How to Update/Return to Stock your OnePlus 6/6T(ROOT | NO ROOT | STOCK BASED |OTHERS)

Search This thread

Zure

Dec 11, 2011
Trying to figure this out as well, on my oneplus 7 pro and oneplus 6t I get the same issue, every time I install the stock rom through twrp after doing a factory reset if I reboot into system it'll reboot into twrp, or go into the apps rom im trying to flash away from, or if I reboot into twrp the data will be encrypted again and the only way I can get it in encrypted is by booting all the way back into the apps rom.

I've tried this on both devices with and without a pin, I've tried flashing the rom, selecting the opposite slot that I'm on and rebooted into recovery, it'll be encrypted again so I won't be able to flash onto the other slot.

I'm sort of at a loss and have been searching both forums relentlessly and have watched videos of people installing custom roms and they don't seem to be doing anything differently than I am. At this point the only thing I can do on both devices is use the msm tool to get back to stock every time I flash a custom rom.

Custom roms will flash, but I can't just reboot back into recovery or it'll be encrypted, I have to boot into the system, reboot back into the recovery and install the gapps and Magisk that way. Literally any advice would be appreciated.

Ive been asking around on the op7p forums but once I found out the 6t was doing the same exact thing I knew there's something I was missing, and since the 6t has been around for a bit longer I hope one of you fine folks has an answer to my a/b slot woes.

I'm in the same boat right now with my OP6 on a custom rom, what did you end up doing? TWRP isn't working for me and I keep getting the encrypting problem. Did you just use the fastboot method?

explosivequack

Feb 8, 2012
I'm in the same boat right now with my OP6 on a custom rom, what did you end up doing? TWRP isn't working for me and I keep getting the encrypting problem. Did you just use the fastboot method?

So on my op7p if I format everything on my internal storage and keep a backup on my pc i can flash stock rom and twrp to both slots without it being encrypted. I use a USB c thumb drive to store my roms and that works pretty good. Right now I'm not encrypted at all so I can flash stuff without wiping but I'm thinking about going back to being encrypted.

My buddy on the op6t has to format everything because if he removed encryption it breaks fingerprint.

I don't have the op6 but I think it's similar enough to the op6t that you can format your internal storage and flash from the thumb drive, (flash oos and twrp to both slots before flashing a custom rom) he doesn't have the thumb drive so he just moves stuff over from his pc while in twrp. Make sure you keep a backup of everything you don't want to lose on your pc, I use Syncthing because it backs up everytime I connect to my WiFi so I never have to worry about transferring old stuff or losing anything, but my friend just transfers everything over. If your thumb drive is big enough you could also just back up to the thumb drive.

Edit: forgot something, if you want to try flashing a few custom roms I'd recommend getting a thumb drive because you should be able to flash from custom roms to other custom roms if they're similar enough, but when you wipe data for your rom it will encrypt again so you won't be able to flash off the phone. You can just flash from a thumb drive or sideload roms through twrp, and once it boots it should work fine . My op7p works perfectly at this, his op6t has issues with certain roms so if you do this make sure your backup is up to date.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

@Peterrrrr

Mar 6, 2012
PS C:\Android> fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.577s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 0.598s

PS C:\Android> fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (26748 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.574s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: (recovery_b) No such partition)
finished. total time: 0.579s

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
PS C:\Android> fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.577s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 0.598s

PS C:\Android> fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (26748 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.574s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: (recovery_b) No such partition)
finished. total time: 0.579s

Your twrp is way outdated. Use latest unofficial version.

^tyrant^

May 18, 2009
So i dont know when it started, But i am no longer getting notifications from a handful of apps that i know of. Outlook and Instagram are the main one that I use all the time that I know for a fact i am not getting.

I have been through all the notification settings and deep sleep settings and nothing is out of the ordinary.
So i am wondering if it is time to do a reset/wipe and start fresh. Which leads me to what is the way of doing that?
I am running unlocked boot loader, Magisk rooted. TWRP recovery.

Charles:

Feb 18, 2007
Still a bit confused on the most efficient way to install an update while keeping TWRP, root, and custom kernel.

OOS 10 beta 6, TWRP, root, Omega kernel

Istvan_86

Apr 9, 2011
Madrid
Hello,

I am Case 2 have a stock rom + unlocked bootloader + Magisk Root and the recommended method is local update, but in the instructions for this method I don´t see anything about magisk, I must uninstall it first?

Thanks in advance.

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Cheers for this guide, I was wondering if you would be able to verify whether this should be good to relock the bootloader.

I installed lineage, but ultimately decided to stick with stock. In your TWRP, I sideloaded (for some reason, MTP died) the stock rom on supposedly both A and B slots. I then rebooted (got into a bootloop) so rebooted back to recovery (which took me this time to the OP recovery).

From there, I wiped everything and the device booted. Finally, I have flashed the stock rom twice through local update to hopefully ensure both slots are fully stock.

Should this be enough to ensure my device can have the bootloader relocked?

Edit: Whether it was brave or stupid :D I did relock the bootloader (I checked the slots after each local and it did change) and the device appears to be booting

Last edited:

mohdfahad47

• Apr 7, 2015
    Muharraq
    Today i want to explain how to update your phone in all cases you can be. The Thread is divided into situations and methods.

CASES

1. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and without modifications:
    You can use:
    Local Update Method (Recommended)
    Fastboot Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

2. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm rooted or I made some modifications:

You can use:
    Fastboot Update Method
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

3. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm unable to boot the stock rom:

You can use:
    Fastboot Update Method (Recommended)
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

4. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I've not the stock rom or a rom stock based:

You can use:
    TWRP Update Method
    MSM Tool Restore Method

5. My Phone is bricked, i can't boot the rom, i can't enter in TWRP:

In this can you can try with:
    MSM Tool Restore Method

METHODS

Local Update Method

With this method you can flash a newer version or the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
    - Put the stock rom in your internal storage in the main folder;
    - Go in settings/system/system updates/advanced settings/Local Update and choose your new rom ( Here you can find a video guide for this passage);
    - Click on Install and at the end of the process you need to reboot the phone;
    - If this is a big update it's better if you wipe your data.

Fastboot Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have:

The full method is explained in the relative thread:
    OnePlus 6T Fastboot ROMS
    OnePlus 6 Fastboot ROMS

TWRP Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have

- Download the stock rom you want to flash from Official site or from XDA Thread ( OnePlus 6T or OnePlus 6 );
    - Put the stock rom in your internal storage;
    - Click on Install;
    - Choose the stock rom and flash it.

MSM Tool Restore Method

OnePlus 6T T-Mobile Version
    OnePlus 6T
    OnePlus 6

DONATE LINK

If you want to support the project please consider making a donation, thanks.

[/CENTER]

Well i have a custom Rom and i wanna get back to stock, so I'll remove all modifications- boot to TWRP- do a factory reset- and flash the oos zip twice (so they're flashed in both the slots) and reboot system. Correct me if i am wrong...thanks

soare_body

Nov 17, 2014
    Bucharest
    Hi guys! Sorry if I'm spamming, but I have read all xda and OP community threads, watched just about every YT video there is (OP6 & OP7) and I still have mixed feelings about what I should do to return to stock because in each case there are people that ended up bootlooping. After all the reading and viewing, I feel that a simple OOS flash in TWRP won't be enough and I'll also end up in a bootloop.

Device data: encrypted + mauronofrio's TWRP + latest Pixel Experience ROM
    My question is if I can revert to stock using TWRP. My personal plan (just to be more than safe) is boot TWRP -> wipe system+data+vendor+cache -> flash OOS 10.3.2 -> flash TWRP -> reboot TWRP -> flash OOS 10.3.2 -> flash TWRP -> factory reset -> boot OOS -> upgrade to OOS 10.3.4 through local upgrade -> relock bootloader through fastboot.

Do you think that I will be doing some unnecessary steps? Or am I missing some steps?
    Do you think that it would be better to use the OOS 10.3.2 rollback build instead of the regular 10.3.2 file? I also thought about this.

Thanks in advance!

DarthVader

• Jan 27, 2018
    Lahore
    OnePlus 6T
    Hi guys! Sorry if I'm spamming, but I have read all xda and OP community threads, watched just about every YT video there is (OP6 & OP7) and I still have mixed feelings about what I should do to return to stock because in each case there are people that ended up bootlooping. After all the reading and viewing, I feel that a simple OOS flash in TWRP won't be enough and I'll also end up in a bootloop.

Device data: encrypted + mauronofrio's TWRP + latest Pixel Experience ROM
    My question is if I can revert to stock using TWRP. My personal plan (just to be more than safe) is boot TWRP -> wipe system+data+vendor+cache -> flash OOS 10.3.2 -> flash TWRP -> reboot TWRP -> flash OOS 10.3.2 -> flash TWRP -> factory reset -> boot OOS -> upgrade to OOS 10.3.4 through local upgrade -> relock bootloader through fastboot.

Do you think that I will be doing some unnecessary steps? Or am I missing some steps?
    Do you think that it would be better to use the OOS 10.3.2 rollback build instead of the regular 10.3.2 file? I also thought about this.

Thanks in advance!
    This is perfect.

soare_body

Nov 17, 2014
    Bucharest
    Yeah so I switched back to OOS coming from Pixel Experience, but it won't be possible through TWRP without an USB OTG cable. What I did was: 1 remove PIN or PATTERN from Security Settings 2 reboot to TWRP 3 wipe system, data, vendor, cache 4 flashed OOS 10.3.3 from internal storage 5 reboot to recovery 6 insert usb otg (formatted as NTSC) 7 flash the same OOS 10.3.3 from usb otg 8 factory reset 9 reboot system 10 landed in recovery and did another factory reset 11 booted OOS 12 installed 10.3.4 through local upgrade 13 relocked bootloader. I'm not responsible for the damage that may occur to your phone when trying to follow the afore mentioned steps. For me, it did the trick and now I'm back to the phone's original state.

Reactions: clusteroid

struggleb0x

Jul 25, 2020
    What if you have converted to international version, unlocked the bootloader, and installed the same version on both A/B partitions?

Is there anything special I need to do?

KHA05L05T86

Jun 15, 2020
    Kentwood
    Hey I have a issue. I have a OP6T I think it's the Global version and I had a problem awhile back and bricked it and couldn't get any msmdownloadtool to work I tried. Upon looking I found the patched tool for the t-mo international conversion and the only way I could get any msmdownloadtool to work was with the patch. I had finally managed to get it to where everything was right I had Disney plus and all that but I don't know how I did it. And recently I bricked it again and can't find my flash drive and I want to get it back with the correct firmware. And I talked to oneplus and mine is not the t-mo so can someone help me find the right tool and firmware to get it back right since I lost the one I had and it was the only one that seemed to work on my phone every one I tried always said images don't match but when I use the patch it works. Also when I use ToolAllInOne to unlock bootloader the I have a non branded phone the the options that unlocks it

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    Hey I have a issue. I have a OP6T I think it's the Global version and I had a problem awhile back and bricked it and couldn't get any msmdownloadtool to work I tried. Upon looking I found the patched tool for the t-mo international conversion and the only way I could get any msmdownloadtool to work was with the patch. I had finally managed to get it to where everything was right I had Disney plus and all that but I don't know how I did it. And recently I bricked it again and can't find my flash drive and I want to get it back with the correct firmware. And I talked to oneplus and mine is not the t-mo so can someone help me find the right tool and firmware to get it back right since I lost the one I had and it was the only one that seemed to work on my phone every one I tried always said images don't match but when I use the patch it works. Also when I use ToolAllInOne to unlock bootloader the I have a non branded phone the the options that unlocks it
    How can you not know what version you have? Second hand device that was already messed with? Because otherwise you either got it from T-Mobile or you got it from OnePlus.
    You'll likely find what you need in this thread. The links in the OP are outdated, you'll find a newer one on the last page.

Tools (with the exception of some essential ones like MSM) are best avoided. Stick with command lines, it's super easy and at least then you know what's going on with your device. And please get informed before 'trying stuff'. That's the main reason people brick their devices: they didn't do proper research first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Today i want to explain how to update your phone in all cases you can be. The Thread is divided into situations and methods.

CASES

1. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and without modifications:
      You can use:
      Fastboot Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

2. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm rooted or I made some modifications:

You can use:
      Fastboot Update Method
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

3. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I'm unable to boot the stock rom:

You can use:
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

4. I have a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader and I've not the stock rom or a rom stock based:

You can use:
      TWRP Update Method
      MSM Tool Restore Method

5. My Phone is bricked, i can't boot the rom, i can't enter in TWRP:

In this can you can try with:
      MSM Tool Restore Method

METHODS

Local Update Method

With this method you can flash a newer version or the same version you already have

- Put the stock rom in your internal storage in the main folder;
      - Go in settings/system/system updates/advanced settings/Local Update and choose your new rom ( Here you can find a video guide for this passage);
      - Click on Install and at the end of the process you need to reboot the phone;
      - If this is a big update it's better if you wipe your data.

