[HOW-TO] Update google play system update manually on any android phone 10+

Search This thread

n1kolaa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2011
Zrenjanin
OnePlus Nord
So you phone stuck at older google play system update like my and every time you try to check for it says you have last version. You dont need to unlock phone or to root it. Update is instaled as normal apk file. Do it at your own risk! Im not resposibole if you done something bad to your phone Link to download Google play system update click on link and install it.
What it updates?
  • Security: Media Codecs, Media Framework Components, DNS Resolver, Conscrypt
  • Privacy: Documents UI, Permission Controller, ExtServices
  • Consistency: Timezone data, ANGLE (developers opt-in), Module Metadata, Networking components, Captive Portal Login, Network Permission Configuration
More about Google pay system update on link.

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
So you phone stuck at older google play system update like my and every time you try to check for it says you have last version. You dont need to unlock phone or to root it. Update is instaled as normal apk file. Do it at your own risk! Im not resposibole if you done something bad to your phone Link to download Google play system update click on link and install it.
What it updates?
  • Consistency: Timezone data, ANGLE (developers opt-in), Module Metadata, Networking components, Captive Portal Login, Network Permission Configuration

I've been using that apk for months because my OP7 was "stuck" on a Play System version that was several months old, but I just found out that it doesn't actually update Play System - it merely changes the displayed DATE to make it look updated. That also explains why it's only 21kb and why it never prompted for a reboot like the actual update does.

Any idea how/where to get the real thing? Seems everybody and every link point to that (bogus) update :rolleyes:

So you phone stuck at older google play system update like my and every time you try to check for it says you have last version. You dont need to unlock phone or to root it. Update is instaled as normal apk file. Do it at your own risk! Im not resposibole if you done something bad to your phone

Does this .apk actually provide any of the content updates or is it only updating the date displayed?

As mentioned, seeing how the official update requires a reboot and is usually >10MB while this.apk doesn't need a reboot and is a measly 20KB, I doubt it's usefulness (and even suspect it)...

n1kolaa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2011
Zrenjanin
OnePlus Nord
Its true, foundout it recently its just changes number but real app contan specific changes. After using this fake update twice it got fixed and now I can normaly update it few days after updating mountly

CMC_PUBLIKUM

Jul 26, 2010
Apparently the only way to remove this app after installing it is to use ADB, so I'll leave the command here in case anyone needs it.
Code:
adb uninstall com.google.android.modulemetadata
So that command is to uninstall the sh... of the "Main Components" from apkmirror?

I tried in May since mine was stuck on January or February but i found it "suspicious" since it's a really small file. Then i saw people saying that it only changes the date on the Google Play System Updates and not actually update it.

Now we're on July and mine remains with 1st of May 🤬

Last edited:

CMC_PUBLIKUM

Jul 26, 2010
So anyone that installed the crap from apkmirror found how to solve this situation (deleting the apkmirror fake update and get the real one)?

CMC_PUBLIKUM

Jul 26, 2010
Its true, foundout it recently its just changes number but real app contan specific changes. After using this fake update twice it got fixed and now I can normaly update it few days after updating mountly
How did you got it fixed? Was only by using the apkmirror "solution" and then it began to update automatically?

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
How did you got it fixed? Was only by using the apkmirror "solution" and then it began to update automatically?

I used that "fake" apk earlier this year and never uninstalled it. But tapping on the Play System Update and "Check for updates" eventually sorted my device - now it gets the update monthly (with the exception of July which Google seems to have skipped). I do however check manually all the time since there's no logic as to which day/date the update appears.

palamida78

Mar 18, 2016
Bucharest
Hello! Do not install manually this will damage the phones. I manually installed motorola one action on my phone and now it shows me September 1, 2021, not August, and what is strange is that it updates this application and remains on September 1.
ap_resize.php
I deactivated the updates from google play service and in vain it remains on September 1, 2021 I think that only a reset on the whole phone brings the phone to the state it was in

Main components 2021-08-01

August 14, 2021

Attachments

• photo_2021-08-27_15-18-21.jpg
    photo_2021-08-27_15-18-21.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 563

mchangila

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hey guys I also installed the same apk from apk mirror and later on found out in here that it is not as genuine as it seems.

I would like to ask if by installing the apk, will it hinder me from getting future software updates??

Please help since I cannot find a way to uninstall it 😔

mchangila

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10
I used that "fake" apk earlier this year and never uninstalled it. But tapping on the Play System Update and "Check for updates" eventually sorted my device - now it gets the update monthly (with the exception of July which Google seems to have skipped). I do however check manually all the time since there's no logic as to which day/date the update appears.
What device are you using if you don't mind?? Mine is an S10 and it was stuck on the June 2021 update till I installed the apk and it is currently at 1st August 2021... My worry is that my device might not support future software updates

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
What device are you using if you don't mind?? Mine is an S10 and it was stuck on the June 2021 update till I installed the apk and it is currently at 1st August 2021... My worry is that my device might not support future software updates
Mine is OP 7 and also still on August now ... looks like Google is skipping the September update just like it did the July one. I wonder if for some odd reason they're only updating every 2 months now? :unsure:
I'm almost sure that the age of your device is unrelated to Play System Updates since they have nothing to do with your device security patches ;)

mchangila

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10
Mine is OP 7 and also still on August now ... looks like Google is skipping the September update just like it did the July one. I wonder if for some odd reason they're only updating every 2 months now? :unsure:
I'm almost sure that the age of your device is unrelated to Play System Updates since they have nothing to do with your device security patches ;)
Initially, I was receiving monthly patches as samsung's update schedule until I missed the July update but updated to the August update while the google play system update still remained to the June 2021 patch...

Has that affected you monthly device software updates?

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Initially, I was receiving monthly patches as samsung's update schedule until I missed the July update but updated to the August update while the google play system update still remained to the June 2021 patch...

Has that affected you monthly device software updates?
What software updates lol? I'm staying on OOS 10 because I can't stand Android 11, so I haven't gotten any (device/rom) updates since this spring as they are done updating the "old" OOS 10.

I used to get the Play System Updates monthly but now they seem to skip every other month, no idea why. It's with everybody though, nothing to do with you or me. Guess we just have to be patient and wait for Google to get back to a monthly update schedule ;)

mchangila

Sep 28, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S10
What software updates lol? I'm staying on OOS 10 because I can't stand Android 11, so I haven't gotten any (device/rom) updates since this spring as they are done updating the "old" OOS 10.

I used to get the Play System Updates monthly but now they seem to skip every other month, no idea why. It's with everybody though, nothing to do with you or me. Guess we just have to be patient and wait for Google to get back to a monthly update schedule ;)
Yeah I gues so...

Thanks man!!..😊

Reactions: Nimueh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What it updates?
    What it updates?

I've been using that apk for months because my OP7 was "stuck" on a Play System version that was several months old, but I just found out that it doesn't actually update Play System - it merely changes the displayed DATE to make it look updated. That also explains why it's only 21kb and why it never prompted for a reboot like the actual update does.

Any idea how/where to get the real thing? Seems everybody and every link point to that (bogus) update :rolleyes:
    Apparently the only way to remove this app after installing it is to use ADB, so I'll leave the command here in case anyone needs it.
    Code:
    adb uninstall com.google.android.modulemetadata
    In the past I've done this and it worked yes. I do however fear just loading some random apk nowadays more because of all the malware that's alive out there. :/

Yeah I gues so...

Thanks man!!..😊