someone go through the trouble with making some step-by-step instructions that are a bit more noob-friendly, like in the OP? Thanks.

Here is what worked for me:

Prerequisites:

No SIM card in the phone
    ADB and Platform Tools installed on a computer (https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/)
    The latest OTA image downloaded to the computer (https://developers.google.com/android/ota#sailfish for the Pixel or https://developers.google.com/android/ota#marlin for the Pixel XL)
    The phone connected to the computer with USB
    Learn how to use ADB and Fastboot on your computer as it can differ.

Steps:

1. On the phone, open Settings>System>Reset Options and factory reset the phone. It should say "Restarting" or something similar.
    2. When the screen goes black, press and hold the Volume Down key until you get into the Bootloader mode. Use the volume keys to navigate to "Recovery Mode" and select it with the power button.
    3. Hold the Volume Down key for about a minute (while it resets) until you make it back to the bootloader.
    4. Again use the volume keys to select Recovery Mode, then you should see a graphic of an android lying down.
    5. Hold the Power button then press the Volume Up button once. It should give you a menu. If that doesn't work, try pressing them at the same time.
    6. Use the volume and power buttons to select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"
    7. Once it finishes, select the "Apply update via ADB" option.
    8. Go to your computer and type in 'adb sideload sailfish-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a3-394b5899.zip' (without quotes) for the Pixel or 'adb sideload marlin-ota-qp1a.191005.007.a3-23002a57.zip' for the Pixel XL.
    9. Factory reset again from recovery mode
    10. Reboot to system
    11. While it just shows the G, press the power button until the phone restarts
    12. Once it boots up, skip all of the steps but disable the options for sending information to Google.
    13. Enable Developer Options by tapping "Build Number" seven times
    14. In Developer Options, enable USB Debugging
    15. On your computer, run 'adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone'
    16. Reboot twice
    17. Connect to WiFi
    18. Open google.com in Chrome
    19. check Developer Options to see if you can enable OEM unlocking
    20. If you can't, swipe away Settings from the Recents menu and go back to Chrome
    21. In Chrome, open a bunch of websites. After opening each one, check the OEM Unlocking option again and close Settings afterward.
    22. Once you can enable it, do so! Now you can unlock the bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader:

1. Reboot and press the Volume Down key when the screen goes black
    2. On the computer, type 'fastboot flashing unlock'

You just unlocked the bootloader!

Credit goes to djared704 for finding this method.

Let me know if I need to change anything about this guide.
    Hey guys. After 5 months of my purchase I finally achieved bootloader unlocking. Basically I am a user that has never updated to latest, I don't know if it makes it a variable if you're already on latest and try this. (I was coming from Sept 2019). So what I did was factory reset from the system menus. Then as soon as the screen went black, I did bootloader combos and straight to recovery. I factory resetted as prep, flashed DECEMBER patch, then after that finished, factory resetted again. Essentially, I followed the classic ADB exploit that has "never worked since Sept-Oct 2019" And yes I do have the VZW_001 CID and "_VZ" in GL website. Know when yours is bootlooping as soon as you reboot it, just hard reboot so it boots up quicker, I don't know what it does for it to take so long. Anyways when you get in, just setup like we'd always do, NO google account, turn off all setting requests (Data location, wallpapers, etc). Then as soon as I got in, I turned on debugging, ran the classic adb pm command, rebooted TWO times. This means as soon as I booted, i swiped to go to home, then rebooted a second time. As soon as I did that, I loaded up my wifi connection, I don't know if it matters but Im using the 5G wifi, then I load up google.com. Immediately, I already notice something strange. Google.com doesn't have a "valid SSL certificate" I thought it was weird, so I went to google.com on my PC and look certified SSL. As I knew that was weird, I was clicking around and I thought that was enough. so I went to the dev menu. OEM lock still grayed out. I went back to chrome and simply typed in "youtube" Let it load up. Then I clicked on the site. I went back to the dev menu. Still grayed out. I exited settings app and relaunched it to the dev menu. OEM unlock lit up in flying colors. I could not believe it. I instantly ticked it with 0 hesitation and rebooted immediately to the bootloader. The unlock command worked! I am now unlocked sailfish! I thank the community so much for all the hard work. I, only motivated the community to their potential. Thank you again!

Generally there are some kinds of factors.
    Users have stated before if you OTA'd from menus to Latest patch, it would say "October", even though it's really december. This may make the unlocking procedure impossible. I have also not seen any marlin users report back to me yet about this method. You can still try flashing from googles site if you're already on "October = Dec".

Enjoy guys. We proved WE own these phones, and not VZW.
    Uhm, how do you skip Wi-Fi setup? :confused:

EDIT: Guys, can confirm. It works!!! Just tested this as of now. The trick is to factory reset twice because the first reset leaves an indicator to the phone that you did a factory reset just now. Therefore, not allowing you to skip Wi-Fi connection in Setup Wizard. As for the steps, once you opened Google Chrome and visit a website, Go to Developer Options and wait until 3-5 minutes if the option to unlock is still grayed out. You might want to go back and forth one more time to see if the option to unlock is now enabled.
    Apparently there may a very very small case of possibly unlocking bootloader on VZW pixel 1 again. There is a Chinese service known by the name of "Taobao", performing premium paid bootloader unlocks for Pixel 1. Now at XDA, we do not agree with charging people in any way. The first way the old adb uninstall exploit was even discovered was because some user leaked, also a premium service in China. This is a bit different. The interface they are using is in Chinese (I know this because I connected with a user in our TG channel that has used this service). When I talked with this user they spoken about how they used the getvar command to determine if it was a actual VZW model or not. He went on to tell me that he used a VPN service to connect to their (data centre?) or his own phone, built for going long distances, I guess. He tells me he hasn't paid attention to the PC that much, and in a bit his bootloader was successfully unlocked. I actually took a look at the fastboot toolkit when I was on his PC and it was actually a toolkit from 2016, and it was obviously a bit modified, having a chinese file shortcut that directs to system32 cmd. The shortcut was obviously "命令提示符", translating Command Prompt. I can't understand why you would need admin access for adb, but to spin off, the commands in the help directory of both fastboot and ADB are different. Some I noticed were "flashing get_unlock_bootloader_nonce" "flashing unlock_bootloader <request>" "flashing lock_bootloader". However the ADB directory looks a bit similar to what we see today. I looked at a couple of the proprietary apps he used and the interfaces of those kinda reminded me of IP grabbing applications. Some great people at TG attempted to translate for me, and it looked about right.
    In theory, they use these apps to grab a VZW IP and maybe bully it with your own router? Or maybe they infiltrate it with their own IP which explains turning on the VPN. We have to work together, and figure out exactly how it was done. We have some info, but no steps on reproducing it. Lets try and work this out together! WE ARE so close! Thanks so much.