Fastboot Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have:

OnePlus 6T Fastboot ROMS
      OnePlus 6 Fastboot ROMS

TWRP Update Method

With this method It's better flash the same version you already have

- Put the stock rom in your internal storage;
      - Click on Install;
      - Choose the stock rom and flash it.

MSM Tool Restore Method

OnePlus 6T T-Mobile Version
      OnePlus 6T
      OnePlus 6

DONATE LINK

If you want to support the project please consider making a donation, thanks.

[/CENTER]
      Great Mauronofrio

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

The second case?..Im rooted with twrp and stock rom on 6t..
      so I have to flash the eventually full rom via twrp? !? which twrp?

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

No, the recommended is the local update
      You can download the latest and do a local install.
      That will remove root and leave the phone with a locked BL.
      No it won't. Flashing a stock ROM (or any ROM) doesn't change bootloader status. It will unroot of course.

1. During local upgrade, after system rebooted it went on bootloop. So I have to factory reset it from recovery.
      You didn't verify if you are now using the latest OOS version or still the one from December. When in doubt, download latest here (currently 9.0.11). Older OOS versions struggle with modified boot images and actually need Magisk to boot.

2. During reset I found out that TWRP has been replaced by stock recovery. So I presumed that Magisk has been removed also.
      This is normal and if you did a factory reset (data wipe) then Magisk Manager will have been removed as well, you are correct. You need to install TWRP again after every stock upgrade.

3. Also the bootloader was still unlocked so I have to manually lock it through " fastboot oem lock".
      I strongly advise against this! Locking a bootloader after unlocking serves absolutely no purpose and in some cases even damages partitions. The only valid reason one might have to lock again is to resell in original state.

4. The unexpected thing was that root checker app was showing that root has not been properly setup.
      In my experience root checkers aren't always correct (e.g. the request window wasn't shown or missed by the user). A better way to check this is by installing Magisk Manager. Find all Magisk resources here and make sure you're on the latest (stable) version of both the manager and the root method itself.

Mind that the official OOS zips can be flashed via TWRP, this allows you to retain root or to properly wipe if you'd like a fresh start without any root. This will still destroy TWRP but you can mitigate this by performing a TWRP install right after the ROM flash (if TWRP is still desired).
      Thanks for this. This is my first OnePlus device. I'm coming from a 5-year-old HTC One so updating pretty much meant wiping phone completely and reinstalling the ROM. I watched that video on the local update method. Good to know that even the full ROM installation doesn't wipe my data.

I do need some clarification on some things, though. I'm case 2 - stock ROM, unlocked BL & rooted. I have YouTube Vanced installed via Magisk as well as AdAway. I assume those would be considered modifications. In this guide, https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78026660&postcount=3, it says that rooted users need to first uninstall Magisk & restore images before installing the update. Then reinstall Magisk after updating. But here it doesn't mention the need to do this. What's the difference between these two processes? I've read lots of posts lately where people get into a soft brick situation after making some modifications. But I'm not seeing any explinations as to why this happens & I'd like to avoid that.

If I use the local update method from this thread, will Magisk survive the update and will I still be rooted? Or will I need to reinstall it & re-root?

If you flash a stock rom you will lose all the mods you already do, root and twrp included. If you want you can keep the root, i will attach a image guide.
      I don't know what was wrong with my magisk hide. It was not working properly.

I had same setup but with stable OOS but until I deny Google Play Services Telephone Access, mobile payments never worked.

Moreover after denying that access other apps behaved abnormally.

Also I was successful to relock my bootloader with the command. If it wasn't stock then my phone would have been bricked. Correct?
      I... Don't know. I never considered locking a bootloader purposely. Let alone while it's running a custom ROM. Either it'll just get locked in on the ROM (probably removing root) or it'll create a vacuum in your house which will eventually implode and drag your entire neighbourhood to bits.

It could also deny the lock command, let's hope Android chose this path. You'd most likely have to unlock again if it did work.

Google clearly doesn't like being denied access ?
      Anyway, telephone access is commonly needed and usually it's merely used to read phone state so it can handle interruptions by an incoming caller properly. Big G also uses this permission for when you shout 'Hey Google, call my ex and then hang up in her!'*.

*Not an actually working command. Believe me, I've tried.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs