• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to UNROOT the Jelly Bean 4.1.1?

Search This thread

tojonegi

Oct 9, 2010
Okay, I was on ICS 4.0.4 Yakju build. I flashed it using Gnex tool kit and then rooted the phone as well. Also left the bootloaded unlocked.
Today I received the OTA 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update. I began with the procedure and it downloaded well and good but then the installation was interrupted and the phone booted into my old 4.0.4 version. As it turns out, you should not accept the OTA update if you're rooted (lucky, I got away with it). I dont exactly know what caused my installation to fail, the root or the unlocked bootloader or both. Anyway, I used Gnex Tool Kit and 'Flashed the Google Factory Stock Rom' (exactly the same way how I got the yakju 4.0.4 build in the first place) , that left my phone with just as new Stock 4.0.4, UNROOTED with locked bootloader! Just like out of the box. Then I went on with my OTA update and it went through like a charm.
Anyway, now I'm on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. I want to root the phone because I use too many apps that requires root access. So the latest version of Gnex Tool Kit (7.4) supports Jelly Bean root. But I dont wanna Root my phone this time unless I know how to UnRoot it. Don't wanna go against OTAs. (might start using CM rom when the next android version comes out) but till then I only want OTA updates.
So, can anyone tell me how to UNROOT the 4.1.1 Jelly Bean? (without wipe or deleting all the data) It'll be awesome if it can be done by Gnext Tool Kit. If not, then I dont mind doing it the hard way.
I wanted to post this question in 'Gnext toolkit' forum but I dont have enough privileges. So please help me out :)
As you can see I'm a noob. So please excuse my ignorance :/
Thanks a lot :)

Unlawful

Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
Well root and your bootloader status (unlocked or not) really shouldn't affect your ability to receive an OTA IIRC. It should still work successfully although you may lose root.

Anywho, to unroot all you have to do is delete the 'superuser' application whether it be Superuser or SuperSu and then delete 'su' in /system/bin. That should work though IMO the cleanest way to unroot is to just restore the stock images.

tojonegi

Oct 9, 2010
Anywho, to unroot all you have to do is delete the 'superuser' application whether it be Superuser or SuperSu and then delete 'su' in /system/bin. That should work though IMO the cleanest way to unroot is to just restore the stock images.

Well, I guess you cant uninstall SuperUser. I tried that before updating but it acts like a system app and you cant delete it, unless you have 'System app remover' software, but then again it needs Root access to work so the whole thing is pointless I guess o_O

And restore stock image HOW? I mean can you elaborate a lil please! :)
Using Gnex Tool Kit, which option? (my guess, 'Flash Google Factory Stock Rom' cuz for me it works but it wipes all your data.. backup solution?)

N

Niallfitzy1

Super su has an unroot option :)
Here's a screenshot attached :)

Hit Thanks if i helped :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342281905466.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342281905466.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,282
N

Niallfitzy1

Hey thanks :)
But does it work on Jelly Bean?? Also, when you Root Gnex using ToolKit then you have SuperUser and not SuperSU :| Whats the way around it?

Installing supersu and giving it root access to update such binary removes original superuser apps control :) you can switch just by downloading super su :) so it should work, cannot test myself though

Hit thanks if I helped