• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How to update firmware without data loss on rooted device

Search This thread

ankit255

Jul 17, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi
I have a S21 ultra Exynos variant with twrp and Magisk root. If I flash new firmware I would lose all apps and data due to having to wipe from twrp to circumvent the encryption issue.
Is there any way to backup all apps and data to flash the newest firmware with HOME_CSC and then do a restore to get as close as possible to an OTA update?

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Best way is clean install and restore user app + data with some tool like swift backup or similar (Needs to backup first)

To update dirty,
Download full newer firmware and patch AP file using magisk and flash using Odin, same time you needs to Select bootloader, modem file and HOme_csc* file on respective tab in Odin
Also Same time select twtp+patched vbmeta on user tab of odin
Don't boot device to Android but,
Force reboot to TWRP and apply multidisabler
Now you can reboot to Android and all data will be there

Reactions: tiho5

ankit255

Jul 17, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Best way is clean install and restore user app + data with some tool like swift backup or similar (Needs to backup first)

To update dirty,
Download full newer firmware and patch AP file using magisk and flash using Odin, same time you needs to Select bootloader, modem file and HOme_csc* file on respective tab in Odin
Thanks for the reply. Can you please provide me a little more details in the steps? When I apply multidisabler I would need to do wipe and format right which would destroy the data else I would have partition errors?

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Can you please provide me a little more details in the steps? When I apply multidisabler I would need to do wipe and format right which would destroy the data else I would have partition errors?
If you are already on twrp then you don't need to to format data. It is required when you first time flash twrp. But keep in mind, if you failed to apply multidisabler before booting device, You may lose data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To update dirty,