Question How to unlock OEM bootloader of Redmi Note 10 Pro

Search This thread

gazza35

Sep 10, 2006
Dumfries
This is what confuses me, "If you unlock the bootloader, your phone's warranty will be void.".
WHY all the confusion over warranty???? Seriously, we could all do with a solid, real legitimate answer once and for all, Some say warranty isnt affected if you unlock, even if you flash custom rom, others like above, say your warranty will be void!.
Perhaps someone like an Admin could actually make a post in General with the true legitimate info regarding warranty status if anyone unlocks their BL so we all know the real answer once and for all, it seems ludicrous that there is so much confusion on such a simple subject..
QUOTE from sources on Xiaomi -
Will rooting Redmi void warranty?

As per the official response from the company, simply unlocking your Xiaomi or Redmi phone's bootloader does not void its warranty.22 Apr 2020

Reactions: Fostel

gazza35

Sep 10, 2006
Dumfries
For completeness, link to source please?

I think the confusion about this has to do with International sales of Xiaomi and different laws, but the unlocktool is for everyone.
Cant find it offhand, will look through history when i get a min, But Look, to ALL concerned, with any mobile phone company this is a common issue, the rules are simple 1)Unlocking Bootloader does NOT void warranty because it does not affect the firmware in any way at all and your phone will still run normally. 2)Unlocking Bootloader and Flashing Official Miui, Will not Void your warranty. 3) Finally, Unlocking bootloader and installing anything not Official, like Lineage, or 3rd party mods, Rooting etc WILL 100% void warranty in all countries. That said, if you were to Reflash Official Miui back to stock and relock bootloader, Your warranty will be back intact. So remember everyone, if you need to claim warranty, make sure you are back on Miui that came supplied on your phone and Bootloader relocked.
It would However in my case, be beneficial to pose the question to Xiaomi Uk to get their thoughts on this subject.

Fostel

Jan 16, 2013
London
OnePlus One
OnePlus X
It's a little price to pay for a phone like this. [...]

Been on Xiaomi since mi 4c with custom roms, lucky for me, never had any problems aside from my own carelessness.
You were right. The hardware is great for the price I paid - £129 for a brand new 128GB ROM/ 6GB RAM device. Unlocking has gone smooth on the first try but it involves a huge privacy sacrifice. You need to give them a lot of data: your email, phone number, sim card number, operator, location, pc windows details and much, much more. Your PC and new phone need to be tied together to your Mi account.

It is also time-consuming for the model that is not officially supported especially if you are new to Xiaomi. I spend around 2 weeks researching but it is done now.

I wanted to degoogle the phone as much as possible. I did not use MIUI and flashed ArrowOS 12L (vanilla variant - no gapps). Got the apps I needed from F-droid.
Luckily there is a huge gcam community for this model. The device with the gcam is producing stunning quality pictures and all cameras are available (wide, macro, main and selfie).

Lot of work but happy with the results. Thanks to all here for helping me with the start.

x3r0.13urn

Nov 1, 2012
You were right. The hardware is great for the price I paid - £129 for a brand new 128GB ROM/ 6GB RAM device. Unlocking has gone smooth on the first try but it involves a huge privacy sacrifice. You need to give them a lot of data: your email, phone number, sim card number, operator, location, pc windows details and much, much more. Your PC and new phone need to be tied together to your Mi account.

It is also time-consuming for the model that is not officially supported especially if you are new to Xiaomi. I spend around 2 weeks researching but it is done now.

I wanted to degoogle the phone as much as possible. I did not use MIUI and flashed ArrowOS 12L (vanilla variant - no gapps). Got the apps I needed from F-droid.
Luckily there is a huge gcam community for this model. The device with the gcam is producing stunning quality pictures and all cameras are available (wide, macro, main and selfie).

Lot of work but happy with the results. Thanks to all here for helping me with the start.
I'm not sure about the PC must be tied to Mi Account, but yes, Mi Flash does gather some basic OS information when doing the unlocking process if I recall correctly.

I believe Redmi Note 10 Pro is officially supported, so does most if not all Global units of Mi/Redmi.

I still think I'm grateful Xiaomi still allow their bootloader to be unlocked, though the process is quite tedious. The only Chinese manufacturer that offers official way to do so is OnePlus and Xiaomi.

Realme is in grey area, if you can't find the thread in realme forum to unlock it, chances are you won't be able to unlock it, or have to find it in some shady forum (mostly copied/stolen from service center?). And not all unlock application is approved, hindering effort even further.

Oppo is the same as realme, officially they don't allow unlock bootloader though some deep test apk is available for some models through shady forums.

Vivo is even worse, no official way to unlock - workaround is available here in xda but integrated fastboot is useless.

Huawei is long betrayed dev community trust, and now have paid their own consequences.

Sony and Asus is non-Chinese, but their market is slim and limited. They offers unlocking and quite good resources though, kernel and such. Beware not to buy any carrier of those though, most of them cannot be unlocked in normal way.

Samsung is a wild card in here. They have biggest android market yet dev community looks less interested to thinker with them. I believe because they have Knox and non standard fastboot, or doesn't have it at all? (flash must through Odin, Heimdall, etc. which is similar to EDL)

Reactions: Fostel and Elinx

Elinx

Jan 5, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Redmi Note 10 Pro

I still think I'm grateful Xiaomi still allow their bootloader to be unlocked, ....
Thank you for this overview of smartphone brands and bootloader unlocking.
I wasn't aware that Xiaomi was almost the only one that have this official supported.
Formal I had a ZTE (Blade and Redbull), but from Redmi1S I always stayed with Xiaomi Redmi (Note 3,4,8,9,10)
Bootloader unlocking as with Xiaomi isn't the most pleasant activity and take you a week of patience, but plain and quite simple.
After this there are more challenges with new Android versions, custom rom's and ofcourse root, encryption and safetynet etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fostel

Fostel

Jan 16, 2013
London
OnePlus One
OnePlus X
I'm not sure about the PC must be tied to Mi Account, but yes, Mi Flash does gather some basic OS information when doing the unlocking process if I recall correctly.

I believe Redmi Note 10 Pro is officially supported, so does most if not all Global units of Mi/Redmi.

I still think I'm grateful Xiaomi still allow their bootloader to be unlocked, though the process is quite tedious. The only Chinese manufacturer that offers official way to do so is OnePlus and Xiaomi.

Realme is in grey area, if you can't find the thread in realme forum to unlock it, chances are you won't be able to unlock it, or have to find it in some shady forum (mostly copied/stolen from service center?). And not all unlock application is approved, hindering effort even further.

Oppo is the same as realme, officially they don't allow unlock bootloader though some deep test apk is available for some models through shady forums.

Vivo is even worse, no official way to unlock - workaround is available here in xda but integrated fastboot is useless.

Huawei is long betrayed dev community trust, and now have paid their own consequences.

Sony and Asus is non-Chinese, but their market is slim and limited. They offers unlocking and quite good resources though, kernel and such. Beware not to buy any carrier of those though, most of them cannot be unlocked in normal way.

Samsung is a wild card in here. They have biggest android market yet dev community looks less interested to thinker with them. I believe because they have Knox and non standard fastboot, or doesn't have it at all? (flash must through Odin, Heimdall, etc. which is similar to EDL)
Words of wisdom! Thanks for the write-up, mate. I enjoyed the read.

Reactions: gazza35

gazza35

Sep 10, 2006
Dumfries
Some Sony phones are a complete nightmare lol, like the X10, once you unlock the bootloader BOOOOM, thats it, you cant relock it at all which is a problem, Samsung however are the easiest, ive always found there to be a ton of development for samsungs and the flashing methods using Odin is a walk in the park, easy, Huawei, great phone, loved my P20 Pro, however they withdrew all rights to unlock bootloader, can still be done tho, there is a good service online which does it fairly cheap, i like the Xiaomi, i just dont see any great development out there to make it worth my while tinkering, i think Miui is the strongest most reliable software avail so i have chosen to stay stock.

Reactions: x3r0.13urn

aLcaTr4z

Jul 9, 2019
Try to get another level deeper into the system, by holding both volume buttons + power. When it vibrates and screen keeps dark, there u go.

Last edited:

david003

Aug 8, 2020
Just thought I'd note, regarding the waiting time. I unlocked my wife's old Note 4x for the first time yesterday, and it unlocked right away without waiting. It's been out of warranty for a long time, of course, and it looked like it hadn't been touched for about 3 years. I still had the xiaomi account info, though.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Just thought I'd note, regarding the waiting time. I unlocked my wife's old Note 4x for the first time yesterday, and it unlocked right away without waiting. It's been out of warranty for a long time, of course, and it looked like it hadn't been touched for about 3 years. I still had the xiaomi account info, though.
Older devices have no wait time, what specifically fits in this part IDK. But it could be a parameter, I unlocked instantly a RN7 months ago, but for my RN8P, still had to wait the 168 hours.

Fostel

Jan 16, 2013
London
OnePlus One
OnePlus X
The brand-new Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro purchased from mi.com/uk are still encountering 168 hours of waiting time. Additionally, I couldn't unlock the next device on the same account. Had to create three accounts for 3 phones. And yes, I was trying to unlock them with more than 2 months in between.

Reactions: pnin

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
The brand-new Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro purchased from mi.com/uk are still encountering 168 hours of waiting time. Additionally, I couldn't unlock the next device on the same account. Had to create three accounts for 3 phones. And yes, I was trying to unlock them with more than 2 months in between.
That´s it, new devices have to wait at minimum 168 hrs. I read that 4 unlocks devices are allowed for a same account per-year.

Fostel

Jan 16, 2013
London
OnePlus One
OnePlus X
That´s it, new devices have to wait at minimum 168 hrs. I read that 4 unlocks devices are allowed for a same account per-year.
I confirm I read that too, also they say it has to be 2 or 3 months in between devices. In my case they did not allow me to unlock the bootloader on the second device that I ordered 8 months after the first unlock so it seems not to be true. Creating a new account solved the issue for me.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I confirm I read that too, also they say it has to be 2 or 3 months in between devices. In my case they did not allow me to unlock the bootloader on the second device that I ordered 8 months after the first unlock so it seems not to be true. Creating a new account solved the issue for me.
Well, allowing 1 device per-quarter has sense, and this policy would be for one account.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I try to unlock the bootloader using the official app, its showing me 168 days. Can somebody suggest a definitive guide to unlock OEM bootloader. This is the worst thing xiaomi has done. I tried to follow some videos on youtube, nothing works.
    You just have to simply wait this 7 full days (168h).
    This is the safest method. Just wait.
    No other solutions.
    If I try to unlock the bootloader using the official app, its showing me 168 days. Can somebody suggest a definitive guide to unlock OEM bootloader. This is the worst thing xiaomi has done. I tried to follow some videos on youtube, nothing works.
    The so-called mod tools never worked for instant unlock, so it's better to wait for 7 days to safely unlock using official unlock tool. Worst thing xiaomi has done you say??? What if bootloader is not at all allowed to unlock like other OEMs? Wait period is for benefit of users in my opinion. Think about it
    Yes, until you install any custom ROM.
    Hello sir , I've done all steps to unlock bootloader but the mi unlock program doesn't notice my phone
    Do i need adb or usb driver?
    But i can't find my phone's version
    Please help me do it
    Why you didn't google yourself first....