How to unlock & root Redmi 9S & 9 Pro using official tools only - fully working

Search This thread

Jul 29, 2015

MOD NOTE: This guide is only for devices with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, NOT MediaTek!

This tutorial guides you through unlocking and rooting your Redmi 9 Pro & Redmi 9S (or really any Xiaomi phone that came with MIUI11 and a Snapdragon processor) using official tools with verified sources. This is much more reliable than blindly trusting shady closed-source TWRP mods, which don't fully work or flashing pre-patched boot images, which are not meant for your phone. Note that currently there is no official TWRP for any Android 10 phone.

I have tested this myself on Redmi Note 9S Global, MIUI V11.0.8.0.QJWMIXM. Everything is working as expected, there are no issues with SU and file managers as mentioned in the other thread.

Step 1 - unlocking the bootloader
Skip this section if your phone has its bootloader already unlocked.

1) Insert a valid and mobile data enabled SIM card and sign in or create a Mi Account. This is sadly necessary, as every unlock must be approved by Xiaomi's automated system. It also forces you to wait for a full week with a countdown before unlocking is allowed. This step is necessary only once for the very first time.

2) Download Xiaomi's official unlocking tool. I encourage you to read the linked tutorial specifically the section "Unlocking Bootloader Procedure". tl;dr - you need to enable developer options, go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > Mi Unlock Status and apply for an unlock.

3) Reboot to fastboot recovery mode (hold Vol- and Power when powering on the phone) and run the Mi Unlock tool on your Windows PC. After jumping through a few hoops, you should arrive at the following screen saying that you have to wait for 168 hours.

pyqPMji.png

4) Reboot the phone and keep it powered on during the following week. When 168 hours have passed, repeat step 3 and this time it should finally unlock. Note that this erases your data, which is always the case when unlocking bootloader on any Android phone.

Step 2 - installing Magisk and patching your boot image

1) Download the official ROM from here - make sure the model of your phone and the installed firmware EXACTLY match what you're downloading. If they don't, it will most likely NOT work correctly - bootloops, wifi not working etc.

2) Install Magisk Manager (.apk) on your phone from the official Magisk repository.

3) Extract boot.img (about 128MB) from the official ROM zip you downloaded and transfer it to the phone. Click "install" in Magisk Manager and point it to boot.img. This should result in a patched magisk_patched.img (about 15MB - padding was removed), transfer this file to your computer. Ideally to the Mi Unlock folder where fastboot.exe is located.

4) Reboot your phone to fastboot recovery mode. Open a command prompt in the folder of the Mi Unlock tool and run
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
This flashes the patched Magisk-enabled bootloader to your phone.

5) Reboot the phone and that's it! Verify root status in the Magisk Manager app.

xQjkzOW.jpg

Other useful stuff

Here's a link to the official and up-to-date platform tools - ADB and fastboot: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
This is the custom near-stock Android ROM I ended up using instead of the buggy MIUI ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-9-pro/development/gsi-t4105121
There have been developments on TWRP for Android 10, but there is still no official working TWRP for devices that shipped with Android 10 - https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...h-limited-android-10-support-and-other-fixes/ (as of August 23 2020)

Last edited:

papatzis

Feb 10, 2008
Thanks for the guide please can you check IF SafetyNet check passes succefull DM verify also?

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 4 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for the guide please can you check IF SafetyNet check passes succefull DM verify also?

The SafetyNet Check outputs this:
Code:
ctsProfile: false
basicIntegrity: true

Can't verify this, but I'd say it's unlikely that you'll get things like Google Pay working reliably. From what I've read, the same goes for any rooted device.

Jul 29, 2015
Is this working on joyeuse too?

While I did not personally test it, it definitely should. As I said, the tutorial applies to any phone that came pre-installed with MIUI11 and likely any recent Xiaomi phone.

As long as the phone runs MIUI and has a single boot partition (ie. not A/B partitions), it will likely work. You just need to get the correct boot.img for your phone and Xiaomi thankfully provides the ROMs.

papatzis

Feb 10, 2008
The SafetyNet Check outputs this:
Code:
ctsProfile: false
basicIntegrity: true

Can't verify this, but I'd say it's unlikely that you'll get things like Google Pay working reliably. From what I've read, the same goes for any rooted device.
I have s redmi note 4 with android 6 and magisk both are true most bank apps are not working if anyone of these are not true.

BlackOut_94

Feb 27, 2016
Sofia
Bootloop?

Kinda new with this rooting, i reached the step 4 of part 2 and i got a successful message from the powershell after the command. I tried restarting the phone but is stuck in the boot animation (where it just says "unlocked" on the bottom of the screen and it just restarts over and over). Is this working ONLY on redmi note 9s/pro or also with the base redmi note 9? Any help would be much appreciated!

Jul 29, 2015
Kinda new with this rooting, i reached the step 4 of part 2 and i got a successful message from the powershell after the command. I tried restarting the phone but is stuck in the boot animation (where it just says "unlocked" on the bottom of the screen and it just restarts over and over). Is this working ONLY on redmi note 9s/pro or also with the base redmi note 9? Any help would be much appreciated!

It should work on Redmi Note 9. Which factory ROM did you use to source boot.img? If you can't get the patched boot.img to work, you can always flash the original one to fix the boot loop.

BlackOut_94

Feb 27, 2016
Sofia
It should work on Redmi Note 9. Which factory ROM did you use to source boot.img? If you can't get the patched boot.img to work, you can always flash the original one to fix the boot loop.

I downloaded the V11.0.4.0.QJOEUXM (MIUI11) version from the given link (checked in the phone info so i was sure to download the correct one). Then Magisk made a file and i copy/paste it into the folder with the unlocking software and fastboot.exe and i ran the command from that folder with powershell. The result was successful, so next step was to simply turn on the phone and check if everything was ok. Problem is that the phone is turning on but i can't access fastboot anymore. It just stays with "Redmi" in the middle of the screen, below it says "Unlocked" and after a couple of seconds it turns off.

Jul 29, 2015
I downloaded the V11.0.4.0.QJOEUXM (MIUI11) version from the given link (checked in the phone info so i was sure to download the correct one). Then Magisk made a file and i copy/paste it into the folder with the unlocking software and fastboot.exe and i ran the command from that folder with powershell. The result was successful, so next step was to simply turn on the phone and check if everything was ok. Problem is that the phone is turning on but i can't access fastboot anymore. It just stays with "Redmi" in the middle of the screen, below it says "Unlocked" and after a couple of seconds it turns off.

You should always be able to access fastboot, even in a bootloop (by holding Vol- and Power for 15 seconds or so), unless you've overwritten it by accident. Does this work?

Also, your phone may be using a Global ROM even if bought in the EU, as was my case.

BlackOut_94

Feb 27, 2016
Sofia
You should always be able to access fastboot, even in a bootloop (by holding Vol- and Power for 15 seconds or so), unless you've overwritten it by accident. Does this work?

Also, your phone may be using a Global ROM even if bought in the EU, as was my case.

I tried multiple times to access fastboot, without success. It's like it only recognizes the power button pressed, doesn't matter if i press volume+ or volume- is just stuck in the initial screen. (if i could access fastboot i would be able to restore the stock rom to make it work again). Is it possible to delete fastboot? If i did, idk how. There are no alternatives to make it work again? (without fastboot at least).

Thank you for the quick reply btw

papatzis

Feb 10, 2008
I tried multiple times to access fastboot, without success. It's like it only recognizes the power button pressed, doesn't matter if i press volume+ or volume- is just stuck in the initial screen. (if i could access fastboot i would be able to restore the stock rom to make it work again). Is it possible to delete fastboot? If i did, idk how. There are no alternatives to make it work again? (without fastboot at least).

What codename phone you have they're 4 codenames for the redmi note 9 series.

papatzis

Feb 10, 2008
Yes, there are not testing in Merlin are you sure you had flashed the correct rom? Very bad that it is not stay in fastboot, I have not this phone, the important is to be defected by the PC.
Try to plugin to usb with - or + or both button pressed as you connect it, also try this with the telephone powered off.
Check you pc using Device manager if in any case is defected.

Jul 29, 2015

The second option is using Xiaomi's recovery, which should be accessible by holding Vol+ and Power. Are you sure the buttons are not working? I doubt you've overwritten both recoveries. It's a bit finnicky, but you just have to hold the buttons down for quite a long time and ignore the phone restarting until you get to fastboot or recovery.

BlackOut_94

Feb 27, 2016
Sofia
Yes, there are not testing in Merlin are you sure you had flashed the correct rom? Very bad that it is not stay in fastboot, I have not this phone, the important is to be defected by the PC.
Try to plugin to usb with - or + or both button pressed as you connect it, also try this with the telephone powered off.
Check you pc using Device manager if in any case is defected.

Thanks, i tried your suggestion but didn't help unfortunately,i remember i had the debug usb active but the pc does not recognize the phone, tried also with different usb ports

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

The second option is using Xiaomi's recovery, which should be accessible by holding Vol+ and Power. Are you sure the buttons are not working? I doubt you've overwritten both recoveries. It's a bit finnicky, but you just have to hold the buttons down for quite a long time and ignore the phone restarting until you get to fastboot or recovery.

That's what i used the first time i messed up, i went to fastboot and recovered the phone without issues, but now if i keep pressed power button + any volume button it just turns on and off without doing anything else. Kept the buttons pressed for around one minute each, then my fingers started to hurt a bit

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks, i tried your suggestion but didn't help unfortunately,i remember i had the debug usb active but the pc does not recognize the phone, tried also with different usb ports

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

That's what i used the first time i messed up, i went to fastboot and recovered the phone without issues, but now if i keep pressed power button + any volume button it just turns on and off without doing anything else. Kept the buttons pressed for around one minute each, then my fingers started to hurt a bit

Huh, that's odd, I've never seen this. I was able to launch fastboot on all the phones I've had so far, no matter what.

In any case, if you manage to solve this, please post a solution here :)

Jul 29, 2015

paulb86

Nov 22, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

MOD NOTE: This guide is only for devices with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, NOT MediaTek!

This tutorial guides you through unlocking and rooting your Redmi 9 Pro & Redmi 9S (or really any Xiaomi phone that came with MIUI11 and a Snapdragon processor) using official tools with verified sources. This is much more reliable than blindly trusting shady closed-source TWRP mods, which don't fully work or flashing pre-patched boot images, which are not meant for your phone. Note that currently there is no official TWRP for any Android 10 phone.

I have tested this myself on Redmi Note 9S Global, MIUI V11.0.8.0.QJWMIXM. Everything is working as expected, there are no issues with SU and file managers as mentioned in the other thread.

Step 1 - unlocking the bootloader
    Skip this section if your phone has its bootloader already unlocked.

1) Insert a valid and mobile data enabled SIM card and sign in or create a Mi Account. This is sadly necessary, as every unlock must be approved by Xiaomi's automated system. It also forces you to wait for a full week with a countdown before unlocking is allowed. This step is necessary only once for the very first time.

2) Download Xiaomi's official unlocking tool. I encourage you to read the linked tutorial specifically the section "Unlocking Bootloader Procedure". tl;dr - you need to enable developer options, go to Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > Mi Unlock Status and apply for an unlock.

3) Reboot to fastboot recovery mode (hold Vol- and Power when powering on the phone) and run the Mi Unlock tool on your Windows PC. After jumping through a few hoops, you should arrive at the following screen saying that you have to wait for 168 hours.

pyqPMji.png

4) Reboot the phone and keep it powered on during the following week. When 168 hours have passed, repeat step 3 and this time it should finally unlock. Note that this erases your data, which is always the case when unlocking bootloader on any Android phone.

Step 2 - installing Magisk and patching your boot image

1) Download the official ROM from here - make sure the model of your phone and the installed firmware EXACTLY match what you're downloading. If they don't, it will most likely NOT work correctly - bootloops, wifi not working etc.

2) Install Magisk Manager (.apk) on your phone from the official Magisk repository.

3) Extract boot.img (about 128MB) from the official ROM zip you downloaded and transfer it to the phone. Click "install" in Magisk Manager and point it to boot.img. This should result in a patched magisk_patched.img (about 15MB - padding was removed), transfer this file to your computer. Ideally to the Mi Unlock folder where fastboot.exe is located.

4) Reboot your phone to fastboot recovery mode. Open a command prompt in the folder of the Mi Unlock tool and run
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    This flashes the patched Magisk-enabled bootloader to your phone.

5) Reboot the phone and that's it! Verify root status in the Magisk Manager app.

xQjkzOW.jpg

Other useful stuff

Here's a link to the official and up-to-date platform tools - ADB and fastboot: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    This is the custom near-stock Android ROM I ended up using instead of the buggy MIUI ROM: https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-9-pro/development/gsi-t4105121
    There have been developments on TWRP for Android 10, but there is still no official working TWRP for devices that shipped with Android 10 - https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...h-limited-android-10-support-and-other-fixes/ (as of August 23 2020)
    is it working good? what recovery do you use?

There is no stable and fully working recovery for Android 10 yet, unfortunately.

How data is used to unlock the bootloader?
    I want to root this phone.

Since we have to have a phone service to unlock the phone, how much data is used?
    I have no cell plan and have to get a prepaid sim.
    Thx, d.

It's hard to know for sure, because it's some proprietary Xiaomi stuff, but it seems it transferred very little data, probably just some auth tokens and such. It's quite dumb they force you to use mobile data just to unlock the bootloader.
    Allright, now I have a question of my own, the latest MIUI update has been rolled out to my device. My device is rooted as per the guide in the OP, Joyeuse version.

Can I take this update via OTA or do I have to reflash the stock boot.img from 11.0.03.0 before I take this OTA?

Thanks and regards from the Netherlands!

https://bigota.d.miui.com/V11.0.4.0...AGlobal_V11.0.4.0.QJZEUXM_fd5baa5f96_10.0.zip

Okay, for the ones in the same situation I've managed to install the OTA without bricking / bootlooping etc. The way I've managed it is described below. Prerequisite: rooted phone with stock MIUI and stock recovery)

I cannnot stress enough that using this guide is at your own risk. Triple check the firmware files you download because if you **** up with a firmware for a different mainboard you can potentially hard brick the device.

1) Download the full ROM update from: https://c.mi.com/oc/miuidownload/detail?device=1900378
    2) Open the ZIP file and extract the boot.img file, transfer it to your phone / SD card.
    3) Open Magisk manager and select install (source). Point Magisk to the boot.img you've just transferred to your device and patch the boot. Magisk will create the patched boot in /0/download.
    4) Transfer the patched boot image to your PC preferably in the same directory where you keep your ADB toolkit, we'll need to flash this file later.
    5) Now back in Magisk manager select uninstall at the bottom and select "Restore Images". (source) This will restore the system so that no security checks will be tripped during the OTA.
    6) Download and install the OTA. Let the device reboot when it needs to.
    7) As soon as the device has started (which took a while in my case) you can plug in the USB cable in your PC, (administrator CMD window) and type: abd reboot bootloader. The device will enter fastboot with the communist bunny :p.
    8) Now you can flash the patched boot file which was created in step 3 and 4. Type: fastboot flash boot YOUR_MAGISK_PATCHED_BOOT.img
    9) When the flashing has completed type: fastboot reboot

And your phone is up to date and rooted again.

Regards,

Thijs
    Please stop playing with your phone life!
    You are on RN9 that is Mediatek powered and not Qualcomm as S and P type are.
    Be patient and wait for a MTK rom release.

Well the title says this works for the 9 model so i wanted to contribute clarifing it does not. Only for 9s and 9pro
    Im trying to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 pro , i have done all the steps correctlty , my device will get recognized at adb but not at fastboot to unlock the bootloader . any ideas what i should do?
    I think you have to get it officially unlocked by xiaomi? Register, request unlock, wait how weever many hours and then unlock it with their app... At least that's how it used to be.