[How-To] Update to G870A_OC5 (Active Model Only) - 5.0 and KeepRoot (4/15/2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mtpmd

Apr 22, 2015
No.1 I’m not a dev, No. 2 this is not my work, People far more intelligent put this together, No.3 You need to know you’re doing this at your own risk. From your post looks like you don’t have much to lose.
Read
[How To] Recover From a Hard Brick (SM-900A Only) But I’m giving you 2 Debrick .img’s I made 1. NE4 & 2 OC5. This is the code I put in the terminal emulator to get them, it seems to have worked correctly ( busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/200MB.img bs=4096 count=50000 )I would hope someone could check what I did.
[....]

Well, tyvm, but, the phone gone brick part was actually already all solved - I'll save this for future reference (and hope also someone else validates it, since you say you're not sure), and hope something parallel an be done on the 870A - I'm sure it might be useful at some point - but, since the phone was only a few days old, and I couldn't wait for the outcome of messing around more and didn't think I'd done something to fu-bar it, I just exchanged it for a new one - they couldn't start it at all either, and didn't give me any hassle. about the exchange, or even ask me if identify been messing with it, even though they were surprised to see a brand new phone fail, so it was all good, except it was a PITA having to re-set everything up though....

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I installed lollipop via the original method (extracting tar from rar before flashing) and have had no functionality concerns at all, but was wondering if there would there be any benefit to reflashing with the most current method?

No, the new method only simplifies the process reducing the chances of user error. But there is zero performance advantage over the previous process.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
@muniz_ri do you know if anyone is working to get Safestrap to work with this?

No, in my opinion safestrap is now obsolete. FF is now my recovery solution of choice.

Also, I will be testing MultiSystem by hasbdr for the S5 once it is ready. It will allow you to create rom slots very similar to safestrap. Should be available soon.

talkingmonkeys

Inactive Recognized RC / RT
May 15, 2013
Do we know if Xposed Framework is available for the Active?
No.

h72n1mG.png

parkerj7uc

Dec 27, 2011
Cincinnati
No, in my opinion safestrap is now obsolete. FF is now my recovery solution of choice.

Also, I will be testing MultiSystem by hasbdr for the S5 once it is ready. It will allow you to create rom slots very similar to safestrap. Should be available soon.
Ok well I need some advice. Say I flash a framework-res and I reboot. And it bootloops. Is the only way to get out of it is to Odin back and start all over again? With Safestrap I would go into recovery and put the original framework back in place and would be good to go. Am I missing something, can you do that with the new FF.

Am I reading right that Multisystem will be a recovery to replace Safestrap?

Last edited:

talkingmonkeys

May 15, 2013
No...
As in we don't know?
Or no it's not supported?
I fit's not supported is there work being done to bring it back?
Sorry for the brief answer. This question is asked so often. It's not supported and with a new update to xposed in the last few days it was in the posts that there is no progress on it and no eta.

h72n1mG.png

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Ok well I need some advice. Say I flash a framework-res and I reboot. And it bootloops. Is the only way to get out of it is to Odin back and start all over again? With Safestrap I would go into recovery and put the original framework back in place and would be good to go. Am I missing something, can you do that with the new FF.

Am I reading right that Multisystem will be a recovery to replace Safestrap?
You can't with flashfire which is why from a developing point of view safestrap is still needed for now

h72n1mG.png

Reactions: nutt_case

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
Sorry for the brief answer. This question is asked so often. It's not supported and with a new update to xposed in the last few days it was in the posts that there is no progress on it and no eta.

h72n1mG.png

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

You can't with flashfire which is why from a developing point of view safestrap is still needed for now

h72n1mG.png
If developing for kitkat yes, you cant get in to safestrap from L unless you can fully boot so you are in the same boat as using FF.

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

talkingmonkeys

May 15, 2013
If developing for kitkat yes, you cant get in to safestrap from L unless you can fully boot so you are in the same boat as using FF.

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You can get into safestrap from L without booting. You just need to be at a pc and use odin. A small roadblock but if you're developing you should be near a pc anyway

Last edited:

larryg4438

Sep 23, 2011
Philadelphia
About Safe Strap

[FONT=&quot]Now Safe Strap is letting me mount the System partition, and it is letting me flash the team blackout Mod app zip’s. They have a download app if anyone is interested 5.0.x, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Did a fresh install, and form the door, Updated Superuser, and installed BusyBox Stephen (Stericson) Version 1.23.1, don’t think it made a difference but also installed Chainfire’s [root] adbd insecure, then installed safestrap Safestrap-KLTEATT-ND3-3.75-B03.apk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] After test flashing, I found I did still need to go into System/priv-app/Velvet(in this case for the BlackGoogleApp]/ arm Folder and delete the .odxe.art.xz & .odex.xz files first. Tried wipe of Dalvik-cache 1st time tried to flash and it won’t delete them 2 files. I’m thinking it the way the updater-script or update-binary is written??? After deletion installed no problem. Didn’t wipe Dalvik-cache 2nd time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Went into safestrap via ([/FONT]talkingmonkeys[FONT=&quot] ) method, went to mounts ticked system, went back to install, and flashed the BlackGoogleApp-4.2.16.87075793-LP.zip. Went back into Download mode via SS, and flashed back to G870A_OC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5, and done.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This app was a problem trying to install with root explorer. (Fyi) just for the hell of it turn off auto updates in playstore also if you do this…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Soon as I can, going to do another backup, see if it isn’t bigger than the last one of 2.4GB, then I’ll know if it mounted system last time or not, the last time think it only did backup of Data & Cash.[/FONT]
New backup did 3 Partitions this time backup size 4.5 So looking good.

Thanks talkingmonkeys[FONT=&quot] :good:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And [/FONT] muniz_ri for getting this started. :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: muniz_ri

Infuser86

Feb 3, 2012
I have been on 5.0 for about a week now. It ass great until today. Numerous app crashes. Can't write to sd. Phone says I don't have enough storage to save an image when I'm face I do. Has anyone else had this issue? If so please help. I can't even reliably use my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
    1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
    2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
    - Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Caution!**The process below is only for the AT&T G870A S5 "Active" Variant! Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick.

Downloads:
    - G870A_OC5_Stock_Rooted_ROM

- G870A_OC5_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" settings.
    6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
    - G870A_OC5_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).

Notes:
    1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
    2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OC5. The OC5 Bootloader allows for downgrading your firmware at any time.
    3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you do not already have root access or to unbrick you must flash the G870AUCU1ANE4_Full_Odin.tar and root with TowelRoot before continuing with the above process.
    5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2

Credits:
    @nutt_case - for capturing the ota update.
    it works! no lag at boot. now has correct boot screen. checking root now waiting for a root app to install root work as well yeaaa great job

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

The files that I PM'd are new files and have not been tested.

everything works rebooted 3 times no lag and root is fully working. ff worked flawlessly. ty for everything i'll throw a donation ur way soon.
    Update......I have sucessfully tested a stock, rooted ROM which can be flashed with FF. Will post link shortly for testing before updating the OP. In the meantime I will continue testing the firmware method.

Thanks to those that displayed patience while I worked to resolve the issue......so noted!
    Uploaded new Firmware file in .zip format.

This means that there is no longer a need to extract a .tar from a .rar before flashing. You can now download the .zip file directly to your device or PC and move the .zip file to your device and flash. Follow the updated instructions in the OP.
    Don't worry you guys are getting some attention too. I'm trying to figure out how to get cstayton's multi device script for installing working with lollipop. AllianceROM 8.0 too. Hopefully I can add this last touch before putting that out and making a deodexed base to build from.

I'll be looking for some g870a testers when the time comes in the next few days.