How To Guide How to Update OOS 12 with Root

Search This thread

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
You are correct. Because OnePlus has not released the full source code for Android 12, Devs can't create custom ROMs off Android 12. You will need to revert back to the latest Android 11 OOS stock rom first then you can flash an Android 12 custom rom.
Aren't they way behind on their obligation to do so under the GPL?

Z-Blade

Jan 29, 2012
Perth
Aren't they way behind on their obligation to do so under the GPL?
There are ways around it. OnePlus did update the source a couple of weeks ago however its only partly updated, it was not the full source and some of it was screwed. Eng.stk actually tried to make a kernel from it and he said about half of the functions works. Fingers crossed, OOS 13 will not have that problem. If not, I don't think I will ever buy a OnePlus again. I am keeping a close eye on the Nothing Phone (1).

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
There are ways around it. OnePlus did update the source a couple of weeks ago however its only partly updated, it was not the full source and some of it was screwed. Eng.stk actually tried to make a kernel from it and he said about half of the functions works. Fingers crossed, OOS 13 will not have that problem. If not, I don't think I will ever buy a OnePlus again. I am keeping a close eye on the Nothing Phone (1).

I haven't heard anything about the Nothing phone? What's up with it?

I've been a bit disappointed with OP myself (loved by 6, but been less than thrilled with my 7 Pro and 9). Not much choice for a moddable phone in the states besides Pixels or a foreign phone that often lacks US carrier bands. And I have a hard time paying a lot for a phone I don't have full control over.

jotha.dx

Dec 17, 2015
São Paulo
Hello @Z-Blade, i did exactly as you mentioned and updated op8pro with the incremental version IN2025_11_C.33 and without giving boot installed the magisk in the inactive slot and after the reboot went all right.Kept 😃the root 👍

Reactions: Z-Blade

Z-Blade

Jan 29, 2012
Perth
@Z-Blade I have root on the T-Mobile version. They released an update and I have been trying to update but it always tells me there's an installation issue. I restored images in Magisk but it didn't help the issue.
Did you find and downloaded the T-Mobile variant in the Oxygen Updater app? I am not too familiar with the T-Mobile version but I would assume it would work the same as long as you downloaded the correct image. I assume bootloader is unlocked and got root.

So where exactly you getting the installation issue? When trying to flash the image via the OP local update app?

JimmyL216

Jan 8, 2019
Cleveland
Google Pixel 4 XL
OnePlus 9
Did you find and downloaded the T-Mobile variant in the Oxygen Updater app? I am not too familiar with the T-Mobile version but I would assume it would work the same as long as you downloaded the correct image. I assume bootloader is unlocked and got root.

So where exactly you getting the installation issue? When trying to flash the image via the OP local update app?
No. T-Mobile firmware is only released OTA from T-Mobile. It comes OTA to the device. I restore images in Magisk and try to update via OTA and it says there's an installation issue and can't update. Also I flashed stock boot image I found on the forums but it still won't update. Then i thought maybe it won't update because bootloader is unlocked. I tried to lock the bootloader and I get an error telling me the image is destroyed and it can't boot, to flash stock image or contact customer service. Then i tried using msm tool to convert to global rom and can't figure out how to use the msm tool. It never recognizes my device. So I'm basically stuck on a rooted T-Mobile C.17 image. They just came out with C.19 today. I don't know how to get the device unrooted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello @Z-Blade, i did exactly as you mentioned and updated op8pro with the incremental version IN2025_11_C.33 and without giving boot installed the magisk in the inactive slot and after the reboot went all right.Kept 😃the root 👍
    Hi Everyone, there seems to be a lot of bits and pieces in regards to updating OOS 12 and Root so I thought I put together this guide on the way I do it while retaining Root. Unless something changes, this method should work for all future OOS 12 OTA updates.

Please read through all of the steps below before attempting. I will take no responsibility if something goes wrong, this works for me on my OnePlus 9 LE2115 and it should work for other OnePlus 9/Pro models.

1. Install Oxygen Updater app from the Play Store
    2. Download the Full OTA.
    3. Download and install the OP Local Update app ( apk).
    4. Use the OP Local Update app to flash the Full OTA (you will lose root and custom recovery).

Optional - Retaining Root
    DO NOT REBOOT if you want to keep Root

5. Open Magisk and in the Magisk section, tap 'Install'.
    6. Select ' Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)'.
    7. Tap ' LET'S GO', let it run and then reboot.

After the system boots back up, check to make sure you have retained Root. You will not lose any data doing it this way.
    I'm on OOS12 c.47 with root how do I update?
    Read the first post!
    About 30 minutes ago I got a notification c48 was ready to download via the Oxygen Updater app. I use the same method mentioned in the OP and updated to c48 with root.
    Dang you beat me to it!
    I also updated to c48 following the directions in the OP with great success! 👍🏻
    What do you do if you've rebooted, are on the new OS but don't have root? When I go back to Magisk it's asking for an IMG file... I saved the last used kernel before upgrading (11.2.10.10)
    This guide is for updating OOS 12, i have not tested it from OOS 11 to 12. It looks like you just need to flash the patched boot.img again.

Also, just to make sure, you didn't reboot the phone after flashing the Full OTA? After flashing Full OTA, you need to go straight into Magisk as per instruction.