[How-To] Update to G900A_OC4 - 5.0 and KeepRoot (4/8/2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
- Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Notice** - I light of the new OF2 update these ROM's are no longer safe. Stand by for a new KeepRoot thread!

Downloads:
- G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wOA1_BL

- G900A_OC4_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM_wOA1_BL

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" setting.
6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes ( 10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
- None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
- G900A_OC4_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4. Your Bootloader will only be updated OA1 allowing for downgrading your firmware at anytime.
3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
4. The TetherAddOn has been moved Here.
5. If you do not already have root access or to unbrick you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar(Caution! Do not use if you have taken the OC4 ota update) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
6. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2

Last edited:

marius1985

Jun 19, 2012
korce
**You can begin the following process from any previous Build/ROM but you must already have root and Safestrap installed. Make certain Reactivation lock is unchecked!**

Instructions:
1. Extract the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup from the .rar archive and place it into the following folder: ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/xxxxxx, fyi...the name of this folder will vary. If the folder does not already exist you must first use Safestrap to create a nandroid backup and Safestrap will create the folder for you.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
3. From the main menu press "Restore," then select and restore the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup.
4. Once complete from the main menu press "Reboot," then reboot into "Download" mode.
5. Last, flash the G900A_OC4_Stock_Partitions_wOA1_BL using Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+) and reboot. Done!

After completing the above process your device will pause on the AT&T splash screen for 5 - 10 minutes before completely rebooting.

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Notes:
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4 and your Bootloader to OA1 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. Safestrap will no longer function after updating to 5.0.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

I did everything as you said, but when I am trying to restore I says RESTORE FAIL??? What should I do
I was on 4.4.4???
Now I downgrade to 4.4.2 with G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar but again I cant make OTA update
Please help

Last edited:

nicetucu

Mar 10, 2014
Salem, Oregon
I suggest that since safestrap no longer works, to do the data backup in KIES before this method and restore after doing this method.

Good idea.... I did not do this lol, but I have some titanium backups on my sd card.

I was on the pre-rooted 4.4.4 that muniz_ri put together a couple of months ago. Worked well and quickly without any problems.

I actually don't mind starting fresh.... anything else I'll use titanium ... I miss safestrap though (security blanket wise lol).

Nice work again muniz_ri.

Reactions: muniz_ri

kenslee123

Feb 5, 2015
**You can begin the following process from any previous Build/ROM but you must already have root and Safestrap installed. Make certain Reactivation lock is unchecked!**

Instructions:
1. Extract the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup from the .rar archive and place it into the following folder: ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/xxxxxx, fyi...the name of this folder will vary. If the folder does not already exist you must first use Safestrap to create a nandroid backup and Safestrap will create the folder for you.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
3. From the main menu press "Restore," then select and restore the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup.
4. Once complete from the main menu press "Reboot," then reboot into "Download" mode.
5. Last, flash the G900A_OC4_Stock_Partitions_wOA1_BL using Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+) and reboot. Done!

After completing the above process your device will pause on the AT&T splash screen for 5 - 10 minutes before completely rebooting.

Notes:
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4 and your Bootloader to OA1 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. Safestrap will no longer function after updating to 5.0.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

I successfully did a backup via Kies and via Safestrap onto my external SD, but when I installed 5.0 and the updated kernel... I restored my backup from Kies and it did successfully restore, but it apparently didn't restore my apps, is there a way I can restore my apps with the backup from Safestrap? Thanks for any replies in advance.

samccfl99

Jan 2, 2013
COCONUT CREEK, FL
Sorry to be a pain but for those of us that just rooted before and never used Safestrap,can you break it down Barney style so everybody can understand it correctly plz? I've never used SS and would like to keep my root but am leary of using SS and doing backups,etc. I'm on 4.4.4. OA1 stock,rooted.

check out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56707749&postcount=294

then install busybox then safestrap (not to worry, works great, been around quite a while), create/install recovery in SS, make a current backup and then follow the great instructions in post #1 :cowboy:

but if you dont like L, then its back to the beginning with NCE, root, SS, go back to OA1 and then restore your OA1 bu from SS

http://forum.xda-developers.com/att...to-root-g900aucu2aoa1-4-4-4-2-3-2015-t3021120

at least this is my understanding and i have gone from 442/NG3 to OA1 and back this way and it works fine, dont take too long either. just need all the files.

pennywisdom

May 5, 2006
Thank you for the guide, I will run it soon. Xposed Framework is working just fine with Lollipop as well right? Besides Titanium Backup that is my other need for root.

Reactions: muniz_ri

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Been following this since yesterday, just made an account to say fantastic work muniz, this really helps out the community.

One thing though, once we move to Lollipop, are we able to do the same as Verizon and flash the old kernel to access Safestrap?

Have not seen it confirmed yet but it should work. Added the kernels to the OP.

Reactions: jimwick and kipptc

samccfl99

Jan 2, 2013
COCONUT CREEK, FL
There is a safestrap replacement coming out of the vz note 3 forum soon. Should work on the S5.

thats great news! please let us know when you know...

just one thing when u have a chance to respond. obviously i dont trust google's great development team. so IF L is not so good yet (do we know if this is 5.0 or 5.0.1 or .2?) is there an easier way to get back to 442/NG3. i have read in the post how to bring SS back temporarily, so my real question is Can i Odin the G900A_NG3_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 and then just restore my XDK install or do i need to go back to NCE and go forward? (i think the answer is no, but hey, its worth it to ask). this is the part i do not understand about SELinux and the partitions and what they do.

i thank you for all your hard work and a small donation will be coming soon. YOU ARE THE CHAMP!!!

samccfl99

Jan 2, 2013
COCONUT CREEK, FL
Unless something has changed very recently, it is only working for AOSP, it is causing bootloops on any Touchwiz based Lollipop.

so you are saying Xposed dont work right now if we go to L? what good is that? i wonder what else dont work??? we have the touchwiz because of stupid att and their locked bootloader, right? wish i had a 900-F....really want to play with this, but what is the point??? plus if this is just plain 5.0, well then hell, another should not be too far behind it. do u think ATT fixed any bugs from 5.0 (can they even?)

yash.mann97

Feb 11, 2015

Pls someone help , I updated to Lolipop and downgraded my phone to 4.4.2 and got my phone soft bricked . I tried flashing OC4 stock partitons wl 0AL bootlader but it is not flashing and is showing failed . Pls can you upload the previous orignal OC4 stock partition files ? This new OC4 stock partition file is different . Pls I am screwed
Thanks

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012

Pls someone help , I updated to Lolipop and downgraded my phone to 4.4.2 and got my phone soft bricked . I tried flashing OC4 stock partitons wl 0AL bootlader but it is not flashing and is showing failed . Pls can you upload the previous orignal OC4 stock partition files ? This new OC4 stock partition file is different . Pls I am screwed
Thanks

Just flash the OC4 kernel from the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
    1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
    2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
    - Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Notice** - I light of the new OF2 update these ROM's are no longer safe. Stand by for a new KeepRoot thread!

Downloads:
    - G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wOA1_BL

- G900A_OC4_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM_wOA1_BL

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" setting.
    6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes ( 10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
    - G900A_OC4_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).

Notes:
    2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4. Your Bootloader will only be updated OA1 allowing for downgrading your firmware at anytime.
    3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. The TetherAddOn has been moved Here.
    5. If you do not already have root access or to unbrick you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar(Caution! Do not use if you have taken the OC4 ota update) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
    6. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2
    I want you guys to know that alliancerom will be ported soon. I will be getting it done and sending it to Goldie to release for us hopefully within the week.

Its not completely stable on 7.1 but its usable. I've used it for a few days and it runs good but I've had some weird things happen but they seem to work themselves out and stop. I don't feel like going into a lot of detail especially since 8 just came out so I'm going to work on it instead and test it for a few days. It may have some bugs but it will be worth waiting for.

h72n1mG.png
    Wish I knew this before updating....I was using xposed module to bypass tethering restriction and now I have lost that ability :(

I will be creating a tether addon for myself. Will share later tonight.
    Preferably alliance lollipop for g900f the KitKat version works on my g900a also I know safestrap doesn't work but what if you just used safestrap to flash the ROM on nd3 kernel then reupgrade the kernel to 5.0 then boot

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

That should work for non-AROMA installer ROM's. I just looked at the Alliance 5.0 ROM and it uses an AROMA installer. I will try a couple things and see if I can port for the G900A.
    Muniz ur work is amazing. R we any closer to having root through 5.0??
    Asking every day isn't helping it get done quicker

h72n1mG.png
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone