How To Guide How To: Unlock the T-Mobile Bootloader

Search This thread

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello all, this is a quick and simple guide to unlocking your T-Mobile locked bootloader. Just a reminder: unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data. The instructions here will apply to all T-Mobile OnePlus devices.

1. Unlock your SIM. Some options here
    1. Finding a sympathetic rep to unlock your device. I used the I'm a developer and need the device unlocked for work purposes and took 2 agents before I got mine unlocked.
    2. Finding an awesome XDAer who has the capability to do it, such as https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ng-service-oneplus-samsung-google-lg.4231597/ (never used this service, just an example but he seems active and still unlocking)
    3. Paying a (trusted) 3rd party service. I never used them, YMMV
    4. T-Mobile's official policy of waiting 40 days and paying off any balance on an EIP.
  2. Toggle OEM Unlocking in Developer Options.
  3. Jot down your IMEI with *#06#
  4. Reboot the device to bootloader. You can do this via ADB or advanced reboot options in Developer Options.
  5. On a computer with latest fastboot and OnePlus drivers installed, run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_unlock_code
  6. Fill out the unlock application on OP's site: https://www.oneplus.com/unlock_token You should have all the necessary information to fill it out now.
  7. Wait for the unlock application to be processed. It can take up to 2 weeks, or even longer on a new device. You can enjoy your still-locked OP9P for now.
  8. Once the unlock application is processed, download the unlock file from the unlock site above, save it (as an example, I saved it as unlock.bin)
  9. With your device in bootloader again, run:
    Code:
    fastboot flash cust-unlock [path/to/unlock.bin]
    In my example, from the CWD as the unlock.bin file, I would run
    Code:
    fastboot flash cust-unlock unlock.bin
  10. Unlock your bootloader with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

Congrats, your OnePlus device should now be unlocked!

Last edited:

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just keep trying, sometimes you get really unlucky. I have made $0 payment so far and had it unlocked on the first day I took it home. The store won't be able to help though. I used phone(8T) / facebook(9pro), twitter should be the same team as facebook and these are your best bets.

BigFuzzyBush

Nov 25, 2010
Fort Walton Beach
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello all, this is a quick and simple guide to unlocking your T-Mobile locked bootloader. Just a reminder: unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data. The instructions here will apply to all T-Mobile OnePlus devices.

1. Finding a sympathetic rep to unlock your device. I used the I'm a developer and need the device unlocked for work purposes and took 2 agents before I got mine unlocked.
    2. Finding an awesome XDAer who has the capability to do it, such as https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ng-service-oneplus-samsung-google-lg.4231597/ (never used this service, just an example but he seems active and still unlocking)
    4. T-Mobile's official policy of waiting 40 days and paying off any balance on an EIP.
  4. Reboot the device to bootloader. You can do this via ADB or advanced reboot options in Developer Options.
    Code:
  6. Fill out the unlock application on OP's site: https://www.oneplus.com/unlock_token You should have all the necessary information to fill it out now.
  7. Wait for the unlock application to be processed. It can take up to 2 weeks, or even longer on a new device. You can enjoy your still-locked OP9P for now.
  8. Once the unlock application is processed, download the unlock file from the unlock site above, save it (as an example, I saved it as unlock.bin)
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

Just bought my OP9 Pro this am from T-mobile. Bought it on a promo so they were hesitant to unlock the device but I told them I was an Android Dev and travel world wide and not only did he not make me pay it off to unlock it he refused to take my money and whitelisted my phone before even activating it. So to their point above or below, keep trying and you will get someone nice. Or change your story. Up to you

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
I was able to get it unlocked via T-Mobiles twitter support on one try, Maybe because I payed off half the device already . Keep trying

They gave me a temporary unlock but I still can't toggle the oem unlocking button its greyed out. Am I doing something wrong.

Both of you have made statements that sound like you are talking about SIM unlocking. This is bootloader unlocking and is not related. T-Mobile support isn't there for you to unlock your bootloader and yes they will grant a temporary sim unlock if you need it.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
They gave me a temporary unlock but I still can't toggle the oem unlocking button its greyed out. Am I doing something wrong.

Temporary unlock doesn't work, must be permanent. If you are really unlucky with support, try #2, he's active and currently unlocking 9 series.

Both of you have made statements that sound like you are talking about SIM unlocking. This is bootloader unlocking and is not related. T-Mobile support isn't there for you to unlock your bootloader and yes they will grant a temporary sim unlock if you need it.

Read OP, permanent SIM unlock must be acquired before OEM Unlocking is available (or we are waiting for an exploit). Temp unlock does nothing in the context of getting the BL unlocked.

Persianhawkes

Sep 24, 2012
Virginia Beach
OnePlus 9 Pro
Temporary unlock doesn't work, must be permanent. If you are really unlucky with support, try #2, he's active and currently unlocking 9 series.

Read OP, permanent SIM unlock must be acquired before OEM Unlocking is available (or we are waiting for an exploit). Temp unlock does nothing in the context of getting the BL unlocked.
I contacted him hopefully he can come through for me. Really want to root

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5

Oh Geeze. I hadn't looked too closely yet as I just got the phone yesterday. But there goes one of the key reasons for getting the One Plus over the S21 lol. It's on a Sprint account and they couldn't activate it with the T-Mobile sim (according to the rep) so that 1 guy can't help. Geeze. Makes me miss the days of affordable flagships you could buy outright easy.

I was excited to be back in the scene but it might have to wait until later when I have more of a reason for it.

Reactions: therussiann

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
Oh Geeze. I hadn't looked too closely yet as I just got the phone yesterday. But there goes one of the key reasons for getting the One Plus over the S21 lol. It's on a Sprint account and they couldn't activate it with the T-Mobile sim (according to the rep) so that 1 guy can't help. Geeze. Makes me miss the days of affordable flagships you could buy outright easy.

I was excited to be back in the scene but it might have to wait until later when I have more of a reason for it.
You can just put a tmobile sim in a Sprint branded phone, it'll be fine. Go to a tmobile store and ask for tnx sim if you have everything paid off. Otherwise call sprint and get a tnx sim.

Sep 6, 2009
Florida
So I know this isn't the proper place but wanted to ask some opinions or maybe somebody can point me in the right place if needed got T-Mobile's OnePlus 9 didn't want purple box said silver opened it up yep it's purple!! Rep didn't know what to do so I took it home I'm going back thinking of switching to the pro but $75 I think restocking fee is it worth switching to the 9 pro. Any info and possibly reason to switch outside of purple would be appreciated thank you

razercortex

• Apr 8, 2018
    Depends on what you use your phone for. You can look up the differences. Personally, the regular OnePlus 9 should be ok and you'd be better off waiting for the upcoming series before upgrading, but that's just a recommendation.

shmallow

Jan 21, 2012
    Hey guys, just wanting to make sure I understand the process. I haven't been rooting or unlocking a bootloader since android introduced their different pay apps and all major carriers started locking their bootloaders. So the OP post says you need to attain an unlocked sim to be able to get the unlock iem option. So then it would be needed for t-mobile devices that were purchased from one plus, right?

magnus0322

Apr 1, 2009
    Sunrise, FL
    Hey guys, just wanting to make sure I understand the process. I haven't been rooting or unlocking a bootloader since android introduced their different pay apps and all major carriers started locking their bootloaders. So the OP post says you need to attain an unlocked sim to be able to get the unlock iem option. So then it would be needed for t-mobile devices that were purchased from one plus, right?
    If you purchased your phone from OnePlus it would already be sim unlocked

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
    OnePlus 8T
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    This thread only deals with T-mobile branded models (op9p would be model LE2127, for example). If you bought from the oneplus website, the instructions here won't apply

Persianhawkes

Sep 24, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    Screenshot_20210409-063431.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Is this a OP9 series issue? I've never had to do this with 7 or 8 series from Tmo to Global... 🤔
      It's an OP9 Pro issue afaik, doesn't affect regular OP9
      Looks like the site is fixed, just downloaded my unlock bin. 288bytes
      Is this a OP9 series issue? I've never had to do this with 7 or 8 series from Tmo to Global... 🤔
      Go read the OP. Things have changed with OnePlus and Tmo devices. Example,no longer able to update zip from system update. No cog wheel anymore. TMobile seems to be trying to lock it down. Fortunately this guyade us a workaround to get EU rom for us. Read the description it's not a bug

Code:
        Code:
        Code:
        Code:
        fastboot oem unlock

The unlock token came for me in exactly 7 days and 1 hour.

The magisk and stock boot.img for 11.2.2.2 is below for T-Mobile variant root
      It's an OP9 Pro issue afaik, doesn't affect regular OP9
      Hello all and thanks for all the work you guys have been doing so far.

Got my oneplus 9pro5g Tmo last sat, got the unlock code wed and today iam unlocked. wooohooooo.. now its time to start having some fun with this phone. Its been a while since i been playing around with roms and stuff.. Let the games begin.. I am new to the oneplus family but have been modding samsung galaxy series untill the last rootable note 8...