How to update newest images without wiping or losing TWRP ?

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
When there's a new image next month I want to update to can I just use fastboot and flash everything except recovery then reboot and keep.twrp and ha e the newest image without losing data ?

Fastboot flash

Bootloader
Modem
System
Syatem_other
Vendor

Skipping the others then reboot and still have TWRP ? Right now my goal is just to use a stock image, ElementalX kernel and root with TWRP. Just passing on the custom ROMs right now

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
There's a lot of . img files.

This is more complex than my Nexus 5x which just had a few . img

I don't understand which is which
You can't do what you want to do because recovery is located in the boot.img file on the Pixel. There is no dedicated recovery partition like on other phones. The only way to do it would be to flash everything but the boot.img file. That may work but if you did do that, you'd miss out on any security updates or whatever other updates there may be to the kernel. I'd recommend just flashing it all. It doesn't take very long to flash TWRP again. A minor inconvenience if you ask me.

Reactions: mikeprius

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
You can't do what you want to do because recovery is located in the boot.img file on the Pixel. There is no dedicated recovery partition like on other phones. The only way to do it would be to flash everything but the boot.img file. That may work but if you did do that, you'd miss out on any security updates or whatever other updates there may be to the kernel. I'd recommend just flashing it all. It doesn't take very long to flash TWRP again. A minor inconvenience if you ask me.

Ok thanks for the info. I've been flashing for awhile, but the set up here is very different than prior phones.

So pretty much just run the flash-all.bat, TWRP.img, TRWP.zip, the SuperSU ?

Can I modify the flash-all to prevent wiping, or is it just best to re-do everything fresh ?

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I think THIS can help. Follow method 2 - manual.
But skip recovery.img and cache.img (also because there aren't those files) and the userdata.img

Have you tried this ? I read this article earlier and that's what's confusing:

So here's the process:

bootloader-xxx-xxx.img
radio-xx-xx-xx.img
boot.img
system.img
system_other.img
vendor.img
modem.img

but then later in the article it says:

fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash system_b system_other.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot flash modem modem.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

it appears there are many other files included beyond this list.

Last edited:

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Ok thanks for the info. I've been flashing for awhile, but the set up here is very different than prior phones.

Can I modify the flash-all to prevent wiping, or is it just best to re-do everything fresh ?

Modify it, remove the -w

Been doing it that way back to my Nexus 6. No issues.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Can I do this dirty ? Basically just flash the stock images over the old, remove -w, then reboot, everything updated ? I don't mind booting the TWRP image and re-flashing superSU, just having to restore from scratch is a pain in the ass
There's no need to wipe anything. Just make sure to remove the -w from the flashall.bat (dont forget to save it after doing so). If you do it this way, you'll end up with an updated phone with all your data in tact. Same as if you took an OTA.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Can I do this dirty ? Basically just flash the stock images over the old, remove -w, then reboot, everything updated ? I don't mind booting the TWRP image and re-flashing superSU, just having to restore from scratch is a pain in the ass

Just to reinforce the post above, I always flash dirty. No issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Modify it, remove the -w

Been doing it that way back to my Nexus 6. No issues.
    There's a lot of . img files.

This is more complex than my Nexus 5x which just had a few . img

I don't understand which is which
    I think THIS can help. Follow method 2 - manual.
    But skip recovery.img and cache.img (also because there aren't those files) and the userdata.img
    There's no need to wipe anything. Just make sure to remove the -w from the flashall.bat (dont forget to save it after doing so). If you do it this way, you'll end up with an updated phone with all your data in tact. Same as if you took an OTA.

Just to reinforce the post above, I always flash dirty. No issues.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone