How to update Lineage OS in device?

Search This thread

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
but making a backup will get my now installed version back so also the old security patch i guess?

so with the dirty flash method when i reboot again i still have my apps i have installed at this moment ?
Yes. Backup is for restoring old configuration in case something goes wrong.
Wih dirty flash not only your apps will survive. All your app data, settings, accounts home screen layout... That's what built in OTA updater in official LOS does every week.

Lakesidepark

Jan 30, 2018
HTC One M8 with Lineage 14.1 update process?

Hi - I have read through a bunch of these questions but can't seem to find the answer to my question so I am posting this.

I have been able to download updates onto my phone and when I click on the downloaded icon it reboots the phone to TWRP main menu. I am not sure if I need to hit 'Install' from that window or 'reboot'. I have hit reboot several times because I am afraid to hit install since I am not sure I need to do that...I thought the install of the update would happen automatically. I tried clicking on the Dec 14, 2017 update and if goes to TWRP but does not get removed from the update list. I clicked on the same Dec 14 download again and it goes to TWRP window again so I am not sure the update is being completed. Do I have to click on 'install' once in TWRP to complete the update install process?

Thanks for your help

Pete

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hi - I have read through a bunch of these questions but can't seem to find the answer to my question so I am posting this.

I have been able to download updates onto my phone and when I click on the downloaded icon it reboots the phone to TWRP main menu. I am not sure if I need to hit 'Install' from that window or 'reboot'. I have hit reboot several times because I am afraid to hit install since I am not sure I need to do that...I thought the install of the update would happen automatically. I tried clicking on the Dec 14, 2017 update and if goes to TWRP but does not get removed from the update list. I clicked on the same Dec 14 download again and it goes to TWRP window again so I am not sure the update is being completed. Do I have to click on 'install' once in TWRP to complete the update install process?

Thanks for your help

Pete
In TWRP there should run a "open recovery script". That should install the update and reboot to system. Sounds like in your case the script didn't start, or stopped at some point. Look in the thread of your rom for the recommended TWRP and complications with update.
You can open a terminal like window in TWRP. Maybe there you can see at what stage the script stopped.
You can see in LOS settings "about phone" the installed version. Did it change with update? When not, go to TWRP and install it manually.

Lakesidepark

Jan 30, 2018
In TWRP there should run a "open recovery script". That should install the update and reboot to system. Sounds like in your case the script didn't start, or stopped at some point. Look in the thread of your rom for the recommended TWRP and complications with update.
You can open a terminal like window in TWRP. Maybe there you can see at what stage the script stopped.
You can see in LOS settings "about phone" the installed version. Did it change with update? When not, go to TWRP and install it manually.

Thanks for your reply. I think the script started in TWRP but I got the error "zip signature verification failed". I searched for that error and have seen lots of info about disabling zip verification, wiping the device etc. Should I try disabling zip verification?

The installed version is still the 14.1 version I installed Nov 23, 2017 so it looks like the updates did not get installed.

I have TWRP 3.3.1-0 . I tried updating TWRP using the play store but it did not seem to change to 3.2.1-0 so maybe it is not updated for HTC One M8

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Thanks for your reply. I think the script started in TWRP but I got the error "zip signature verification failed". I searched for that error and have seen lots of info about disabling zip verification, wiping the device etc. Should I try disabling zip verification?

The installed version is still the 14.1 version I installed Nov 23, 2017 so it looks like the updates did not get installed.

I have TWRP 3.3.1-0 . I tried updating TWRP using the play store but it did not seem to change to 3.2.1-0 so maybe it is not updated for HTC One M8
You don't need a twrp app. You need a recovery.IMG from twrp.

Last edited:

Lakesidepark

Jan 30, 2018
You don't need a twrp app. You need a recovery.IMG from twrp.

I downloaded the latest twrp .img file and followed these instructions https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ and now the phone only goes into the fastboot screen. when I select reboot or power down the phone comes back onto the fastboot screen only. did I brick the phone? I have adb and fastboot on my PC running a cmd window to connect to the phone. a little distressed now

UPDATE - I used adb fastboot reboot and was able to get the phone to start up normally. Should I try running the built in lineage os updater again to see if gets past the zip file error in twrp?

Last edited:

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I downloaded the latest twrp .img file and followed these instructions https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ and now the phone only goes into the fastboot screen. when I select reboot or power down the phone comes back onto the fastboot screen only. did I brick the phone? I have adb and fastboot on my PC running a cmd window to connect to the phone. a little distressed now

UPDATE - I used adb fastboot reboot and was able to get the phone to start up normally. Should I try running the built in lineage os updater again to see if gets past the zip file error in twrp?
Looking like too many errors. First make sure you really have the phone you think you have. Next go to twrp, make the default backup, go back to LOS and try update.

Lakesidepark

Jan 30, 2018
Looking like too many errors. First make sure you really have the phone you think you have. Next go to twrp, make the default backup, go back to LOS and try update.

You were correct - i had the wrong .img for twrp. Thanks for that. I successfully updated twrp to 3.2.1 and tried the LOS update again. Phone booted to twrp and script ran and I am getting the 'zip signature verification failed' error again as I was getting originally. Do I need to uncheck 'zip signature verification' in TWRP settings and try again?

GirishSharma

Feb 19, 2015
Ajmer, Rajasthan
Updated to nightly 25 April, 2018 but still camera is not taking photos in landscape mode, while it is taking photos in portrait mode.

Update: It is taking, if I off HDR mode.

Last edited:

...kuba...

Nov 13, 2018
Hey, I have a problem: I lost the settings and application after the update LineageOS ROM.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) smartphone with LineageOS 14.1 and I wanted to do a ROM update while maintaining the settings and installed applications.
I downloaded a new ROM: lineage-14.1-20181109-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip and as in the instructions I placed it on the SD card. Then I turned on the phone in recovery mode TWRP (v.3.2.3-0) and chose Install. I've found the file: lineage-14.1-20181109-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip and "Swipe to confirm Flash". After uploading, Wipe the cache, reebot device. I got a wizard on the screen to set up a new phone and select a Google account and after completing the phone, as if it was restored to the factory settings ;/
How do I update the ROM so that the new phone setup screen does not show, only old applications? do i need to backup and restore it ??

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hey, I have a problem: I lost the settings and application after the update LineageOS ROM.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) smartphone with LineageOS 14.1 and I wanted to do a ROM update while maintaining the settings and installed applications.
I downloaded a new ROM: lineage-14.1-20181109-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip and as in the instructions I placed it on the SD card. Then I turned on the phone in recovery mode TWRP (v.3.2.3-0) and chose Install. I've found the file: lineage-14.1-20181109-nightly-jfltexx-signed.zip and "Swipe to confirm Flash". After uploading, Wipe the cache, reebot device. I got a wizard on the screen to set up a new phone and select a Google account and after completing the phone, as if it was restored to the factory settings ;/
How do I update the ROM so that the new phone setup screen does not show, only old applications? do i need to backup and restore it ??
Strange. The procedure you have written is OK for all ROM. For official lineageOS you additionally have the possibility to do it automated in settings/about phone/updates.

The symptoms you describe sound like you have by mistake done some factory reset or wipe data.

To be safe from such mistakes I do backups of system and data in twrp.

...kuba...

Nov 13, 2018
Ok. Thanks for answering. Because everything on the phone has already been removed, I have re-inserted ROM on LineageOS 14.1 but before that I changed the partition format / data and / cache to f2fs, is that a good idea? will this prevent me from updating to LineageOS 15.1/16? I have one more question about the SD card in the configuration "Set up your SD card" I set "Use as internal storage" is it a good idea? and after removing the card (ommit the files: music, photos, video) the applications will still work properly?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Ok. Thanks for answering. Because everything on the phone has already been removed, I have re-inserted ROM on LineageOS 14.1 but before that I changed the partition format / data and / cache to f2fs, is that a good idea? will this prevent me from updating to LineageOS 15.1/16? I have one more question about the SD card in the configuration "Set up your SD card" I set "Use as internal storage" is it a good idea? and after removing the card (ommit the files: music, photos, video) the applications will still work properly?
F2fs: handle with care! Each ROM you flash you first have to check: does it support f2fs for all partitions you formatted?
Adopted storage: it's not meant to be removed. I prefer mobile storage.

...kuba...

Nov 13, 2018
Adopted storage: it's not meant to be removed. I prefer mobile storage.
Ok. I will pay attention to f2fs support, before installing rom. Did you mean to set the card to "Use as a portable storage" and use it as an external storage, or on "Use as internal storage" and not remove it from the phone? Sory, I did not understand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey I need help updating my phone. Using a SM-G900v, noticed I had an update for my device. I've downloaded the singed file but where can I find it to install in TWRP?
    Should boot to TWRP, and update automatically. If not the file is here:

/data/data/org.lineageos.updater/app_updates
    I searched that on ES File Explorer, also in recovery mode. Got nothing. I think I'm gonna have to download it manually by PC/laptop. Is there a way to not lose data while updating? I'm clearly a noob @ this. This is my first phone with a custom ROM and recovery.
    You would need a file explorer with root access to find the file while booted. However the file is definitely accessible via TWRP, and is definitely there of you see "INSTALL" in the updater. Just make sure you get the path right - it is not in the "SDCARD" directory - you will need to go up to the root directory first, before going to data/data/...etc.

I think there is an existing bug affecting some some devices regarding the recovery script that should allow this to happen automatically.

Just dirty flash - as long as you are not explicitly/intentionally wiping data partition, your data will be fine.
    Thanks for that, it does seem to suggest you may be correct, however I have only ever downloaded manually via the LOS website and then flash manually with TWRP (not started from LOS updater) which was why I thought it was TWRP. Possibly they are two separate issues?

The latest LOS arrived yesterday, & my final test.

This time I just downloaded latest LOS & rebooted my phone to TWRP.
    Maneuvered into /data/data/org.lineageos.updater/app_updates/ where the update is downloaded.
    Then I installed Latest update from there & encountered NO problems... No wiping cache etc needed.

So don't ever use this internal install after downloading zip. You will run into this signing issue.
    This is the first time I encounter install files that gets corrupted/written to. Lessen learned.
    Otherwise, LOS works excellent on my sony experia v.
    Should boot to TWRP, and update automatically. If not the file is here:

/data/data/org.lineageos.updater/app_updates
    I searched that on ES File Explorer, also in recovery mode. Got nothing. I think I'm gonna have to download it manually by PC/laptop. Is there a way to not lose data while updating? I'm clearly a noob @ this. This is my first phone with a custom ROM and recovery.

thanks for your help. removing the .zip verification check did the trick. LOS update worked as designed