• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to Update/Return to Stock your OnePlus 6/6T(ROOT | NO ROOT | STOCK BASED |OTHERS)

Search This thread

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
Hello,

I used your fastboot guide yesterday to recover my phone but I accidently flashed a newer version (9.0.10) then I had (9.0.7).
Do I need to reflash my device? If so with what method?

Steps I did:
1. Boot TWRP and wiped all except Internal Storage

2. Reboot in to the bootl;oader

3. Unpacked 9.0.10-OnePlus6TOxygen_34_OTA_017_all_1812111237_f52c4612-FASTBOOT.zip

4. Used flash-all.bat

5. Phone rebooted and working

I did not used TWRP because it did not show the correct internal storage??? If antone knows how to fix that please let me know using latest blu_spark TWRP

Blue spark twrp is only for op6, you need of op6t twrp, official or unofficial is the same

G

GuestK00179

If you flash a stock rom you will lose all the mods you already do, root and twrp included. If you want you can keep the root, i will attach a image guide.
Stock back up not found. Suggestions on that? I know I can use fastboot to root again but it would be much easier and convenient using the attached image you have there.

G

GuestK00179

Not understanding sorry, can you explain better?
You're fine. So, I just ended up using TWRP. But others I saw were curious in another forum so maybe you do have a solution.

It says on that picture you posted to keep root with magisk (and on the official ota forum for oos) that you need to uninstall magisk and press the restore stock boot image button. When I tried that, it told me a stock backup image wasn't found.

I'm guessing it's because users like me simply used a patched boot.img and flashed magisk via fastboot, because when I flashed magisk using TWRP it stated it made a backup of my stock image. But, is there a work around so you don't have to use TWRP?

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
You're fine. So, I just ended up using TWRP. But others I saw were curious in another forum so maybe you do have a solution.

It says on that picture you posted to keep root with magisk (and on the official ota forum for oos) that you need to uninstall magisk and press the restore stock boot image button. When I tried that, it told me a stock backup image wasn't found.

I'm guessing it's because users like me simply used a patched boot.img and flashed magisk via fastboot, because when I flashed magisk using TWRP it stated it made a backup of my stock image. But, is there a work around so you don't have to use TWRP?

I don't know, it's a particoular case, in all cases to keeping magisk after an update will always make you lose the twrp

DarthVader

Jan 27, 2018
Lahore
OnePlus 6T
So if I'm on a custom ROM. How do I return to stock. Just Flash the Full OTA via TWRP without wiping anything? Or should I wipe System, Data, Cache and Dalvik and then flash Full OTA. Also what's the way to restore Stock Recovery after flashing TWRP. And if I flash a custom Kernel how can I restore stock Kernel. Sorry for the noobish questions but this is my first OnePlus Phone and I'm coming from Huawei so confused. Thanks.

Reactions: gGuess1337

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2012
Castellana Grotte
toolaio.tk
So if I have a Mclaren 6T 6013. How do I get the files for that?
I really don't know

So if I'm on a custom ROM. How do I return to stock. Just Flash the Full OTA via TWRP without wiping anything? Or should I wipe System, Data, Cache and Dalvik and then flash Full OTA. Also what's the way to restore Stock Recovery after flashing TWRP. And if I flash a custom Kernel how can I restore stock Kernel. Sorry for the noobish questions but this is my first OnePlus Phone and I'm coming from Huawei so confused. Thanks.

A lot of questions but only one answer
To return stock withtout losing data just flash the rom through twrp, before flash it just remove all pin/patterns, don't wipe nothing, in this method you will also restore the stock kernel and stock recovery
In all cases it's not reccomended to flash the stock rom on a custom rom without wipe data

Reactions: gGuess1337
Nov 26, 2018
Hi I have OP6T with TWRP and Magisk with some mods like YouTube Vanced.
So I guess I fall in case 2.

I tried uninstalling the Magisk and to remove root but it made the OOS to go in bootloop then I restored Magisk again to get my phone started again.

Then I decided to give up everything that is TWRP and Magisk but it never installs the original stock OOS (1.6 Gigs of clean os) and says error as unable to unpack zip. I tried flashing zip from TWRP manually and the ROM was in the phone.

Now I am stuck with TWRP and Magisk with my system rooted. I haven't had any issues but two.

1. Not getting any OTA ( I am stuck with Dec release of OOS i.e. 28/12).
2. Google pay not working despite using Magisk hide and all that stuff untill I deny Google Play services location permission which led other apps not function properly.

Can you help me with either of it. That is how to resolve these two issues or how can I go back to the phone which is stock everything i.e. how I freshly unboxed it from box.

Thanks

Nov 26, 2018
You can download the latest and do a local install.
That will remove root and leave the phone with a locked BL.
Thanks alot for this. My OP6T is now back to its default state.

But during this process there were few hiccups. If you can, please suggest if something went wrong.

1. During local upgrade, after system rebooted it went on bootloop. So I have to factory reset it from recovery.

2. During reset I found out that TWRP has been replaced by stock recovery. So I presumed that Magisk has been removed also.

3. Also the bootloader was still unlocked so I have to manually lock it through " fastboot oem lock".

4. The unexpected thing was that root checker app was showing that root has not been properly setup.

Please suggest if anything required........

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
No it won't. Flashing a stock ROM (or any ROM) doesn't change bootloader status. It will unroot of course.

1. During local upgrade, after system rebooted it went on bootloop. So I have to factory reset it from recovery.
You didn't verify if you are now using the latest OOS version or still the one from December. When in doubt, download latest here (currently 9.0.11). Older OOS versions struggle with modified boot images and actually need Magisk to boot.

2. During reset I found out that TWRP has been replaced by stock recovery. So I presumed that Magisk has been removed also.
This is normal and if you did a factory reset (data wipe) then Magisk Manager will have been removed as well, you are correct. You need to install TWRP again after every stock upgrade.

3. Also the bootloader was still unlocked so I have to manually lock it through " fastboot oem lock".
I strongly advise against this! Locking a bootloader after unlocking serves absolutely no purpose and in some cases even damages partitions. The only valid reason one might have to lock again is to resell in original state.

4. The unexpected thing was that root checker app was showing that root has not been properly setup.
In my experience root checkers aren't always correct (e.g. the request window wasn't shown or missed by the user). A better way to check this is by installing Magisk Manager. Find all Magisk resources here and make sure you're on the latest (stable) version of both the manager and the root method itself.

Mind that the official OOS zips can be flashed via TWRP, this allows you to retain root or to properly wipe if you'd like a fresh start without any root. This will still destroy TWRP but you can mitigate this by performing a TWRP install right after the ROM flash (if TWRP is still desired).

Nov 26, 2018
No it won't. Flashing a stock ROM (or any ROM) doesn't change bootloader status. It will unroot of course.

You didn't verify if you are now using the latest OOS version or still the one from December. When in doubt, download latest here (currently 9.0.11). Older OOS versions struggle with modified boot images and actually need Magisk to boot.

This is normal and if you did a factory reset (data wipe) then Magisk Manager will have been removed as well, you are correct. You need to install TWRP again after every stock upgrade.

I strongly advise against this! Locking a bootloader after unlocking serves absolutely no purpose and in some cases even damages partitions. The only valid reason one might have to lock again is to resell in original state.

In my experience root checkers aren't always correct (e.g. the request window wasn't shown or missed by the user). A better way to check this is by installing Magisk Manager. Find all Magisk resources here and make sure you're on the latest (stable) version of both the manager and the root method itself.

Mind that the official OOS zips can be flashed via TWRP, this allows you to retain root or to properly wipe if you'd like a fresh start without any root. This will still destroy TWRP but you can mitigate this by performing a TWRP install right after the ROM flash (if TWRP is still desired).

I downloaded the latest OOS from OnePlus's website and then did the local upgrade.

Now I have OOS up and running without TWRP or anything in the default state.

If I reboot I don't see that unlocked bootloader warning ( coz I locked it manually of course )

Also that issue with Google Pay and other Banking Application also got resolved.

So I want to ask what is wrong right now with my setup as I wanted to go to default state as when I unboxed it and what could be done ( if anything ).

Also thank you very much for your detailed explanation as I wasn't able to find anything related to it.

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
So I want to ask what is wrong right now with my setup as I wanted to go to default state as when I unboxed it and what could be done ( if anything ).

Why wouldn't it be? Sounds like you reverted to stock successfully! For the record: I'm on OOS beta 3, unlocked bootloader + rooted, and mobile payments work just fine thanks to Magisk Hide ;)

Reactions: its.ishansharma
Nov 26, 2018
Why wouldn't it be? Sounds like you reverted to stock successfully! For the record: I'm on OOS beta 3, unlocked bootloader + rooted, and mobile payments work just fine thanks to Magisk Hide ;)

I don't know what was wrong with my magisk hide. It was not working properly.

I had same setup but with stable OOS but until I deny Google Play Services Telephone Access, mobile payments never worked.

Moreover after denying that access other apps behaved abnormally.

Also I was successful to relock my bootloader with the command. If it wasn't stock then my phone would have been bricked. Correct?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today i want to explain how to update your phone in all cases you can be. The Thread is divided into situations and methods.

CASES

1. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and without modifications:
    You can use:
    Local Update Method (Recommended)
    Fastboot Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

2. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm rooted or I made some modifications:

You can use:
    Local Update Method (Recommended)
    Fastboot Update Method
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

3. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm unable to boot the stock rom:

You can use:
    Fastboot Update Method (Recommended)
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

4. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I've not the stock rom or a rom stock based:

You can use:
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

5. My Phone is bricked, i can't boot the rom, i can't enter in TWRP:

In this can you can try with:
    MSM Tool Restore Method

METHODS

Local Update Method

With this method you can flash a newer version or the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
    - Put the stock rom in your internal storage in the main folder;
    - Go in settings/system/system updates/advanced settings/Local Update and choose your new rom ( Here you can find a video guide for this passage);
    - Click on Install and at the end of the process you need to reboot the phone;
    - If this is a big update it's better if you wipe your data.

Fastboot Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have:

The full method is explained in the relative thread:
    OnePlus 6T Fastboot ROMS
    OnePlus 6 Fastboot ROMS

TWRP Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
    - Put the stock rom in your internal storage;
    - Click on Install;
    - Choose the stock rom and flash it.

MSM Tool Restore Method

The full method is explained in the relative thread:

OnePlus 6T T-Mobile Version
    OnePlus 6T
    OnePlus 6

DONATE LINK

If you want to support the project please consider making a donation, thanks.

[/CENTER]
    Great Mauronofrio

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

The second case?..Im rooted with twrp and stock rom on 6t..
    so I have to flash the eventually full rom via twrp? !? which twrp?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

No, the recommended is the local update

Thanks for this. This is my first OnePlus device. I'm coming from a 5-year-old HTC One so updating pretty much meant wiping phone completely and reinstalling the ROM. I watched that video on the local update method. Good to know that even the full ROM installation doesn't wipe my data.

I do need some clarification on some things, though. I'm case 2 - stock ROM, unlocked BL & rooted. I have YouTube Vanced installed via Magisk as well as AdAway. I assume those would be considered modifications. In this guide, https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78026660&postcount=3, it says that rooted users need to first uninstall Magisk & restore images before installing the update. Then reinstall Magisk after updating. But here it doesn't mention the need to do this. What's the difference between these two processes? I've read lots of posts lately where people get into a soft brick situation after making some modifications. But I'm not seeing any explinations as to why this happens & I'd like to avoid that.

If I use the local update method from this thread, will Magisk survive the update and will I still be rooted? Or will I need to reinstall it & re-root?

If you flash a stock rom you will lose all the mods you already do, root and twrp included. If you want you can keep the root, i will attach a image guide.
    I don't know what was wrong with my magisk hide. It was not working properly.

I had same setup but with stable OOS but until I deny Google Play Services Telephone Access, mobile payments never worked.

Moreover after denying that access other apps behaved abnormally.

Also I was successful to relock my bootloader with the command. If it wasn't stock then my phone would have been bricked. Correct?
    I... Don't know. I never considered locking a bootloader purposely. Let alone while it's running a custom ROM. Either it'll just get locked in on the ROM (probably removing root) or it'll create a vacuum in your house which will eventually implode and drag your entire neighbourhood to bits.

It could also deny the lock command, let's hope Android chose this path. You'd most likely have to unlock again if it did work.

Google clearly doesn't like being denied access ?
    Anyway, telephone access is commonly needed and usually it's merely used to read phone state so it can handle interruptions by an incoming caller properly. Big G also uses this permission for when you shout 'Hey Google, call my ex and then hang up in her!'*.

*Not an actually working command. Believe me, I've tried.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs