How to Update/Return to Stock your OnePlus 6/6T(ROOT | NO ROOT | STOCK BASED |OTHERS)

Search This thread

vegetaleb

Feb 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks both of you.
The buyer wants pubg pre-installed :laugh:
So I will wipe everything an hour before meeting, reboot to the reseted oos to be sure no personal data was left, then restore pubg with an app backup restore or apk mirror version so I won't have to put my gmail

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    Thanks both of you.
    The buyer wants pubg pre-installed :laugh:
    So I will wipe everything an hour before meeting, reboot to the reseted oos to be sure no personal data was left, then restore pubg with an app backup restore or apk mirror version so I won't have to put my gmail

Careful with restoring backups as that usually contains account information as well (which will conflict with their account). That's kind of an odd request by the way, can't the buyer download PUBG by themselves? Also, buyer will miss out on initial setup as you'll skip everything and will have to do everything manually (connectivity, accounts, security, migration, ...), that's something to keep in mind. APK mirror version sound like a good idea if he/she really needs it preinstalled. Make sure to start it once as it needs to download additional game resources.

BranBro365

Jan 30, 2019
    Converting from International back to TMO?

I.m sure this has probably been asked already but. I converted my TMO 6T to international, well I'm going to upgrade to the 7 Pro on Friday through TMO so I assume I should probably convert it back to the TMO version before taking it back to the store to trade in, can someone tell me how to do this? Or do I even have to convert back? It hasn't been unlocked by TMO yet, infact I'm still making monthly payments on it.

mauronofrio

Recognized Developer
    Jun 29, 2012
    Castellana Grotte
    toolaio.tk
    when i go to settings/system/system updates. There isnt an advanced settings menu. No Gear icon or anything

Click on the wheel on the top right

I.m sure this has probably been asked already but. I converted my TMO 6T to international, well I'm going to upgrade to the 7 Pro on Friday through TMO so I assume I should probably convert it back to the TMO version before taking it back to the store to trade in, can someone tell me how to do this? Or do I even have to convert back? It hasn't been unlocked by TMO yet, infact I'm still making monthly payments on it.

You can use msmtool to have all stock, maybe it's better in your case

Attachments

• photo_2019-05-15_14-29-22.jpg
      photo_2019-05-15_14-29-22.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 194
    Reactions: BranBro365

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
    To return to stock can't we just use the Q stock room and flash there return to stock rom after you flash the Q beta?

Last edited:
    G

GuestK00320

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/tool-t-mobile-oneplus-6t-msmdownloadtool-t3868916

Bonito77

May 9, 2010
    Earth
    Hello, I'm on (OP6) Liquid Remix 8.1.0 Oreo, root and TWRP3.2.3.x-blu_spark v9.85 and I would like to go back to stock OOS and stock recovery to update later to OOS Pie.
    So fastbooot-method is my way, right ?
    Now I have extracted the "5.1.11-OREO-OnePlus6Oxygen_22_OTA_015_all_1808102118_770880-FASTBOOT .zip" and I'm a little bit confused about which .bat I have to use, the "flash-all.bat" or the "flash-all-partitions-fastboot.bat" from the included "Others_flashall.zip" ?
    When yes, have I to copy this "flash-all-partitions-fastboot.bat" out of the "Others_flashall.zip" into the same directory as the "flash-all.bat" file to run it ?
    Thank you for your great work here .:good:

Edit: It's answered here. Thanks to @mauronofrio .

Last edited:
    Reactions: mauronofrio

TheDemonLord

Mar 11, 2016
    Hopefully this question wasn't already answered. I'm on mobile and can't really read every single page.

I'm on a custom room, havoc os. Say if I wanted to go back to stock and the only thing available to me is my type c usb. Could it be done? If so what files exactly would I need on the flash drive? I once tried to go back to stock on my way to work by flashing a stock rom zip. Catastrophic failure. Ended up with a phone that did not boot to system, only twrp. From twrp I foolishly tried to install the stock recovery image to see if I could get into that and do a local upgrade. And that left me with a even bigger mess up unable to boot the phone to anything at all but bootloader.

The drive is out for delivery and I can't seem to help myself from doing something that'll brick my phone(I come from the pre a&b days, and I find it maddening flashing roms on my op6t.

Any suggestions or should I just fight the urge to tinker while I'm away from PC?

explosivequack

Feb 8, 2012
    Hopefully this question wasn't already answered. I'm on mobile and can't really read every single page.

I'm on a custom room, havoc os. Say if I wanted to go back to stock and the only thing available to me is my type c usb. Could it be done? If so what files exactly would I need on the flash drive? I once tried to go back to stock on my way to work by flashing a stock rom zip. Catastrophic failure. Ended up with a phone that did not boot to system, only twrp. From twrp I foolishly tried to install the stock recovery image to see if I could get into that and do a local upgrade. And that left me with a even bigger mess up unable to boot the phone to anything at all but bootloader.

The drive is out for delivery and I can't seem to help myself from doing something that'll brick my phone(I come from the pre a&b days, and I find it maddening flashing roms on my op6t.

Any suggestions or should I just fight the urge to tinker while I'm away from PC?

Trying to figure this out as well, on my oneplus 7 pro and oneplus 6t I get the same issue, every time I install the stock rom through twrp after doing a factory reset if I reboot into system it'll reboot into twrp, or go into the apps rom im trying to flash away from, or if I reboot into twrp the data will be encrypted again and the only way I can get it in encrypted is by booting all the way back into the apps rom.

I've tried this on both devices with and without a pin, I've tried flashing the rom, selecting the opposite slot that I'm on and rebooted into recovery, it'll be encrypted again so I won't be able to flash onto the other slot.

I'm sort of at a loss and have been searching both forums relentlessly and have watched videos of people installing custom roms and they don't seem to be doing anything differently than I am. At this point the only thing I can do on both devices is use the msm tool to get back to stock every time I flash a custom rom.

Custom roms will flash, but I can't just reboot back into recovery or it'll be encrypted, I have to boot into the system, reboot back into the recovery and install the gapps and Magisk that way. Literally any advice would be appreciated.

Ive been asking around on the op7p forums but once I found out the 6t was doing the same exact thing I knew there's something I was missing, and since the 6t has been around for a bit longer I hope one of you fine folks has an answer to my a/b slot woes.

ujh

Apr 1, 2016
    hi all,

i can't unbrick my op6t.. msmdownloadtool gets stuck at vendor and i've tried many versions. what do i do? thanks

it seems like usb3.1 won't work. solved by using oneplus cable and a usb2 port.

Last edited:

bigjailerman

Jun 25, 2013
    NYC
    Trying to figure this out as well, on my oneplus 7 pro and oneplus 6t I get the same issue, every time I install the stock rom through twrp after doing a factory reset if I reboot into system it'll reboot into twrp, or go into the apps rom im trying to flash away from, or if I reboot into twrp the data will be encrypted again and the only way I can get it in encrypted is by booting all the way back into the apps rom.

I've tried this on both devices with and without a pin, I've tried flashing the rom, selecting the opposite slot that I'm on and rebooted into recovery, it'll be encrypted again so I won't be able to flash onto the other slot.

I'm sort of at a loss and have been searching both forums relentlessly and have watched videos of people installing custom roms and they don't seem to be doing anything differently than I am. At this point the only thing I can do on both devices is use the msm tool to get back to stock every time I flash a custom rom.

Custom roms will flash, but I can't just reboot back into recovery or it'll be encrypted, I have to boot into the system, reboot back into the recovery and install the gapps and Magisk that way. Literally any advice would be appreciated.

Ive been asking around on the op7p forums but once I found out the 6t was doing the same exact thing I knew there's something I was missing, and since the 6t has been around for a bit longer I hope one of you fine folks has an answer to my a/b slot woes.

How did you do?

Reactions: explosivequack

merom90

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi, @mauronofrio
    I'm in this situation
    2. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm rooted or I made some modifications:

Now I need to come back to stock, no root and no TWRP ( I will root later)
    I can use local update with same version (OOS) installed?
    Just to confirm, local upodate wipe data or not?

Thanks.

sol212307

Mar 16, 2016
    im on OOS10 stable+magisk+twrp .27. i would like to do clean flash installation of OOS10 stable+magisk+ twrp. can some1 pls tell me step by step of installation method? tried asking telegram group always ignored. tried using the search button too but still i can't find the exact method. pls help. im new to 6T.

Reactions: evip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Today i want to explain how to update your phone in all cases you can be. The Thread is divided into situations and methods.

CASES

1. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and without modifications:
      You can use:
      Local Update Method (Recommended)
      Fastboot Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

2. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm rooted or I made some modifications:

You can use:
      Local Update Method (Recommended)
      Fastboot Update Method
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

3. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm unable to boot the stock rom:

You can use:
      Fastboot Update Method (Recommended)
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

4. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I've not the stock rom or a rom stock based:

You can use:
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

5. My Phone is bricked, i can't boot the rom, i can't enter in TWRP:

In this can you can try with:
      MSM Tool Restore Method

METHODS

Local Update Method

With this method you can flash a newer version or the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
      - Put the stock rom in your internal storage in the main folder;
      - Go in settings/system/system updates/advanced settings/Local Update and choose your new rom ( Here you can find a video guide for this passage);
      - Click on Install and at the end of the process you need to reboot the phone;
      - If this is a big update it's better if you wipe your data.

Fastboot Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have:

The full method is explained in the relative thread:
      OnePlus 6T Fastboot ROMS
      OnePlus 6 Fastboot ROMS

TWRP Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
      - Put the stock rom in your internal storage;
      - Click on Install;
      - Choose the stock rom and flash it.

MSM Tool Restore Method

The full method is explained in the relative thread:

OnePlus 6T T-Mobile Version
      OnePlus 6T
      OnePlus 6

DONATE LINK

If you want to support the project please consider making a donation, thanks.

[/CENTER]
      Great Mauronofrio

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

The second case?..Im rooted with twrp and stock rom on 6t..
      so I have to flash the eventually full rom via twrp? !? which twrp?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

No, the recommended is the local update
      You can download the latest and do a local install.
      That will remove root and leave the phone with a locked BL.
      No it won't. Flashing a stock ROM (or any ROM) doesn't change bootloader status. It will unroot of course.

1. During local upgrade, after system rebooted it went on bootloop. So I have to factory reset it from recovery.
      You didn't verify if you are now using the latest OOS version or still the one from December. When in doubt, download latest here (currently 9.0.11). Older OOS versions struggle with modified boot images and actually need Magisk to boot.

2. During reset I found out that TWRP has been replaced by stock recovery. So I presumed that Magisk has been removed also.
      This is normal and if you did a factory reset (data wipe) then Magisk Manager will have been removed as well, you are correct. You need to install TWRP again after every stock upgrade.

3. Also the bootloader was still unlocked so I have to manually lock it through " fastboot oem lock".
      I strongly advise against this! Locking a bootloader after unlocking serves absolutely no purpose and in some cases even damages partitions. The only valid reason one might have to lock again is to resell in original state.

4. The unexpected thing was that root checker app was showing that root has not been properly setup.
      In my experience root checkers aren't always correct (e.g. the request window wasn't shown or missed by the user). A better way to check this is by installing Magisk Manager. Find all Magisk resources here and make sure you're on the latest (stable) version of both the manager and the root method itself.

Mind that the official OOS zips can be flashed via TWRP, this allows you to retain root or to properly wipe if you'd like a fresh start without any root. This will still destroy TWRP but you can mitigate this by performing a TWRP install right after the ROM flash (if TWRP is still desired).
      Thanks for this. This is my first OnePlus device. I'm coming from a 5-year-old HTC One so updating pretty much meant wiping phone completely and reinstalling the ROM. I watched that video on the local update method. Good to know that even the full ROM installation doesn't wipe my data.

I do need some clarification on some things, though. I'm case 2 - stock ROM, unlocked BL & rooted. I have YouTube Vanced installed via Magisk as well as AdAway. I assume those would be considered modifications. In this guide, https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78026660&postcount=3, it says that rooted users need to first uninstall Magisk & restore images before installing the update. Then reinstall Magisk after updating. But here it doesn't mention the need to do this. What's the difference between these two processes? I've read lots of posts lately where people get into a soft brick situation after making some modifications. But I'm not seeing any explinations as to why this happens & I'd like to avoid that.

If I use the local update method from this thread, will Magisk survive the update and will I still be rooted? Or will I need to reinstall it & re-root?

If you flash a stock rom you will lose all the mods you already do, root and twrp included. If you want you can keep the root, i will attach a image guide.
      I don't know what was wrong with my magisk hide. It was not working properly.

I had same setup but with stable OOS but until I deny Google Play Services Telephone Access, mobile payments never worked.

Moreover after denying that access other apps behaved abnormally.

Also I was successful to relock my bootloader with the command. If it wasn't stock then my phone would have been bricked. Correct?
      I... Don't know. I never considered locking a bootloader purposely. Let alone while it's running a custom ROM. Either it'll just get locked in on the ROM (probably removing root) or it'll create a vacuum in your house which will eventually implode and drag your entire neighbourhood to bits.

It could also deny the lock command, let's hope Android chose this path. You'd most likely have to unlock again if it did work.

Google clearly doesn't like being denied access ?
      Anyway, telephone access is commonly needed and usually it's merely used to read phone state so it can handle interruptions by an incoming caller properly. Big G also uses this permission for when you shout 'Hey Google, call my ex and then hang up in her!'*.

*Not an actually working command. Believe me, I've tried.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone